gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
comp1demon

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by comp1demon »

MY order was on Launch day at 8:00pm on the nose. I ordered the MOMENT the window opened and I was still not one of the first 5 people. Even with my Browser auto refreshing the order window ever 1/2 second and getting on the page change the moment it happened and auto filling my info in, using paypal which was alrady saved in my browser, my order was not even in the top 10. Then I ordered again for a second switch and SuperG told me my two orders were seperated by almost 15 other others. Still both my orders were in and paid by 8:01PM on launch day and I just got my GSCART today.

Thank you superG.. great product as usual.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

SuperG, I have a gscartsw_lite v1.5 and with sync regeneration turned on, every time I reset my SNES the refresh rate is changing (according to my OSSC). This is also confirmed by a shimmering effect when the refresh rate is not 60.08 Hz. The refresh rate can be 59.94, 59.98, 60.05, and 60.08 Hz.

If I disable sync regeneration then I get 60.08 Hz every time and its fine.

I've pre-ordered a gscartsw v5.2 but is this a bug in v1.5, expected behavior, or can something else explain this?

My SNES is a 1CHIP-03 with Voultar's SNES 1CHIP RGB Bypass kit and Marqs SNES dejitter chip.

Thanks for any help!
superg

Post by superg »

sofakng wrote:SuperG, I have a gscartsw_lite v1.5 and with sync regeneration turned on, every time I reset my SNES the refresh rate is changing (according to my OSSC). This is also confirmed by a shimmering effect when the refresh rate is not 60.08 Hz. The refresh rate can be 59.94, 59.98, 60.05, and 60.08 Hz.

If I disable sync regeneration then I get 60.08 Hz every time and its fine.

I've pre-ordered a gscartsw v5.2 but is this a bug in v1.5, expected behavior, or can something else explain this?

My SNES is a 1CHIP-03 with Voultar's SNES 1CHIP RGB Bypass kit and Marqs SNES dejitter chip.

Thanks for any help!
Few things I can think of:
1. Sync regeneration introduces a delay, in newest version the delay is tiny but it still exists.
2. On console reset there is no video for a brief moment and switch loses the signal, a few frames have to pass until it fully detects the signal again and properly calibrates the detection level (hysteresis). If OSSC detection is performed right when detection is ongoing, that can also contribute to some slight miscalculation. Sync regeneration implementation depends on mentioned detection level and if it's still initializing, it might skip a few sync pulses at start.
(2) is very easy to check by replugging OSSC SCART input (not resetting) and see if you still observe changes.
3. Sync regeneration strips everything but sync pulses. I don't know how this detection is implemented on OSSC side but if it needs something extra, it might not be available. What SNES SCART cable do you use? Is CSYNC used or composite as sync?
Here I also see slightly different refresh rates on my OSSC each time but that doesn't change anything (nor it should). My SNES mini outputs CSYNC and I have voultar S-RGB bypass board installed.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Superg, thanks for the reply.

Here are two videos that show the problem. It's a bit hard to see but hopefully you can see the wobble/shimmering:

https://youtu.be/Nl8H0XKS03E (fixed link)
https://youtu.be/BOtJjrYL6Q8

I'll try unplugging/replugging in the OSSC SCART cable after resetting the SNES to see if that helps. The cable I'm using is wired for CSYNC from RetroGamingCables (UK). The SNES is a 1CHIP-03 with native CSYNC restored. The native CSYNC is sent to the dejitter board and then to the multi-out. Voultar's board doesn't do anything with the SNES (in my setup).
Last edited by sofakng on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superg

Post by superg »

sofakng wrote:Superg, thanks for the reply.

Here are two videos that show the problem. It's a bit hard to see but hopefully you can see the wobble/shimmering:

https://youtu.be/NI8H0XKS03E
https://youtu.be/BOtJjrYL6Q8

I'll try unplugging/replugging in the OSSC SCART cable after resetting the SNES to see if that helps. The cable I'm using is wired for CSYNC from RetroGamingCables (UK). The SNES is a 1CHIP-03 with native CSYNC restored. The native CSYNC is sent to the dejitter board and then to the multi-out. Voultar's board doesn't do anything with the SNES (in my setup).
I see the wobble in the second video (first is unavailable) and it's quite significant. Something else might be interfering.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Hmmm... I'm not sure what could be interfering?

If I connect the SNES directly to the OSSC, then it's always 60.08 Hz and I can reset the console as many times as I want and it stays 60.08 Hz with no wobble.

If I connect the SNES to gscartsw and leave sync regeneration off then it's same as above. (i.e. no problems and constant 60.08 Hz)

The problem only occurs with the gscartsw and sync regeneration turned on. Another user (thebigcheese) said he has a similar problem with the sync regeneration.
superg

Post by superg »

sofakng wrote:Hmmm... I'm not sure what could be interfering?

