Re: gscartsw: automatic 8:1 SCART-RGB switch

Post by nio »

Looking forward to that one too.
Dinofly

Post by Dinofly »

I really need this, can' wait to be... waiting on the list. :lol:

I have two questions:

Why center the SCART inputs and ouputs on the board ? As you know, the problem with cables is the space they are taking in the whole installation, so this switch will probably be hidden somewhere below the TV. As SCART cables are rarely straight, the switch will end up with one side of the switch loaded with cables, and the other side with nothing on it. To save some space, i would put the switch next to a wall, so the side with no cables on it will not be next to the wall and take extra space. I don't know if you can see what i mean...

Maybe this question is already answered somewhere (i've read a lot of comments, just not all of them): do you plan on releasing the specs of this product in an open source license so others would be able to manufacture it ? Like you said, getting this product from the US while living in Europe will increase the price a lot. Some local Fab Labs could maybe help getting it done for the people interested. Just asking, of course you do what you want with what you created.
HiroWorship

Post by HiroWorship »

Please put me on the list to order one of these as soon as pre-orders or other purchase methods are available.
I have 6 RGB consoles so this will be a godsend.
superg

Post by superg »

Dinofly wrote: Why center the SCART inputs and ouputs on the board ? As you know, the problem with cables is the space they are taking in the whole installation, so this switch will probably be hidden somewhere below the TV. As SCART cables are rarely straight, the switch will end up with one side of the switch loaded with cables, and the other side with nothing on it. To save some space, i would put the switch next to a wall, so the side with no cables on it will not be next to the wall and take extra space. I don't know if you can see what i mean...
There is enough space for the cables to go in any direction without sticking out. IMHO if I would move the sockets to the side it will not look good.
Dinofly wrote: Maybe this question is already answered somewhere (i've read a lot of comments, just not all of them): do you plan on releasing the specs of this product in an open source license so others would be able to manufacture it ? Like you said, getting this product from the US while living in Europe will increase the price a lot. Some local Fab Labs could maybe help getting it done for the people interested. Just asking, of course you do what you want with what you created.
I invested too much funds into that stuff, first I need to get them back. In few years from now if it'll go well this may be an option.
Necreia

Post by Necreia »

Cracks me up that people still continuously ask to be 'put on the list'. Perhaps it's time to break out the <blink> and <marquee> tags on the original post telling them that you won't...

It gets a lot of praise on review sites. Whatever distributors you pass it over to, superg, will sell out pretty quickly. I hope a quality unit like this lands you a sizable side-income. Not enough people are catering to the retro market, and it's great to see someone who is.

I've been monitoring this every day, and really excited to get my hands on one.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Have I asked about this before? Maybe, my memory is ever eroding. Anywaste, the JP21 version, is that one still being worked on in any capacity, or should I open the old coffers and invest in a SELECTY21, which costs twice ss much, and has half as many inputs?
superg

Post by superg »

kamiboy wrote:Have I asked about this before? Maybe, my memory is ever eroding. Anywaste, the JP21 version, is that one still being worked on in any capacity, or should I open the old coffers and invest in a SELECTY21, which costs twice ss much, and has half as many inputs?
JP21 version will be manufactured right after I'll get soldered SCART boards here.
FBX

Post by FBX »

superg wrote:
kamiboy wrote:Have I asked about this before? Maybe, my memory is ever eroding. Anywaste, the JP21 version, is that one still being worked on in any capacity, or should I open the old coffers and invest in a SELECTY21, which costs twice ss much, and has half as many inputs?
JP21 version will be manufactured right after I'll get soldered SCART boards here.
I'll be keeping tabs on when you have the JP-21 version available as I need one myself!
boatcrash

Post by boatcrash »

I'm also interested in buying 2 of the SCART switchers when they become available. I'll be watching this thread with great interest.
zombie343

Post by zombie343 »

Assembler games forum is gone! :(

I'm going to subscribe to this thread, but I REALLY want 2 of these switches!

