gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

LXXero wrote: First question, for the bumper cases that Greg makes, does the 5.2 version work correctly with the latest 5.3 revision? I understand that it's surface vs thru-hole mount on the microusb connector, I just wanted to make sure there isn't any difference in positioning that would cause issues.
I was able to fit a few of my bumper cases to v5.3 just fine, the connector is placed at the same spot so I guess it's the same. It's a bit tricky to fit in the PCB the first time because it's a bit tight but once you done that it's all good.
LXXero wrote: Second, most of my stuff is RGB with csync, but I have an AV-Out modded gameboy advance that only outputs composite. I was thinking I could use one of those cheap SCART composite+audio adapters, and plug that into one of the inputs, and then use my PVM's passthru output for the sync jack, and run it into a composite input jack, and simply switch the PVM to that composite input when I'm using the AV-out mod? It's my understanding that as long as the sync regeneration DIP is turned off, the composite video should pass through the switch correctly (and thus pass through my pvm's "thru" ports to a composite input), but I wanted to confirm so I can get all the right pieces ordered.
I don't quite understand this part: "and then use my PVM's passthru output for the sync jack, and run it into a composite input jack"
Two configurations are possible:
1. You will need two SCART RCA adapters, one in input configuration, the other one in output configuration. You connect your GBA using input SCART RCA to one of the gscartsw inputs and you connect the other output SCART rca to one of the free gscartsw outputs. Then you run RCA wires from output adapter to the same PVM but to separate composite sync jack (this is important), if your PVM/BVM has an extension board. You cannot combine two composite outputs to one PVM connector directly or indirectly as they will compete.
2. Same as (1) but you don't use output SCART RCA adapter and just push buttons on your PVM to switch to composite video when you want to play your GBA.
LXXero

Post by LXXero »

superg wrote:
LXXero wrote: First question, for the bumper cases that Greg makes, does the 5.2 version work correctly with the latest 5.3 revision? I understand that it's surface vs thru-hole mount on the microusb connector, I just wanted to make sure there isn't any difference in positioning that would cause issues.
I was able to fit a few of my bumper cases to v5.3 just fine, the connector is placed at the same spot so I guess it's the same. It's a bit tricky to fit in the PCB the first time because it's a bit tight but once you done that it's all good.
Perfect, I'll order one then.
superg wrote:
LXXero wrote: Second, most of my stuff is RGB with csync, but I have an AV-Out modded gameboy advance that only outputs composite. I was thinking I could use one of those cheap SCART composite+audio adapters, and plug that into one of the inputs, and then use my PVM's passthru output for the sync jack, and run it into a composite input jack, and simply switch the PVM to that composite input when I'm using the AV-out mod? It's my understanding that as long as the sync regeneration DIP is turned off, the composite video should pass through the switch correctly (and thus pass through my pvm's "thru" ports to a composite input), but I wanted to confirm so I can get all the right pieces ordered.
I don't quite understand this part: "and then use my PVM's passthru output for the sync jack, and run it into a composite input jack"
OK so I'm trying to be a little fancy here and avoid the second SCART adapter. You know how each jack on a PVM has both an "in" and an "out" which passes through the input? At least on mine it does - you can pass through the signal to something else. Since composite video and csync share the same pin on SCART, I was thinking I could loop the "out" from the sync, back to another composite input's "in" and avoid having to waste my 2nd SCART output on the switch. Not sure if anyone has done this before, or if I'm just being too fancy for my own good.
superg wrote: Two configurations are possible:
1. You will need two SCART RCA adapters, one in input configuration, the other one in output configuration. You connect your GBA using input SCART RCA to one of the gscartsw inputs and you connect the other output SCART rca to one of the free gscartsw outputs. Then you run RCA wires from output adapter to the same PVM but to separate composite sync jack (this is important), if your PVM/BVM has an extension board. You cannot combine two composite outputs to one PVM connector directly or indirectly as they will compete.
This is what i was originally thinking - two SCART RCA adapters, one in, one out, and the output would be connected to another input. My PVM-20L5 does actually have an expansion board, but there's more than enough stock inputs - i think there's one composite, one composite/svideo, and one RGB/Comp then another RGB/Comp on the expansion board. I'm basically just trying to be fancy and not have to use the 2nd SCART adapter by re-using the "out" from the PVM to pass the sync back to itself on another input, since that same sync would be carrying composite? Correct me if i'm wrong anyway.
superg wrote: 2. Same as (1) but you don't use output SCART RCA adapter and just push buttons on your PVM to switch to composite video when you want to play your GBA.
I've got enough free inputs that I can probably avoid this, and just have a dedicated composite input.

