gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
schmosef

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by schmosef »

superg wrote:
schmosef wrote:My gcompsw stopped working tonight.

I've had it for just under 2 months.

What's the best way to arrange an RMA? Should I PM superg?
What did you have connected?
You can PM me.
Thanks, PM sent.
superg

Post by superg »

6t8k wrote:• What are the different statuses the LED can be in?
LED blinks when the switch is turned on, this is the indication that Altera IC started
LED blinks when the signal is detected
You can disable LED using DIP 4, this is if you want less light when played in the dark room
6t8k wrote:• What does sync regeneration do? Does it clean up the signal (how?) / re-add it during V blank? Does it change the Vpp?
Sync regeneration is faster sync stripping. Sync Vpp is brought down to SCART specification level. If you want more technical details on that you can read LM1881 manual.
6t8k wrote:• Is it compatible with both video level and TTL level signals? What's the max Vpp rating for continuous operation? Arcade sources etc.
It's up to the SCART specification, 1Vpp 75ohm. You can connect anything as long as it's compliant on the SCART end. But SUPERGUN manufacturers often don't care about this and provide all kind of variation on SCART.
6t8k wrote:• Does the device introduce a noteworthy delay? I realize there's no ADC going on and probably sub-ms but would still be neat to know for sure
There actually is fast ADC / comparator chain which is involved in sync regeneration. The delay introduced is around 30ns when the function is used.

Except maybe LED all your other questions are pretty technical and they don't really belong to a manual.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Thanks a lot for your answer, this is really helpful.

Reading the LM1881 manual was indeed supportive - duh. Main takeaway for me was it extracts sync from 0.5 to 2.0 Vpp.
superg wrote:Sync Vpp is brought down to SCART specification level
You can connect anything as long as it's compliant on the SCART end
Does this mean it accepts within the SCART range and outputs all sources with fixed Vpp (which is also within SCART)?

Fried the blue SCART line of my OSSC recently and since then I got a DSO and want to be a little more careful. :lol:

Basically, what I'm aiming at is; if the gscartsw was able to even out Csync from say 0.5 to 5Vpp input range this would have been awesome. Then it would be able to save arcade HW operators from having to use a different supergun or using different cables with different attenuation for various PCBs. As you mentioned I have some arcade sources that output off-spec sync after my supergun, which apparently just forwards it. I have e.g. an IGS PGM that outputs 1.6Vpp sync that I'm not comfortable bothering an OSSC with. The TVP7002 is rated for up to 2Vpp, still I don't wanna provoke it.

But as I take it that's not necessarily the gscartsw's use case (however useful it might be). And I read you're not working on the design anymore so yeah.. :P

So the gscartsw would bring down the 1.6Vpp but it *could* be damaged in the long run. Would you agree more or less?
I might actually try it with regeneration ON just to have a look at it with the DSO.
superg wrote:There actually is fast ADC / comparator chain which is involved in sync regeneration. The delay introduced is around 30ns when the function is used.
I see. Well then - nobody needs to worry about lag :)

I can see that. Well some information should be interesting at least for arcade HW.
Maybe a note could be added at the product page saying using arcade HW is not endorsed or rather, you're still responsible for proper attenuation yourself.
But who can do that would also appreciate having the details written down in a small spec sheet. :wink:
superg

Post by superg »

