gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
xlom3000

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by xlom3000 »

Got mine today as well. Ports are a little tight (it actually broke the gold shell off one my hd retrovision cables, but I'm assuming it was a faulty cable as none of the other cables have had issues).

I am however getting a flickering issue on my CRT when I'm holding reset on my snes to go back to the sd2snes menu. I'm not sure if it's a symptom of the gcomp trying to change to a different port (I have 4 things plugged in atm, snes, psx, genesis and pc-engine, and 2 outputs, one to my crt and one to my ossc).

Here's a video of what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp-Df-Y_PEs

I just want to make sure I'm not hurting things when reseting my snes.
kousaka

Post by kousaka »

Got my gcompsw today and setup! Did a quick initial autodetection test and looks good so far.

Will be doing more extensive tests over the weekend.

I did find the plugs to be a bit tight. But after plugging/unplugging a few times it seems to be loosening up so might just need some breaking in. Just be careful when you first plug things in.

samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

What kind of Bizzaro mirror world has this become that I can order a gcompsw and have it show up on my door two days later? Almost gave me whiplash.
superg

Post by superg »

xlom3000 wrote:Got mine today as well. Ports are a little tight (it actually broke the gold shell off one my hd retrovision cables, but I'm assuming it was a faulty cable as none of the other cables have had issues).

I am however getting a flickering issue on my CRT when I'm holding reset on my snes to go back to the sd2snes menu. I'm not sure if it's a symptom of the gcomp trying to change to a different port (I have 4 things plugged in atm, snes, psx, genesis and pc-engine, and 2 outputs, one to my crt and one to my ossc).

Here's a video of what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp-Df-Y_PEs

I just want to make sure I'm not hurting things when reseting my snes.
Just checked the video. Looks like CRT can't lock up on a sync during SNES reboot. I'd say nothing to worry about, you're not hurting anything.
Ports are the same as the ones I used for gcompsw 4:1 (but shorter). Here I tested every switch with hdretrovision component cable and hdretrovision testing software, cable is still fine ;).
samson7point1 wrote:What kind of Bizzaro mirror world has this become that I can order a gcompsw and have it show up on my door two days later? Almost gave me whiplash.
Yeah, that was inevitable at some point.
(it looks like I will also have some gscartsw's in stock :))
samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

Out of curiosity could I use the gcompsw to switch S-Video if I broke Y and C into separate RCA plugs then plugged Y into Y (green) and C into either Pb or Pr as long as I did the same on the output side?
snowekim

Post by snowekim »

@Superg any chances you will have more gcompsw1.1 (4 inputs) version in stock again? I'm interested but new version has more inputs than what i need.
superg

Post by superg »

samson7point1 wrote:Out of curiosity could I use the gcompsw to switch S-Video if I broke Y and C into separate RCA plugs then plugged Y into Y (green) and C into either Pb or Pr as long as I did the same on the output side?
Yes, it will work just fine.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Would it be possible to connect the Gscartsw directly to a Extron RGB-164Xi with a Scart to VGA cable without a Sync Strike? I want to connect my Sony PVM to the Extron so I can use horizontal centering on the Extron.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

H6rdc0re wrote:Would it be possible to connect the Gscartsw directly to a Extron RGB-164Xi with a Scart to VGA cable without a Sync Strike? I want to connect my Sony PVM to the Extron so I can use horizontal centering on the Extron.
I think that should work. I don't have an Extron RGB-164Xi. But I have other Extron devices that accept the gscartsw output without complaint.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
superg

Post by superg »

snowekim wrote:@Superg any chances you will have more gcompsw1.1 (4 inputs) version in stock again? I'm interested but new version has more inputs than what i need.
No, that version is discontinued. 8:2 is a full rework and the only version I will be manufacturing.
Volcanon

Post by Volcanon »

Hi there, I just got my 8:2 gcompsw and it is great!

I have more consoles than ports, so I connected some of the more recent consoles to an HDMI switch which I am then connecting to an HDMI to YPbPr converter. One of the issues with this setup is that since the converter is powered, there is always a signal coming from it so the gcompsw, which gives it priority in regards to the automatic switching. Is there a converter that would work with the switch that would not cause this issue? If not I can just connect those consoles to a different switch. I just want to avoid having to use a separate inferior component video switch if I can avoid it. My TV is a CRT so connecting directly via HDMI is not an option. Thanks!
superg

Post by superg »

Volcanon wrote:Hi there, I just got my 8:2 gcompsw and it is great!

