gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
eclypse

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by eclypse »

Forget all that as I thought you mentioned having more scart switches in stock. :/
Last edited by eclypse on Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

eclypse wrote:
superg wrote:I was too fast stating out of stock for gcompsw, I still have around 10 units or so grab yours if you need it now.
(too lazy to change 1st post and store pages)
For real? Wow.. welp at this point now I cant order a new one.

Was thinking I might have a use for the VGA out on the 3.2 model but I'm guessing that prob wont work with old PC crt monitors correct? Or will it?

Haha.. feel like crying now as I paid $250+tax and $5 more to upgrade the shipping to priority. Guess it could of been worse if I would of ordered from the guy selling 2 for $550 ea!

If your site had an email to contact I would of reached out first.
The gcompsw never had DE-15 output; if you're talking about the gscartsw, that's a different product.

The output from the DE-15 port on older gscartsw models would not work on a PC monitor unless that monitor 1) supported RGBS with 75Ohm sync, versus TTL normally expected with VGA-compliant monitors; and 2) was compatible with 15kHz video, which most VGA-compliant monitors do not support. You would likely need to run the switch's output into something like the OSSC to line-double to at least 480p, then use an HDMI->VGA converter to convert the signal to the expected RGBHV with 5V TTL sync.
eclypse

Post by eclypse »

And the huge question that I could not find any info on.. what's different from the 3.2-5.2 revisions?

How is the 5.2 better over the older version?
eclypse

Post by eclypse »

nmalinoski wrote:
eclypse wrote:
superg wrote:I was too fast stating out of stock for gcompsw, I still have around 10 units or so grab yours if you need it now.

Was thinking I might have a use for the VGA out on the 3.2 model but I'm guessing that prob wont work with old PC crt monitors correct? Or will it?

Haha.. feel like crying now as I paid $250+tax and $5 more to upgrade the shipping to priority. Guess it could of been worse if I would of ordered from the guy selling 2 for $550 ea!

The gcompsw never had DE-15 output; if you're talking about the gscartsw, that's a different product.

The output from the DE-15 port on older gscartsw models would not work on a PC monitor unless that monitor 1) supported RGBS with 75Ohm sync, versus TTL normally expected with VGA-compliant monitors; and 2) was compatible with 15kHz video, which most VGA-compliant monitors do not support. You would likely need to run the switch's output into something like the OSSC to line-double to at least 480p, then use an HDMI->VGA converter to convert the signal to the expected RGBHV with 5V TTL sync.
Ok.. well I have a ossc 1.6 so I could do that..but could just use scart out to it as well. :/

Also have a good 25" crt I installed into a arcade cab.. but it's in my parents basement. That could handle a 15hz signal correct? Believe it has a VGA connection as well.

Also the sony FW900 I have has a BNC connection.. that dont change things right?
eclypse

Post by eclypse »

nmalinoski wrote:
eclypse wrote:

Haha.. just re read.. he ment he has more of the component switch.. not the scart model. :/
eclypse

Post by eclypse »

Just checked the specs of my Sony fw900.

Horizontal Scan Range 30kHz – 121kHz
Vertical Scan Range 48Hz – 160Hz
Maximum Resolution 2304 x 1440 @ 80Hz
Recommended Resolution1920 x 1200 @ 85Hz

Guess that answers that question on using vga out on the gscsrtsw.

Can do scart in on the ossc 1.6 and a hdmi to VGA out..

I've tried that in the past with 2 different vga/hdmi adapters and ended with a slight wavy picture. :/
superg

Post by superg »

eclypse wrote:And the huge question that I could not find any info on.. what's different from the 3.2-5.2 revisions?

No lowpass filtering, sync on green support and sms fix for some BVM monitors.
smallking

Post by smallking »

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone has experienced display issues when using the gscartsw_lite with a CRT.

I am using a 14" Sony Trinitron that for some reason when connected to my gscart initially shows the display of any of my consoles connected for no more than a second before it is overshawdowed with darkness. It's as if the the brightness has been turned down to zero as I can still see the image very faintly it I look at the screen up close.

