gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
novo1858

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by novo1858 »

Hi superg,

Is it possible to get a combined shipping rate if I wanted to buy the gscartsw_lite and compsw?

Thanks,
Sp33dFr34k

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

Nice, that should be 4PM my time (Netherlands), that's doable :)

I saw your notice about customs, do you declare full value on the package? Just so I can take that into account.
miagenuv

Post by miagenuv »

superg wrote:Guys, I plan to open gscartsw_lite orders on February 26. I want to fully assemble every unit before as this way it will be shipped fast and I won't get "where is my order" questions. The usual time, 10:00am EST.
How exactly will orders be handled? Do we have to write you a private message or will there be a dedicated order page? If there will be an order page, where can we find it on the 26th?
vj88

Post by vj88 »

So 26 of february! Great! Must the pre-order be made on your website or is there a special procedure?
Thanks a lot
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

vj88 wrote:So 26 of february! Great! Must the pre-order be made on your website or is there a special procedure?
Thanks a lot
No preorders; he said he'd build and test all of the next batch, then ship as orders come in. When sales open on the 26th, you buy, he ships; simple as that.
Orrimarrko

Post by Orrimarrko »

Orders to be placed on the website though, correct? (As opposed to here ...)
Orrimarrko on: sega-naomi.com, neo-geo.com, nintendoage.com, atariage.com, cheapassgamer.com, and digitpress.com

No_anchovies on ebay
mjs0686

Post by mjs0686 »

Orrimarrko wrote:Orders to be placed on the website though, correct? (As opposed to here ...)
Superg has been taking order on the website for a while.
Orrimarrko

Post by Orrimarrko »

mjs0686 wrote:
Orrimarrko wrote:Orders to be placed on the website though, correct? (As opposed to here ...)
Superg has been taking order on the website for a while.
Will order on his website then. Thanks.
Orrimarrko on: sega-naomi.com, neo-geo.com, nintendoage.com, atariage.com, cheapassgamer.com, and digitpress.com

No_anchovies on ebay
gordon-creAtive

Post by gordon-creAtive »

novo1858 wrote:Hi superg,

Is it possible to get a combined shipping rate if I wanted to buy the gscartsw_lite and compsw?

Thanks,
Buried deep in this thread is a statement of superg where he states that combining is not cheaper, that's why it's not available. Also there seem to be problems with insurance because only up to 100 USD can be insured per package.

I'd propose to include this statement in the first post, but the reality has shown: poeple don't even manage to read the first post of this thread.
novo1858

Post by novo1858 »

gordon-creAtive wrote:

Thanks,
Buried deep in this thread is a statement of superg where he states that combining is not cheaper, that's why it's not available. Also there seem to be problems with insurance because only up to 100 USD can be insured per package.

I'd propose to include this statement in the first post, but the reality has shown: poeple don't even manage to read the first post of this thread.
Thank you very much, I have been combing through the thread with no avail.
Octo-King

Post by Octo-King »

TLDR; What kind of sync is "accepted" and is being output by the gscartsw_lite?

I'm trying not to fry anything or put even the slightest unnecessary stress for my setup or on any device if it can be avoided (or maybe I'm just paranoid?). I remember reading somewhere that the lite outputs TTL sync as opposed to 75-ohm sync. I'm no expert on any of this but trying to learn as I go along. I recently just bought an OSSC and reading through its wiki page, it reads that it is recommended to not plug in a TTL sync into the scart input as to avoid unnecessary stress on the consoles and/or OSSC. I guess the same question would also apply to the framemeister as thats's what I've been using for some time now. I really hope I don't have to do go through all of my consoles and install resistors just to be safe. Any help is appreciated!
superg

Post by superg »

gordon-creAtive wrote:

Thanks,

I've added a combined shipping notice to gretrostuff.com, chances are that more people will notice it when making an order.
superg

Post by superg »

Octo-King wrote:TLDR; What kind of sync is "accepted" and is being output by the gscartsw_lite?

I'm trying not to fry anything or put even the slightest unnecessary stress for my setup or on any device if it can be avoided (or maybe I'm just paranoid?). I remember reading somewhere that the lite outputs TTL sync as opposed to 75-ohm sync. I'm no expert on any of this but trying to learn as I go along. I recently just bought an OSSC and reading through its wiki page, it reads that it is recommended to not plug in a TTL sync into the scart input as to avoid unnecessary stress on the consoles and/or OSSC. I guess the same question would also apply to the framemeister as thats's what I've been using for some time now. I really hope I don't have to do go through all of my consoles and install resistors just to be safe. Any help is appreciated!
What you've read about TTL/OSSC is right. The gscartsw_lite always outputs 75 ohm terminated sync. TTL sync on input should always have a resistor.
Octo-King

Post by Octo-King »

superg wrote:
Octo-King wrote:TLDR; What kind of sync is "accepted" and is being output by the gscartsw_lite?

