gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

the Goat wrote:
hyne wrote:I have a question regarding my old (but still AWESOME) gscartsw_lite:

For my OG Xbox, I just purchased a SCART cable that is wired for YPbPr from: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/xbo ... n-Conveter

After softmodding my PAL Xbox to enable progressive output, the cable works great if I plug it into the SCART port of my OSSC directly (delivering 480p / 720p over SCART). However, once I add my gscartsw_lite into the mix, it won't pass through the HD signals through to my OSSC.

I tried toggling the little "CS" switch on the gscartsw_lite on and off, but no luck.
I'm pretty sure your gscartsw needs a sync signal on pin 20 to auto select the active input. Your YPvPr SCART cable doesn't provide that.
hyne wrote:Any hints on this? Would the most current version of the gscartsw work better in this scenario? Thanks :)
Yes the new gscartsw detects sync on pin 20 or pin 11 which carries Green in RGBS or Luma (Y) in your YPbPr cable.
This is correct.
snowekim

Post by snowekim »

superg wrote:
snowekim wrote:Hello @superg, is there any incompatibility between the gscartsw and the gscompsw( through retrotink COMP2RGB)?
I read in another thread one user was having problems with this setup but it seems that he is using an older version of gscartsw. Somehow some of his consoles were failing to sync when the gscompsw was in the chain.
I'm asking this because I pre-ordered a gscartsw and will have a very similar setup.
I don't think there is any incompatibility. There is a small issue where TV was showing some garbage with no console turned on but that is safe to ignore (and why would you keep your TV on with no consoles ON? :)).
I forgot to mention that i plan to use gcomp1.1 (4 ports 1 output) with the new gscartsw8.2, there shouldn't be any incompatibility right?
superg

Post by superg »

snowekim wrote: I forgot to mention that i plan to use gcomp1.1 (4 ports 1 output) with the new gscartsw8.2, there shouldn't be any incompatibility right?
What I said should be still true for the older 4-port gcompsw although I didn't test it, the switching principle is still the same.
jymotion

Post by jymotion »

jymotion wrote:The switch works fine in two setups without the OSSC (crt, comp monitor), but the OSSC works fine in two setups without the switch (TV, cap card). It'll likely be a week before I can send the switch directly to the capture card, which will be the first time I have a constant display for all scenarios. I can check back in at that time. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
My RCA-to-DVI adapter came early, so I was able to test direct capture from the switch. Youtube video and downloadable ZIP of the 3 lossless recordings below. Unfortunately, it suggests to me the issue is with the gcompsw, not the OSSC or the combination of the two. It may have just been far less noticeable or filtered somehow on the CRT & component monitor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUq0BupNWEA
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qlMxny ... sp=sharing

Wii > OSSC 1.4 > Datapath VisionRGB E2S ... good
Wii > gcompsw 1.1 > Datapath VisionRGB E2S ... bad
Wii > gcompsw 1.1 > OSSC 1.4 > Datapath VisionRGB E2S ... bad

I don't own an oscilloscope and it seems like a decent one would cost me north of $100, plus I wouldn't know what to do if I got one. I mentioned previously that I've gone through multiple capture cards assuming they were the problem when, for all I know, the switch may have had this problem from the start. I understand and appreciate that you're just one person and not a large company that can offer free replacements etc, but I hope you can understand my disappointment if I'm stuck with this after spending $130 on it. Thanks.
superg

Post by superg »

jymotion wrote: I don't own an oscilloscope and it seems like a decent one would cost me north of $100, plus I wouldn't know what to do if I got one. I mentioned previously that I've gone through multiple capture cards assuming they were the problem when, for all I know, the switch may have had this problem from the start. I understand and appreciate that you're just one person and not a large company that can offer free replacements etc, but I hope you can understand my disappointment if I'm stuck with this after spending $130 on it. Thanks.
I'm sorry for your troubles but there is nothing I can do. This is end of life product which I don't sell for 2+ years. It's next to impossible that I shipped a problematic unit as everything is tested here (if the switch is at fault). I cannot repair it now because the most important integrated IC used there is end of life now and even soldering process of it is hard to perform with my current equipment.
TheNightfly

Post by TheNightfly »

I bought a gscartsw a couple months ago, and then picked up an rgb-pi (https://www.rgb-pi.com/). For some reason the device doesn't work when I connect to the gscartsw, the picture I get is only green and the sync is messed up. If I plug in a scart->bnc cable and plug this directly into my TV it works. It's only having the switch in the middle. Any suggestions? Messing with the dip switches doesn't seem to do anything, and my consoles work fine.
superg

Post by superg »

CoronaUpdate:
All gscartsw and gcompsw case parts will be here next week. I'm awaiting PCB shipment from China, last ETA was the end of March. I will have more information next week if there is any delay with PCB's. As soon as I get everything here I will start shipping.
Stay safe!
chesteraarthur2

Post by chesteraarthur2 »

Hey man! Nice work on this--I definitely think I am going to pick one up when they're back in stock.