I have more consoles than ports, so I connected some of the more recent consoles to an HDMI switch which I am then connecting to an HDMI to YPbPr converter. One of the issues with this setup is that since the converter is powered, there is always a signal coming from it so the gcompsw, which gives it priority in regards to the automatic switching. Is there a converter that would work with the switch that would not cause this issue? If not I can just connect those consoles to a different switch. I just want to avoid having to use a separate inferior component video switch if I can avoid it. My TV is a CRT so connecting directly via HDMI is not an option. Thanks!
I'd say that this is unusual for the converter to output something when no input is available. It has to generate the signal and choose some resolution. What does it display, black screen or some menu?
I don't see a solution for this on a switch level as it locks on a found input and stays there until it's active.
superg

Post by superg »

gscartsw testing / assembly is going very well. I will be assembling everything this week and shipping labels will be printed on Sunday. Chances are that I will drop off every gscartsw order on Monday.
Volcanon

Post by Volcanon »

superg wrote:
Volcanon wrote:Hi there, I just got my 8:2 gcompsw and it is great!

I'd say that this is unusual for the converter to output something when no input is available. It has to generate the signal and choose some resolution. What does it display, black screen or some menu?
I don't see a solution for this on a switch level as it locks on a found input and stays there until it's active.
Ah yeah, when no device is turned on, the converter still outputs a signal and there is a colored bar image on the screen (I think it is the OSD), so I am probably out of luck when using that converter. I am just going to connect my HDMI devices to an AV receiver instead, so this won't be an issue for me any longer. Thank you!
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

H6rdc0re wrote:Would it be possible to connect the Gscartsw directly to a Extron RGB-164Xi with a Scart to VGA cable without a Sync Strike? I want to connect my Sony PVM to the Extron so I can use horizontal centering on the Extron.
@SuperG: Any thoughts? Shouldn't the sync regeneration of the Gscartsw give the Extron a clean Csync signal?
MegaMan

Post by MegaMan »

superg wrote:gscartsw testing / assembly is going very well. I will be assembling everything this week and shipping labels will be printed on Sunday. Chances are that I will drop off every gscartsw order on Monday.
Very excited to hear this... :D
KonradKlaus

Post by KonradKlaus »

I got my gcompsw yesterday, finally opened it today. Thanks SuperG... man it is one sexy piece of kit. My wife did not understand... Can't wait to try it out (although I know it will be just as awesome as the gscartsw I purchased from you a year ago.) Thank you!
LapinBeau

Post by LapinBeau »

Still haven't received my comp switch yet.

Guess it takes a little longer to ship to Canada.
superg

Post by superg »

H6rdc0re wrote:
@SuperG: Any thoughts? Shouldn't the sync regeneration of the Gscartsw give the Extron a clean Csync signal?
Extron devices are out of my expertise. gscartsw can clean sync but people had issues with some Extron device. Read this topic backwards, there was a discussion on centering using Extron.
Lux

Post by Lux »

French customs have my gcompsw since Friday. Unusual but let's see how it evolves.
r3ddvil

Post by r3ddvil »

Hi,

I received my Gcompsw 8x2 yesterday, thanks! build quality is very nice.

Having said that, my setup has unveiled an issue and wondering if you have any ideas on a possible solution/work around.

I run a 24x7 media/file server that doubles as my mame/retro emulation box using an active RGB to component trans-coder outputting 240p over component. What I have noticed is the switch will not change to other inputs when activated (such as my Wii or PS 2) unless I unplug the PC inputs. Is there a manual switch/override or a way to have the device switch on new input signals if an existing signal is active?

Thanks
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

r3ddvil wrote:I run a 24x7 media/file server that doubles as my mame/retro emulation box using an active RGB to component trans-coder outputting 240p over component. What I have noticed is the switch will not change to other inputs when activated (such as my Wii or PS 2) unless I unplug the PC inputs. Is there a manual switch/override or a way to have the device switch on new input signals if an existing signal is active?
If this and this are still true, then the short answer is no, not as-is.

