gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Cooperd9

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by Cooperd9 »

it looks like I will have to try out an rgb2comp then, if that is working for many people I don't mind trying one out but I didn't want to invest in more hardware without knowing whether it was working for other people. I do have a gscartsw around that I could try out but plugging consoles directly into the transcoder was still having issues (I switched to the hydra when I ran out of ports on the gscartsw, having a single device with 16 inputs works cleaner in my setup than daisychaining even more switches would have)
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Question- building an output cable from the Gscart to a XRGB-1. For the output side of the male to male plug (from gscart scart output) should I be using the Sync-out (pin 19) and audio R/L out (pins 1 and 5) which then tie to the input pins for sync and audio but with the JP21 mapping?

For whatever reason, I get no sound and the sync goes on and off rapidly.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
superg

Post by superg »

thchardcore wrote:Question- building an output cable from the Gscart to a XRGB-1. For the output side of the male to male plug (from gscart scart output) should I be using the Sync-out (pin 19) and audio R/L out (pins 1 and 5) which then tie to the input pins for sync and audio but with the JP21 mapping?

For whatever reason, I get no sound and the sync goes on and off rapidly.
Basically yes, you should take SCART pin 1 and 3 for audio and pin 19 for cvbs.
Make sure you use the correct pinouts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART
https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:japanese_rgb-21
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Thank you sir.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
HoldyourfireImahuman

Post by HoldyourfireImahuman »

Hello all.

When using ps1 and genesis 2 with retro gaming cables csync scart cables (with built in stripper) I find that my 20l5 and tm-h1950 both can't sync with the gscart. I get either a completely skewed image or just a garbled mess.
It does however work with my jvc dt-v19.
I tried turning off the sync regen but no effect.
Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?
Thanks
superg

Post by superg »

HoldyourfireImahuman wrote:Hello all.

When using ps1 and genesis 2 with retro gaming cables csync scart cables (with built in stripper) I find that my 20l5 and tm-h1950 both can't sync with the gscart. I get either a completely skewed image or just a garbled mess.
It does however work with my jvc dt-v19.
I tried turning off the sync regen but no effect.
Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?
Thanks
Get a cable without sync stripper. Output of such circuits is rarely up to spec (amplitude). And in general integrated sync stripper cable design creates more problems than it solves.
HoldyourfireImahuman

Actually I just double checked and the genesis cable doesn't have a stripper, still doesn't work.
superg

Post by superg »

HoldyourfireImahuman wrote:Actually I just double checked and the genesis cable doesn't have a stripper, still doesn't work.
Genesis is usually a no problem console with compliant output. Bad cable is the only thing I can think of (apart from old capacitors but if it works directly, it's not an issue).
HoldyourfireImahuman

Yup, all the cables work directly. The ps1 cable is the only one with a stripper and it works on the dt-v via the gscart. Stumped !
superg

Post by superg »

HoldyourfireImahuman wrote:Yup, all the cables work directly. The ps1 cable is the only one with a stripper and it works on the dt-v via the gscart. Stumped !
Genesis: check if your cable is wired like here: http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ ... escart.htm
PlayStation: use cable without sync stripper, sync on luma works too
karpour

Post by karpour »

Hello, I'd like to ask if it would be possible to order again soon!

I've been holding off ordering one for a while since I'm from the Netherlands and I really don't trust the postal service here (they "lost" 3 packages within the last 2 years and many more arrived damaged)
Since I'll be in California for a month in January, this might be an ideal time, so I wanted to ask if it's possible to order one and have it delivered in January! :)
superg

Post by superg »

karpour wrote:Hello, I'd like to ask if it would be possible to order again soon!

I've been holding off ordering one for a while since I'm from the Netherlands and I really don't trust the postal service here (they "lost" 3 packages within the last 2 years and many more arrived damaged)
Since I'll be in California for a month in January, this might be an ideal time, so I wanted to ask if it's possible to order one and have it delivered in January! :)
I don't sell switches directly anymore, please check out CastleMania Games website for the availability info.
psxswiss

Post by psxswiss »

Hi superg,

Hope you are doing well!
py owner of a GScartsw 3.4 with VGA outpout. Looking to built a VGA > SCART cable to connect to a Retrotink X5.
Do you have a pinout / diagram of to share? Can you please also confirm that the signal going out form the VGA port is not TTL?
Bought a prebuilt VGA2SCART cable but doesnt work...
Many thanks,
PSXSWISS
superg

