gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ldeveraux

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by ldeveraux »

kitty666cats wrote:
Icelvlan wrote:Does anyone have any tips in scart connectors not getting loose easily in gscart switches?

Most of my cables are retro access. and I find whenever I move stuff slightly I have to reconnect the cables.
thefoo.83 has great cables that aren't a super tight fit, consolegoods.co.uk cables are pretty good for the price too (sync on composite video, but hey the gscart-switch is giving you RGBS anyway). Kinda thin but no screwy audio!

Insurrection Industries cables are a good fit in damn near every connector I've ever encountered.
That's the expensive solution to cable insecurity. Buy new cables!
Icelvlan

Post by Icelvlan »

Lol ya not replacing these cables.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

ldeveraux wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
Icelvlan wrote:Does anyone have any tips in scart connectors not getting loose easily in gscart switches?

Most of my cables are retro access. and I find whenever I move stuff slightly I have to reconnect the cables.
thefoo.83 has great cables that aren't a super tight fit, consolegoods.co.uk cables are pretty good for the price too (sync on composite video, but hey the gscart-switch is giving you RGBS anyway). Kinda thin but no screwy audio!

Insurrection Industries cables are a good fit in damn near every connector I've ever encountered.
That's the expensive solution to cable insecurity. Buy new cables!
I sold my 'fancy' cables for pretty good $ on eBay recently and just started rocking cheaper cables that I knew were reputable from past experience, heh. Everything's going into a sync cleaner right before my monitor anyway/my console cables are purposely quite short. But yeah, if one has already took the plunge on numerous 50 dollar specialty cables, replacing them doesn't sound too fun! :o

Maybe there's some sort of light adhesive spray Icelvlan could look into...?
seldinger

Post by seldinger »

Does the gscartsw support either :

1. Pi2SCART http://pi2jamma.info/pi2scart
or
2. MiSTer https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki using a retroaccess VGA to SCART cable (https://retro-access.com/products/mister-io-scart)

I'm afraid to try them given the issues with superguns ; but presumably these are different? Thanks in advance!
superg

Post by superg »

seldinger wrote:Does the gscartsw support either :

or
I tried the other raspberry pi scart solution, forgot the name but it was all good.
seldinger wrote: 2. MiSTer https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki using a retroaccess VGA to SCART cable (https://retro-access.com/products/mister-io-scart)

I'm afraid to try them given the issues with superguns ; but presumably these are different? Thanks in advance!
This is more a question to Bob from retrorgb, I'm not familiar with mister.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

superg wrote:

or
I tried the other raspberry pi scart solution, forgot the name but it was all good.
That would be RGB-Pi, that one's 12V over SCART. Never tried Pi2SCART / unsure of whether it's 5 or 12. I'm willing to bet it's probably even 'safer', the RGB-Pi cable has given people problems RE: blowin' stuff out & I have never heard of Pi2SCART doing so.
superg

Post by superg »

kitty666cats wrote:
superg wrote:

or
That would be RGB-Pi, that one's 12V over SCART. Never tried Pi2SCART / unsure of whether it's 5 or 12. I'm willing to bet it's probably even 'safer', the RGB-Pi cable has given people problems RE: blowin' stuff out & I have never heard of Pi2SCART doing so.
Yes, it was RGB-Pi. 12V? I don't think RGBS lines were that. That was connected to raspberry pi GPIO bus, I don't think that can do 12V unless there is some DC-DC. RGB-Pi even worked on my gscartsw_lite which had -2.5V..2.5V multiplexer range so it's ruling out 5V on RGBS lines.
Of course it can be higher voltage on SCART pin 8 / pin 16 but these are disconnected on gscartsw.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

superg wrote:Yes, it was RGB-Pi. 12V? I don't think RGBS lines were that. That was connected to raspberry pi GPIO bus, I don't think that can do 12V unless there is some DC-DC. RGB-Pi even worked on my gscartsw_lite which had -2.5V..2.5V multiplexer range so it's ruling out 5V on RGBS lines.
Of course it can be higher voltage on SCART pin 8 / pin 16 but these are disconnected on gscartsw.
"Hardware specifications
New feature auto-switching to AV channel on 4:3 with 12v stepup, 18 Bit RGB without conversions and clean CSync signal generated on the PCB within the scart providing the highest possible signal quality and the lowest loss, two filtered audio channels improved, all pre configured on our OS"

via https://www.rgb-pi.com/

my bad, it's the 12v auto-switching that I was specifically thinking of, I misremembered!
RetroSnow

Post by RetroSnow »

Interesting turn of events - my new cable for the PCE arrived today and now my PCE works with the gscartsw.

