gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mj23kb08

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by mj23kb08 »

Super G, I'm about to buy a whole bunch of HD Retrovision component cables and adapters tomorrow morning (I believe they go on sale at 12:00 pm EST), so I'll definitely be needing a new GCompsw soon. Any idea about the time frame for the next batch of those?
superg

Post by superg »

mc.zwerg wrote:Are there informations about the EXT Header of the gscartsw_lite? I would like to detect which Input is used.
Yes, I will reply on that tonight when I will have an access to the schematics.
mj23kb08 wrote:Super G, I'm about to buy a whole bunch of HD Retrovision component cables and adapters tomorrow morning (I believe they go on sale at 12:00 pm EST), so I'll definitely be needing a new GCompsw soon. Any idea about the time frame for the next batch of those?
It will probably take a few months, there was very little demand so I have to wait some time.
Philorr

Post by Philorr »

Would be good to know when the pre-orders will be open again as well as looking to order 1 or 2 of the switches.

Phil
kennygunit

Post by kennygunit »

SuperG, big fan of your work. Been a long time watcher of the product, and I think i'm ready to make a purchase. I'm sure this has been said over and over, but what's the process on ordering a Scart Switch? Keep up the great work!
Kamon137

Post by Kamon137 »

Hey superg, I was just wondering--I've got a gscartsw 3.4 that's been sitting in storage for a bit and I'm just now setting it up, but I had a question regarding the cables I own.

Most of my cables have sync strippers built into them already, as I have a PVM-2950Q that requires csync. Will this cause any problems with the gscartsw or should I be good to go?

Thanks in advance.
csjeff

Post by csjeff »

I'm waiting to buy my gcompsw too!
superg

Post by superg »

mc.zwerg wrote:Are there informations about the EXT Header of the gscartsw_lite? I would like to detect which Input is used.
gscartsw_lite EXT pinout:
Pin 1: GND
Pin 2: Override
Pin 3: N/C
Pin 4: +5V
Pin 5: IN_BIT0
Pin 6: IN_BIT1
Pin 7: IN_BIT2
Pin 8: N/C

Pin 5-7 represents selected input in binary.
demperador

Post by demperador »

Hello! I'm interested in purchasing a gscartsw_lite but I have not seen where. Please let me know where and/or when can I purchase one of this switches. Thanks!
tzakiel

Post by tzakiel »

Just learning about these. I’d like to have one as I have a bunch of systems and the need to split my rgb into 2 devices so this seems ideal. What’s the best way to get in on the next batch? Just watch here or is there something I should sign up for or follow?
superg

Post by superg »

tzakiel wrote:Just learning about these. I’d like to have one as I have a bunch of systems and the need to split my rgb into 2 devices so this seems ideal. What’s the best way to get in on the next batch? Just watch here or is there something I should sign up for or follow?
Just watch the thread, I post all the updates here.
Rizzle1984

Post by Rizzle1984 »

Hi everyone , new to this forum , ive just recently recieved a gscartsw_lite for my setup, fantastic switcher! However suddenly both my super nintendo and RGB modded N64 have stopped syncing with the switcher.
Theyre both connected by scart sync on luma cable from retrogaming accessories. The other 6 consoles appear to be working perfecly with the switcher. Any ideas what the issue could be ?

kind regards

Rizz
mc.zwerg

Post by mc.zwerg »

superg wrote:
gscartsw_lite EXT pinout:
Pin 1: GND
Pin 2: Override
Pin 3: N/C
Pin 4: +5V
Pin 5: IN_BIT0
Pin 6: IN_BIT1
Pin 7: IN_BIT2
Pin 8: N/C

Pin 5-7 represents selected input in binary.

Thank you!
SegaDude

Post by SegaDude »

Hi superg

I'm hoping you do another run of the gcompsw.

I'm in for one when you're ready.

Thanks!
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

SegaDude wrote:Hi superg

I'm hoping you do another run of the gcompsw.

I'm in for one when you're ready.

Thanks!
Same. I need just 1 more
superg

Post by superg »

Rizzle1984 wrote:Hi everyone , new to this forum , ive just recently recieved a gscartsw_lite for my setup, fantastic switcher! However suddenly both my super nintendo and RGB modded N64 have stopped syncing with the switcher.
Theyre both connected by scart sync on luma cable from retrogaming accessories. The other 6 consoles appear to be working perfecly with the switcher. Any ideas what the issue could be ?
What is your N64 mod?
SNES should work with CVBS and CSYNC SCART cable, I don't own sync on luma cable to try. SNES Mini works with Voultar mods.
Are you sure this is the switch, what do you use as your output device?
NullPo

Post by NullPo »

Registered just to say I'd really love to buy a gwscartsw, it would allow me to eliminate some pesky manual switches and an extron distribution amp from my setup.
Shinjo Yoshida

Post by Shinjo Yoshida »

Hello SuperG. Count me in for a future gcompsw, I've heard great things about your product.

