gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

energizerfellow‌ wrote:Does the sync DSP have Automatic Frequency Control (AFC) (Sony's branding for the simple line TBC or frame sync found in SVHS and DVD recorders?) for correcting a wavy flagging image due to a corrupt sync signal missing the horizontal slices in the vertical sync block? This is a thing with the SMS, PCE, or MVS/AES on the A-series BVMs that lack VCR mode, along with the JVC DT-V and some Ikegami, possibly others. I'm also 99% sure it's the root cause of Taito F3 on OSSC issues as well. This can be fixed via the SERR switch on a Extron RGB 160xi (all Extron "xi" boxes including the current RGB 580xi?), but having it on the gscartsw would be nice.
Sync processing is implemented using high speed ADC and Altera. I'm aware of this and it was discussed numerous times with retrorgb, there is an ongoing effort to have that functionality and I already have a monitor setup here. But it's something that I don't advertise before I have it working. First things first, I have to finish the new firmware and then there will be time to work on it.
energizerfellow‌ wrote: Since you mentioned SoG issues, is this what you ran into?

https://www.intersil.com/content/dam/In ... /tb476.pdf
These were not SoG-related issues, it was a generic problem of 40MHz Altera clock and some of the processing that is done.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

superg wrote:
energizerfellow‌ wrote:Does the sync DSP have Automatic Frequency Control (AFC) (Sony's branding for the simple line TBC or frame sync found in SVHS and DVD recorders?) for correcting a wavy flagging image due to a corrupt sync signal missing the horizontal slices in the vertical sync block? This is a thing with the SMS, PCE, or MVS/AES on the A-series BVMs that lack VCR mode, along with the JVC DT-V and some Ikegami, possibly others. I'm also 99% sure it's the root cause of Taito F3 on OSSC issues as well. This can be fixed via the SERR switch on a Extron RGB 160xi (all Extron "xi" boxes including the current RGB 580xi?), but having it on the gscartsw would be nice.
Sync processing is implemented using high speed ADC and Altera. I'm aware of this and it was discussed numerous times with retrorgb, there is an ongoing effort to have that functionality and I already have a monitor setup here. But it's something that I don't advertise before I have it working. First things first, I have to finish the new firmware and then there will be time to work on it.
Wow, superg continues to go above and beyond. I realize it is too early to make commitments. But can you guess as to whether or not this feature could be upgradable in the field by owners? ie. Loading new firmware via JTAG port? Or would it require a new hardware revision?
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
superg

Post by superg »

the Goat wrote:
superg wrote:
Wow, superg continues to go above and beyond. I realize it is too early to make commitments. But can you guess as to whether or not this feature could be upgradable in the field by owners? ie. Loading new firmware via JTAG port? Or would it require a new hardware revision?
No, it should be supported without upgrading hardware. I will do my best to have it included as early as I can however this is something "optional" at the moment.
Mikehammer

Post by Mikehammer »

Hello, I am French and I would like to know if the "GSCARTSW" is compatible with the European consoles? and if so how to make a pre-order?
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

@superg considering you've previously said updating the firmware would require sending gscartsw units back (in the case of bugs for example), does that mean therefore that if you sort Automatic Frequency Control (AFC), that it'd probably be a paid update that requires sending units back for?

Personally, I'd really value it as a feature as there's some HD BVMs that are lacking support for this, but you're probably aiming at getting units out ASAP and then potentially sorting this at some point in the future?
superg

Post by superg »

coderkind wrote:@superg considering you've previously said updating the firmware would require sending gscartsw units back (in the case of bugs for example), does that mean therefore that if you sort Automatic Frequency Control (AFC), that it'd probably be a paid update that requires sending units back for?

Personally, I'd really value it as a feature as there's some HD BVMs that are lacking support for this, but you're probably aiming at getting units out ASAP and then potentially sorting this at some point in the future?
No, I'm not going to charge anything. Obviously the shipping both ways has to be covered.
Yes, I have to deliver first.

Also a good time for some update: The new redesigned firmware is able to switch inputs automatically, auto detect on sync / green is there, SoG forwarding is done, HD progressive resolutions are tested and work.
Now what is left is to return SoG->RGBS conversion and implement DIP SoG modes.
Kez

Post by Kez »

superg wrote:No, I'm not going to charge anything. Obviously the shipping both ways has to be covered.
This could still prove pretty costly for people outside of the US. Is performing the update manually (at your own risk) completely out of the question? Or perhaps providing the firmware to a few "trusted" modders spread around the world who can perform the service, even if they did it for a fee I imagine it would cost a lot less than shipping something back and forth internationally. Especially as you'd probably end up paying duty on it.
superg

Post by superg »

Kez wrote:
superg wrote:No, I'm not going to charge anything. Obviously the shipping both ways has to be covered.
This could still prove pretty costly for people outside of the US. Is performing the update manually (at your own risk) completely out of the question? Or perhaps providing the firmware to a few "trusted" modders spread around the world who can perform the service, even if they did it for a fee I imagine it would cost a lot less than shipping something back and forth internationally. Especially as you'd probably end up paying duty on it.
I won't publish firmware because this is the only thing preventing clones, it has nothing to do with the risk of bricking.
Also as something neither advertised nor implemented I already regret that I mentioned it early. Please no more questions about it.
Mikehammer

Post by Mikehammer »

Hello
It’s working on european console ??
Lomax

Post by Lomax »

Mikehammer wrote:Hello
It’s working on european console ??
Yes.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Superg,

Will you post a "final call" notice before you order the components for the next batch of gscartsw's? I want to order one. But I do not have a steady paycheck at the moment. So I cannot have the money tied up in a long pre-order.
-the Goat
PauluzNL

Post by PauluzNL »

Hi SuperG,

I know you hate this but I am moving to another house in 2 months. I already changed my main address in Paypal. Please make sure to use the new one.
My apologies for the inconvenience.