Only issue is that my colors are all wrong so I'm assuming that's a pin assignment issue. At least we're up and running now and it's not that the gscartsw hates the mod. *whew

EDIT: I rewired the 6 & 7 pins and now we're back in action.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Are these color issues (and whatever else) more common with the SCART switch? I am using SCART, but it's gong thru component converters, and will be going into the Component Switch. I'm hoping I don't run into these
issues. God knows I'm not going figure them out, easily. :lol:
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Are these color issues (and whatever else) more common with the SCART switch? I am using SCART, but it's gong thru component converters, and will be going into the Component Switch. I'm hoping I don't run into these
In my experience the weird color issues with my NESRGB and Genesis were bad soldering from the mod. My modder did a not-so-great job on the connections, then hotglued the entire thing to the board. So to repair it I had to rip up the glue, then fix the solder. This is also with those RA cables that had easily breakable interfaces where their connections would break when stressed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's usually not the switch! I have another SCART switch into my gcompsw and video issues are always in the cables.
RetroSnow

Post by RetroSnow »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Are these color issues (and whatever else) more common with the SCART switch? I am using SCART, but it's gong thru component converters, and will be going into the Component Switch. I'm hoping I don't run into these
Mine definitely had nothing to do with the switch either - just some goofy pin assignments in the mod.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Good to hear.
Kapten Kolja

Post by Kapten Kolja »

Good things come to those who wait! Got my gscartsw today, just a week shy of five months in transit I think... :D

The switch looks great, hope I’ll have time to try it soon.
Bonus Lizard

Post by Bonus Lizard »

After getting a bumper for my gscartsw_lite from Laser Bear, I discovered that the holes in the upper plexi are slightly misaligned. This causes it to sit above the SCART inputs instead of lying flush with them, and one of the screws was even bent as a result. Would it be possible for me to get a replacement for the upper plexi? Thanks in advance.
superg

Post by superg »

Bonus Lizard wrote:After getting a bumper for my gscartsw_lite from Laser Bear, I discovered that the holes in the upper plexi are slightly misaligned. This causes it to sit above the SCART inputs instead of lying flush with them, and one of the screws was even bent as a result. Would it be possible for me to get a replacement for the upper plexi? Thanks in advance.
First time I hear this, what exactly is misaligned? All panels are precisely laser cut. Sometimes you have to fiddle with the SCART connectors a bit to get all of them inside the plexi openings. I have some spare panels but they are all the same. If you bent something installing the bumper case maybe you didn't do it right.
PersianImm0rtal

Post by PersianImm0rtal »

Just placed my order! Can't wait to get this to retire my Bandridge. Thanks for all you do superg!
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

@superg

Hello, if I daisy chain this switch I have - GSCARTSW v5.2 2019 - Automatic 8-Input RGB SCART SWITCH GSCART to this gscart (the one that does not have VGA) I am wanting to buy on Ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/GSCARTSW-Autom ... 7e11e090e0

Will I have any issues with compatibility? Will there be any sync issues, loss of image/sound quality, or anything else that I need to know at all? I am planning on daisy chaining to a PVM-20M2U if that matters. Thanks!
superg

Post by superg »

teerazzler wrote:@superg

Hello, if I daisy chain this switch I have - GSCARTSW v5.2 2019 - Automatic 8-Input RGB SCART SWITCH GSCART to this gscart (the one that does not have VGA) I am wanting to buy on Ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/GSCARTSW-Autom ... 7e11e090e0

