gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

zombie343 wrote: 1.) I own the original gscartw (with VGA and Scart output), and gcompsw...can someone point me to the correct USA power supply to use for each one?
Older 4:1 gcompsw needs positive polarity barrel plug. As of gscartsw, if it's v3.2+ the same power supply will work (if not, you need a tip with negative polarity)
Positive polarity: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/5023722
Negative polarity: (use Sega Genesis 1 PSU or compatible)
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

For those that want to connect the gscartsw to the gcompsw: https://www.retrorgb.com/new-scart-to-c ... e-chi.html
zombie343

Post by zombie343 »

superg wrote:
zombie343 wrote: 1.) I own the original gscartw (with VGA and Scart output), and gcompsw...can someone point me to the correct USA power supply to use for each one?
Older 4:1 gcompsw needs positive polarity barrel plug. As of gscartsw, if it's v3.2+ the same power supply will work (if not, you need a tip with negative polarity)
Ok so I just confirmed I bought the V3.2 gscartw was on January 2016 and the gcompsw v1.1 on May 2017.

Will this work? http://www.retrogamecave.com/shop/45771 ... y/11238207

I prefer not to use the original Sega PSU as it generates a LOT of heat.
DGTechnology

Post by DGTechnology »

Dear superg,

I am wondering how to contact you on private message?
I have a sale question about your product.

Best regards,
superg

Post by superg »

zombie343 wrote:
superg wrote:
Ok so I just confirmed I bought the V3.2 gscartw was on January 2016 and the gcompsw v1.1 on May 2017.

Will this work? http://www.retrogamecave.com/shop/45771 ... y/11238207

I prefer not to use the original Sega PSU as it generates a LOT of heat.
v3.2 should already use positive polarity so get one from digikey. The polarity is written on switch near power plug, check it.
superg

Post by superg »

DGTechnology wrote:Dear superg,

I am wondering how to contact you on private message?
I have a sale question about your product.

Best regards,
PM on forum?
LapinBeau

Post by LapinBeau »

superg wrote:
LapinBeau wrote:Hey SuperG.

Eagerly awaiting my preordered component switchbox! It's gonna save SO much wire space (Modded NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, PS2, Gamecube)... But I got two questions:

Firstly, how is production going? Any time frame on delivery? I'm not impatient, I'm just asking how things are going so I don't keep needlessly holding my breath. (though it WOULD be nice to show my old highschool friends who are coming to visit July 17th.) :)

Secondly... a tech question, didn't know who else to ask: My CRT television is fully functional. But on some PS2 games (Klonoa 2 for instance) my television sometimes cuts to a blue "no signal" screen for a moment during a screen transition. Like, the screen goes black, then blue, then a moment later the next scene fades in. I think it's my TV automatically changing modes because it thinks there is no signal. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Is this a switchbox problem, or a TV problem? Or is it a PS2 problem? And if it is a box problem, well... I'm no tech expert, but would a "constant signal" from the box help with this issue?
If everything goes good, I should have this gcompsw batch in July, that is posted in the first thread.
Your CRT: Some PS2 games switch resolutions in game, it looks like your TV needs some time to lock on a sync after that. Switch is not going to help with this.
Damn... Well even if it doesn't fix my CRT, I'm still looking forward to the switcher! At least now I know exactly what the issue is!
droderic

Post by droderic »

Hi SuperG.

To send you a private message, I apparently need to make a post and get it approved which helps ShMUPS weed out unwanted accounts. So, awaiting approval until I can message you privately!
DJ Kevgeez

Post by DJ Kevgeez »

Does anyone use the 4 DIP Switches?

Are any of them used as a Low Pass filter?
superg

Post by superg »

DJ Kevgeez wrote:Does anyone use the 4 DIP Switches?

Are any of them used as a Low Pass filter?
DIP switch functions are explained on the order page. There is no low pass filter in gscartsw v5.2.
harrisony

Post by harrisony »

Is there a pinout for the EXT header available?
DGTechnology

Post by DGTechnology »

Dear all,

I am wondering how to connect gcompws to the framemeister ?
Could someone recommande best component and composite (gold plate shielded?) male to male cables?

I guess we have to connect gcompsw component 5 outputs to the d-terminal cable of the framemeister and one output to the front composite.
But then how to duplicate L and R audio output required for component and composite ?

Best regards,
kousaka

Post by kousaka »

3 component video outputs to framemeister dterminal adapter
Audio is shared for both and goes to front of framemeister.
Composite video goes to front also.
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

Best places to get scart cables and adapters for scart cables (for things like the framemeister) are retro access and retro gaming cables.
https://retro-access.com/
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/

Personally I like Retro Gaming Cables more since they are thinner (so easier to work with) and they have injection molded ends. They also ship overseas so don't rule them out if you live in the Americas.
makar1

Post by makar1 »

DGTechnology wrote: I guess we have to connect gcompsw component 5 outputs to the d-terminal cable of the framemeister and one output to the front composite.
But then how to duplicate L and R audio output required for component and composite ?
You can use Y splitters for line level audio as the inputs are high impedance.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Is it possibly to daisy-chain 3x gscartsw together?
DGTechnology

Post by DGTechnology »

Dazdigo wrote:Best places to get scart cables and adapters for scart cables (for things like the framemeister) are retro access and retro gaming cables.
https://retro-access.com/
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/

Personally I like Retro Gaming Cables more since they are thinner (so easier to work with) and they have injection molded ends. They also ship overseas so don't rule them out if you live in the Americas.
None of these sites has male to male component cables to plug gcompsw and framemeister together.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DGTechnology wrote:Dear all,

Could someone recommande best component and composite (gold plate shielded?) male to male cables?