Contact me if you need more info. Thank you.

ps. I can't find any other way to contact you, so I used this forum.
memphis70047

Post by memphis70047 »

Any time table on when the parts will arrive and when the units will ship? I placed my order back in September and I am anxious to receive the gscartsw and complete my retro gaming setup.

Thanks
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

SuperG just wanted to say I'm really enjoying your interview with RetroRGB.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

@superg watching your interview with Bob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVRYHIpt7r0

Good interview so far!
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Johnpv wrote:SuperG just wanted to say I'm really enjoying your interview with RetroRGB.
Here is the interview for anybody interested.
-the Goat
superg

Post by superg »

the Goat wrote:Superg,

Will you post a "final call" notice before you order the components for the next batch of gscartsw's? I want to order one. But I do not have a steady paycheck at the moment. So I cannot have the money tied up in a long pre-order.
Surely I will.
Johnpv wrote:SuperG just wanted to say I'm really enjoying your interview with RetroRGB.
coderkind wrote:@superg watching your interview with Bob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVRYHIpt7r0

Good interview so far!
the Goat wrote: Here is the interview for anybody interested.
Thanks guys! That was in Chicago HD Retrovision office, was very interesting to meet Ste and Dan (citrus3000psi), and thanks goes to Bob for organising everything!
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

I was just watching your RetroRGB interview and you mentioned contacting the first batch purchasers of the SoG about asking if they are wanting to have their order delayed to add an extra feature, I was wondering if you already sent this email out?
Personally, I wouldn't mind waiting an extra month or two to get the full suite of features myself.
superg

Post by superg »

Dazdigo wrote:I was just watching your RetroRGB interview and you mentioned contacting the first batch purchasers of the SoG about asking if they are wanting to have their order delayed to add an extra feature, I was wondering if you already sent this email out?
Personally, I wouldn't mind waiting an extra month or two to get the full suite of features myself.
Not yet, will be sending it on a weekend. The stuff is still not done :(, I will be also sending an email about that.
superg

Post by superg »

PauluzNL wrote:Hi SuperG,

I know you hate this but I am moving to another house in 2 months. I already changed my main address in Paypal. Please make sure to use the new one.
My apologies for the inconvenience.

Contact me if you need more info. Thank you.

ps. I can't find any other way to contact you, so I used this forum.
It's totally ok as I'm the one who slows it down. I'll send you a PM later and we will sort this out.
superg

Post by superg »

I've sent an email to everybody who pre-ordered the switch about the current status and firmware delay. Basically the aggregated information I post here because not everybody is checking this topic.

In addition to that I've sent another email to everybody who is in the first sub-batch.
Jman

Post by Jman »

No worries. Take the time you need :)
AlxUnderBase

Post by AlxUnderBase »

superg wrote:I've sent an email to everybody who pre-ordered the switch about the current status and firmware delay. Basically the aggregated information I post here because not everybody is checking this topic.

In addition to that I've sent another email to everybody who is in the first sub-batch.
Hello mr. SuperG ! Sir, can you send me the email again, because i didn't get anything until now ! I think i'm in the first batch, i don't know if i am there (but i preorder a unit after 50 minutes before you put it for sale again :roll:). If you need anything from my side, i'll send you right away. Thanks in advance for all !

Best,
Alex
superg

Post by superg »

AlxUnderBase wrote: Hello mr. SuperG ! Sir, can you send me the email again, because i didn't get anything until now ! I think i'm in the first batch, i don't know if i am there (but i preorder a unit after 50 minutes before you put it for sale again :roll:). If you need anything from my side, i'll send you right away. Thanks in advance for all !
I don't think you're in the first batch. It's always a spike when I open the pre-orders. I got a lot of orders in the first 20 seconds.
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

I wasn't in the first batch either and I did the order an hour after it opened as well.
Bummer, but not a big deal.
comp1demon

Post by comp1demon »

I ordered within Seconds of the Preorders opening. As I was refreshing every 3 seconds. My paypal was already logged into and ready to go. I saw the Order come up. I added to cart and checked out. Took me maybe 10 seconds total. No way I was more than 30-40 seconds after pre orders opened and I was not in the first batch.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Well the bright side of not being in the first batch is that you don't have to face the hard choice of getting it now or waiting for the full-featured firmware.
xga

Post by xga »

I'm curios to know if anyone in the first batch has an "A" series BVM with the BKM-68X board and will be able to test the new "Generate horizontal slices in the vertical sync" feature to see it that fixes the sync issues with that monitor?
superg

Post by superg »

xga wrote:I'm curios to know if anyone in the first batch has an "A" series BVM with the BKM-68X board and will be able to test the new "Generate horizontal slices in the vertical sync" feature to see it that fixes the sync issues with that monitor?
Nobody, everybody who replied to my question wants their unit ASAP.
xga

Post by xga »

superg wrote:
xga wrote:I'm curios to know if anyone in the first batch has an "A" series BVM with the BKM-68X board and will be able to test the new "Generate horizontal slices in the vertical sync" feature to see it that fixes the sync issues with that monitor?
Nobody, everybody who replied to my question wants their unit ASAP.
Thanks for your reply, superg. I'll wait with anticipation for the next batch once you have completed the new firmware.