gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

nonosto wrote:on ebay it's seems unvallable, and waiting maybe one on Wanted sections here.
IMO waiting won't get you anywhere. Those few 4:1 switches that might pop up will be pricey, saw that happened with gscartsw JP21 version, people were selling it on ebay for $500. Current market is crazy, a lot of scalpers and people are playing hardball. My point is that if getting something today, it should be 8:2 because it's designed better. The old 4:1 was using integrated specialized switch chips which aren't available anymore.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

superg wrote:
nonosto wrote:on ebay it's seems unvallable, and waiting maybe one on Wanted sections here.
IMO waiting won't get you anywhere. Those few 4:1 switches that might pop up will be pricey, saw that happened with gscartsw JP21 version, people were selling it on ebay for $500. Current market is crazy, a lot of scalpers and people are playing hardball. My point is that if getting something today, it should be 8:2 because it's designed better. The old 4:1 was using integrated specialized switch chips which aren't available anymore.
Is there anything particularly wrong with the 4:1? I've got both the 4:1 and 8:2, and I've held on to the 4:1 in case I ever need more inputs in the future. I figure I can get an extra three ports by doing 4:1 -> 8:2 -> displays.
superg

Post by superg »

Guspaz wrote: Is there anything particularly wrong with the 4:1? I've got both the 4:1 and 8:2, and I've held on to the 4:1 in case I ever need more inputs in the future. I figure I can get an extra three ports by doing 4:1 -> 8:2 -> displays.
Nothing in particular, an updated design with easier to source parts and footprints which are more "replaceable" without having specialized equipment. The main integrated IC I was referring to is getting pretty hot, it's normal operation but still I prefer to have it colder. Also 8:2 has better input protections and it's more aligned to gscartsw. I guess from consumer standpoint it doesn't really matter.
nonosto

Post by nonosto »

superg wrote: IMO waiting won't get you anywhere. Those few 4:1 switches that might pop up will be pricey, saw that happened with gscartsw JP21 version, people were selling it on ebay for $500. Current market is crazy, a lot of scalpers and people are playing hardball. My point is that if getting something today, it should be 8:2 because it's designed better. The old 4:1 was using integrated specialized switch chips which aren't available anymore.
You are in right, I will save more money to buy the 8:2.
BladeBlur

Post by BladeBlur »

Hey superg, I actually got my gscartsw 3.2 almost 5 years ago in 2016. While I like it, I do have some issues regarding Sync with my Neo Geo while using it with my RetroTink 5x. I was wondering if I were to get the new 5.3 model if I would be able to rectify some of those sync issues so those console would be able to display correctly?
superg

Post by superg »

BladeBlur wrote:Hey superg, I actually got my gscartsw 3.2 almost 5 years ago in 2016. While I like it, I do have some issues regarding Sync with my Neo Geo while using it with my RetroTink 5x. I was wondering if I were to get the new 5.3 model if I would be able to rectify some of those sync issues so those console would be able to display correctly?
Does Neo Geo work directly?
In general it's hard to tell, I remember somebody asked a similar question in this thread but it was a while ago, I think when 5x was just released.
daty2k1

Post by daty2k1 »

Mine is kind of working with the 5x through the gscartsw. I need to enable frame buffer mode and 1080p on the 5x though. It's far from perfect as there are some sync drops and the picture is distorted at the top but it is playable. My AES is a 3-6 that's been RGB modded.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Isn't there a special optimal timing mode for NeoGeo that fixes the distortion?
daty2k1

Post by daty2k1 »

From what I understand, the 5x doesn't like all revisions and I don't think Mike has access to all of them for troubleshooting unfortunately.
nonosto

Post by nonosto »

one question about the SUPERGUN WARNING for RGB 8:2, can I connect my supergun on one scart plug safety? I use the HAS supergun and OSSC.
superg

Post by superg »

nonosto wrote:one question about the SUPERGUN WARNING for RGB 8:2, can I connect my supergun on one scart plug safety? I use the HAS supergun and OSSC.
Not sure what do you mean by that. The warning says not to use it with the switch. It might work, it might not work or it might damage the switch, as I don't repair the switches anymore I can't help if anything happens.
Odolwa

