gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
leonk

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by leonk »

That is correct. The only ferrite beads that I see that are still in their original spots are: L1, L5, L9, L10 The rest are all removed and pads cleaned of any solder or residue.
leonk

Post by leonk »

I did notice that there is a short between pin 1 and pin 3 on both U18 and U19 and these pins connect to L9/L10. Not sure if this is correct.
leonk

Post by leonk »

So I started sniffing around U18, U19 and U17. I noticed a short across C45. When I removed it I got green LED!

But again, with no schematics, I might be going around in circles.
superg

Post by superg »

leonk wrote:I did notice that there is a short between pin 1 and pin 3 on both U18 and U19 and these pins connect to L9/L10. Not sure if this is correct.
Man, my bad, I misinterpreted L5 and L9. On lite 1.5 L5 removal shuts down the whole +5V rail. Sorry I have confused you, I apologize!
The 1/3 pin short is normal on U18. L9 is responsible only for U18 (charge pump IC to provide 10V on SCART pin 8 - 4:3 aspect ratio).
Looks like U18 is busted!
Either replace it or you can leave it as is without L9, there will be no voltage on SCART pin 8 first output, depends on your setup you might not need it at all (if your TV doesn't depend on these SCART signals).
leonk

Post by leonk »

I think the IC is good! L9 is in place with only C45 removed and I got green LED. Out of circuit, the SMD cap tests as short! What is the value of C45?

Ever had these capacitors go bad on you?
superg

Post by superg »

leonk wrote:I think the IC is good! L9 is in place with only C45 removed and I got green LED. Out of circuit, the SMD cap tests as short! What is the value of C45?

Ever had these capacitors go bad on you?
C45 is 3.3uF, I use these: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... -ND/702878
Never had an issue with that before :(, this is the first time.
leonk

Post by leonk »

There's always a first time. Thanks for the link. I'll order and replace.

I put it all together and it works just fine right now. 8)
Buttonmasher321

Post by Buttonmasher321 »

Enjoying my switches but need help with small problem. I have a HDMI to component adapter going to my gcomp. This device is always on so the switcher stays stuck on this input unless I unplug the adapter.

I see reference to the external headers for query/ over ride. Would this be something that would fix my problem? Does over ride force the switch to output the newest signal rather than stay on the current input? I can't find any documentation on the ext header configuration and would really appreciate more info. Thanks!
superg

Post by superg »

Buttonmasher321 wrote:Enjoying my switches but need help with small problem. I have a HDMI to component adapter going to my gcomp. This device is always on so the switcher stays stuck on this input unless I unplug the adapter.

I see reference to the external headers for query/ over ride. Would this be something that would fix my problem? Does over ride force the switch to output the newest signal rather than stay on the current input? I can't find any documentation on the ext header configuration and would really appreciate more info. Thanks!
Well, EXT header is an advanced thing, it allows you to manually control the switch but you can't change the automatic switching logic if that's what you're asking about e.g. automatic mode always "locks" to the first found signal.
My advice would be to install some sort of on/off switch for the HDMI->Component converter to overcome the issue, if that's possible of course.
In general, they should spend more time designing such converters because always outputting sync independent of input signal is not good.
Buttonmasher321

Post by Buttonmasher321 »

The power switch was was my knee jerk solution but just wanted to double check if headers could change the switching logic as you described. The HDMI to component box outputs a test pattern when no input is detected hence always on. Power switch time . Thank you for the quick reply. Loving both my switches.
0xfff0fff

Post by 0xfff0fff »

0xfff0fff wrote:Hi.
Just received my gscartsw today. Everything works perfectly, except when plugging in one of its ouputs into my capture card.

Here's my test setup :
a PS2 hooked to one of the gscartsw's inputs through a PS2 SCART RGB CSYNC cable.
Then one output goes to my monitor (it works perfectly) while the other one goes to a sync strike. Both gscartsw outputs consist of two Euroscart male to male RGB cables.
Then the sync strike's VGA output goes into my capture card (USB3HDCAP) through a vga to dvi adapter.

The issue here with gscartsw is that I'm getting a weird interlaced image. If I skip the gscartsw and hook my PS2's RGB CSYNC cable directly into the sync strike, then the captured picture is crystal clear.

Here's the capture with the gscartsw :
Spoiler
Here's the capture without the gscartsw (don't mind the brightness difference, I tweaked it between these two pictures) :
Spoiler
I tried dealing with the dip switches of the gscartsw but it achieved nothing for this case.

