gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
samson7point1

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by samson7point1 »

My plan is to chain the new switch off of my 3.4. My power situation is ridiculously crowded as it is so I would like to avoid adding another plug. If I use a splitter and adapter, is the power supply that shipped with the 3.4 enough to power two switches?
superg

Post by superg »

coderkind wrote:People get used to mass-produced, cheaply-made goods. This isn't that (but the expectation is still there).

I've been very happy with my gscartsw_lite and have ordered one of the new models.

Just wondering; should the power protection features of this new 5.1 model mean that those AliExpress "CBOX" Neo Geo consoles with the off-spec video power specs would be safe to use in conjunction with the gscartsw 5.1 and an OSSC?
The protection there is just to prevent gscartsw from dying if something faulty is connected. It's not intended to have it running, this is the exceptional situation. If it works - it's coincidence.
Nosgothy wrote:Shut up and take my money!

Just placed my order as well. I'm #51 so far. 8)
#51 is just a paypal order number, I chose 51 as this is gscartsw v5.1 :). Paypal confuses everybody.
RagingAvatar wrote:Just checking:
SoG support means I'll be able to output 480p+ (1080i on GT5) from my PS2 over RGB SCART and have the GSCARTSW convert it into RGB for me right?

EDIT:
Also, does the new revision use the THS7374 chip that produces the low pass filter (I've been watching the My Life in Gaming video (https://youtu.be/998tBzpJhVo?t=865)) - as I'm planning on using this with a Framemeister and don't want the soft image of two low pass filters.
Yes, SoG will support 1080i conversion, everything will work exactly like you've described.
No, THS7374 (or any other THS) is not used in my current design thus you don't get any filters applied.
ldeveraux wrote:
tusecsy wrote:Wow, 40$ mark up and a 9 week wait. Please justify this 40$ increase for the 4$ worth of extra parts? This thing is not worth 240$, sorry.
You've seriously gone off the rails with this topic. The cost increase is justified right there on the gscartsw page. We know you disagree with it and have some hair across your butt with SuperG, but you need to get over yourself. All of these people registering just to thank him are evidence enough that many more people find this device useful than not. If you don't want to buy it (I think you're prevented from it anyway) then just move on. Please!
I didn't do anything to prevent him purchasing, I don't know his real name :). I know he owns one of my switches and he PM'd me in the past but I lost it all, too many messages. I'm just curious what's the reason of his aggression, I've seen his posts in hydra topic and he was always respectful there, no unreasonable demands and attitude was OK. So it must be me and my products LOL.
samson7point1 wrote:My plan is to chain the new switch off of my 3.4. My power situation is ridiculously crowded as it is so I would like to avoid adding another plug. If I use a splitter and adapter, is the power supply that shipped with the 3.4 enough to power two switches?
The power requirements between v3.4 and v5.1 (current) are different, unfortunately DC splitter won't work. In my setup I'm currently using 4port USB charger and I power up XRGB, clock and PSTV with it, maybe you can use something like that.
RagingAvatar

Post by RagingAvatar »

superg wrote:
SoG support means I'll be able to output 480p+ (1080i on GT5) from my PS2 over RGB SCART and have the GSCARTSW convert it into RGB for me right?

EDIT:
Also, does the new revision use the THS7374 chip that produces the low pass filter (I've been watching the My Life in Gaming video (https://youtu.be/998tBzpJhVo?t=865)) - as I'm planning on using this with a Framemeister and don't want the soft image of two low pass filters.
Yes, SoG will support 1080i conversion, everything will work exactly like you've described.
No, THS7374 (or any other THS) is not used in my current design thus you don't get any filters applied.
This is a really big deal. Doesn't this mean that using the gscartsw is the easiest way to get 480p over RGB from a PS2 to a Framemeister? This is huge!
XB GT: RagingAvatar
superg

Post by superg »

RagingAvatar wrote: This is a really big deal. Doesn't this mean that using the gscartsw is the easiest way to get 480p over RGB from a PS2 to a Framemeister? This is huge!
Apparently that was most asked feature and it took most time to implement.
RagingAvatar