The gscart works with no issues when connected to my pc montior via the framemeister and I have tried using a different mechanical scart switch with my crt that works fine so I have ruled out any possible problems with my scart cables.

Could there possibly be compatibility issues with certain CRT models?

Let me know your thoughts
eclypse

Post by eclypse »

superg wrote:
eclypse wrote:And the huge question that I could not find any info on.. what's different from the 3.2-5.2 revisions?

No lowpass filtering, sync on green support and sms fix for some BVM monitors.
Thanks.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

eclypse wrote:Just checked the specs of my Sony fw900.

Since your Sony FW900 wont work, I'll take it off your hands.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
superg

Post by superg »

the Goat wrote: Since your Sony FW900 wont work, I'll take it off your hands.
Haha, unexpected turn of events! :)
ProximaV

Post by ProximaV »

Hey SuperG,

I order one of your 10 gcompsw today, the shipping at 23$ to Canada is with tracking right?

Thanks
superg

Post by superg »

ProximaV wrote:Hey SuperG,

I order one of your 10 gcompsw today, the shipping at 23$ to Canada is with tracking right?

Thanks
Yeah, everything is tracked.
eclypse

Post by eclypse »

the Goat wrote:
eclypse wrote:Just checked the specs of my Sony fw900.

Since your Sony FW900 wont work, I'll take it off your hands.

Haha.. I've got plenty of old retro pc parts and a few built systems to keep that busy thanks ;)

I've had it.for prob close to 15-18 years now.. bought it off an old man out of his apartment for $120 bucks. Had a scratch right dead center of the anti glare coating.. so I removed it. Sold it to my nephew prob 10 years ago and just got it back like 2 years ago. Its huge.. and heavy! Ain't leaving my basement anytime soon.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

superg,

what are the voltage levels for the EXT header pins? (pins 5-7, the selected input indicator pins)
superg

Post by superg »

sofakng wrote:superg,

what are the voltage levels for the EXT header pins? (pins 5-7, the selected input indicator pins)
3.3V
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Perfect - thanks very much!
eclypse

Post by eclypse »

Just tried out my used gscartsw 3.2 from ebay and it's perfect and works perfectly! Love the audio out as well! Works better then going out from my tv to the stereo speakers.

Now I can play all my systems (snes,genesis,saturn,pc engine) at ease!

4 more spots to go.
superg

Post by superg »

eclypse wrote:Just tried out my used gscartsw 3.2 from ebay and it's perfect and works perfectly! Love the audio out as well! Works better then going out from my tv to the stereo speakers.

4 more spots to go.
Just make sure you use powered speakers (audio output is linear level, don't connect anything passive) and take into account that v3.2 doesn't have SCART input protection so make sure you know what you connect (no amplified audio, no supergun etc.) or it might die.
eclypse

Post by eclypse »

superg wrote:
eclypse wrote:Just tried out my used gscartsw 3.2 from ebay and it's perfect and works perfectly! Love the audio out as well! Works better then going out from my tv to the stereo speakers.

4 more spots to go.
Just make sure you use powered speakers (audio output is linear level, don't connect anything passive) and take into account that v3.2 doesn't have SCART input protection so make sure you know what you connect (no amplified audio, no supergun etc.) or it might die.
Ok.. so you mean into the scart connection.

I have a consolized 6 slot neo geo mvs board. I believe has audio outs via a 3.5mm plug x2 that you can adjust the volume from the board. So if I was to mod a scart out to the main board dont connect audio from the amplified output on that.. but prob safe getting audio off the harness? Sorry.. no sleep last night brain cant think of the name. :/

Also another example would be the stereo out on the sega cd model 1.. that would be amplified as well correct?

Currently dont have a supergun but had one years ago.
superg

Post by superg »

eclypse wrote: Ok.. so you mean into the scart connection.