I would gladly take any advice or help at this point :)
UP :(
I must say, though, there's no such issue whatsoever with my PS1.
superg

Post by superg »

0xfff0fff wrote:
Just received my gscartsw today. Everything works perfectly, except when plugging in one of its ouputs into my capture card.

Here's my test setup :
a PS2 hooked to one of the gscartsw's inputs through a PS2 SCART RGB CSYNC cable.
Then one output goes to my monitor (it works perfectly) while the other one goes to a sync strike. Both gscartsw outputs consist of two Euroscart male to male RGB cables.
Then the sync strike's VGA output goes into my capture card (USB3HDCAP) through a vga to dvi adapter.

The issue here with gscartsw is that I'm getting a weird interlaced image. If I skip the gscartsw and hook my PS2's RGB CSYNC cable directly into the sync strike, then the captured picture is crystal clear.

Spoiler
Here's the capture without the gscartsw (don't mind the brightness difference, I tweaked it between these two pictures) :
Spoiler
I tried dealing with the dip switches of the gscartsw but it achieved nothing for this case.

I'd say this is some sort of capture incompatibility.
I'd start with reducing the amount of sync clean circuits in your setup. Does your PS2 cable have active sync cleaner inside cable? Why sync strike is needed?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:
0xfff0fff wrote:

Here's my test setup :

Spoiler
Spoiler

I'd say this is some sort of capture incompatibility.
I'd start with reducing the amount of sync clean circuits in your setup. Does your PS2 cable have active sync cleaner inside cable? Why sync strike is needed?
Does HDCP apply here? This sounds like a handshake issue on the HDMI side
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:Does HDCP apply here? This sounds like a handshake issue on the HDMI side
Only if the receiving side requires it, which, I think, is extremely unlikely; usually it's the source that requires it on the display. I think you'd only see HDCP issues with HDMI-native consoles.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

No technical difficulties, but just wanted to chime in and commend superg on the quality of this product. Thank you!
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
MJR

Post by MJR »

superg wrote: Xbox360: This is RGBS switch, you have to provide full RGB input, passive composite / audio adapter to SCART doesn't transcode, it's just an interconnection of wires.
Since I started the subject, I should tell how this situation ended:

After ordering RGB scart for original Xbox rather than X360 in silly mistake, I found out that my Xbox360 RGB/S-video Scart cable had S-video/AV switch. Clicking the switch brought colors back and now it shows perfect image through the Scart switch. A bit embarrassing but happy end :D

Only thing left to do is to order RGB scart for my Dreamcast, then everything is perfect :)
RetroSnow

Post by RetroSnow »

Just got my gscartsw last week and I'm in love with it so far. Can't believe I was switching cables out for so many years. One small hiccup: it doesn't seem to like my PC Engine. When I flip it on, the screen flickers like it's about to come on, then goes back to "no input" but I can hear the audio. I was thinking it may have something to do with the cable since it's a cheaper one the system came with. I went ahead and ordered a new cable (Packapunch) from RetroGamingCables just to test.

Think it's just a cable issue? It displays just fine when hooking directly up to my Framemeister - just doesn't like the switch for some reason.

All my other consoles work perfectly. Thanks again superg for the incredible work!
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

RetroSnow wrote:Just got my gscartsw last week and I'm in love with it so far. Can't believe I was switching cables out for so many years. One small hiccup: it doesn't seem to like my PC Engine. When I flip it on, the screen flickers like it's about to come on, then goes back to "no input" but I can hear the audio. I was thinking it may have something to do with the cable since it's a cheaper one the system came with. I went ahead and ordered a new cable (Packapunch) from RetroGamingCables just to test.

Think it's just a cable issue? It displays just fine when hooking directly up to my Framemeister - just doesn't like the switch for some reason.

All my other consoles work perfectly. Thanks again superg for the incredible work!
There are many RGB mods for the PC Engine. Some work with the gscartsw and some don't. It sounds like your unit has a mod that doesn't work. The new cable probably will not help.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
RetroSnow

Post by RetroSnow »

the Goat wrote:
RetroSnow wrote:Just got my gscartsw last week and I'm in love with it so far. Can't believe I was switching cables out for so many years. One small hiccup: it doesn't seem to like my PC Engine. When I flip it on, the screen flickers like it's about to come on, then goes back to "no input" but I can hear the audio. I was thinking it may have something to do with the cable since it's a cheaper one the system came with. I went ahead and ordered a new cable (Packapunch) from RetroGamingCables just to test.