If I connect the SNES directly to the OSSC, then it's always 60.08 Hz and I can reset the console as many times as I want and it stays 60.08 Hz with no wobble.

If I connect the SNES to gscartsw and leave sync regeneration off then it's same as above. (i.e. no problems and constant 60.08 Hz)

The problem only occurs with the gscartsw and sync regeneration turned on. Another user (thebigcheese) said he has a similar problem with the sync regeneration.
If there is a slight problem, sync regeneration will make it worse. For instance if you have a cable with integrated sync stripper (LM1881) and sync regeneration on lite is on, it will make the shift 4x times worse.
I suggest to try any different SNES and see if you see the same issue. I agree with thebigcheese that it's better to have sync regeneration off if you don't need it. It's off in my setup.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

superg wrote:It's very likely that I won't have enough units for all recent purchasers, Paypal inventory tracking is not good as they don't take into account refunds thus there is no easy way to know the exact amount other than calculating everything myself. My prediction is that orders made after February 15 will be fulfilled by the next batch which will be ordered right after I ship everything. I will announce when I reach the cap.
Please don't ask me about the specific order shipping details, I'm not going to answer.
Just wanted to clarify this.
LOL! 8 months and running and you're still talking about more delays. By now nobody should trust a word this guy says. 2 month delay for the next batch? Sure, sure. My guess? 5-6 months, minimum.
Namdor

Post by Namdor »

tusecsy wrote:
superg wrote:It's very likely that I won't have enough units for all recent purchasers, Paypal inventory tracking is not good as they don't take into account refunds thus there is no easy way to know the exact amount other than calculating everything myself. My prediction is that orders made after February 15 will be fulfilled by the next batch which will be ordered right after I ship everything. I will announce when I reach the cap.
Please don't ask me about the specific order shipping details, I'm not going to answer.
Just wanted to clarify this.
LOL! 8 months and running and you're still talking about more delays. By now nobody should trust a word this guy says. 2 month delay for the next batch? Sure, sure. My guess? 5-6 months, minimum.
Seeing as I've ordered multiple times from him with no issues I trust everything he says.
Arthrimus

Post by Arthrimus »

Got mine yesterday. Everything is working well so far.

I was wondering if anybody had a good recommendation for a high quality male to male scart lead to connect this to my OSSC. It only needs to be a couple of feet long. Right now I'm using a cheap unshielded cable and I want to eliminate that weak link from my system.
plus ça change,
plus c'est la même chose,
The more that things change,
The more they stay the same.- RUSH- Circumstances

I install and sell mods at arthrimus.com | SNES RGB Bypass+Dejitter available now! | Watch me live stream my work on YouTube
Vasid

Post by Vasid »

Arthrimus wrote:Got mine yesterday. Everything is working well so far.

I was wondering if anybody had a good recommendation for a high quality male to male scart lead to connect this to my OSSC. It only needs to be a couple of feet long. Right now I'm using a cheap unshielded cable and I want to eliminate that weak link from my system.
I recommend retro-access.com they make fantastic cables, are based in the US, and will customize the length for you, so for example in your case you can get exactly the couple of feet you need and no more. I have a ton of cables from them, they're a real wizard.
tusecsy wrote: LOL! 8 months and running and you're still talking about more delays. By now nobody should trust a word this guy says. 2 month delay for the next batch? Sure, sure. My guess? 5-6 months, minimum.
Shut up troll, no one is biting your bait. He's been shipping out units and people keep happily reporting receiving them. Not sure why your life is so pathetic you have to spend your time trolling SuperG but it's sad honestly and I think you should get some psychological counseling.
rigisme

Post by rigisme »

Made an account here to keep tabs on this, after seeing it mentioned by HD Retrovision on Twitter. Looks great.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

Vasid wrote:
Arthrimus wrote:Got mine yesterday. Everything is working well so far.

I recommend retro-access.com they make fantastic cables, are based in the US, and will customize the length for you, so for example in your case you can get exactly the couple of feet you need and no more. I have a ton of cables from them, they're a real wizard.
tusecsy wrote: LOL! 8 months and running and you're still talking about more delays. By now nobody should trust a word this guy says. 2 month delay for the next batch? Sure, sure. My guess? 5-6 months, minimum.
Shut up troll, no one is biting your bait. He's been shipping out units and people keep happily reporting receiving them. Not sure why your life is so pathetic you have to spend your time trolling SuperG but it's sad honestly and I think you should get some psychological counseling.
Unless you ordered in Feb. or after of course. I just don't like liars, and SuperG is clearly one of them. His original estimate was a couple of months remember? And do you remember when he said they would be "in stock" in March? Dudes full of it, sorry if you can't handle the truth.