Will I have any issues with compatibility? Will there be any sync issues, loss of image/sound quality, or anything else that I need to know at all? I am planning on daisy chaining to a PVM-20M2U if that matters. Thanks!
In general it should be fine. There might be some minor issues if you use a lot of sync clean circuits in your cables etc.
I know a lot of users daisy chain different gscartsw versions without problem.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Awesome! Thank you for the fast reply. My scart cables are 75% bought from retroUK cables, not sure what you mean by clean circuit cables, but hopefully the ones I have won’t cause any problems? Shrug emoji
superg

Post by superg »

teerazzler wrote:Awesome! Thank you for the fast reply. My scart cables are 75% bought from retroUK cables, not sure what you mean by clean circuit cables, but hopefully the ones I have won’t cause any problems? Shrug emoji
They integrate them in cable SCART connector for the consoles where it doesn't provide CSYNC (PS1 for example).
I wouldn't focus too much on this though, mostly it just works but if you have an issue, there usually is a way to figure that out.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Cool, I will go ahead and get that gscart off Ebay and then if there are any issues I will reach out to you here. Appreciate the fast replies! :)
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

superg wrote:
teerazzler wrote:Awesome! Thank you for the fast reply. My scart cables are 75% bought from retroUK cables, not sure what you mean by clean circuit cables, but hopefully the ones I have won’t cause any problems? Shrug emoji
They integrate them in cable SCART connector for the consoles where it doesn't provide CSYNC (PS1 for example).
I wouldn't focus too much on this though, mostly it just works but if you have an issue, there usually is a way to figure that out.
One last quick question, if I use the Retrotink comp2rgb adapter and plug in the official Gamecube component cable into the Retrotink, then use a male to male cable with one end going into the retrotink, the other into the gscart I have, should that work with no issues? I read a few posts on this forum about it but I couldn't get a solid answer. This will determine if I spend hundreds on this, so I hope you can clarify. Thanks! :)
superg

Post by superg »

teerazzler wrote: One last quick question, if I use the Retrotink comp2rgb adapter and plug in the official Gamecube component cable into the Retrotink, then use a male to male cable with one end going into the retrotink, the other into the gscart I have, should that work with no issues? I read a few posts on this forum about it but I couldn't get a solid answer. This will determine if I spend hundreds on this, so I hope you can clarify. Thanks! :)
Most likely it will work but in general you don't want to increase the cable length much and add additional processing so it's better to get some gcvideo based solution which gives you progressive RGBS directly from GC digital port.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

superg wrote:
teerazzler wrote: One last quick question, if I use the Retrotink comp2rgb adapter and plug in the official Gamecube component cable into the Retrotink, then use a male to male cable with one end going into the retrotink, the other into the gscart I have, should that work with no issues? I read a few posts on this forum about it but I couldn't get a solid answer. This will determine if I spend hundreds on this, so I hope you can clarify. Thanks! :)
Most likely it will work but in general you don't want to increase the cable length much and add additional processing so it's better to get some gcvideo based solution which gives you progressive RGBS directly from GC digital port.
Ah, well my intent here is so all of my component consoles are plugged into the gscart (basically just want every console I own plugged into the gscart) so I can just turn on and play, not have to switch over to s-video or the component line. I hope that it works with no issues!
mcole24

Post by mcole24 »

Hello, I own a gcompsw already, but I'm hoping to get some advice about setup issues. I have multiple composite and component systems connected, and so am obviously having to use both outputs on the gcompsw since my understanding is that there is no way for a component cable to carry a composite signal. The reason I am using a gcompsw is so I can fully automate input switching and hide all my AV stuff behind my TV.

I am really just trying to find a way to make that fully automated setup work. If my current setup won't do it, then I'm open to other suggestions, ideally still using the gcompsw because I like this product.

I have my composite output going into a Koryuu transcoder, which transcodes it to component and connects to the component input on the OSSC. For the component output of the gcompsw, I have it connected to the RetroTink COMP2RGB, which converts to SCART and connects to OSSC SCART input. I have input autodetection enabled for OSSC.

The problem is that the Koryuu seems to ALWAYS be outputting a signal, even when it's not receiving one from gcompsw. I realize that all I have to do is press a button on the OSSC remote to switch, and that seems really trivial, but the idea of a fully automated setup is just something that really appeals to me, so I'm trying to overcome this last hurdle.