Post by superg »

psxswiss wrote:Hi superg,

Hope you are doing well!
py owner of a GScartsw 3.4 with VGA outpout. Looking to built a VGA > SCART cable to connect to a Retrotink X5.
Do you have a pinout / diagram of to share? Can you please also confirm that the signal going out form the VGA port is not TTL?
Bought a prebuilt VGA2SCART cable but doesnt work...
Many thanks,
PSXSWISS
Hey,
VGA sync output is TTL if in HV sync mode as far as I remember, I start forgetting things :).
Also there is a CV/HV toggle, did you try it with your cable? I think in CV mode is just forwarding composite to the connector.
There is nothing special about the pinout really, this for instance: https://i.stack.imgur.com/DtrXl.gif
brandonx76

Post by brandonx76 »

Hi - I have two of these, gscart, I think Gen 1 or 2, not sure - they are still running strong, since at least 2017

I could use a 3rd lol - is another run being announced or can I get in line somewhere? Thanks!
superg

Post by superg »

brandonx76 wrote:Hi - I have two of these, gscart, I think Gen 1 or 2, not sure - they are still running strong, since at least 2017

I could use a 3rd lol - is another run being announced or can I get in line somewhere? Thanks!
It's distributed by CastleMania Games now, I don't sell directly anymore.
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

So between my gscartsw, gcompsw, RGB2COMP, RetroTiNK 5X-Pro, mClassic, and various other HDMI devices that are also USB powered, my 2-port cube-shaped USB wall chargers just aren't cutting it anymore.

Is there a recommended multi-port USB charger for our needs? Right now I'm looking at this 10-port Sabrent 60 Watt (12 Amp) USB charger, and while the review mentioning powering eight Rasberry Pi 2 computers with it does inspire confidence, the other reviews that mention "funny smells" and "melting" do not. Should I feel better that I'd be powering up to 10 devices at once with this instead of charging 10 phones at the same time to completion?
superg

Post by superg »

Triple Lei wrote:So between my gscartsw, gcompsw, RGB2COMP, RetroTiNK 5X-Pro, mClassic, and various other HDMI devices that are also USB powered, my 2-port cube-shaped USB wall chargers just aren't cutting it anymore.

Is there a recommended multi-port USB charger for our needs? Right now I'm looking at this 10-port Sabrent 60 Watt (12 Amp) USB charger, and while the review mentioning powering eight Rasberry Pi 2 computers with it does inspire confidence, the other reviews that mention "funny smells" and "melting" do not. Should I feel better that I'd be powering up to 10 devices at once with this instead of charging 10 phones at the same time to completion?
The only proper way to know is to measure a peak consumption of each of your devices, add that up and add 20%, just in case. The single switch shouldn't consume more than 200mA, should be true for gscartsw and gcompsw but feel free to measure it.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Triple Lei wrote:So between my gscartsw, gcompsw, RGB2COMP, RetroTiNK 5X-Pro, mClassic, and various other HDMI devices that are also USB powered, my 2-port cube-shaped USB wall chargers just aren't cutting it anymore.

I've been quite happy with my Sabrent SSD, a field in which they've rapidly built themselves a good reputation, but when it comes to power adapters, I normally first look for Anker. If you need a 10-port charger, Anker has a 10-port charger that does 2.4A per port, shared for 12A total: https://us.anker.com/collections/charge ... ucts/a2133

It has PowerIQ so it should support full speed charging/power on anything you plug into it.
Neil young

Post by Neil young »

Hi! Greetings from Brazil! I have a question, there is a date to return the pre-order of the gcomp :D :D :D Automatic 8:2 Component?

As the Brazilian currency is devalued, I spent a few months save money to purchase the equipment. :lol:

And is there a possibility in the future of an HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 switch that works with PS3 without restrictions?

Thanks! :D
superg

Post by superg »

Neil young wrote:Hi! Greetings from Brazil! I have a question, there is a date to return the pre-order of the gcomp :D :D :D Automatic 8:2 Component?

As the Brazilian currency is devalued, I spent a few months save money to purchase the equipment. :lol:

And is there a possibility in the future of an HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 switch that works with PS3 without restrictions?

Hey, the switches are distributed by CastleMania Games, check their website for availability, I don't sell directly anymore.
Profchaos354

Post by Profchaos354 »

So some consolized MVS Neo Geos can burn the switch out, correct? What can I look for to see if mine will or not? It might also help me in modding my consolized system so that it will work with the switch.