I guess we have to connect gcompsw component 5 outputs to the d-terminal cable of the framemeister and one output to the front composite.

Best regards,
Best way would be to use male-to-male component cables and a component to D-Terminal adapter.

If you have a dual-output gcompsw, just run one output to the D-Terminal input and the other to the composite input.

If you only have a single-output gcompsw, get a stereo RCA distribution amp, plug the component output of the gcompsw into the D-Terminal input on the Framemeister, plug the composite output of the gcompsw into the composite input on the Framemeister, then connect the stereo audio output to the input on the DA and use two outputs of the DA to connect to each of the D-Terminal and composite/S-Video inputs on the Framemeister.
superg

Post by superg »

Speedy wrote:Is it possibly to daisy-chain 3x gscartsw together?
Of course it is possible.
DGTechnology wrote:Dear all,

Best regards,
I suggest to check hd retrovision cables, I use them here (male to male RCA cable). However you will need female RCA to D-Terminal adapter.
superg

Post by superg »

Guys, I got all gcompsw units delivered. Getting ready to start flashing and testing everything. Will be shipping next week.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

superg wrote:Guys, I got all gcompsw units delivered. Getting ready to start flashing and testing everything. Will be shipping next week.
Ah man I'm starting to get excited!!! Best news I've heard all week!!!
Lux

Post by Lux »

Great news !
DMG

Post by DMG »

Very good news, thanks!
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

Sorry got the Gscartsw mixed with the Gcompsw. I agree that HDRetrovision is the best option but you can also go with some cheap ones from Monoprice or Amazon if you are going to use a short run.
LapinBeau

Post by LapinBeau »

Nice. :) Will you need us to message you shipping information, or do you already have everything you need? Is there an email we can send a message to, just to confirm our preorder?

Also DANG, was hoping it would get here sooner so I could show my old highschool friends. :)

And yeah, I got HDRetrovision cables for pretty much all my systems. Except for Wii. Honestly not sure how much difference that would make over the official cables.
superg

Post by superg »

LapinBeau wrote:Nice. :) Will you need us to message you shipping information, or do you already have everything you need? Is there an email we can send a message to, just to confirm our preorder?

Also DANG, was hoping it would get here sooner so I could show my old highschool friends. :)

And yeah, I got HDRetrovision cables for pretty much all my systems. Except for Wii. Honestly not sure how much difference that would make over the official cables.
Don't message me, I have everything.
40wattrange

Post by 40wattrange »

superg wrote: Don't message me, I have everything.

So it's safe to say if I have a Venmo/PayPal receipt we are good? That's the only type of confirmation I received.
metallik

Post by metallik »

Hey there superg, long time lurker, first time poster and proud owner of a 4 port gcompsw... looking forward to getting the 8x2 upgrade! Ive had to daisy chain an inferior switch recently to get everything hooked up and this should fix that mess right up.

I do hope you have everything, as I can't find any confirmation of my order except the paypal receipt on my CC history. Guess I checked out as guest somehow. My address hasn't changed so I figure it'll show up no problem. OTOH if you have any unknown orders charged on May 7, drop me a line : ) Thanks for making these!
superg

Post by superg »

metallik wrote:Hey there superg, long time lurker, first time poster and proud owner of a 4 port gcompsw... looking forward to getting the 8x2 upgrade! Ive had to daisy chain an inferior switch recently to get everything hooked up and this should fix that mess right up.

I do hope you have everything, as I can't find any confirmation of my order except the paypal receipt on my CC history. Guess I checked out as guest somehow. My address hasn't changed so I figure it'll show up no problem. OTOH if you have any unknown orders charged on May 7, drop me a line : ) Thanks for making these!
As I've said, if you have a paypal transaction record it's fine. The switch will be shipped to the address specified at the paypal checkout.

Please no more questions on confirmations, I won't be checking - if you see the paypal transaction, you're good.
I hate to repeat myself and I am busy delivering the switches.

I spent a few evenings to improve my testing routine, turned out 8:2 switch takes much more time to test due to RCA plug / unplug for every port, I soldered some adapter which allows simultaneous insertion of all RCA connectors at once for a given port, that helps a lot. 10% of switches are already tested and are currently being assembled. I will try to assemble as much as I can this week and everything will be dropped off next Monday. During the process you will get a shipping confirmation from paypal with tracking. First come first served. If you don't get paypal email notifications, log in to paypal and click on the transaction, if it's shipped, the tracking will be there. I will not respond to shipping status questions until everything is shipped.
makar1

Post by makar1 »

nmalinoski wrote: If you only have a single-output gcompsw, get a stereo RCA distribution amp, plug the component output of the gcompsw into the D-Terminal input on the Framemeister, plug the composite output of the gcompsw into the composite input on the Framemeister, then connect the stereo audio output to the input on the DA and use two outputs of the DA to connect to each of the D-Terminal and composite/S-Video inputs on the Framemeister.
You don't need an amplifier to drive a pair of 10k ohm line inputs from a single line output. Only low impedance video signals require amplification, hence the existence of dual output gscartsw and gcompsw.