Post by RagingAvatar »

superg wrote:
RagingAvatar wrote: This is a really big deal. Doesn't this mean that using the gscartsw is the easiest way to get 480p over RGB from a PS2 to a Framemeister? This is huge!
Apparently that was most asked feature and it took most time to implement.
Well, I'm very pleased that's for sure!
I was recently looking into how to do this and I was contemplating a much more complicated setup.. I think it involved an Extron.
Thank you very much! I'd already ordered but I'm very glad to have it confirmed!
samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

superg wrote:
samson7point1 wrote:My plan is to chain the new switch off of my 3.4. My power situation is ridiculously crowded as it is so I would like to avoid adding another plug. If I use a splitter and adapter, is the power supply that shipped with the 3.4 enough to power two switches?
The power requirements between v3.4 and v5.1 (current) are different, unfortunately DC splitter won't work. In my setup I'm currently using 4port USB charger and I power up XRGB, clock and PSTV with it, maybe you can use something like that.
So the power supply for the 3.4 doesn't produce enough current to simultaneously power both? I'm mostly interested in powering both switches with the same supply even if I have to get a new supply to do it. What are the respective current requirements of the two switches? As long as the total current output of the power supply is enough to handle the total draw by the devices it should be all good, right?

Would your 4-port USB charger be able to power the 3.4 with an appropriate adapter? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/TENINYU-5-5x2-1m ... +to+dc+5.5
superg

Post by superg »

samson7point1 wrote:
superg wrote:
So the power supply for the 3.4 doesn't produce enough current to simultaneously power both? I'm mostly interested in powering both switches with the same supply even if I have to get a new supply to do it. What are the respective current requirements of the two switches? As long as the total current output of the power supply is enough to handle the total draw by the devices it should be all good, right?

Would your 4-port USB charger be able to power the 3.4 with an appropriate adapter? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/TENINYU-5-5x2-1m ... +to+dc+5.5
It's not current, it's voltage! The v3.4 requires 7-12V, v5.1 is MicroUSB and USB is always 5V. You can't just interchange the cables.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

To be clear, it's all RGB. The only difference is which wire is carrying the sync signals. When the console is outputting RGB video in SD resolutions, sync is provided on the composite video line (and also luma); but composite video gets shut off when using ED and HD resolutions, because that format only supports SD video, so sync is instead muxed to Green. In both cases, it's still RGB.

(Luma also gets shut off when the console switches to ED/HD, but it's less clear why, since luma can definitely support ED/HD--it needs to to provide YPbPr. Perhaps generating ED/HD luma is just superfluous work for the GPU when outputting RGB, since RGB doesn't use it?)
samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

superg wrote:It's not current, it's voltage! The v3.4 requires 7-12V, v5.1 is MicroUSB and USB is always 5V. You can't just interchange the cables.
Aah, so when you said this:
superg wrote:The power requirements between v3.4 and v5.1 (current) are different, unfortunately DC splitter won't work. In my setup I'm currently using 4port USB charger and I power up XRGB, clock and PSTV with it, maybe you can use something like that.
By "(current)" you meant "the current version of the switch" not "the two versions require different amperes". Haha. Sorry about the confusion.

I'll just have to use two plugs I guess. Just out of curiosity what was it (which component) in the 3.4 that required higher voltage? Most of the equipment I come across ends up regulating everything down to 5v internally.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

ldeveraux wrote:
tusecsy wrote:Wow, 40$ mark up and a 9 week wait. Please justify this 40$ increase for the 4$ worth of extra parts? This thing is not worth 240$, sorry.
You've seriously gone off the rails with this topic. The cost increase is justified right there on the gscartsw page. We know you disagree with it and have some hair across your butt with SuperG, but you need to get over yourself. All of these people registering just to thank him are evidence enough that many more people find this device useful than not. If you don't want to buy it (I think you're prevented from it anyway) then just move on. Please!
I still have yet to hear how he justifies a 40$ price increase for sync-on-green....

Maybe he shouldn't spend all his capital on trips to nyc?
superg

Post by superg »

samson7point1 wrote: By "(current)" you meant "the current version of the switch" not "the two versions require different amperes". Haha. Sorry about the confusion.

I'll just have to use two plugs I guess. Just out of curiosity what was it (which component) in the 3.4 that required higher voltage? Most of the equipment I come across ends up regulating everything down to 5v internally.
LOL, sorry for the confusion, yeah, I meant "current version". There is no component on v3.4 version which required more voltage, there is DC-DC converter which makes 5V and 2.5V from 7-12V. The initial thought was that it's convenient to have the switch powered from the same source as most of the older consoles like NES, Genesis, SNES etc as all these use some sort of 7805 which accepts 9V. Then I changed plug polarity from negative to positive and the current iteration is USB powered as I see that it's convenient for everybody these days.
slerch666

Post by slerch666 »

tusecsy wrote: I still have yet to hear how he justifies a 40$ price increase for sync-on-green....