Edit: I just realized I can test this now with my existing bandridge switch. It's got composite input on the one input....and....it works! So I guess I'm all set!
superg

Post by superg »

LXXero wrote: OK so I'm trying to be a little fancy here and avoid the second SCART adapter. You know how each jack on a PVM has both an "in" and an "out" which passes through the input? At least on mine it does - you can pass through the signal to something else. Since composite video and csync share the same pin on SCART, I was thinking I could loop the "out" from the sync, back to another composite input's "in" and avoid having to waste my 2nd SCART output on the switch. Not sure if anyone has done this before, or if I'm just being too fancy for my own good.
Got it now! If it works it's good but that was more of a PVM question so I'm not 100% sure :)
ShoothimNow

Post by ShoothimNow »

Hey there, any plans to possibly change the power outlet to USB-C?
superg

Post by superg »

ShoothimNow wrote:Hey there, any plans to possibly change the power outlet to USB-C?
No plans for that. MicroUSB is more compact and I actually considered Type C connectors before but they are mostly surface mounted or have tiny legs which are too short for standard 1.6mm PCB.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Does the gscartsw-lite have more noise than the SCA101 by Axun, which can switch between JP21 and Scart?

https://www.axunworks.com/product-p931.html
superg

Post by superg »

Odolwa wrote:Does the gscartsw-lite have more noise than the SCA101 by Axun, which can switch between JP21 and Scart?

https://www.axunworks.com/product-p931.html
Depends on a switching implementation. So far gscartsw has beaten everything else when it comes to picture quality if we are talking about digital switching.
Mechanical switching might be a miniscule "better" but you probably won't notice that.
DemoNight

Post by DemoNight »

Quick question, I have a few year old gscartsw_lite that has served me well. This model was advertised with "Sync regeneration". Does that mean it converts everything to C Sync? I recently RGB modded my CRT and stuff with sync on luma (PS1 and 2, stock N64) doesn't work with how I have it wired. I'm sure there is a way to fix it on the mod end but I'm in way over my head just getting the mod to work in the first place. I know I can buy new RGB scart cables that convert sync but if my switch can already do it I can save some money. Thanks
superg

Post by superg »

DemoNight wrote:Quick question, I have a few year old gscartsw_lite that has served me well. This model was advertised with "Sync regeneration". Does that mean it converts everything to C Sync? I recently RGB modded my CRT and stuff with sync on luma (PS1 and 2, stock N64) doesn't work with how I have it wired. I'm sure there is a way to fix it on the mod end but I'm in way over my head just getting the mod to work in the first place. I know I can buy new RGB scart cables that convert sync but if my switch can already do it I can save some money. Thanks
gscartsw_lite unit has integrated sync cleaner, try CS/OFF toggle if that helps. But in general your TV RGB mod is most likely not good.
EDIT: gscartsw_lite wasn't advertised with sync regeneration, maybe yours is gscartsw v5.2+? If so, use DIP 1 toggle instead.
DemoNight

Post by DemoNight »

superg wrote:
DemoNight wrote:Quick question, I have a few year old gscartsw_lite that has served me well. This model was advertised with "Sync regeneration". Does that mean it converts everything to C Sync? I recently RGB modded my CRT and stuff with sync on luma (PS1 and 2, stock N64) doesn't work with how I have it wired. I'm sure there is a way to fix it on the mod end but I'm in way over my head just getting the mod to work in the first place. I know I can buy new RGB scart cables that convert sync but if my switch can already do it I can save some money. Thanks
gscartsw_lite unit has integrated sync cleaner, try CS/OFF toggle if that helps. But in general your TV RGB mod is most likely not good.
EDIT: gscartsw_lite wasn't advertised with sync regeneration, maybe yours is gscartsw v5.2+? If so, use DIP 1 toggle instead.