By the time this is actually "in stock", there will be HDMI solutions for every system (only really ps1 & saturn need it at this point), making scart/component obsolete. Save your money for the HDMI mods folks.
Vasid

Post by Vasid »

tusecsy wrote: Unless you ordered in Feb. or after of course. I just don't like liars, and SuperG is clearly one of them. His original estimate was a couple of months remember? And do you remember when he said they would be "in stock" in March? Dudes full of it, sorry if you can't handle the truth.

By the time this is actually "in stock", there will be HDMI solutions for every system (only really ps1 & saturn need it at this point), making scart/component obsolete. Save your money for the HDMI mods folks.
Get a life, get friends, get help, get something because this is just sad. Also why am I not surprised you're an analog to digital guy?.. Enjoy that display lag low IQ.
superg

Post by superg »

2nd shipment arrived today and I've just finished testing every switch.
A lot of units are fully assembled and there will be a big shipment Monday. Expect to get tracking updates this weekend.
tusecsy

Re:

Post by tusecsy »

Vasid wrote:
tusecsy wrote: Unless you ordered in Feb. or after of course. I just don't like liars, and SuperG is clearly one of them. His original estimate was a couple of months remember? And do you remember when he said they would be "in stock" in March? Dudes full of it, sorry if you can't handle the truth.

Get a life, get friends, get help, get something because this is just sad. Also why am I not surprised you're an analog to digital guy?.. Enjoy that display lag low IQ.
I don't think you understand how things like DCHDMI, Super NT & Mega SG work.....?

You can Ad Hominem attack me all you want, fact is I guarantee your life is completely pathetic compared to mine...
superg

Post by superg »

Are there any moderators here? I'm really getting tired of this.
Soundwave GI

Post by Soundwave GI »

superg wrote:Are there any moderators here? I'm really getting tired of this.
Ignore it dude. Everyone is happy and grateful for your work. I’ve been waiting and I don’t care. Quality takes time.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Is there really a possibility of the next order taking 8 months or is the other fellow just off his rockers?

I don't mind waiting either but it is a bit frustrating for those of us who ordered in the second half of February with an estimate of getting it in March, a bit prior to the notification of there not being enough stock. However it is what it is, if SuperG didn't get enough parts nothing can be done, and all we can do is wait patiently.
Vasid

Post by Vasid »

Taiyaki wrote:Is there really a possibility of the next order taking 8 months or is the other fellow just off his rockers?

I don't mind waiting either but it is a bit frustrating for those of us who ordered in the second half of February with an estimate of getting it in March, a bit prior to the notification of there not being enough stock. However it is what it is, if SuperG didn't get enough parts nothing can be done, and all we can do is wait patiently.
That poster is a troll (and I don't just throw that word around), and the 8 months he's talking about were the 8 months those of us who ordered in August already had to wait (and the only reason we had to wait that long was because of development time and Chinese New Year holding up shipping). SuperG said the next batch would be ordered after he's finished shipping the current batch, and that it may take around 2 months.
Last edited by Vasid on Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Soundwave GI

Post by Soundwave GI »

Taiyaki wrote:Is there really a possibility of the next order taking 8 months or is the other fellow just off his rockers?

There are those of us waiting that ordered a day or two after the first preorder. Cancel if you have to. I’ve been watching this board patiently since last summer. People these days are so fucking impatient. STFU and get it when you get it please and leave the board alone for constructive posts. Or order some trash Chinese switch on amazon...bet you can get Amazon Prime 2-day delivery.
magictoaster

Post by magictoaster »

superg wrote:Are there any moderators here? I'm really getting tired of this.
Don't let it bother you! For every vocal troll there are far more decent people who appreciate the work you do! Still, this board would really benefit from an 'ignore function'.

I ordered the gscartsw on the last day of February and I'm glad to be onboard for the next batch. And I'll also order the gcompsw once it's available.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Vasid wrote:That poster is a troll (and I don't just throw that word around), and the 8 months he's talking about were the 8 months those of us who ordered in August already had to wait (and the only reason we had to wait that long was because of development time and Chinese New Year holding up shipping). SuperG said the next batch would be ordered after he's finished shipping the current batch, and that it may take around 2 months.
So the Chinese side was holding it up, thanks for the explanation.
Soundwave GI wrote:There are those of us waiting that ordered a day or two after the first preorder. Cancel if you have to. I’ve been watching this board patiently since last summer. People these days are so fucking impatient. STFU and get it when you get it please and leave the board alone for constructive posts. Or order some trash Chinese switch on amazon...bet you can get Amazon Prime 2-day delivery.
No need to be rude. All I'm saying is when you buy a product and delivery time at checkout is x, and it turns out that when date x comes by you're notified that the date has changed to x+2 months, it kind of sucks is all.