What you've read about TTL/OSSC is right. The gscartsw_lite always outputs 75 ohm terminated sync. TTL sync on input should always have a resistor.
Thanks! And like I said, I'm learning as I go, but are the terms TTL/CSYNC interchangeable? As well as 75 ohm/ sync on composite? And If so the lite can output either one via the csync switch? <--- aka, I would like to know a little more about the lite's sync regeneration.
superg

Post by superg »

Octo-King wrote: Thanks! And like I said, I'm learning as I go, but are the terms TTL/CSYNC interchangeable? As well as 75 ohm/ sync on composite? And If so the lite can output either one via the csync switch? <--- aka, I would like to know a little more about the lite's sync regeneration.
TTL is an electrical spec, CSYNC is sync type. CSYNC can be TTL and can be 75ohm terminated. Switch accepts only 75ohm terminated. You can "convert" from TTL to 75ohm terminated by adding the resistor, that's what console cable manufacturers do. gscartsw_lite doesn't output TTL. Sync regeneration intelligently detects sync pulses and provides the regenerated signal on output (aka CSYNC).
superg

Post by superg »

I currently experience a spike in gcompsw sales, does anybody know what could've happened? :)
thenendo

Post by thenendo »

superg wrote:I currently experience a spike in gcompsw sales, does anybody know what could've happened? :)
Possibly it's because HD Retrovision just announced today on their e-mail distribution list that their store will be restocked soon, including YPbPr cables and adapters for Genesis, SNES, Saturn, and, for the first time, PS1.
superg

Post by superg »

thenendo wrote:
superg wrote:I currently experience a spike in gcompsw sales, does anybody know what could've happened? :)
Possibly it's because HD Retrovision just announced today on their e-mail distribution list that their store will be restocked soon, including YPbPr cables and adapters for Genesis, SNES, Saturn, and, for the first time, PS1.
Oh, so that could be the reason, thanks!
hex12

Post by hex12 »

Someone can tell me if Toro box for Dreamcast has troubles with GSCARTSW_LITE?
superg

Post by superg »

Ok, so gcompsw's are finally sold out. Right now I'm focusing on the current gscartsw_lite batch.
Octo-King

Post by Octo-King »

Is there any future update for the lite to have RGsB?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Octo-King wrote:Is there any future update for the lite to have RGsB?
I believe the intention is to leave the gscartsw_lite as it is, with no intention to change it in the foreseeable future. There was some discussion about a shim that would plug in between the SCART head of the cable and the gscartsw_lite that would contain a sync stripper to convert RGsB to RGBS, but I haven't recently seen any progress regarding that.
superg

Post by superg »

Octo-King wrote:Is there any future update for the lite to have RGsB?
nmalinoski wrote:I believe the intention is to leave the gscartsw_lite as it is, with no intention to change it in the foreseeable future. There was some discussion about a shim that would plug in between the SCART head of the cable and the gscartsw_lite that would contain a sync stripper to convert RGsB to RGBS, but I haven't recently seen any progress regarding that.
It all depends, nothing is decided at this point. I have a circuit designed for RGsB->RGBS conversion, have to order a prototype once my manufacturer will return from holidays and see how it goes.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

hex12 wrote:Someone can tell me if Toro box for Dreamcast has troubles with GSCARTSW_LITE?
It works fine.
mjs0686

Post by mjs0686 »

superg wrote:

Sync regeneration can be turned off, correct? And if so would it just pass through whatever sync signal it gets?

Gscart lite should only be fed 75 ohm terminated sync on its inputs right?
superg

Post by superg »

mjs0686 wrote:
superg wrote:

Sync regeneration can be turned off, correct? And if so would it just pass through whatever sync signal it gets?

Gscart lite should only be fed 75 ohm terminated sync on its inputs right?
Yes.
Phoebius

Post by Phoebius »

Hey everyone,

I may ask a dumb question, so I apologize in advance, but...
I got a gscartsw_lite, and everything is working fine, except for my NES and my Master System 2.

As I'm french, I've got the french NES and Master System 2 versions, and if I understand correctly, the output is supposed to be RGB :
http://retrorgb.com/frenchrgbconsoles.html

Unfortunately, with the Master System, I get no signal at all, and with the NES, only the sound with a black screen.
Is this normal? Would it work if I changed the cables? (for example : https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... e-for-sale)

Thanks in advance
superg

Post by superg »

Phoebius wrote:Hey everyone,

I may ask a dumb question, so I apologize in advance, but...
I got a gscartsw_lite, and everything is working fine, except for my NES and my Master System 2.

As I'm french, I've got the french NES and Master System 2 versions, and if I understand correctly, the output is supposed to be RGB :
http://retrorgb.com/frenchrgbconsoles.html

Unfortunately, with the Master System, I get no signal at all, and with the NES, only the sound with a black screen.
Is this normal? Would it work if I changed the cables? (for example : https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... e-for-sale)

Thanks in advance
If your NES is not modded you won't get RGBS, you have to mod it. The same goes for SMS2.
Octo-King

Post by Octo-King »

What are some high quality male to male component cables you guys recommend for the output of the gcompsw?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Octo-King wrote:What are some high quality male to male component cables you guys recommend for the output of the gcompsw?
I’ve been really happy with https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id= ... 1&format=2

It’s a thick gauge with a thick jacket spacing the lines. And the connectors are pretty grippy.

The only thing I don’t like about them is they’re not super flexible. So super short runs can be a bit of a pain to get neatly managed.