It's hard to read through 140 pages, so I'll ask my quick amateurish question here:

Does the compswitch support automatic detection as well?

Also, all of my consoles are component or composite, but is there a benefit to switching them to scart?

Thanks again!
chesteraarthur2

And another question (sorry I am new at this)

Is it possible to put the gscompsw output to a RetroTINK 2x? If not, is there any upscaler that has been tested with this product?

I am basically trying to connect a bunch of old consoles --> upscaler --> HDTV
superg

Post by superg »

chesteraarthur2 wrote: Does the compswitch support automatic detection as well?
Yes, both gscartsw and gcompsw are fully automatic switches.
chesteraarthur2 wrote: Also, all of my consoles are component or composite, but is there a benefit to switching them to scart?
There is a big quality improvement if you upgrade from composite to either component or scart. SCART is for purists, most of the retro consoles output RGBS natively so you get the best signal you can if you go with SCART. On the other hand component is more user friendly but it adds some processing because you transcode the colorspace - but in practice I don't think you can tell the difference.
chesteraarthur2 wrote: Is it possible to put the gscompsw output to a RetroTINK 2x? If not, is there any upscaler that has been tested with this product?
I don't own RetroTINK 2x but I have no doubt it will work. Here I have both OSSC and Framemeister.
Reluctant Hero

Post by Reluctant Hero »

I purchased the new GCOMPSW last summer and I can confirm that it outputs to a RetroTink 2X Pro without any issues.
chesteraarthur2

You guys are awesome. If I preorder now, can I safely assume it'll be ready by the end of April?
superg

Post by superg »

chesteraarthur2 wrote:You guys are awesome. If I preorder now, can I safely assume it'll be ready by the end of April?
No guarantees, it depends on my manufacturer and there can be delays. I ship as soon as I get the units here.
chesteraarthur2

superg wrote:
chesteraarthur2 wrote:You guys are awesome. If I preorder now, can I safely assume it'll be ready by the end of April?
No guarantees, it depends on my manufacturer and there can be delays. I ship as soon as I get the units here.
Just ordered anyway! ;)
superg

Post by superg »

Update: Manufacturer shipped everything (gcompsw and gscartsw), I expect it to be here next week. About that time I should also get case panels so if testing goes well, I start shipping next week!
Thanks everybody for your patience.
UnkleChopChop

Post by UnkleChopChop »

Hi Superg,

I recently placed an order for a gscartsw but as your site doesn't allow for user account registrations (unless I'm being very blind!) the only proof of purchase I have is my PayPal receipt (it states "Item Number 51" if that helps). I just want to make sure that there is no problem with my order. Is that something you can help with? Thanks.
superg

Post by superg »

UnkleChopChop wrote:Hi Superg,

I recently placed an order for a gscartsw but as your site doesn't allow for user account registrations (unless I'm being very blind!) the only proof of purchase I have is my PayPal receipt (it states "Item Number 51" if that helps). I just want to make sure that there is no problem with my order. Is that something you can help with? Thanks.
I use paypal for the order management, this is something I can manage myself without investing some extra money :)
If you see the transaction, it's fine.
It's very likely that I will start shipping next week.
chesteraarthur2

Heyo, just confirming--

Do these come with a power adapter? Are the output cables included as well?
superg

Post by superg »

chesteraarthur2 wrote:Heyo, just confirming--

Do these come with a power adapter?
Yes, universal world micro usb power supply is included.
chesteraarthur2 wrote: Are the output cables included as well?
If you mean SCART male-to-male cable then no. Quality of these cables vary so it's up to you to puchase one.
UnkleChopChop

Post by UnkleChopChop »

superg wrote:
UnkleChopChop wrote:Hi Superg,

I use paypal for the order management, this is something I can manage myself without investing some extra money :)
If you see the transaction, it's fine.
It's very likely that I will start shipping next week.
Thanks very much for the quick reply! Can't wait to receive what is, according to the reviews/feedback I have read, an amazing device! :D
ProximaV

Post by ProximaV »

I just purchased a carby component cable for gambecube.
https://insurrectionindustries.com/prod ... component/

Utilizes custom 1.9 meter (~6 foot), premium-quality, double shielded, 75Ω coaxial cable that is terminated with 75Ω BNC connectors for the highest quality and most secure connection to professional video equipment

This seems like a well built product that meet the standard.

However, when it goes though the switch there a white flash before the gcompsw greenlight double flash and then the video signal appears normally. It doesnt do that when plugged directly into my TV

None of the other consoles in my gcompsw are doing an artfact like this before turning on

https://youtu.be/IC8CAoQULxc

Is there anybody using those components together? GCOMPSW and CARBY COMPONENT?

