gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
arithmaldor

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by arithmaldor »

H6rdc0re wrote:Do lightguns work on the gscartsw_lite?
The guncon for PS1 even works if you get the sync post switch. I've used the sync out port from my PVM to plug in the guncon composite video cable and it works just fine.
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

superg wrote:
H6rdc0re wrote:Do lightguns work on the gscartsw_lite?
It should work, lightgun processing is pre switch.
That's nice!!! :D

Will you be selling any gscartsw_lites soon?
parodius

Post by parodius »

superg wrote: Current status (06/06/2018):
gscartsw_lite - Working on a new version, got first prototypes and currently debugging and testing. ETA August 2018
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
superg

Post by superg »

SoG circuit works! Did some initial testing on Gran Turismo 4, OSSC perfectly recognizes 525p / 32kHz mode while getting sync from the composite line. I'm testing a few other things to make sure everything else is fine.
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

hoosiershadow wrote:I would love an 8 input 2 output version of the gcompsw.
I would second this, however I can see 8 inputs being a bit of an expensive upgrade due to it taking a large amount of size on the pcb.

Having a Toslink/SPDIF option for both component and scart switches would be nice as well. It would provide superior audio to that of the standard stereo output and provide surround sound options to those that have the equipment for it.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dazdigo wrote:
hoosiershadow wrote:I would love an 8 input 2 output version of the gcompsw.
I would second this, however I can see 8 inputs being a bit of an expensive upgrade due to it taking a large amount of size on the pcb.

Having a Toslink/SPDIF option for both component and scart switches would be nice as well. It would provide superior audio to that of the standard stereo output and provide surround sound options to those that have the equipment for it.
I would love a TOSLINK option, but superg hasn't so far been keen on that addition. As long as he keeps the EXT port, though, there's an opportunity for someone to design addon boards for both the gscartsw and gcompsw to provide TOSLINK.
Pudjay1

Post by Pudjay1 »

Apologies for bringing up an old topic in this thread.

I’ve got the Gscartsw ver3.2 and I use a Megadrive PSU to power it. My problem is it’s a little bulky for my liking and I’d like to get a standard off the shelf PSU. Does anyone know where I could pick up PSU with a UK standard plug that would be compatible with the 3.2 model?

If not can some post the specs for the PSU the 3.2 version requires and I’ll do my own digging around.

Thanks in advance for any help :)
superg

Post by superg »

Pudjay1 wrote:Apologies for bringing up an old topic in this thread.

I’ve got the Gscartsw ver3.2 and I use a Megadrive PSU to power it. My problem is it’s a little bulky for my liking and I’d like to get a standard off the shelf PSU. Does anyone know where I could pick up PSU with a UK standard plug that would be compatible with the 3.2 model?

If not can some post the specs for the PSU the 3.2 version requires and I’ll do my own digging around.

Any 9V 500mA negative polarity one will work. You can get what I currently source (https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/5023722) it's universal and has UK plug but you will need polarity changer adapter like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyboard-Guita ... 2126c077d5
Pudjay1

Post by Pudjay1 »

Thanks SuperG :D
superg

Post by superg »

sync-on-green update, everybody who requested SoG passthrough mode - it's implemented using CS/OFF switch!
RGBS input mode:
OFF - forward CVBS or whatever is provided on input
CS - regenerate clean sync based on input
SoG input mode:
OFF - SoG is forwarded as is
CS - SoG->RGBS conversion and removal of sync from the green line

SoG signal detection: sync is checked on two lines (sync and green) simultaneously, sync line has a priority over green line. Everything is dynamic and transparent, when sync on green disappears (PS2 video mode switching) it switches back and vice versa.
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

This is terrific news! This will allow us to easily use YPbPr (component) with this version of the switch.
I am impressed that you were able to manage this without compromising anything too.
Pudjay1

Post by Pudjay1 »

superg wrote:

Any 9V 500mA negative polarity one will work. You can get what I currently source (https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/5023722) it's universal and has UK plug but you will need polarity changer adapter like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyboard-Guita ... 2126c077d5
So I assume both of these would do the trick then?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Ad ... s=9v+500ma

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-5X2-1mm-to ... XQQUpRB0kY

Thanks again for your help :)
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

Careful with using untested power supplies. Sometimes they supply a lot more voltage than they are rated since they expect the system to have a regulator to drop the voltage down to the correct value.
superg

Post by superg »

Pudjay1 wrote:
superg wrote:

So I assume both of these would do the trick then?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Ad ... s=9v+500ma

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-5X2-1mm-to ... XQQUpRB0kY

Thanks again for your help :)
Should work, but make sure you connect it only through polarity changer - otherwise I don't remember if v3.2 already had reverse polarity protection.
RagingAvatar

Post by RagingAvatar »

@superg Is there any way to preorder the new gscartsw_lite?
XB GT: RagingAvatar
superg

Post by superg »

RagingAvatar wrote:@superg Is there any way to preorder the new gscartsw_lite?
Currently no, I'm still testing the prototypes. Once I'm done I will be planning a next batch, more info later.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

superg wrote:
Currently no, I'm still testing the prototypes. Once I'm done I will be planning a next batch, more info later.
Any chance a guy like me to get one? Unfortunately I'm always behind the curve. For example I still haven't been able to get a GDEMU or Phoebe with all these no life resellers buying up all these wonderful things.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