Thank you!
drbananahammock1

Post by drbananahammock1 »

superg, I still want my JP21 switch when it's ready! Hopefully Assember will come back up before that.
Ras137

Post by Ras137 »

Any updates in the last 2 weeks? I was watching assembler games forum closely, but its been down so long I had to crate an account here. And is this now the best place to get updates. Thanks.
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

Ras137 wrote:Any updates in the last 2 weeks? I was watching assembler games forum closely, but its been down so long I had to crate an account here. And is this now the best place to get updates. Thanks.
he posted on the assembler reddit recently

http://www.reddit.com/r/assemblergames/ ... _gone_can/
superg

Post by superg »

Ras137 wrote:Any updates in the last 2 weeks? I was watching assembler games forum closely, but its been down so long I had to crate an account here. And is this now the best place to get updates. Thanks.
Boards are here.
My manufacturer made a mistake and soldered capacitors instead of resistors in a few places ;) - this has been resolved.
Video amplification level is too high because slightly different video amplifier has been used - I'm working on it now.
kcsims

Post by kcsims »

superg wrote:
Boards are here.
My manufacturer made a mistake and soldered capacitors instead of resistors in a few places ;) - this has been resolved.
Video amplification level is too high because slightly different video amplifier has been used - I'm working on it now.
How do orders work? Do you already have a preorder list or are they first come when you say they are ready to go?
Thamiel

Post by Thamiel »

kcsims wrote:
superg wrote:
Boards are here.
How do orders work? Do you already have a preorder list or are they first come when you say they are ready to go?

First post of this thread.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

To save me going through 9 pages of this thread, what is the PSU specifically for?

I mean, which consoles are likely to require it?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

neorichieb1971 wrote:To save me going through 9 pages of this thread, what is the PSU specifically for?

I mean, which consoles are likely to require it?
To power the LM1881 sync cleaner circuit instead of having to depend on the +5v line in your SCART cable.
superg

Post by superg »

The features in the first post has been outdated, I'll change it later. Current switch version is v3. It supports simultaneous SCART & VGA/3.5_Audio output, CVBS-based signal detection (no more power pin analysis) and includes video amplifier. External power is now required and needed for both video amplifier and EL1883 (which is similar to LM1881 but includes HSYNC/VSYNC for VGA).
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Well, shucks. I am sorry to hear that these new additions require external power. I found the idea of a passive device powered by the SCART inputs very appealing.
arovane

Post by arovane »

Hi Superg. Bought a switch from you a year ago or so. Very happy. Would love to have another one since then.
Is it possible to order now, or do you need more time?
Thanks
Dinofly

Post by Dinofly »

kamiboy wrote:Well, shucks. I am sorry to hear that these new additions require external power. I found the idea of a passive device powered by the SCART inputs very appealing.
Same for me :cry:
Would the device work at least as a simple SCART switch (no amplification nor sync stripping) when no external power is plugged in ?
superg

Post by superg »

kamiboy wrote:Well, shucks. I am sorry to hear that these new additions require external power. I found the idea of a passive device powered by the SCART inputs very appealing.
Some 3rd party SCART cables doesn't route power pins, official cables limit current. You'll have either to fix your cables or use a power supply. From my experience people prefer simple solutions and just plug power supply.
As I've said I'd love to power my switch from input SCART but it's burden for everybody else.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

I know, but with the previous revisions I think that you had a choice. By the sound of it the external PSU is now obligatory.
superg

Post by superg »

arovane wrote:Hi Superg. Bought a switch from you a year ago or so. Very happy. Would love to have another one since then.
Is it possible to order now, or do you need more time?
Thanks
You'll have to wait until I'll finish with pre-orders.
Dinofly wrote:Same for me :cry:
Would the device work at least as a simple SCART switch (no amplification nor sync stripping) when no external power is plugged in ?
No, sorry. Anyway all of you will have at least one console which requires 9-10V, center negative, just use 2:1 power splitter and problem solved.
superg

Post by superg »

kamiboy wrote:I know, but with the previous revisions I think that you had a choice. By the sound of it the external PSU is now obligatory.
Yeah, I had to remove this functionality mainly because of video amplifier. You'll want to have video amplifier much more than power by input simply because it provides better picture quality. And all of us need quality, right?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

That is the thing though, I am not sure what this new addition is needed for. All of my systems already provide me with a crystal clear image from SCART, is the amp required for the switching functionality?

If not, then what sort of user is the amp aimed at?
superg

Post by superg »

kamiboy wrote:That is the thing though, I am not sure what this new addition is needed for. All of my systems already provide me with a crystal clear image from SCART, is the amp required for the switching functionality?

If not, then what sort of user is the amp aimed at?
It was explained here in this topic by viletim.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Ah, I remember that conversation now that I've revisited it. But I thought you dismissed it being an issue since you had already tested extreme scenarios without visible degradation.

That meddling villetim!!