I have the Alieexpress consolized Neo and have been very frustrated that I have to unhook my entire switch system in order to play with it. I’ve been thinking about just taking my chances to see if it will work with the switch or not. I would really appreciate some advice before I do something like that. Thank you
superg

Post by superg »

Profchaos354 wrote:So some consolized MVS Neo Geos can burn the switch out, correct? What can I look for to see if mine will or not? It might also help me in modding my consolized system so that it will work with the switch.

I have the Alieexpress consolized Neo and have been very frustrated that I have to unhook my entire switch system in order to play with it. I’ve been thinking about just taking my chances to see if it will work with the switch or not. I would really appreciate some advice before I do something like that. Thank you
You have to make sure audio is linear, e.g. not amplified and sync is up to spec, TTL + resistor or 75ohm terminated.
Neil young

Post by Neil young »

superg wrote:
Neil young wrote:Hi! Greetings from Brazil! I have a question, there is a date to return the pre-order of the gcomp :D :D :D Automatic 8:2 Component?

Hey, the switches are distributed by CastleMania Games, check their website for availability, I don't sell directly anymore.
Thanks for the feedback. And is there a possibility for a gcomp but for hdmi in the future?
superg

Post by superg »

Neil young wrote: Thanks for the feedback. And is there a possibility for a gcomp but for hdmi in the future?
Highly unlikely.
Audio receivers have integrated HDMI switch, if you want a good sound you also get free HDMI switching included :)
gumbo

Post by gumbo »

Hi all,

I've an old v3.4 switch that has what looks to be sync issue.

3x example consoles all in 60hz NTSC mode: Super Nintendo; N64; Dreamcast

The TV is a B&O BeoVision 1

Directly connected from Console to TV:

Connected through the gscart:

I thought it might be the cable I was using as output from the gscart to the TV but I bought a new cable from here https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/aud ... 5-OHM-COAX and it's the same problem.

If it's a lost cause that's no worries (I must have it 5-6 years at this stage) but maybe someone has seen this issue before and might know of a fix?

Thank you!
superg

Post by superg »

gumbo wrote:Hi all,

I've an old v3.4 switch that has what looks to be sync issue.

3x example consoles all in 60hz NTSC mode: Super Nintendo; N64; Dreamcast

The TV is a B&O BeoVision 1

I thought it might be the cable I was using as output from the gscart to the TV but I bought a new cable from here https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/aud ... 5-OHM-COAX and it's the same problem.

If it's a lost cause that's no worries (I must have it 5-6 years at this stage) but maybe someone has seen this issue before and might know of a fix?

Thank you!
If that didn't happen before it could be a damaged THS amplifier or sync multiplexer. I had a few 3.4 repairs like that where people damaged it by connecting some non compliant equipment. If you're absolutely sure it's not anything else but the switch I can suggest which IC's to replace, but no guarantees here.
gumbo

Post by gumbo »

Hello superg!

Thanks for your advice. As I said it's a very old unit, probably one of the first ones made so it may be time to upgrade. But yes sure if you have an idea on the part numbers I can try to replace them. I have a heat gun and experience with smd soldering and could replace parts easily enough. I'd love to give it a try rather than scrap it.

Also just to add, I don't hear any audio from the dreamcast boot up either when connected via gscart.

Thanks again!
superg

Post by superg »

gumbo wrote:Hello superg!

Thanks for your advice. As I said it's a very old unit, probably one of the first ones made so it may be time to upgrade. But yes sure if you have an idea on the part numbers I can try to replace them. I have a heat gun and experience with smd soldering and could replace parts easily enough. I'd love to give it a try rather than scrap it.

Also just to add, I don't hear any audio from the dreamcast boot up either when connected via gscart.

Thanks again!
Well, if audio is blown, this is new information and it doesn't sound good, most likely it's shorting, don't keep the switch turned on like this.
Try to replace IC's in the following order:
0. If there is absolutely no left / right audio, remove U2 and U3, otherwise it might contribute to your sync repair.
1. replace U8, THS7374 amplifier, https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... ND/5224405
2. if still no sync, replace U7, https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... ND/1779837 (U4-U7, BGRS multiplexers)
3. [no audio] replace U2 (right),U3 (left), https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... ND/1780372

Make sure you have the parts beforehand, there is global shortage currently.
And again, there is no guarantee.
gumbo

Post by gumbo »

Good stuff. Thanks for that.

I tested there and although there is no audio from the TV speakers via the scart cable while the picture is out of sync, with headphones connected to the 3.5mm jack on the gscart I have perfect sound so I assume that's all working.

I ordered the first two items you suggested and will give it a try.

Thank you for the support so long after the purchase. You are very kind to help and it is very much appreciated.