There are many RGB mods for the PC Engine. Some work with the gscartsw and some don't. It sounds like your unit has a mod that doesn't work. The new cable probably will not help.
Thanks for the heads up. It's an older IFU that I bought many years ago so that wouldn't surprise me. Either way the cable still needs replacing since it's a cheap one. May be time to invest in modding my Duo R.
superg

Post by superg »

RetroSnow wrote: Thanks for the heads up. It's an older IFU that I bought many years ago so that wouldn't surprise me. Either way the cable still needs replacing since it's a cheap one. May be time to invest in modding my Duo R.
I have confirmations that db GrafxBooster and Voultar mods work fine.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Can anyone confirm if the composite switchbox does or does not have the problem, that some switches do, when certain affects in games pop up? Specifically, where the screen will go haywire, when you drop a bomb in Chiki Chiki Boys, or when you fight certain bosses in Pulseman? I know it happens in Sonic 3, as well, but I don't know the specific part. The easiest way to check it, is to use a bomb in Chiki Chiki Boys.

My "luck" with this hasn't been that great. About 50 percent of my switches or splitters have had this problem.

Here's a discussion about this: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=39949
superg

Post by superg »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Can anyone confirm if the composite switchbox does or does not have the problem, that some switches do, when certain affects in games pop up? Specifically, where the screen will go haywire, when you drop a bomb in Chiki Chiki Boys, or when you fight certain bosses in Pulseman? I know it happens in Sonic 3, as well, but I don't know the specific part. The easiest way to check it, is to use a bomb in Chiki Chiki Boys.

My "luck" with this hasn't been that great. About 50 percent of my switches or splitters have had this problem.

Here's a discussion about this: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=39949
You will be fine with gcompsw, no issues like that.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

superg wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:Can anyone confirm if the composite switchbox does or does not have the problem, that some switches do, when certain affects in games pop up? Specifically, where the screen will go haywire, when you drop a bomb in Chiki Chiki Boys, or when you fight certain bosses in Pulseman? I know it happens in Sonic 3, as well, but I don't know the specific part. The easiest way to check it, is to use a bomb in Chiki Chiki Boys.

You will be fine with gcompsw, no issues like that.
Thank goodness. I had already ordered two of them, so that would have been a bummer. :lol:
Billfan35

Post by Billfan35 »

Is it possible to order a replacement plexiglass top cover for the gscartsw v5.2? I accidentally cracked it.
8percentandroid

Post by 8percentandroid »

Hi, wondering if you can help with the following issue:
I have the following chain that doesn’t seem to be working: PS1 -> official composite cable -> GCompSw Lite -> PVM 20L5
I don’t get any picture when switching to this setup but I do get a black and white image when I plug the video of the composite cable into one of the component ports (indicating that the ps1 is outputting something at least). All my other machines that are connected via component are working fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks
superg

Post by superg »

8percentandroid wrote:Hi, wondering if you can help with the following issue:
I have the following chain that doesn’t seem to be working: PS1 -> official composite cable -> GCompSw Lite -> PVM 20L5
I don’t get any picture when switching to this setup but I do get a black and white image when I plug the video of the composite cable into one of the component ports (indicating that the ps1 is outputting something at least). All my other machines that are connected via component are working fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks
As far as I understand you're referring to older gcompsw 4:1 I used to manufacture (I never named it lite, lite was used for an older version of gscartsw)

The switch doesn't transcode the signal, if you supply composite signal on gcompsw input, you will get the same composite signal on the output e.g. it won't convert it to component (YPbPr) signal.
superg

Post by superg »

Billfan35 wrote:Is it possible to order a replacement plexiglass top cover for the gscartsw v5.2? I accidentally cracked it.
Yeah I do have some extras, PM me your address.
Icelvlan

Post by Icelvlan »

Does anyone have any tips in scart connectors not getting loose easily in gscart switches?

Most of my cables are retro access. and I find whenever I move stuff slightly I have to reconnect the cables.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Icelvlan wrote:Does anyone have any tips in scart connectors not getting loose easily in gscart switches?

Most of my cables are retro access. and I find whenever I move stuff slightly I have to reconnect the cables.
thefoo.83 has great cables that aren't a super tight fit, consolegoods.co.uk cables are pretty good for the price too (sync on composite video, but hey the gscart-switch is giving you RGBS anyway). Kinda thin but no screwy audio!

Insurrection Industries cables are a good fit in damn near every connector I've ever encountered.
Koop

Post by Koop »

Was following your projects here for a while and finally put in a purchase. Thanks for the continued work and support on gscartsw.