6t8k wrote:Reading the LM1881 manual was indeed supportive - duh. Main takeaway for me was it extracts sync from 0.5 to 2.0 Vpp.
This is for basic sync stripping, you asked what exactly it does. gscartsw implementation isn't using LM1881, just so you know.
6t8k wrote:Does this mean it accepts within the SCART range and outputs all sources with fixed Vpp (which is also within SCART)?
I'll put it this way - gscartsw sync and rgb input range is -5V..5V (multiplexer limit), but if you plug something not in 75ohm 1Vpp range - operation is not guaranteed.
6t8k wrote:Basically, what I'm aiming at is; if the gscartsw was able to even out Csync from say 0.5 to 5Vpp input range this would have been awesome. Then it would be able to save arcade HW operators from having to use a different supergun or using different cables with different attenuation for various PCBs. As you mentioned I have some arcade sources that output off-spec sync after my supergun, which apparently just forwards it. I have e.g. an IGS PGM that outputs 1.6Vpp sync that I'm not comfortable bothering an OSSC with. The TVP7002 is rated for up to 2Vpp, still I don't wanna provoke it.
Arcade in general is grey area and I can't stress enough - I will never support SUPERGUN. This is so much trouble, today I had a customer who killed gcompsw with one of the variations. Protections were added to all channels of newest gscartsw and gcompsw but supergun amplified audio in some cases still damages the switch. There will be disclaimers on the order page that I don't support any SUPERGUN of any variation because 80% of those conversions were implemented by incompetent people who can't properly read SCART standard yet provide SCART output for these piece of shit equipment.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Understood.

Because I hinted at it, here's a comparison of the sync signal I've made with my scope.

If I'm doing something wrong, please mention it as my experience with analog A/V is not great, though I'm trying to learn.

This is how it looks when the signal is connected in the most direct way I can manage right now (PGM -> supergun (Sigma Hakuryu) -> SCART -> BNC adapter -> through scope via T-connector -> PVM-2053 MD -> 75Ω termination), similar to this excellent video.:
Spoiler
The following screenshot is the same thing with the gscartsw in use. All dip-switches OFF. PGM -> supergun -> gscartsw 5.2 input 1 -> (OUT 1 through scope -> PVM), (OUT 2 connected to running Framemeister).
What I find noteworthy is that even so, the Vpp even increases by about 100mV.
Although it shouldn't matter, signal seems cleaned up a bit even though wiring is longer.
Spoiler
And this is the same with sync regeneration (DIP 3) ON.
Indeed it brings the Vpp down to ~0.5Vpp which makes me hopeful :D
It changes the pulses to negative voltage, otherwise there's not much of a difference, I would venture to say it's because the signal already looked quite clean.
(can't see V blank here but also looked clean to me and unchanged except as noted above).

But, DISCLAIMER to anyone reading this - as superg said please don't simply go ahead and connect your arcade HW to it unless you're absolutely, positively sure about what you're doing. It's not supported.
Think about it, this way it might not damage your displaying/capture device but the gscartsw instead! Which is more expensive than a OSSC, at the time of writing.
Then don't nag superg about your failed gscartsw when really, it was your fault.
Spoiler
naz

Post by naz »

Hello,

Can anything wrong occur to the chain (consoles to gcompsw/gscartsw to ossc to tv) if more than one console is on??

Regards
superg

Post by superg »

naz wrote:Hello,

Can anything wrong occur to the chain (consoles to gcompsw/gscartsw to ossc to tv) if more than one console is on??

Regards
No, it should not.
goldenpp72

Post by goldenpp72 »

I'm hoping I might have resolved my issue with my Intellivision 2 running through my Gscart. Oddly it would seem the video passes through just fine but the audio becomes muffled when using it. I put a Scart breakout adapter on the switch and then plugged it into that, then ran the cord to separate speakers and it works. Just hoping that putting a break in cable on the framemeister itself and linking them as such will make it automated and through the same speaker. I did have to crack the break out adapter and detach the sound wires that go into the Scart switch though.

With that said I've made a lot of headway in automating my setup, is there any ETA on when the Gcompsw might be back in stock and if there was a cut off for orders? I put mine in maybe a week or 2 ago, so just trying to estimate when i'll need to prep my setup for it.
superg

Post by superg »

goldenpp72 wrote:I'm hoping I might have resolved my issue with my Intellivision 2 running through my Gscart. Oddly it would seem the video passes through just fine but the audio becomes muffled when using it. I put a Scart breakout adapter on the switch and then plugged it into that, then ran the cord to separate speakers and it works. Just hoping that putting a break in cable on the framemeister itself and linking them as such will make it automated and through the same speaker. I did have to crack the break out adapter and detach the sound wires that go into the Scart switch though.