Also, do you have any plans for creating an 8 input version of your gcompsw? Or perhaps any component switch with a greater number of inputs than the standard 4?
I for one would be most interested in such a design.
Basscross64

Post by Basscross64 »

Hi

I've been using the GSCART_lite and it's been fantastic. The only caveat is I'm having strange sync issues with my Nintendo 64. In certain games like Banjo-Kazooie the intro has sync problems near the top of the screen that don't exist when directly connected to my monitor. The sync stripper switch on the GSCART fixes the issues but I find it odd that having the GSCART as an intermediary would cause problems that don't exist otherwise. (Or maybe they do and the GSCART exposes them?)

I'm using the Videogameperfection Nintendo 64 RGB board using buffered Csync with J2 jumpered to bypass the 220µF capacitor as it was causing other sync issues. I take responsibility for the installation so this could be my fault, but I'm more so looking to see if anyone has had a similar issue and see if this is normal or not.

*edit* I've read about switches not liking the Nintendo 64's CSync in particular. Would using sync on luma possibly correct these issues?
DemoNight

Post by DemoNight »

How often should I be checking this thread for a gscartsw_lite? Would weekly be enough or should I be checking everyday? Will Email notifications send me an email if the OP is updated for new stock information?
buckieretro1984

Post by buckieretro1984 »

Are these still available?
Desperate to get one, is the seller/creator still online and producing these? How can i get one
Thanks
Paul
superg

Post by superg »

Basscross64 wrote:Hi

I've been using the GSCART_lite and it's been fantastic. The only caveat is I'm having strange sync issues with my Nintendo 64. In certain games like Banjo-Kazooie the intro has sync problems near the top of the screen that don't exist when directly connected to my monitor. The sync stripper switch on the GSCART fixes the issues but I find it odd that having the GSCART as an intermediary would cause problems that don't exist otherwise. (Or maybe they do and the GSCART exposes them?)

I'm using the Videogameperfection Nintendo 64 RGB board using buffered Csync with J2 jumpered to bypass the 220µF capacitor as it was causing other sync issues. I take responsibility for the installation so this could be my fault, but I'm more so looking to see if anyone has had a similar issue and see if this is normal or not.

*edit* I've read about switches not liking the Nintendo 64's CSync in particular. Would using sync on luma possibly correct these issues?
Switch logic has some limitations, it's not 100% pass through device, I strive for 100% compatibility but there are IC limitations like -5V +5V multiplexer clamp, etc. This is one of the reasons I've came up with this sync regeneration idea which fixes most of the issue. What I can say for sure is that N64RGB from viletim is 100% compatible, I have that installed in one of my late N64's.
On a side note I've ordered exactly the same N64 RGB board for early N64 revision and I plan to install it soon and see how it goes. Not sure why would you bypass 220uF sync capacitor, is it something recommended?
DemoNight wrote:How often should I be checking this thread for a gscartsw_lite? Would weekly be enough or should I be checking everyday? Will Email notifications send me an email if the OP is updated for new stock information?
Weekly definitely will be enough, I will need a month to finish some other things before I can order another batch.
buckieretro1984

Post by buckieretro1984 »

Hi mate
Can you ensure am informed of new batches, am from uk and been after one for quite some time
Thanks
Paul
Basscross64

Post by Basscross64 »

superg wrote:
Switch logic has some limitations, it's not 100% pass through device, I strive for 100% compatibility but there are IC limitations like -5V +5V multiplexer clamp, etc. This is one of the reasons I've came up with this sync regeneration idea which fixes most of the issue. What I can say for sure is that N64RGB from viletim is 100% compatible, I have that installed in one of my late N64's.
On a side note I've ordered exactly the same N64 RGB board for early N64 revision and I plan to install it soon and see how it goes. Not sure why would you bypass 220uF sync capacitor, is it something recommended?
It's recommended to jumper J2 to bypass the 220µF sync capacitor if you have issues, which I was having with Super Mario 64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day. The bypass fixed the issues with those games but I'm having problems with Banjo-Kazooie now. Whether or not the capacitor was bypassed I had no issues with a direct connection, only through the GSCART.
Last edited by Basscross64 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
DemoNight

Post by DemoNight »

superg wrote:
Basscross64 wrote:Hi

DemoNight wrote:How often should I be checking this thread for a gscartsw_lite? Would weekly be enough or should I be checking everyday? Will Email notifications send me an email if the OP is updated for new stock information?
Weekly definitely will be enough, I will need a month to finish some other things before I can order another batch.