One possibility that I have thought about was getting a second gcompsw. I can connect composite systems to the second gcompsw, run that composite output through the Koryuu transcoder, and then connect that to the first gcompsw. However, I am wondering if that might not cause the same issue I'm experiencing with the OSSC. In other words, if the Koryuu is always on, would that cause the first gcompsw to think it's always getting an input and cause issues switching?

Here is a diagram of my setup.

MJR

Post by MJR »

superg wrote:
MJR wrote: I just realized the same thing - I can't get picture out from my c128D; and I was using s-video/scart adapter.

But I was left confused by what you mean by "taking CVBS from one of the gscart outputs"? Did you mean that I should put this into the other output, switch the mode to "out", then plug the RCA cables into television? While still using the same Scart cable I've been using with my c64/128 with previous scart switches?
Yes, that will work. You can also utilize two outputs at the same time, one using SCART->SCART cable for your RGB sources and the other RCA one for composite only sources. You will still have to use a TV remote to switch between SCART and composite mode though.
You can even forward S-Video this way with adapters.
I finally received the scart <> RCA converter with direction switch, but what happened was that it simply blew the image in overblown grey (see pic). I have no idea what is going on. I am using the rca sockets on front of my Sony Trinitron KV-21LT1U meant for DV camcorders - there are no "real" dedicated RCA inputs in that model there so I wonder if that means that there is no way to connect C64/C128D through gscartsw into trinitron? In that case I can still use the aerial cable, it just looks like the upper image.

superg

Post by superg »

MJR wrote: I finally received the scart <> RCA converter with direction switch, but what happened was that it simply blew the image in overblown grey (see pic). I have no idea what is going on. I am using the rca sockets on front of my Sony Trinitron KV-21LT1U meant for DV camcorders - there are no "real" dedicated RCA inputs in that model there so I wonder if that means that there is no way to connect C64/C128D through gscartsw into trinitron? In that case I can still use the aerial cable, it just looks like the upper image.
Passive SCART->RCA adapters usually don't have any active components inside so maybe something else is wrong here.
Let's make sure I understand what you're doing.
So you have a Commodore 128 with composite RCA output (yellow connector).
When you connect it directly (excluding gscartsw) to your TV front RCA yellow socket, is it all good?
Now, when you connect the same c128 yellow connector to the switch, how do you do it? Are you using the same RCA->SCART adapter in input mode?
MJR

Post by MJR »

superg wrote:
MJR wrote: I finally received the scart <> RCA converter with direction switch, but what happened was that it simply blew the image in overblown grey (see pic). I have no idea what is going on. I am using the rca sockets on front of my Sony Trinitron KV-21LT1U meant for DV camcorders - there are no "real" dedicated RCA inputs in that model there so I wonder if that means that there is no way to connect C64/C128D through gscartsw into trinitron? In that case I can still use the aerial cable, it just looks like the upper image.
Passive SCART->RCA adapters usually don't have any active components inside so maybe something else is wrong here.
Let's make sure I understand what you're doing.
So you have a Commodore 128 with composite RCA output (yellow connector).
When you connect it directly (excluding gscartsw) to your TV front RCA yellow socket, is it all good?
Now, when you connect the same c128 yellow connector to the switch, how do you do it? Are you using the same RCA->SCART adapter in input mode?
Thanks for the quick reply.
C128D goes into gscartw with SCART cable, which I assume has to be S-video.
From the gscartw I use the 2nd output with SCART<>RCA connector in output mode, and I use the yellow connector (in tv front). This gives grey image. Black connector/audio works ok as expected.
superg

Post by superg »

MJR wrote: C128D goes into gscartw with SCART cable, which I assume has to be S-video.
From the gscartw I use the 2nd output with SCART<>RCA connector in output mode, and I use the yellow connector (in tv front). This gives grey image. Black connector/audio works ok as expected.
So that's pretty much explains it. You're sending S-Video signal on input but trying to get composite signal on output. The switch doesn't transcode the signal, I mentioned this before - no conversions between composite<->component<->s-video<->RGBS. In order to get composite signal working on your TV, you have to supply composite signal on input.