One of those linked posts states that the switching logic of the 4:1 is just whichever port is first detected to have sync, and the other post states that the 8:2 model shares the same switching logic as the 4:1 model; so, since your PC is always on and, ostensibly, always outputting to its component output, then, once the gcompsw gets a hold of that signal, it won't switch to anything else until that PC signal is disabled or disconnected. You could try enabling the monitor sleep option on that box, set it to 5 or 10 minutes or something; if it works, you'll still have to wait that amount of time for it to shut off before you'll be able to use other devices.
superg

Post by superg »

r3ddvil wrote:Hi,

I received my Gcompsw 8x2 yesterday, thanks! build quality is very nice.

Having said that, my setup has unveiled an issue and wondering if you have any ideas on a possible solution/work around.

I run a 24x7 media/file server that doubles as my mame/retro emulation box using an active RGB to component trans-coder outputting 240p over component. What I have noticed is the switch will not change to other inputs when activated (such as my Wii or PS 2) unless I unplug the PC inputs. Is there a manual switch/override or a way to have the device switch on new input signals if an existing signal is active?

Thanks
If your transcoder always outputs signal (it looks like it does), this is an issue. Read couple of posts back, we talked about hdmi to component transcoder with the similar problem. I don't see a way to workaround this except unplugging the input (because obviously you cannot shut down your 24/7 PC :)).
superg

Post by superg »

nmalinoski wrote:
r3ddvil wrote:I run a 24x7 media/file server that doubles as my mame/retro emulation box using an active RGB to component trans-coder outputting 240p over component. What I have noticed is the switch will not change to other inputs when activated (such as my Wii or PS 2) unless I unplug the PC inputs. Is there a manual switch/override or a way to have the device switch on new input signals if an existing signal is active?
If this and this are still true, then the short answer is no, not as-is.

One of those linked posts states that the switching logic of the 4:1 is just whichever port is first detected to have sync, and the other post states that the 8:2 model shares the same switching logic as the 4:1 model; so, since your PC is always on and, ostensibly, always outputting to its component output, then, once the gcompsw gets a hold of that signal, it won't switch to anything else until that PC signal is disabled or disconnected. You could try enabling the monitor sleep option on that box, set it to 5 or 10 minutes or something; if it works, you'll still have to wait that amount of time for it to shut off before you'll be able to use other devices.
Exactly, well explained!
r3ddvil

Post by r3ddvil »

Thanks for the prompt replies.

The 8x2 replaced my 3x1 generic manual component switch, I wonder if I could use it as an on/off switch between the transcoder and the 8x2 - any thoughts on video degradation? Could a KVM also be a possible work around to disable the video signal without having to disconnect any wiring?

Appreciate your feedback.
superg

Post by superg »

r3ddvil wrote:Thanks for the prompt replies.

The 8x2 replaced my 3x1 generic manual component switch, I wonder if I could use it as an on/off switch between the transcoder and the 8x2 - any thoughts on video degradation? Could a KVM also be a possible work around to disable the video signal without having to disconnect any wiring?

There shouldn't be any video degradation, what would be enough is to cut off Y (Green RCA), if you can come up with mechanical ON-OFF switch in some form, that would be great.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

superg wrote:
H6rdc0re wrote:
Extron devices are out of my expertise. gscartsw can clean sync but people had issues with some Extron device. Read this topic backwards, there was a discussion on centering using Extron.
No problem and the Goat also answered. I'll do some additional googling. :)
r3ddvil

Post by r3ddvil »

superg wrote:

There shouldn't be any video degradation, what would be enough is to cut off Y (Green RCA), if you can come up with mechanical ON-OFF switch in some form, that would be great.

Thanks! Ill look into that.
r3ddvil

Post by r3ddvil »

superg wrote:

https://www.amazon.ca/Fosmon-Technology ... way&sr=8-3

What about something like this for just the Y/Green piped through the yellow video connector. Does the fact that its composite designed affect the signal transmission (I assume no since there's no processing).

In theory of coarse, since I don't expect you have tested this piece of hardware or setup.
superg

Post by superg »

r3ddvil wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/Fosmon-Technology ... way&sr=8-3

What about something like this for just the Y/Green piped through the yellow video connector. Does the fact that its composite designed affect the signal transmission (I assume no since there's no processing).

In theory of coarse, since I don't expect you have tested this piece of hardware or setup.
I think this is pure mechanical switch, should work but it's overkill I'd say. I would take two RCA connectors, one male and one female and solder 1 pos switch in between.