With that said I've made a lot of headway in automating my setup, is there any ETA on when the Gcompsw might be back in stock and if there was a cut off for orders? I put mine in maybe a week or 2 ago, so just trying to estimate when i'll need to prep my setup for it.
Make sure you use active speakers for that or there is a risk of switch failure.
superg

Post by superg »

Update: fresh gcompsw's and gscartsw's were shipped to me, I should get them this week and will start shipping next week.
goldenpp72

Post by goldenpp72 »

superg wrote:
goldenpp72 wrote:I'm hoping I might have resolved my issue with my Intellivision 2 running through my Gscart. Oddly it would seem the video passes through just fine but the audio becomes muffled when using it. I put a Scart breakout adapter on the switch and then plugged it into that, then ran the cord to separate speakers and it works. Just hoping that putting a break in cable on the framemeister itself and linking them as such will make it automated and through the same speaker. I did have to crack the break out adapter and detach the sound wires that go into the Scart switch though.

Make sure you use active speakers for that or there is a risk of switch failure.
Active speakers just means powered speakers right? The lead would go from before it reaches the gscart right into the framemeister through an inline adapter, but then the framemeister runs to an hdmi switch that hits a Samsung sound bar. Does that seem risky? I definitely don't want to damage anything in the chain.

Edit: This is what both the breakout and break in adaptor look like. In the case of the breakout box I severed the wires that route the sound to gscart but kept the break away part in tact, and am planning to run the white/red rca cables from it to the break in box that leads into the framemeister which then routes everything through hdmi of course. They both look the same as pictured below.

Last edited by goldenpp72 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superg

Post by superg »

goldenpp72 wrote:
superg wrote:

Active speakers just means powered speakers right? The lead would go from before it reaches the gscart right into the framemeister through an inline adapter, but then the framemeister runs to an hdmi switch that hits a Samsung sound bar. Does that seem risky? I definitely don't want to damage anything in the chain.

Edit: This is what both the breakout and break in adaptor look like. In the case of the breakout box I severed the wires that route the sound to gscart but kept the break away part in tact, and am planning to run the white/red rca cables from it to the break in box that leads into the framemeister which then routes everything through hdmi if course. They both look the same as pictured below.

Yeah, I mean powered speakers. You should be good.
xthechar

Post by xthechar »

Hey superg, I just bought a gcompsw (my old component splitter from CE Labs broke and I decided to make the investment in your top notch splitter that will hopefully last me for a much longer time! Not only does your splitter have 4 more inputs but it is more compact, which works well for my setup in my very compact apartment. Thanks for your work. Even though $200 is a lot for an item that's not strictly essential to a setup, I know it's a lot of effort and cost to develop such a device from a non-commercial position, and I think it's important to support people like you who build these things for the community purely out of their own passion and interest.

I'm just curious if my order made it into your current batch and will be shipped out within the next week, or if you already had enough orders made to use up the stocks of the most recent batch you received, such that I will have to wait till the next round to receive mine. No worries either way.
superg

Post by superg »

xthechar wrote:Hey superg, I just bought a gcompsw (my old component splitter from CE Labs broke and I decided to make the investment in your top notch splitter that will hopefully last me for a much longer time! Not only does your splitter have 4 more inputs but it is more compact, which works well for my setup in my very compact apartment. Thanks for your work. Even though $200 is a lot for an item that's not strictly essential to a setup, I know it's a lot of effort and cost to develop such a device from a non-commercial position, and I think it's important to support people like you who build these things for the community purely out of their own passion and interest.

I'm just curious if my order made it into your current batch and will be shipped out within the next week, or if you already had enough orders made to use up the stocks of the most recent batch you received, such that I will have to wait till the next round to receive mine. No worries either way.
The units are here, I believe I will have enough for everybody ordered, shipping starts next week.
fritter!!!!

