gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DirkSwizzler

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by DirkSwizzler »

I've been meaning to send RGC a note that it would make my life easier if they would very clearly label which csync cables have a sync stripper built in and which do not. I think he mentions it in the specifications if they do, but the fact that I'm not sure makes me question things more often than necessary.
ArcadeDragon

Post by ArcadeDragon »

Hello! I've been meaning to buy one of these for over a year now, but every time I check the page on the website it just says "Sold Out"

Am I just missing the order window every time? Is there a pre-order option somewhere, or a specific window when I should check to see if any are available?

Please let me know what I can do to purchase one of these from you.

Thanks very much!
KonradKlaus

Post by KonradKlaus »

So I looked at it again and the light stayed green from the snes. I switched outputs and then it worked. The first output was exhibiting the same garbled sync. What is odd is the snes is the only system that doesn't work on output one. PS1, N64, Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast all work on output one, while the snes only was working on output 2.

Should I be worried that something has gone defective? All my cables are from retro access. I don't have another c-sync snes cable to try, but like I said output 2 it works beautifully.
loukey

Post by loukey »

KonradKlaus wrote:So I looked at it again and the light stayed green from the snes. I switched outputs and then it worked. The first output was exhibiting the same garbled sync. What is odd is the snes is the only system that doesn't work on output one. PS1, N64, Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast all work on output one, while the snes only was working on output 2.

Should I be worried that something has gone defective? All my cables are from retro access. I don't have another c-sync snes cable to try, but like I said output 2 it works beautifully.
It's cause superg is a huge Sega fan and he designed the switch so Nintendo could never be number one.
superg

Post by superg »

ArcadeDragon wrote:Hello! I've been meaning to buy one of these for over a year now, but every time I check the page on the website it just says "Sold Out"
Am I just missing the order window every time? Is there a pre-order option somewhere, or a specific window when I should check to see if any are available?
Please let me know what I can do to purchase one of these from you.
Thanks very much!
I always update the first post in this thread when I expect the units in stock. RetroRGB usually announces availability few days before on his Facebook / Twitter.
loukey wrote: It's cause superg is a huge Sega fan and he designed the switch so Nintendo could never be number one.
Lol, Sega does what Nintendon't!
KonradKlaus wrote:So I looked at it again and the light stayed green from the snes. I switched outputs and then it worked. The first output was exhibiting the same garbled sync. What is odd is the snes is the only system that doesn't work on output one. PS1, N64, Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast all work on output one, while the snes only was working on output 2.

Not sure what could be going on. Could it be that you ever tried NTSC SNES cable on a PAL console? If LED doesn't blink it means that switch detected the signal and is successfully forwarding it. It would be nice to borrow some other SNES / cable to try if anything changes. If other consoles are fine through the switch it's unlikely that it's damaged. SNES sync was a bit finicky when used on my Framemeister, I had to increase sync level on it, not sure if there is something like this on OSSC.
Another thing to mention: if there is no signal on your SNES when you toggle CSYNC/OFF sync regeneration is means that something is not right. The original SNES (as well as properly modded SNES Mini) is correctly forwarded in both sync regeneration and passthrough modes.
KonradKlaus

Post by KonradKlaus »

superg wrote:

Not sure what could be going on. Could it be that you ever tried NTSC SNES cable on a PAL console? If LED doesn't blink it means that switch detected the signal and is successfully forwarding it. It would be nice to borrow some other SNES / cable to try if anything changes. If other consoles are fine through the switch it's unlikely that it's damaged. SNES sync was a bit finicky when used on my Framemeister, I had to increase sync level on it, not sure if there is something like this on OSSC.
Another thing to mention: if there is no signal on your SNES when you toggle CSYNC/OFF sync regeneration is means that something is not right. The original SNES (as well as properly modded SNES Mini) is correctly forwarded in both sync regeneration and passthrough modes.
Thanks for all the quick replies; it is super odd. Everything is NTSC, but yeah, it should work with the in either mode. I am going to keep playing with it (my time is limited with a little one). The OSSC works fine in output 2 and with it directly plugged in. I'll see what I can do about trying a different cable.
JimmyRetroGamer

Post by JimmyRetroGamer »

Not sure if this has been asked yet, and apologies if it has.

Just wanted to find out from SuperG if it is possible to pay extra and have a Gscartsw-lite or GComp sent via courier instead of regular postal service when I buy either of the 2 Switchers?

Reason for asking is because our postal service in South Africa absolutely sucks and if they don't lose the packagea they will probably damage it.
superg

Post by superg »

JimmyRetroGamer wrote:Not sure if this has been asked yet, and apologies if it has.

Just wanted to find out from SuperG if it is possible to pay extra and have a Gscartsw-lite or GComp sent via courier instead of regular postal service when I buy either of the 2 Switchers?