Is it breaking my GCOMPSW 8:2?

SuperG any thoughts?
superg

Post by superg »

ProximaV wrote: Is it breaking my GCOMPSW 8:2?

SuperG any thoughts?
Definitely not breaking the switch.
Maybe carby is not fully initialized for a few seconds. When you see garbled output, is gcompsw LED stable or it blinks?
ProximaV

Post by ProximaV »

Maybe carby is not fully initialized for a few seconds. When you see garbled output, is gcompsw LED stable or it blinks?
I turn ON the gamecube, The light on GCOMPSW is solid, the flashing/garble appears on screen (like on my video), then the GCOMP flash two time and the logo for Gamecube appears right away really clean
superg

Post by superg »

ProximaV wrote:
I turn ON the gamecube, The light on GCOMPSW is solid, the flashing/garble appears on screen (like on my video), then the GCOMP flash two time and the logo for Gamecube appears right away really clean
So most likely the sync signal for the first few seconds is non compliant and then it fixes itself. I was having that issue with my PAL GameCube and XRGB-Mini (without the switch), never seen the full start animation in RGB :) If you have no problem when it's connected to your TV directly that means that your TV supports this better. Switch has additional circuitry and it's more strict to the sync standard but to know the exact reason why it happens I have to take it on the scope and I would not rather spend a lot of time for such a minor thing.
ProximaV

Post by ProximaV »

So most likely the sync signal for the first few seconds is non compliant and then it fixes itself. I was having that issue with my PAL GameCube and XRGB-Mini (without the switch), never seen the full start animation in RGB :) If you have no problem when it's connected to your TV directly that means that your TV supports this better. Switch has additional circuitry and it's more strict to the sync standard but to know the exact reason why it happens I have to take it on the scope and I would not rather spend a lot of time for such a minor thing.
No worries, i just wanted to make sure it would not destroy the switch :) it is a 2 sec things this is not annoying at all, you made it really clear on your website to not connect shady supergun or other sub standard equipements to our switches so i became afraid of this. :)
watsu

Post by watsu »

Ok, took me some time to get all the cables needed to finish my setup and...
just want to say big THANK YOU superg. This switch is flawless!!
I use many NTSC-J systems, PAL A1200, CRT, LCD, Framemeister, HD60S+
all work perfectly and with almost no lag whatsoever.
Gscart isn't cheap but definitely worth every penny.
You're doing an awesome work there. Thanks again!
superg

Post by superg »

watsu wrote:Ok, took me some time to get all the cables needed to finish my setup and...
just want to say big THANK YOU superg. This switch is flawless!!
I use many NTSC-J systems, PAL A1200, CRT, LCD, Framemeister, HD60S+
all work perfectly and with almost no lag whatsoever.
Gscart isn't cheap but definitely worth every penny.
You're doing an awesome work there. Thanks again!
Glad you liked it!

Update: All units are here, I shipped some gscartsw this week and the rest gscartsw and gcompsw will probably be dropped off early next week.
superg

Post by superg »

I managed to ship all the remaining gscartsw's today. Now working on gcompsw switches, most likely everything will be shipped Monday-Tuesday.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

I own two Gscartsw 5.2s but I’ve never tried the sync regeneration option. Both Gscarts are built into my cabinet. Is there any benefit in using sync regeneration on my Sony PVMs?
snowekim

Post by snowekim »

superg wrote:
snowekim wrote: I forgot to mention that i plan to use gcomp1.1 (4 ports 1 output) with the new gscartsw8.2, there shouldn't be any incompatibility right?
What I said should be still true for the older 4-port gcompsw although I didn't test it, the switching principle is still the same.
So I received my gscartsw this week and finally got time to play with it today.

While it works great, I'm seeing some weird behavior when the gscompsw is the chain.

When all the consoles are off my OSSC keeps switching inputs(avs) like crazy and my pvm keeps showing lines like if it was getting some kind of signal.

My setup is the following:
Gscartsw ouputs to ossc and pvm
Gcompsw connected to COMP2RGB connected to gscartsw

If I connect the COMP2RGB( with the gcompsw) directly to my PVM I don't see the problem.

Everything seems to be syncing fine so far when turned on, but it bugs me why the gcompsw is giving some noise when connected to the gscartsw and everything is off?

My problem seems very similar to this user's (@LDigital)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66074
Except that my consoles seems to be syncing fine so far( probably because I don't have the consoles he was having problems with)

Edit: I kept testing and swapped the gcompsw v1.1 for my audio authority component switch, and it presents the same problem. Tried connecting my GameCube directly to the COMP2RGB -> gscartsw and the problem persisted.

So it seems the problem is the comp2rgb with gscartsw, you know if there are some known compatibility issues with these 2? Or is the noise signal (when no active signal) expected when the comp2rgb is in the chain?