Post by fritter!!!! »

Hi Superg!! The power supply port on my gscartsw is just about disconnected and hanging on by a thread. I bought it back in May. Any chance you could fix this OR if it's easy enough to solder maybe you can walk me through this. Thanks!! I tried PMing you but it's not working..
VertexZero

Post by VertexZero »

Hi! just as the previous person, I was wondering the same. Thanks!
Joakim

Post by Joakim »

Is it possible to put a lower total value on the package if I buy a gscartsw? (I taxes to Norway is very high)

Will it be long befpre you can send out any more units?
PureRetroCO

Post by PureRetroCO »

superg wrote:
xthechar wrote:Hey superg, I just bought a gcompsw (my old component splitter from CE Labs broke and I decided to make the investment in your top notch splitter that will hopefully last me for a much longer time! Not only does your splitter have 4 more inputs but it is more compact, which works well for my setup in my very compact apartment. Thanks for your work. Even though $200 is a lot for an item that's not strictly essential to a setup, I know it's a lot of effort and cost to develop such a device from a non-commercial position, and I think it's important to support people like you who build these things for the community purely out of their own passion and interest.

The units are here, I believe I will have enough for everybody ordered, shipping starts next week.
awesome news!
Streaming Retro games Monday Night 10PM Eastern at https://www.twitch.tv/pure_retro_co
Daily retro posts on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/pure_retro_co/
goldenpp72

Post by goldenpp72 »

superg wrote:

Do your shipments require signature confirmation? Just trying to make arrangements so I don't have to chase it down. Super hyped.
superg

Post by superg »

goldenpp72 wrote: Do your shipments require signature confirmation? Just trying to make arrangements so I don't have to chase it down. Super hyped.
I don't usually do that, if you need it for yours - let me know.
superg

Post by superg »

gscartsw: all units purchased before September 12 are shipped
gcompsw: not so many of these, I will ship them quickly after I deal with gscartsw's

Everything will be shipped this week.
DJ Kevgeez

Post by DJ Kevgeez »

Does anyone here live in Philly and can make a visit to my house and tell me if my SNES audio noise problem can be fixed?
I got the Gscart and its a little better but the horizontal lines are still there.

I'm about to buy a Gcomp just to switch over to component for that system and i realized i'm prolly the only guy here that will have both.
goldenpp72

Post by goldenpp72 »

So i'm kind of at my wits end here, I posted about this earlier and thought I had a a solution but depressingly it did not work. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on why this didn't work, if I can tweak it to work, or maybe some kind of more elegant solution I should be looking at. I'll try to keep this short but detailed.

My intellivision 2 is modded to support RGB scart. If I plug it directly into a Framemeister it and the sound works, if I plug it into the Gscart and then run it into the Framemeister, the sound becomes so muffled that you have to basically blast the sound and in turn hear a loud buzzing that normally wouldn't be so prominent. I did an experiment about 2 weeks ago and took a sound breakout scart adapter, removed the pins that lead sound into the Gscart but kept the ones that lead to the break out end, and then plugged them into a small boom box like device, and it worked. No sound came out of my primary speaker which was the intention at the time, but it did come out loud and clear through the boom box which made me think some kind of issue is happening with the mod running through the Gscart, so circumventing it sound wise should be fine.

Unfortunately my ignorance might have reared its head here. I bought a break IN box to attach to the Framemeister in hopes that the sound being routed away from the Gscart but still to the Framemeister would allow everything to work in harmony but it doesn't. In fact there is no sound in any way coming through when hooking audio jacks to the break in box. I am going to post a picture that is messy right now since i'm troubleshooting, but it gives you an idea.. If anyone has advice or at least knows why this didn't work i'd like to know since i'm still trying to learn this stuff. The white wire you see is plugged into the Intellivision then into a breakout box, then into the Gscart. The leads then have RCA jacks coming out into a break in box hooked into the Framemeister.

superg

Post by superg »

goldenpp72 wrote:So i'm kind of at my wits end here, I posted about this earlier and thought I had a a solution but depressingly it did not work. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on why this didn't work, if I can tweak it to work, or maybe some kind of more elegant solution I should be looking at. I'll try to keep this short but detailed.