Post by Odolwa »

superg wrote:Not sure what do you mean by that. The warning says not to use it with the switch. It might work, it might not work or it might damage the switch, as I don't repair the switches anymore I can't help if anything happens.
Why not make a switcher for DSub15, the gdsub15sw or gvgasw? You could make a better one than Extron, with a focus on gamers. Extron retired the majority of their SW VGA Ars switchers and doesn't make any of them anymore, except for the 2 and 4 port ones with audio support.
https://www.extron.com/product/sw246vgars
Plus, I can't find any new ones for sale anywhere. I don't even know where or how to buy them. All I can find are used ones on ebay, and the majority of them don't support 3.5mm Stereo Audio input, and the ones that do have 3.5mm Stereo Audio input support, output sound with a stupid 5 pin phoenix block.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Odolwa wrote:
superg wrote:Not sure what do you mean by that. The warning says not to use it with the switch. It might work, it might not work or it might damage the switch, as I don't repair the switches anymore I can't help if anything happens.
Why not make a switcher for DSub15, the gdsub15sw or gvgasw? You could make a better one than Extron, with a focus on gamers. Extron retired the majority of their SW VGA Ars switchers and doesn't make any of them anymore, except for the 2 and 4 port ones with audio support.
https://www.extron.com/product/sw246vgars
Plus, I can't find any new ones for sale anywhere. I don't even know where or how to buy them. All I can find are used ones on ebay, and the majority of them don't support 3.5mm Stereo Audio input, and the ones that do have 3.5mm Stereo Audio input support, output sound with a stupid 5 pin phoenix block.
Despite all the issues he's had with customers, you want him to create another, different switch to sell? I'm sure he'll rush right into that!
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Hey superg, any plans on making a distribution amp?

lol, kidding. But I WILL be using your switches to wire the ones in the middle :)

Full-sized pic: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTVXIQmpxA9/
superg

Post by superg »

retrorgb wrote:Hey superg, any plans on making a distribution amp?

lol, kidding. But I WILL be using your switches to wire the ones in the middle :)

Full-sized pic: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTVXIQmpxA9/
Lol man, I love it! :)
Cardcaptor Stacey

Post by Cardcaptor Stacey »

I have a gscartsw 5.3 and I just want to check my cables (from RGC) aren't going to cause any issues? I'm not great at understanding all the sync stuff and just want to check as I don't want to damage any of my equipment.

Thanks
superg

Post by superg »

Cardcaptor Stacey wrote:I have a gscartsw 5.3 and I just want to check my cables (from RGC) aren't going to cause any issues? I'm not great at understanding all the sync stuff and just want to check as I don't want to damage any of my equipment.

Thanks
Any reputable cable manufacturer should be fine. Just don't use SUPERGUN and be careful about other arcade conversions.
nonosto

Post by nonosto »

One question about automatically convert RGsB to RGBs when it’s in 480p mode feature. I will use one scart for my PS2, and I will use all res avallable: 240p for cave games, 480i for gun game and 480p when avallable or patched. Can I toggle the correct jumpers for this specific scart and how? Mod PS2 [url]http://www.dansprojects.com/ps2sync.html[/url=required]?I used one RGB SCART Sync CSYNC cable & Guncon port cable.
superg

Post by superg »

nonosto wrote:One question about automatically convert RGsB to RGBs when it’s in 480p mode feature. I will use one scart for my PS2, and I will use all res avallable: 240p for cave games, 480i for gun game and 480p when avallable or patched. Can I toggle the correct jumpers for this specific scart and how? Mod PS2 [url]http://www.dansprojects.com/ps2sync.html[/url=required]?I used one RGB SCART Sync CSYNC cable & Guncon port cable.
You don't need to toggle per input. DIP 2 only affects sync-on-green signals and the defaults are fine (DIP 2 off) almost for everybody. Dan's mod is not required either although it will work if you have it modded or not.
nonosto

Post by nonosto »

Wonderful if I good understanding neave default set and run well, 240p,480i and 480p for ps2, and 240p for all other or 480p for DC.
toxictigga

Post by toxictigga »

Sorry to digress from this awesome discussion. Is CastleManiaGames still the official place to get gscartsw? I haven't received my order from June yet. I can't get their support site to respond or check on the status. I've been patiently waiting to get my hands on this incredible switch. Any thoughts on this?
Cooperd9

Post by Cooperd9 »

toxictigga wrote:Sorry to digress from this awesome discussion. Is CastleManiaGames still the official place to get gscartsw? I haven't received my order from June yet. I can't get their support site to respond or check on the status. I've been patiently waiting to get my hands on this incredible switch. Any thoughts on this?
they are still distributing it, they just have been having ongoing issues with shipping delays for many products, some are due to shipping via ship being severely slowed down because of congestion at the ports and others due to other reasons including problems on their part. They are apparently working on hiring someone to help those issues, but for now they are shipping gcompsw units, I got mine yesterday, and the gscartsw will probably start shortly afterwards
superg

Post by superg »

Just to reconfirm, yes, my switches are distributed by CastleMania games.
parodius

Post by parodius »

I just received on Saturday a shipping notice for the gcompsw I ordered early July.
It's not actually shipped yet, but things are moving.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
toxictigga