He also added audio/video input protection which required added hardware and he upgraded the Altera FPGA being used to account for the sync on green.

He's entitled to make money and do whatever he wants with it.
RagingAvatar

Post by RagingAvatar »

tusecsy wrote:
I still have yet to hear how he justifies a 40$ price increase for sync-on-green....

Dude, it's simple. If you don't like it, you think it's not worth the extra $40, you don't want it? Don't buy it. Please stop derailing the thread from genuine questions about the unit and stop dogging a guy contributing to our hobby.
superg

Post by superg »

tusecsy wrote: I still have yet to hear how he justifies a 40$ price increase for sync-on-green....
It's not sync-on-green alone.
ESD208B102ELE6327XTMA1 x48 - protection diodes are half of that amount
LMH6715MA/NOPB, OPA2356AIDR, SN74LVC1G3157DBVR, faster generator, faster ADC for HD support, bigger Altera Max V 5M240ZT100C5N, DIP switch and a lot of new resistors / capacitors.
Also components get more expensive than they were half a year ago, I have two spreadsheets where I calculate everything. PCB assembly also depends on components count.
So just admit you know nothing about the stuff. Potentially I should also add something for the SoG performed mainly on Altera side (which I don't currently include) because this is my project and I'm free to do whatever I want :)
tusecsy wrote:Maybe he shouldn't spend all his capital on trips to nyc?
That we can discuss further in real life meeting if you want.
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

Quick question SuperG....does RGsB 480p work on the gscartsw 3.4 port 8 if it's outputted into a gscartsw lite, then into an OSSC? Or would it have to go direct from 3.4 into the OSSC as the lite wouldn't recognise the signal?

I have both and am currently trying to resist the urge to buy the 3rd version LOL.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

eric90000 wrote:Quick question SuperG....does RGsB 480p work on the gscartsw 3.4 port 8 if it's outputted into a gscartsw lite, then into an OSSC? Or would it have to go direct from 3.4 into the OSSC as the lite wouldn't recognise the signal?

I have both and am currently trying to resist the urge to buy the 3rd version LOL.
A device missing sync on composite/luma/csync line will never pass through a lite.

I believe the OSSC has a RGsB mode (double check me on that). If so then the whole setup would work as long as you toggled the OSSC to the correct mode each time, had the 3.4 as the last device in your switching chain, and plugged your RGsB source directly into port 8 on the 3.4

Any other configuration will not work.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

eric90000 wrote:Quick question SuperG....does RGsB 480p work on the gscartsw 3.4 port 8 if it's outputted into a gscartsw lite, then into an OSSC? Or would it have to go direct from 3.4 into the OSSC as the lite wouldn't recognise the signal?
I don't think a lite will ever switch unless there is a sync signal on the line, with SoG there wouldn't be, so nothing will get passed through.

I believe the original gscartsw had port8 as the default, i think lite has no port as default.
DirkSwizzler wrote: I believe the OSSC has a RGsB mode (double check me on that). If so then the whole setup would work as long as you toggled the OSSC to the correct mode each time, had the 3.4 as the last device in your switching chain, and plugged your RGsB source directly into port 8 on the 3.4
RGsB is indeed a separate mode, all you would have to do is switch to it as you've said here.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Strange, my note also mentions #51 :)
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DirkSwizzler wrote:

A device missing sync on composite/luma/csync line will never pass through a lite.

I believe the OSSC has a RGsB mode (double check me on that). If so then the whole setup would work as long as you toggled the OSSC to the correct mode each time, had the 3.4 as the last device in your switching chain, and plugged your RGsB source directly into port 8 on the 3.4

Any other configuration will not work.
djc5166 wrote:I don't think a lite will ever switch unless there is a sync signal on the line, with SoG there wouldn't be, so nothing will get passed through.

I believe the original gscartsw had port8 as the default, i think lite has no port as default.
This is all correct. The lite (I guess now retroactively known as gscartsw 4 series?) requires some type of separate sync signal, which is not provided with RGsB.