I have a consolized 6 slot neo geo mvs board. I believe has audio outs via a 3.5mm plug x2 that you can adjust the volume from the board. So if I was to mod a scart out to the main board dont connect audio from the amplified output on that.. but prob safe getting audio off the harness? Sorry.. no sleep last night brain cant think of the name. :/
I don't know much about arcade boards and it's connections. Judging from what you say I wanna say STAY AWAY FROM THAT! And you probably have only one try because if it dies it dies for good, multiplexers on that switch version have been obsolete for quite a while.
superg

Post by superg »

smallking wrote:Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone has experienced display issues when using the gscartsw_lite with a CRT.

I am using a 14" Sony Trinitron that for some reason when connected to my gscart initially shows the display of any of my consoles connected for no more than a second before it is overshawdowed with darkness. It's as if the the brightness has been turned down to zero as I can still see the image very faintly it I look at the screen up close.

The gscart works with no issues when connected to my pc montior via the framemeister and I have tried using a different mechanical scart switch with my crt that works fine so I have ruled out any possible problems with my scart cables.

Issues of this kind are very unlikely. RGB-modded TV?
Very low brightness might be a sign of something shorting when you connect the switch. Stop using gscartsw with that tv until you sort this out or you risk with your switch, check your cables and try to rule out everything. Mechanical switch is nothing but a physical connector switching so this is not a good test.
smallking

Post by smallking »

superg wrote:
smallking wrote:Hi Everyone,

Issues of this kind are very unlikely. RGB-modded TV?
Very low brightness might be a sign of something shorting when you connect the switch. Stop using gscartsw with that tv until you sort this out or you risk with your switch, check your cables and try to rule out everything. Mechanical switch is nothing but a physical connector switching so this is not a good test.
My CRT has no mods, I have done further testing and can confirm that I have ruled out any issues with my cables (all from retrogamingcables) as when connected directly to my TV everything displays perfectly. What I have discovered is that when connected via the gscart if I use the remote to reset the color settings everything momentarily displays fine within a second before reverting back to darkness. What is also interesting is that when I bring up the TV menu (transparent menu), the area in which it is displayed (bottom right corner of screen) shows the picture behind it fine.

I understand with the plethora of CRTs that have existed throughout the years it cannot be expected to test the gscart with them all, which is why I assumed possible compatibitly problems.

Please note that my CRT in question is a Sony Trinitron KV-M1450A, I can happily provide you with the service manual if it helps break down this matter and I am open to any further ideas/thoughts on testing I could try to carryout to pinpoint the issue.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

smallking wrote:My CRT has no mods . . .
TV's with factory RGB SCART inputs often require certain voltages on pins 8 & 16 to properly command RGB mode. Not all modern SCART cables and switches provide the correct voltages on those pins because PVMs, BVMs, XRGB minis, OSSCs, etc. don't care about them. Perhaps that is related to your issue?
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
superg

Post by superg »

the Goat wrote:
smallking wrote:My CRT has no mods . . .
TV's with factory RGB SCART inputs often require certain voltages on pins 8 & 16 to properly command RGB mode. Not all modern SCART cables and switches provide the correct voltages on those pins because PVMs, BVMs, XRGB minis, OSSCs, etc. don't care about them. Perhaps that is related to your issue?
gscartsw doesn't forward pin 8 and pin 16 but rather forces those pins to always be 4:3 RGB.

Honestly don't know what to say about that TV problem. It does look like something is wrong with the TV but to know what exactly requires further measuring and I don't think it worth the trouble.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Hello superg, I just got a gscart from your most recent batch, and I was wondering if it is okay to leave the power on? Will it damage the unit or be a fire hazard? Everything on it works perfectly, thank you!

Travis
superg

Post by superg »

teerazzler wrote:Hello superg, I just got a gscart from your most recent batch, and I was wondering if it is okay to leave the power on? Will it damage the unit or be a fire hazard? Everything on it works perfectly, thank you!

Travis
I never shut down mine. it's designed to be always on. Although I can't guarantee anything.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

How would I best solder this back on?
superg

Post by superg »

ldeveraux wrote:How would I best solder this back on?
What do you mean exactly, do you need a guide to solder?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:How would I best solder this back on?
What do you mean exactly, do you need a guide to solder?
Do I have to reflow the undermounted solder?