Reason for asking is because our postal service in South Africa absolutely sucks and if they don't lose the packagea they will probably damage it.
What about just using proxy shipping service? I know some people from Middle East countries are getting the switches this way.
cook99

Post by cook99 »

Probably a dumb question but can the VGA out on the v3.4 go into the VGA input of an OSSC?
Reason I ask is that RetroRGB says the output isn't an RGB signal so I don't want to fry anything.
Goal is to have scart out to framemeister and VGA out to OSSC similtanously since I have v3.4 and not the lite.
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

Yes you can use the VGA out on the gscartsw for your OSSC. I'm pretty sure the output is regular RGB.
I myself have the scart output go to crt tv and the vga output go to OSSC. I had some slight color and sync issues though, which I didn't have when I hooked up scart to OSSC.
superg

Post by superg »

cook99 wrote:Probably a dumb question but can the VGA out on the v3.4 go into the VGA input of an OSSC?
Reason I ask is that RetroRGB says the output isn't an RGB signal so I don't want to fry anything.
Goal is to have scart out to framemeister and VGA out to OSSC similtanously since I have v3.4 and not the lite.
Yes you can do it but v3.4 VGA is not a regular VGA in a sense that it carry low resolution and monitor compatibility is not so great.
superg

Post by superg »

New gscartsw_lite units are here, I will spend some time testing and assembling the cases and then will make an announcement when it will be available for purchase.
hawaplop

Post by hawaplop »

superg wrote:New gscartsw_lite units are here, I will spend some time testing and assembling the cases and then will make an announcement when it will be available for purchase.
First, you get the money. When you get the money, then you get the power. When you get the power, then you get the wom....gscartsw lite!
ShoothimNow

Post by ShoothimNow »

Really hope I make it to get one, thanks man.
loukey

Post by loukey »

ShoothimNow wrote:Really hope I make it to get one, thanks man.
You and me both
JimmyRetroGamer

Post by JimmyRetroGamer »

superg wrote:
JimmyRetroGamer wrote:Not sure if this has been asked yet, and apologies if it has.

What about just using proxy shipping service? I know some people from Middle East countries are getting the switches this way.

How much more does it cost and how would I notify you that I would like proxy Shipping or courier service?
superg

Post by superg »

JimmyRetroGamer wrote:
superg wrote:

How much more does it cost and how would I notify you that I would like proxy Shipping or courier service?
I was talking about services like https://www.shipito.com. You don't have to notify me, just order it and ship to their US office, then they ship it to you.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I remember reading somewhere that there was something special about port 8 but I can’t remember what it was or find that info.
Also, if you have 2 different signals in at the same time
1 can it do damage?
2 how does it decide which takes priority to display?
mjs0686

Post by mjs0686 »

LDigital wrote:I remember reading somewhere that there was something special about port 8 but I can’t remember what it was or find that info.
1 can it do damage?
No ports are special on the new gscart lite units.

It won't do damage to have more than one input port on at the same time. It just stays with the already active one if another port becomes active.
emister

Post by emister »

Hi there, new to this forum!

I'm writing here to see if it's still possible to purchase the "gscartsw_lite" RGB SCART switches anywhere (or order one?) and if so, how.

Any information on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
superg

Post by superg »

emister wrote:Hi there, new to this forum!

I'm writing here to see if it's still possible to purchase the "gscartsw_lite" RGB SCART switches anywhere (or order one?) and if so, how.

Thanks!
Read the first post of this topic.
emister

Post by emister »

superg wrote:
emister wrote:Hi there, new to this forum!

Thanks!
Read the first post of this topic.
My apologies for missing that, thanks for the reply!
Orrimarrko

Post by Orrimarrko »

Can't wait! Need two of these puppies!!
Orrimarrko on: sega-naomi.com, neo-geo.com, nintendoage.com, atariage.com, cheapassgamer.com, and digitpress.com

No_anchovies on ebay
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

mjs0686 wrote:
LDigital wrote:I remember reading somewhere that there was something special about port 8 but I can’t remember what it was or find that info.
1 can it do damage?

It won't do damage to have more than one input port on at the same time. It just stays with the already active one if another port becomes active.
Ah I have the 3.4. Was there something special with 3.4 port 8? Do the same answers apply?

Is there a port that will override all others?
Last edited by LDigital on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superg

Post by superg »

LDigital wrote:
mjs0686 wrote:
1 can it do damage?

Ah I have the 3.4. Was there something special with 3.4 port 8? Do the same answers apply?
Port 8 is the default forwarding port if nothing else is turned off. This is a side effect of v3.4 design. Lite unit doesn't have such port. Everything else is the same.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

So if I had a live signal in port 7 and also port 8, port 8 would always override and display? Am I understanding that correctly?
superg

Post by superg »

LDigital wrote:So if I had a live signal in port 7 and also port 8, port 8 would always override and display? Am I understanding that correctly?
Not quite, let's say you have PS2 in VGA mode which doesn't output sync on composite SCART pin but rather on green channel, gscartsw doesn't detect such signal. Now if you connect PS2 to input 8 and nothing else is turned on, PS2 in VGA mode on port 8 will be properly forwarded to your TV.
Now about v3.4 priority: when more than one device is turned on, the priority is fixed and input 1 > input 2 > ... > input 8. [but lite stays on the first detected input]
superg

Post by superg »

Guys, I plan to open gscartsw_lite orders on February 26. I want to fully assemble every unit before as this way it will be shipped fast and I won't get "where is my order" questions. The usual time, 10:00am EST.
ShoothimNow

Post by ShoothimNow »

thank you for letting us know =)
Orrimarrko

Post by Orrimarrko »

Awesome!
Orrimarrko on: sega-naomi.com, neo-geo.com, nintendoage.com, atariage.com, cheapassgamer.com, and digitpress.com

No_anchovies on ebay