If you have a gscartsw <=3.4 and a gscartsw 4.x/lite, and you want to use RGsB from your PS2, you will need to have the 3.4 connected to your display (or to whatever), your PS2 connected to port 8, and your lite connected to any other port; then you will need to toggle your OSSC to RGsB. This does, however, limit you to one RGsB device. If you need to accommodate more, I would recommend getting the new version, setting it to decode RGsB to RGBS, and daisy-chaining it to your 3.4 (if you need the DE-15 output) or lite (if you don't).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

waiwainl wrote:

Strange, my note also mentions #51 :)
It's the item number, not the order number. :P
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

superg wrote:
LMH6715MA/NOPB, OPA2356AIDR, SN74LVC1G3157DBVR, faster generator, faster ADC for HD support, bigger Altera Max V 5M240ZT100C5N, DIP switch and a lot of new resistors / capacitors.
Also components get more expensive than they were half a year ago, I have two spreadsheets where I calculate everything. PCB assembly also depends on components count.
So just admit you know nothing about the stuff. Potentially I should also add something for the SoG performed mainly on Altera side (which I don't currently include) because this is my project and I'm free to do whatever I want :)
Ahh so we're paying another 20$+ across hundreds of units because a couple of complete morons decided to hook their shady superguns up to it.....awesome! Would've liked a cheaper version without this feature, but oh well, gotta cater to the lowest common denominator (i guess).

As for meeting in real life...wouldn't wanna delay gscart shipments another 4 months!
superg

Post by superg »

Yes, it will be forwarded as is on input 8 in < v3.4 but there will be no conversion. That will work on OSSC which supports SoG but won't work on Framemeister. As others mentioned, you won't get this behavior on v3.4 inputs 1-7 and on gscartsw_lite as switching principle is different there.
waiwainl wrote: Strange, my note also mentions #51 :)
#51 is just paypal item id, I've set it to 51 as it's gscartsw v5.1 :)
samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

tusecsy wrote:
superg wrote:
Ahh so we're paying another 20$+ across hundreds of units because a couple of complete morons decided to hook their shady superguns up to it.....awesome! Would've liked a cheaper version without this feature, but oh well, gotta cater to the lowest common denominator (i guess).

As for meeting in real life...wouldn't wanna delay gscart shipments another 4 months!
When are you doing preorders for your SCART switch, tusecsy? The prototype isn't much to look at, only works with RGB modded CDi's and will burn out if you try to use it to watch a Video CD but at least it's only $20.
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

tusecsy wrote:

Dude, are you intentionally trolling or what's up? Your persistent complaining isn't helping anyone and it's clear SuperG isn't going to change anything based on your feedback. If an extra $20 offends you so much, then this isn't the right kind of product for you and you should be looking for cheaper alternatives. 99% of people are appreciative of what SuperG is doing with these products, and are more than willing to purchase at this price point, given the time and expertise that goes into making them - hence the overwhelming interest every time these go on sale.

Something tells me you're gonna eventually buy one anyway as you've been fairly constant with the criticisms, so why not just avoid all the moaning?
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

tusecsy wrote: Ahh so we're paying another 20$+ across hundreds of units because a couple of complete morons decided to hook their shady superguns up to it.....awesome! Would've liked a cheaper version without this feature, but oh well, gotta cater to the lowest common denominator (i guess).

You're not paying + anything if you don't buy it.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

eric90000 wrote:
tusecsy wrote:

Dude, are you intentionally trolling or what's up? Your persistent complaining isn't helping anyone and it's clear SuperG isn't going to change anything based on your feedback. If an extra $20 offends you so much, then this isn't the right kind of product for you and you should be looking for cheaper alternatives. 99% of people are appreciative of what SuperG is doing with these products, and are more than willing to purchase at this price point, given the time and expertise that goes into making them - hence the overwhelming interest every time these go on sale.

Something tells me you're gonna eventually buy one anyway as you've been fairly constant with the criticisms, so why not just avoid all the moaning?
He literally added sync on green and is doing a preorder thanks to me so...

When I start bitching about how it doesn't have remote support you'll know what the next feature will be :)
Kamon137

Post by Kamon137 »

Dang, sold out already? Glad to see these are still moving well. Guess I'll have to wait for the next batch.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Kamon137 wrote:Dang, sold out already? Glad to see these are still moving well. Guess I'll have to wait for the next batch.
The order link is working for me.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
Kamon137

Post by Kamon137 »

the Goat wrote:
Kamon137 wrote:Dang, sold out already? Glad to see these are still moving well. Guess I'll have to wait for the next batch.
The order link is working for me.
That's odd. I'm still seeing Sold Out.

EDIT: Oops! Never mind. I just realized he's gone back to the gscartsw name rather than gscartsw_lite. I was looking at the wrong page!
DoctorPoo

Post by DoctorPoo »

Longtime lurker, just wanted to chime in with thanks for making these switchers available. I’ve been using a couple manual Bandbridges for a while now.

im really excited about dual outputs so I don’t have to keep messing with cables if I want to go from PVM to HDTV.

And now we wait... :D