gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

It's all done, everybody can order and I will do my best to ship everything asap.
mremulator

Post by mremulator »

Just ordered one. Thanks! 8)
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Do you think someday you will ever produce a simple, tiny lil' baby 1:2 gscartsw? Would be awesome for people who stream and don't necessarily need one for a convenient baller-ass TV room setup.

Do any POWERED, well-crafted SCART 1:2's even exist?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

kitty666cats wrote:Do you think someday you will ever produce a simple, tiny lil' baby 1:2 gscartsw? Would be awesome for people who stream and don't necessarily need one for a convenient baller-ass TV room setup.

He's already said no. WYSIWYG
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

ldeveraux wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Do you think someday you will ever produce a simple, tiny lil' baby 1:2 gscartsw? Would be awesome for people who stream and don't necessarily need one for a convenient baller-ass TV room setup.

Understandable, they probably wouldn't be as popular.

My 1 input to dual output question still stands, haha. The closest I know of are the Shinybow 4:2 and 1:4, but I don't think the 1:4 is available anymore. I use an Audio Authority 985u, anyway... accepts numberous RGB signals via BNC, not just YPbPr! Good impulse buy :D
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

kitty666cats wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

My 1 input to dual output question still stands, haha. The closest I know of are the Shinybow 4:2 and 1:4, but I don't think the 1:4 is available anymore. I use an Audio Authority 985u, anyway... accepts numberous RGB signals via BNC, not just YPbPr! Good impulse buy :D
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015YSKD4

These 3:1 used to be plentiful and cheap, but appear to be out of stock now. I have 2 and they work great!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

A 1:2 (1 input, 2 outputs) would be a distribution amp/splitter, not a switcher, and I'm not convinced that a superg-built SCART distribution amp would have the gscartsw labeling.

As for the possibility of one, I think superg has expressed a desire to minimize active product designs, hence the discontinuation of the 4:1 gcompsw in favor of the 8:1 model; so I would expect a 2:1 gscartsw would not happen. The closest you're going to get is the 5:1 Hydra mini, but I've not heard many good things about the Hydra switchers.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Does anybody have information on using the EXT header? (re: gscartsw v5.2)

The EXT header is listed on the features:

Code: Select all

EXT header support to query / override enabled input
I'd like to connect the gscartsw to a controller (raspberry pi, arduino, etc) and then detect the active input on the switch. Based on the input, I could then use an IR transmitter to change the profile on the OSSC and automate profile selection, etc.
superg

Post by superg »

sofakng wrote:Does anybody have information on using the EXT header? (re: gscartsw v5.2)

The EXT header is listed on the features:

Code: Select all

EXT header support to query / override enabled input
I'd like to connect the gscartsw to a controller (raspberry pi, arduino, etc) and then detect the active input on the switch. Based on the input, I could then use an IR transmitter to change the profile on the OSSC and automate profile selection, etc.
It was discussed relatively recently in this topic, I'm sorry I don't have a guide on that yet, just go through my latest messages.

Update to anybody else: gcompsw's are sold out. I've also ran out of power supplies for gscartsw, currently looking for the good source, gscartsw shipment for this affected (mostly today) will get delayed.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

superg wrote:It was discussed relatively recently in this topic, I'm sorry I don't have a guide on that yet, just go through my latest messages.
Found it: (sorry, I searched before and couldn't find it but I should have looked better)
superg wrote:gscartsw_lite EXT pinout:

Pin 1: GND
Pin 2: Override
Pin 3: N/C
Pin 4: +5V
Pin 5: IN_BIT0
Pin 6: IN_BIT1
Pin 7: IN_BIT2
Pin 8: N/C

Pin 5-7 represents selected input in binary.
Query functionality looks easy enough (reading pins 5-7) but how does override work?

Do you connect pins 5-7 to 5V/GND (on/off) and then temporarily connect pin 2 to +5V for a certain amount of time?
superg

Post by superg »

Power supplies are ordered, should be here end of this week.
superg

Post by superg »

sofakng wrote:
superg wrote:It was discussed relatively recently in this topic, I'm sorry I don't have a guide on that yet, just go through my latest messages.
Found it: (sorry, I searched before and couldn't find it but I should have looked better)
superg wrote:gscartsw_lite EXT pinout:

Pin 1: GND
Pin 2: Override
Pin 3: N/C
Pin 4: +5V
Pin 5: IN_BIT0
Pin 6: IN_BIT1
Pin 7: IN_BIT2
Pin 8: N/C

Pin 5-7 represents selected input in binary.
Query functionality looks easy enough (reading pins 5-7) but how does override work?