I'm sure my RGB mod is not very good, I have very little idea what i'm doing but the picture quality is great! Just some sync issues with anything that is not C Sync. I have a gscartsw_lite 1.5, at http://www.gretrostuff.com/store/pre-or ... rtsw_lite/, if you look at bullet point 6 it advertises Sync regeneration (ON/OFF switch). Now it seems like the sync regeneration does not do want I want it to do so its a moot point anyways but it is clearly advertised as having sync regeneration. Does the current gscartsw have a Sync Stripper? As in convert a luma sync source to C sync?

EDIT - Never mind, i'm an idiot, I was testing luma sync with a NTSC N64 that hasn't been RGB modded yet. I didn't know N64 RGB scart cables only work after being RGB modded. When I tested with a luma sync ps1 cable it worked fine.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

Why not make a Gcompsw that has S-Video support? The RadioShack component switchers have S-Video support.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Odolwa wrote:Why not make a Gcompsw that has S-Video support? The RadioShack component switchers have S-Video support.
It does support it I think, you just need some of these
https://www.svideo.com/svideo2rca.html

But that’s probably overkill to buy a gcompsw just for s-video, unless no other automatic switching s-video solution exists out there.

If the RadioShack does what you want, why not use one ?
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

Is the Sega Dreamcast PACKAPUNCH RGB 480p SCART cable compatible with the gscartsw in 480p mode? I have one scart outlett to the Retrotink 5x Pro and the other one going to a B&O MX8000. I'm asking if the switch will pas trough the 408p signal to the Retrotink.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... -480P-MODE

EDIT: Looks to be good

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/Seg ... 80p-switch

"Tests were carried out using different resolutions with the DC BIOS and Shenmue game. The signal is very stable, both on 15k (576i 50Hz resolution passed through OSSC, then to DVDO) and on 31k (480p 60Hz always with OSSC and DVDO).

The console was ran for a long period of time and sync drop outs never occurred, it's always very stable and CSYNC is of course correctly attenuated. This has also successfully been tested through a GSCARTsw and the auto sync detection works fine. Big thanks to zeruel85 for all the help so far!"
superg

Post by superg »

Balleratt wrote:Is the Sega Dreamcast PACKAPUNCH RGB 480p SCART cable compatible with the gscartsw in 480p mode? I have one scart outlett to the Retrotink 5x Pro and the other one going to a B&O MX8000. I'm asking if the switch will pas trough the 408p signal to the Retrotink.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... -480P-MODE

EDIT: Looks to be good

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/Seg ... 80p-switch

"Tests were carried out using different resolutions with the DC BIOS and Shenmue game. The signal is very stable, both on 15k (576i 50Hz resolution passed through OSSC, then to DVDO) and on 31k (480p 60Hz always with OSSC and DVDO).

The console was ran for a long period of time and sync drop outs never occurred, it's always very stable and CSYNC is of course correctly attenuated. This has also successfully been tested through a GSCARTsw and the auto sync detection works fine. Big thanks to zeruel85 for all the help so far!"
Yeah, Dreamcast VGA signal was tested before using Hanzo? and Arcade Forge.
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

Very nice! Still loving the gscartsw <3
Abakag

Post by Abakag »

Hi!
I have a issue with my gscartsw and my new crt. The problem is that after about a minute and a half the picture on my crt becomes very, very grainy and the pictures starts flickering a bit. It starts out just fine and then successively becomes terrible.
The thing is that the gscartsw works perfectly fine on my PVM, my other crt and to my OSSC. It's just my new crt that it doesn't like.

I have tried different cables and also unhooking everything from the gscartsw except the output to the crt, and also tried turning everthing off on the DIP. And even though nothing except the output is connected the same thing happens. If I connect whatever console directly to the crt, the picture is just fine.

The crt with the issues is Philips 21pt1820/01.