My intellivision 2 is modded to support RGB scart. If I plug it directly into a Framemeister it and the sound works, if I plug it into the Gscart and then run it into the Framemeister, the sound becomes so muffled that you have to basically blast the sound and in turn hear a loud buzzing that normally wouldn't be so prominent. I did an experiment about 2 weeks ago and took a sound breakout scart adapter, removed the pins that lead sound into the Gscart but kept the ones that lead to the break out end, and then plugged them into a small boom box like device, and it worked. No sound came out of my primary speaker which was the intention at the time, but it did come out loud and clear through the boom box which made me think some kind of issue is happening with the mod running through the Gscart, so circumventing it sound wise should be fine.

Unfortunately my ignorance might have reared its head here. I bought a break IN box to attach to the Framemeister in hopes that the sound being routed away from the Gscart but still to the Framemeister would allow everything to work in harmony but it doesn't. In fact there is no sound in any way coming through when hooking audio jacks to the break in box. I am going to post a picture that is messy right now since i'm troubleshooting, but it gives you an idea.. If anyone has advice or at least knows why this didn't work i'd like to know since i'm still trying to learn this stuff. The white wire you see is plugged into the Intellivision then into a breakout box, then into the Gscart. The leads then have RCA jacks coming out into a break in box hooked into the Framemeister.
Well, sound is usually easy to forward, so much easier than sync or anything video. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Intellivision so I can't give you specific hints. Some general things:
1. make sure that your audio coming from intellivision is not amplified or you risk breaking the switch (and I might not fix it), muffled audio can be a protection trigger
2. never connect switch audio output to passive speakers (not powered speakers / headphones) or you risk breaking the switch
3. your Framemeister break-in box - if you use that make sure your audio lines are not connected back to the switch output when you experiment with it
4. try to do the same breakout box experiment with any other console which works to rule out anything else
5. the best thing you can do is to troubleshoot your intellivision, but that would be somewhat hard without measuring audio level (scope)
RetroDad88

Post by RetroDad88 »

Help! The power connector came off of my GSCART!! I purchased the GScart last month and finally got around to ordering cables and connecting it. When I connected the mini USB power plug, the entire socket came off of the circuit board. Please help me. Jeff
jumpman1229

Post by jumpman1229 »

Hello,

I wanted to see if I could get my gscartsw repaired. I have a 3.2 unit that has worked great since I got it in May of 2016. I purchased one of these superguns to play my Sammy Atomiswave on my PVM:

https://www.diyretroarcade.com/index.ph ... chine.html

I have been using it for the last week or so on small playthroughs of no more than maybe 15 minutes each time. Well tonight, I was about 20 minutes into a playthrough of Dolphin Blue and all of a sudden, I started to see what appeared to be sync issues on screen. I then started to hear a slight whine from my gscartsw and unplugged the supergun and tried to run my other consoles hooked up to the gscartsw. I powered on my SNES and NES and saw lots of red horizontal lines all over the screen and color errors. I took some videos which can be seen here:

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipM ... N2Jr9zYCXF

Please let me know if you feel this can be repaired! Thank you!
keithdigital

Post by keithdigital »

Hey, I have an Audio question. I have a gscartsw with stereo audio output, component source (like gcompsw) with stereo audio output and one stereo input on my Soundbar. What device should I use to connect these 3 devices? Thanks.
RetroDad88

Post by RetroDad88 »

Hello! I the. Gas art and the power connector fell off the motherboard, it lasted about a week! Who do I contact about getting fixed under warranty? Thank you. JeffJJacobs@Hotmail.com
DW5

Post by DW5 »

[Deleted]
Last edited by DW5 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DW5

Post by DW5 »

superg wrote:gscartsw: all units purchased before September 12 are shipped
gcompsw: not so many of these, I will ship them quickly after I deal with gscartsw's

Everything will be shipped this week.
Have the gcompsw shipped yet, and if not, ahen can we expect them to?