Thanks, will check every Sunday night.
Elder Link

Post by Elder Link »

any update on the gccartsw_lite?
bergalon

Post by bergalon »

Also interested in getting one of these! Looks like an awesome product, thanks superg!
mj23kb08

Post by mj23kb08 »

SuperG, I'm sure this has been asked before on this thread but I would really prefer not to scan through all 90+ pages of content. Lol. Anyway, I love the gcompsw I got from you a few months ago, and I look forward to the next batch. However, I'm curious about something. Why did you only design the gcompsw with 4 inputs? Currently, 4 works just fine because I only have use HD Retrovision component cables on my SNES, Genesis, PS1, and Saturn on my CRT while I use component with my Gamecube, PS2, and Wii on my HD TV. My concern is with my CRT setup though because I may get an RGB mod for my NES at some point which would allow me to use an HD Retrovision SNES cable with it. This would require 5 inputs. I don't think any of these 5 systems would look nearly as good on an HD TV via component as they do on a CRT via component. Have you ever considered a more expensive premium variation of the gcompsw that has 6-8 inputs instead of 4? I know you mentioned the demand not being as high for the gcompsw with this last batch, but maybe there would be more demand if there were more inputs.

Anyway, you do fantastic work so I don't mean to come across as critical whatsoever. I'm just curious regarding your reasoning for the limited number of inputs and also if you have plans to do a version later on with more.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

mj23kb08 wrote:Why did you only design the gcompsw with 4 inputs? ... Have you ever considered a more expensive premium variation of the gcompsw that has 6-8 inputs instead of 4?
Granted, I'm not superg, but I believe the reason that there isn't a larger version is that 4 inputs is a good number for most people, as most people won't have a boatload of consoles hooked up at the same time. For those that do, multiple units of the current version can be daisy-chained; and I believe the power adapter has plenty of overhead, so you can get barrel-connector y-adapters to power multiple units off the same PSU.

Personally, I'm still hoping for a second hardware revision that adds TOSLINK (On the OSSC as well) and dual output.
cook99

Post by cook99 »

I'm also not the main man, but I'm pretty sure it's been said 4 caters for most normal scenarios assuming people have maxed out the scart setup. The only consoles that are more likely to be component are Wii, GameCube, PS2, OG Xbox. PSP is the other optional one. Every other console is likely better off with rgb scart. 4 is a good number for me.
I'd actually love a gscart mini with 4 ports since I have 10 scart consoles and 4 component consoles. 16 ports of scart is overkill for me.
Edit: well I searched through the thread for and discovered superg has said that 4 port scart doesn't change the cost enough to justify effort and low demand (paraphrased) , hope I got that right. Well I guess I may crumble and buy another a lite to daisy with my 3.4.
superg

Post by superg »

mj23kb08 wrote:SuperG, I'm sure this has been asked before on this thread but I would really prefer not to scan through all 90+ pages of content. Lol. Anyway, I love the gcompsw I got from you a few months ago, and I look forward to the next batch. However, I'm curious about something. Why did you only design the gcompsw with 4 inputs? Currently, 4 works just fine because I only have use HD Retrovision component cables on my SNES, Genesis, PS1, and Saturn on my CRT while I use component with my Gamecube, PS2, and Wii on my HD TV. My concern is with my CRT setup though because I may get an RGB mod for my NES at some point which would allow me to use an HD Retrovision SNES cable with it. This would require 5 inputs. I don't think any of these 5 systems would look nearly as good on an HD TV via component as they do on a CRT via component. Have you ever considered a more expensive premium variation of the gcompsw that has 6-8 inputs instead of 4? I know you mentioned the demand not being as high for the gcompsw with this last batch, but maybe there would be more demand if there were more inputs.
Well, I personally prefer RGBS. HD Retrovision started to manufacture component converter cables relatively recently, before that it was as you say, PS2 (inferior to RGBS), GameCube, WII, XBox and maybe PSP - not too many systems. gcompsw was feasible with 4 inputs and you could always daisy-chain if you need more. 8 inputs is not a problem honestly but at that time it didn't make enough sense to me.