H6rdc0re wrote:
superg wrote:
Any chance a guy like me to get one? Unfortunately I'm always behind the curve. For example I still haven't been able to get a GDEMU or Phoebe with all these no life resellers buying up all these wonderful things.
Unfortunately, since a good number of these boutique products are developed and produced by a single individual, where continual availability and support is infeasible, if you really want one, you need be vigilant in checking for status updates on at least a semi-regular basis until availability is announced (and it is announced in advance), then add that sale window to your schedule so you can be ready to buy one. If you can't be arsed to remember to do it on your own, set a reminder on your phone or calendar or whatever to check for updates on a weekly basis.

I was able to get a GDEMU order in for the most recent window by paying attention to the updates on the GDEMU website and setting a reminder on my phone for when that ordering window opened, and that window was open for at least an hour and 40 minutes. Admittedly, I had to read through the comments to learn the specific time, and this was a secondary window that opened a week after the first round, which was probably closed in minutes.

In any case, when I'm ready for a gscartsw, I'll be doing the same thing.
arithmaldor

Post by arithmaldor »

It's not really fair to compare the gscartsw to the GDEmu though, you'll know much farther in advance when orders will open and the window will be considerably larger.
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom PCBs!
Twitter: @arithmaldor
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

arithmaldor wrote:It's not really fair to compare the gscartsw to the GDEmu though, you'll know much farther in advance when orders will open and the window will be considerably larger.
You're not wrong about the differences in advance notice and ordering window duration, but you still have to have to take the same approach of repeatedly checking a forum thread or blog site for updates, and then making an effort to be available when the ordering window opens.

As a slight plus to the GDEMU blog, you can at least use an RSS reader to be notified of new posts, which is more helpful than being notified of new posts in this thread; but, for both, updates regarding when the ordering windows open are made by updating those posts, and neither the GDEMU site nor the shmups forums will send you any kind of notification when that happens.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

arithmaldor wrote:It's not really fair to compare the gscartsw to the GDEmu though, you'll know much farther in advance when orders will open and the window will be considerably larger.
I only brought up the comparison because I'm getting pretty sick and tired with these no life/no job resellers buying up everything and making a killing selling them to people missing out in the first place. It's no critique on people like superg making us all this fine hardware. It's on them...
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

Hi superg thanks for your work. I hope you can add 2 outputs to the next gcompsw, 4x2 would be perfect!
superg

Post by superg »

Sefirosu789 wrote:Hi superg thanks for your work. I hope you can add 2 outputs to the next gcompsw, 4x2 would be perfect!
I'm actually thinking about doing 8:2 ports for gcompsw :)
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

superg wrote:I'm actually thinking about doing 8:2 ports for gcompsw :)
That's awesome, but I wonder who will use 8 component inputs? There is just PS3, 360, Wii, PSP. Unless there are people who use component-only TV's.
Hopefully you can also offer 4:2, unless the price difference of 4:2 vs. 8:2 is not huge :)
superg

Post by superg »

Sefirosu789 wrote:
That's awesome, but I wonder who will use 8 component inputs? There is just PS3, 360, Wii, PSP. Unless there are people who use component-only TV's.
Hopefully you can also offer 4:2, unless the price difference of 4:2 vs. 8:2 is not huge :)
There is beautiful company called HD Retrovision who are building hi-quality transcoder component cables. I actually had a lot of requests for gcompsw to add more inputs because there are actually people who prefer component over RGBS.
TorgoPSN

Post by TorgoPSN »

Sefirosu789 wrote:
Component?
I have PS2, Gamecube, Neo Geo (modded), Laserdisc via my iScan Ultra, XBOX & 360, and the PSP Dock. And yes, I have them all hooked-up (except for the 360 right now)
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

superg wrote:There is beautiful company called HD Retrovision who are building hi-quality transcoder component cables. I actually had a lot of requests for gcompsw to add more inputs because there are actually people who prefer component over RGBS.
I see, I guess people who have component only TVs have to use component. I also forgot about them cables.
TorgoPSN wrote:Component?
I have PS2, Gamecube, Neo Geo (modded), Laserdisc via my iScan Ultra, XBOX & 360, and the PSP Dock. And yes, I have them all hooked-up (except for the 360 right now)
I see, I just use the Wii for GC and PS3 CFW or PC for PSP as it displays PSP games full size. Point taken though, seems lots of people do have 4+ component inputs!
austin532

Post by austin532 »

^this :mrgreen:
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

SuperG is going to end up with all my money in the coming months. A scart switch with RGsB support and a component switch with two output lines. Both completely autoswitching and minimal picture degradation!
What is this beautiful madness!?!?!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dazdigo wrote:SuperG is going to end up with all my money in the coming months. A scart switch with RGsB support and a component switch with two output lines. Both completely autoswitching and minimal picture degradation!
What is this beautiful madness!?!?!
I'm just hoping he keeps the EXT header, and someone develops a TOSLINK daughterboard. :P