Post by toxictigga »

Thanks. It feels like an incredibly long wait. Their preorder status page says gscartsw should start shipping Oct 2nd. So wasn’t sure if my order was missed. I waited 4 months, I guess I’ll wait patiently for another two weeks.
nonosto

Post by nonosto »

finally I have any money to buy it (pre order gcomp + gscartw = 740 usd :shock: ) how many time I will wait for receve it?
Last any lag?
Cooperd9

Post by Cooperd9 »

I recieved a gcompsw from castlemania the other day and finally got a chance to test it more thoroughly today, I have been having some problems with it though. With all my consoles that natively output component it is working exactly as expected, but I have many consoles that output RGB and I have been having problems with those. In my setup I have many consoles that output rgb plugged into a w-hydra 2 via scart and the output of that plugs into my transcoder to get component video. My rgb scart to component transcoder from linuxbot3000 and plug my rgb consoles into that via scart to get a component video signal, and that has been giving me issues when combined with the gcompsw. whenever I plug the transcoder into the gcompsw, the gcompsw detects it as an active input even when there aren't any consoles powered on and plugged into the transcoder and won't display any of my other consoles that output component, and when I do have a console powered on, the signal seems to have intermittent sync issues, on my crt it scrolls vertically and is sometimes shakes from side to side or is stretched diagonally, and my OSSC just gives me a message saying NO SYNC (i have tried plugging multiple consoles directly into the transcoder to eliminate the possibility of that being the issue but still have the same problems). I do not see the sync issues when I connect the output of my transcoder directly to the component input on my crt or OSSC, I only get them when it goes through the gcompsw.

Does anyone else have a similar setup that works well? Are there other rgb to component transcoders that behave well with a gcompsw or has anyone had similar issues and been able to resolve them.
superg

Post by superg »

Cooperd9 wrote:I recieved a gcompsw from castlemania the other day and finally got a chance to test it more thoroughly today, I have been having some problems with it though. With all my consoles that natively output component it is working exactly as expected, but I have many consoles that output RGB and I have been having problems with those. In my setup I have many consoles that output rgb plugged into a w-hydra 2 via scart and the output of that plugs into my transcoder to get component video. My rgb scart to component transcoder from linuxbot3000 and plug my rgb consoles into that via scart to get a component video signal, and that has been giving me issues when combined with the gcompsw. whenever I plug the transcoder into the gcompsw, the gcompsw detects it as an active input even when there aren't any consoles powered on and plugged into the transcoder and won't display any of my other consoles that output component, and when I do have a console powered on, the signal seems to have intermittent sync issues, on my crt it scrolls vertically and is sometimes shakes from side to side or is stretched diagonally, and my OSSC just gives me a message saying NO SYNC (i have tried plugging multiple consoles directly into the transcoder to eliminate the possibility of that being the issue but still have the same problems). I do not see the sync issues when I connect the output of my transcoder directly to the component input on my crt or OSSC, I only get them when it goes through the gcompsw.

Does anyone else have a similar setup that works well? Are there other rgb to component transcoders that behave well with a gcompsw or has anyone had similar issues and been able to resolve them.
Why do you think it's a problem with gcompsw?
Maybe it's a problem with the transcoder or hydra?
Cooperd9

Post by Cooperd9 »

it definitely isn't the hydra because I tested without the hydra by just plugging consoles directly into the transcoder and had the same issue, but the problem only seems to occur when I plug the transcoder into the gcompsw, if I only have consoles with native component output like my xbox or wii plugged into the gcompsw I don't have the sync issues and I don't get the sync issues with the transcoder plugged directly into my tv or ossc, I don't know which of those two is the cause.
superg

Post by superg »

Cooperd9 wrote:it definitely isn't the hydra because I tested without the hydra by just plugging consoles directly into the transcoder and had the same issue, but the problem only seems to occur when I plug the transcoder into the gcompsw, if I only have consoles with native component output like my xbox or wii plugged into the gcompsw I don't have the sync issues and I don't get the sync issues with the transcoder plugged directly into my tv or ossc, I don't know which of those two is the cause.
gscartsw -> rgb2comp -> gcompsw is a configuration that works for everybody (or the reverse). Not saying that you should get gscartsw but your setup is something that not many people use, if any.
There are multiple technical reasons why something that works directly doesn't work through the switch and that doesn't mean that there is a problem with the switch. If the signal that gets into gcompsw is compliant, like all your other component consoles, by the way, it would get forwarded just fine.

As of your other question about your transcoder: gcompsw locks to an input, if there is sync there. In turn, if there is sync on input and it's turned off (being it transcoder or anything before that), something is generating that sync.