Do you connect pins 5-7 to 5V/GND (on/off) and then temporarily connect pin 2 to +5V for a certain amount of time?
Override has to be put in logic hi all the time, in this case you can drive pin 5-7 yourself. A precaution is that pin 5-7 and override pins are connected directly to Altera which operates on 3.3v. There are resistors provided but clean solution involves proper logic level. I'm not sure how feasible is all that with arduinos and raspberry pi gpio. The interface was developed for the custom board design which takes power from 5v rail and uses 3.3v as logical level.
amontre

Post by amontre »

Any recommendation where to get the scart to vga for gscartsw_lit to extron 203rxi ?
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

superg wrote:Override has to be put in logic hi all the time, in this case you can drive pin 5-7 yourself. A precaution is that pin 5-7 and override pins are connected directly to Altera which operates on 3.3v. There are resistors provided but clean solution involves proper logic level. I'm not sure how feasible is all that with arduinos and raspberry pi gpio. The interface was developed for the custom board design which takes power from 5v rail and uses 3.3v as logical level.
Oh, if the gscartsw uses 3.3v logic levels that’s even better. I’m planning to use a Raspberry Pi (Zero W) which uses 3.3v GPIO pins. I incorrectly assumed the gscartsw EXT pins would be 5v logic because of the 5v pin provided.
superg

Post by superg »

sofakng wrote:I incorrectly assumed the gscartsw EXT pins would be 5v logic because of the 5v pin provided.
Yeah, it's like this, +5V power +3.3V logic as I didn't want to include any level shifting capabilities onto the switch feature nobody uses.
Gara

Post by Gara »

amontre wrote:Any recommendation where to get the scart to vga for gscartsw_lit to extron 203rxi ?
I use a sync strike to achieve this.

http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strik ... e::15.html

You could also use the Retro Access cable builder to make a custom cable. Make sure you specify to include a sync stripper in the design. The Extron won't take the signal otherwise. I'd gave gone for this option if available back when I did my setup.

https://retro-access.com/collections/custom-cables
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

kitty666cats wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

I misread your question, Didn't realize you were looking for a splitter, rather than a switch. Sorry!
tacameron

Post by tacameron »

Hey SuperG quick question long setup
I have My Scart Cables connected to a RGB2Comp Transcoder to the Gcompsw

the chain looks like this
Genesis2(for instance)>RetroGamingCables Scart Cable(c-Sync)>Retrotink RGB2Comp>Monoprice premium 1.5ft Component Cable>GCompSW8x2)>Monoprice premium 6ft Component Cable> Sony Trinitron KV-36fv310

The problem I'm seeing is when the transcoder has power plugged in to it but no System is turned out the screen flickers purple and green,reminds me as if the switch or transcoder is sending a signal of some sort but no sync is present because the system is off. If the console is on everything works great. Is this a incompatibility of some sort. I will note when i tried plugging this chain into a LCD TV with component it does not display this issue.

If i take the GCompSW out of the chain no issues.

Things I've tried
Swapping all cables for other cables
tried every port on the GCOMPSW
put TV on other GcompSw output
removed all other component systems from switch
tried the other component input on the TV

I am using the GcompSW supplied PSU and the transcoder Im using a Samsung Phone Brick and Official cable

Thanks for all your help
bnr32jason

Post by bnr32jason »

Apologies if this has been asked before, but with 155 pages, it's hard to find all the answers.

Currently I'm using a cheap 4x2 component matrix and it works fine, but I need more inputs and would like something known to be great quality like the gcompsw.

Will this allow me to select which input goes to which output? I have 480p/1080i CRT and a 240p/480i CRT. With something like the PS2, if the game supports 480p I like to send the signal to the proper TV, if not, it goes to the lower res TV. Right now I do that with some simple selector buttons.

Since this seems to all be automatic, how does that work? Or will it work for my needs at all?

Thanks!
JBC

Post by JBC »

Just ordered a couple gcompsw, don't mind the wait for such convenience now that I have 13 component devices I need to feed into an OSSC and CRT. Will be nice to retire my 5 daisy chained switchers. Well done, superg. Keep up the great work.

I can finally get around to some of the consoles I've been putting off too. Maybe a Jag or NeoGeo...
Godzilla was an inside job
superg

Post by superg »

bnr32jason wrote:Apologies if this has been asked before, but with 155 pages, it's hard to find all the answers.

Currently I'm using a cheap 4x2 component matrix and it works fine, but I need more inputs and would like something known to be great quality like the gcompsw.

Will this allow me to select which input goes to which output? I have 480p/1080i CRT and a 240p/480i CRT. With something like the PS2, if the game supports 480p I like to send the signal to the proper TV, if not, it goes to the lower res TV. Right now I do that with some simple selector buttons.

Since this seems to all be automatic, how does that work? Or will it work for my needs at all?