I'll let you know I have already purchased one in the past, back when he started and it was still a work in progress, and the wait time was around 6 weeks and was met on time. I guess things are more complicated now that he has so many more customers (also it sounds like he no longer keeps a manual list and Paypal didn't take note of it properly for him). Not blaming SuperG anyway, he has other things to take care of and probably too many customers to keep track of now a days.
superg

Post by superg »

Taiyaki wrote: So the Chinese side was holding it up, thanks for the explanation.
Not only that. It was a combination of things. First of all it was a first prototype issue with HD signal (720p+) which triggered another revision and following firmware rewrite. There were two prototype batches and one small final batch until all the problems have been taken cared of. I couldn't risk ordering a lot of units without making sure it's all good. And final order which covered everybody's unit (at the time) was right before Chinese New Year. I report everything here so those who read know why all the delays.
jfosheezy2

Post by jfosheezy2 »

I made an account so I can subscribe to news about the gcompsw. Sorry to see others are being very impatient and demanding. I for one am very excited about purchasing this device, but am willing to be patient for such a quality device. Can't wait to pre-order. outstanding work and keep it up my man. :D
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

The previous order took 8+ months to ship and he said it would take about 2-3. A bunch of people still haven't even received them who ordered in August. He's now saying another 2 months for Feb+ orders so you'll be lucky if you anything in under 5-6 months I'd say. If you're happy waiting that long for a product that recently went up 50$ in price, go for it. Just remember that you can't get your money back from paypal over 180 days. Then if SuperG mysteriously goes missing or gets hit by a bus or something, you're SOL. All of which is funny considering PayPal policies on pre-orders is it has to ship within 21 days...
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Well hopefully Superg and SAG can work out an arrangement that will put an end these pre-order problems. So far this has been a one man operation and so issues like this are understandable. I asked Superg for a refund on my pre-order last year, which he immediately issued, not because I don't want the product anymore but because I didn't want to have pre-order money tied up for too long. It does suck for people who may want refunds after the Paypal limit has passed, but they can at least rest assured that they will get their product eventually barring an unlikely catastrophe. I'm going to be placing an order as soon as the gscartsw is in stock.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

As someone who's bought something from just about every SuperG run in the past 2 years. 6 scart switches, 3 comp switches. I can confirm he *always* delivers a high quality product.

But a one man operation with such a large fan base understandably has hiccups. He always comes through in the end. Most of the delays on this run have been to improve the product. This isn't a Terraonion rush job that leaves a bunch of customers stranded with known bugs and bad designs.

He's up front about what's happening and is always focused on delivering the best quality to the customer. It's quite commendable.

And while one community "member" seems intent on shitting on everything everywhere. I struggle to think of a legitimate complaint that SuperG hasn't gone above and beyond to fix.

I hope the SAG thing pans out so SuperG can take a break. I know he's mentioned months back the desire to move on to other products. And it seems like a huge community favor that's he's kept producing units as long as he has.
Vasid

Post by Vasid »

tusecsy wrote:

The previous order took 8+ months to ship and he said it would take about 2-3. A bunch of people still haven't even received them who ordered in August. He's now saying another 2 months for Feb+ orders so you'll be lucky if you anything in under 5-6 months I'd say. If you're happy waiting that long for a product that recently went up 50$ in price, go for it. Just remember that you can't get your money back from paypal over 180 days. Then if SuperG mysteriously goes missing or gets hit by a bus or something, you're SOL. All of which is funny considering PayPal policies on pre-orders is it has to ship within 21 days...
Hey, troll, the reason the shipping was held up the first time was development time (you know, time to actually develop the designs of the switches and make sure they work?) and Chinese New Year. What exactly do you think will hold up shipping this time? The only way your stupid fear mongering works is when you prey on the ignorant and ignore why the delays happened in the first place. You're such a dishonest poster and anyone who listens to you is an idiot.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

Vasid wrote:
tusecsy wrote:

Hey, troll, the reason the shipping was held up the first time was development time (you know, time to actually develop the designs of the switches and make sure they work?) and Chinese New Year. What exactly do you think will hold up shipping this time? The only way your stupid fear mongering works is when you prey on the ignorant and ignore why the delays happened in the first place. You're such a dishonest poster and anyone who listens to you is an idiot.
Again with the Ad Hominems, sad. You'll see I'm right come 4 months from now when the next batch hasn't shipped, and SuperG comes up with a few new excuses as to why...