Anyone knows what's up or have any ideas?
superg

Post by superg »

Abakag wrote: The crt with the issues is Philips 21pt1820/01.

Interesting, is this TV RGB modded or it includes SCART-RGB input in stock?
Abakag

Post by Abakag »

superg wrote:

It's stock RGB and all of my rgb modded consoles, or that have rgb native, with rgb scart cables works perfectly connected directly to the crt

I did some trail and error with a scart cable trying to figure out if some pin was the issue. The only thing i could find out was that pin 16, the blanking signal, is the pin causing the noise. With the pin terrible noise, without the pin no picture but a smooth black ext. screen and no noise on the crt, but i don't know what's causality or correlation.
superg

Post by superg »

Abakag wrote:
superg wrote:

It's stock RGB and all of my rgb modded consoles, or that have rgb native, with rgb scart cables works perfectly connected directly to the crt

I did some trail and error with a scart cable trying to figure out if some pin was the issue. The only thing i could find out was that pin 16, the blanking signal, is the pin causing the noise. With the pin terrible noise, without the pin no picture but a smooth black ext. screen and no noise on the crt, but i don't know what's causality or correlation.
Pin 16 instructs your TV to enter RGB mode. If you disconnect it, your TV will take sync from composite and as there is none you see a black screen.
Your TV doesn't like sync from gscartsw but I am puzzled why as it should be the same as on the input if DIP 1 is off.
Abakag

Post by Abakag »

Your TV doesn't like sync from gscartsw but I am puzzled why as it should be the same as on the input if DIP 1 is off.
Well, it is what it is then i guess.
Thanks for the help anyway :)
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

parodius wrote:
Odolwa wrote:Why not make a Gcompsw that has S-Video support? The RadioShack component switchers have S-Video support.
It does support it I think, you just need some of these
https://www.svideo.com/svideo2rca.html

But that’s probably overkill to buy a gcompsw just for s-video, unless no other automatic switching s-video solution exists out there.

If the RadioShack does what you want, why not use one ?
Are you sure that’s the right adapter? Isn’t that one all male? Shouldn’t it be S-Video female to RCA male? Also, why should you have to use an adapter, when the switch itself could have S-Video support right on it? Plus, Gcompsw is better than the Radio Shack ones.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Your video source has a female connector, right ?
Your display also has a female connector.
Just plug this cable s-vid male connector to it, and the RCA connectors to the gcompsw.

Yeah well gcompsw was designed as a component switch, hence the name.
Having it *also* support s-video via additional s-vid connectors would increase the cost for everyone, even for people who don't need s-video.
It turns out we're lucky enough that a simple optional adapter like the one I pointed to, allows us to use it for s-video as well.

Here you are, these are the options available to you right now.
This or a dedicated s-vid switch like the RadioShack one.
nonosto

Post by nonosto »

hello @superg, do you have in stock one gcompsw_old with 4 input and 1 output. The 8:1 it's oversized (I need to connect one PS3 and XBOX original). Any lag?
THX
parodius

Post by parodius »

No lag, it’s not a video processor
superg

Post by superg »

nonosto wrote:hello @superg, do you have in stock one gcompsw_old with 4 input and 1 output. The 8:1 it's oversized (I need to connect one PS3 and XBOX original). Any lag?
THX
Hi, no unfortunately. Old 4:1 gcompsw is obsolete for the last 4 years.
nonosto

Post by nonosto »

THX all, any chance about restock?
superg

Post by superg »

nonosto wrote:THX all, any chance about restock?
They are distributed by CastleMania Games, after multiple frustrations I had I don't sell them directly anymore.
nonosto

Post by nonosto »

I understand, in case if you can made one I can do a prepayment by paypal. Or one used. 8/1 it's really oversized.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nonosto wrote:I understand, in case if you can made one I can do a prepayment by paypal. Or one used. 8/1 it's really oversized.
HE DOESN'T SELL THE SWITCHES ANYMORE !

Sorry to yell, you weren't getting it. Check the For Sale or Wanted sections here on Shmups, or there's always Ebay.
nonosto

Post by nonosto »

on ebay it's seems unvallable, and waiting maybe one on Wanted sections here.