Thanks!
gcompsw is automatic switch so you won't be able to control inputs forwarding. However two outputs can be used simultaneously so you should be able to get it the way you want if I am not missing anything.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

bnr32jason wrote:Will this allow me to select which input goes to which output? I have 480p/1080i CRT and a 240p/480i CRT. With something like the PS2, if the game supports 480p I like to send the signal to the proper TV, if not, it goes to the lower res TV. Right now I do that with some simple selector buttons.
Superg's switches are not matrix switches. Both outputs always send the same signal.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
eastdon

Post by eastdon »

Hi SuperG! I'm really interested in your gscartsw after hearing all the positive reviews and praises about your device!
I tried ordering one from your site since as of December 24, 2019, it is still available for sale.
Unfortunately, I ran into an issue with shipping costing an unbelievably insane amount.
I wasn't even given an option to input my shipping address yet. It just goes straight to PayPal with exorbitant shipping fees.

LINK OF SCREENSHOT AS PROOF: https://imgur.com/a/XK3VE6I

Any chance you could help? I'm really interested in your device for my setup!
Thanks!
FRO

Post by FRO »

2 questions:

1. Any idea of when the gscartsw might be available again?
2. There was some buzz a while back, elsewhere online, about Stone Age Gamer selling an official, SAG-branded version of the gscartsw and gcompsw. Is that still happening?

One of these would be great in my streaming setup, but the SAG units would likely come with a nice case of some kind, which would be good to keep it from getting accidentally fried from static in my janky environment. I could use the dual-output to send a signal to my OSSC for streams, and to a RetroTINK SCART to Component box to send to a CRT for play, which would be nice.
superg

Post by superg »

FRO wrote:2 questions:

1. Any idea of when the gscartsw might be available again?
gscartsw is in stock, gcompsw is out of stock, did you mean gcompsw?
FRO wrote: 2. There was some buzz a while back, elsewhere online, about Stone Age Gamer selling an official, SAG-branded version of the gscartsw and gcompsw. Is that still happening?

One of these would be great in my streaming setup, but the SAG units would likely come with a nice case of some kind, which would be good to keep it from getting accidentally fried from static in my janky environment. I could use the dual-output to send a signal to my OSSC for streams, and to a RetroTINK SCART to Component box to send to a CRT for play, which would be nice.
This is slow and unfortunately I'm not able to tell anything definitive at this point. Case doesn't have much to do with static.
superg

Post by superg »

tacameron wrote:Hey SuperG quick question long setup

Genesis2(for instance)>RetroGamingCables Scart Cable(c-Sync)>Retrotink RGB2Comp>Monoprice premium 1.5ft Component Cable>GCompSW8x2)>Monoprice premium 6ft Component Cable> Sony Trinitron KV-36fv310

The problem I'm seeing is when the transcoder has power plugged in to it but no System is turned out the screen flickers purple and green,reminds me as if the switch or transcoder is sending a signal of some sort but no sync is present because the system is off. If the console is on everything works great. Is this a incompatibility of some sort. I will note when i tried plugging this chain into a LCD TV with component it does not display this issue.

Things I've tried

I am using the GcompSW supplied PSU and the transcoder Im using a Samsung Phone Brick and Official cable

Thanks for all your help
Missed your post, probably because pre moderation, PM responded.
Matt32

Post by Matt32 »

The GCompSW looks really cool and I'm interested in ordering one. Waiting until March (which I understood as a worst-case-reasonably-probable scenario) is no problem. Once ordered, do we get notified down the line once the specific timing is confirmed, or should I just check back in here every once in a while? (Both fine, just curious.)
xlom3000

Post by xlom3000 »

superg wrote:
tacameron wrote:Hey SuperG quick question long setup

Things I've tried

Thanks for all your help
Missed your post, probably because pre moderation, PM responded.
I'm actually curious of the outcome of this as I was planning on picking up an RGB2Comp at some point as well.
superg

Post by superg »

xlom3000 wrote: I'm actually curious of the outcome of this as I was planning on picking up an RGB2Comp at some point as well.
This is not an issue other than some random graphical display when everything is turned off and it doesn't break any switching functionality.

What is happening that when there is no input, switch cycles on every input and temporarily forwards it and decides whether there is a signal, it sees no signal and cycles to the next. Meanwhile RGB2Comp drives sync line high when there is no input, in turn gcompsw forwards that logic high for some time, doesn't detect the signal (because there are no sync pulses) and switches to the next input. Inbetween that switch, sync output becomes logic low for a brief moment so combination of all these effects simulates some weird ass sync which apparently detected as something by Sony Trinitron :).

I have yet to see what's going on with the scope but I am 95% sure that's it.
joetheshow

Post by joetheshow »

Just put in an order and got the “order placed” screen and now I’m seeing the gscartsw is out of stock... did I get the last one or did I pay and miss it?