gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

bboudreaux28 wrote:I apologize if this has been asked before but I have a mixture of ypbpr and RGB sources. Would it be possible to use these component sources in the gscart (along with my RGB sources) via a simple passive adapter like

The gscart would then output to a OSSC, which can handle both RGB and component via scart, so this shouldn't be an issue on the output end.

I suspect the answer is "no" but I thought I would ask. Thanks!
gscartsw v5.2 will work because it supports sync on green and component signal is like that. Not sure how OSSC will handle that because sync from green is "duplicated" on SCART sync pin and I personally didn't test it. Also I think somebody is using the switch like that.
The Core Affect

Post by The Core Affect »

Hi There. This is my first post. I am just confirming the wait time for the gscartsw to ship. Are you still looking at mid-July? Thanks!
muzzopolto

Post by muzzopolto »

Apologies mods if I already submitted a reply, I'm not sure I actually submitted it.

Hi superg, I placed an order for a gcompsw on your website via paypal and when I was redirected to your site, it told me order cancelled instead of order placed. Is this a bug that happens sometimes or was my order cancelled for some reason? According to paypal the money has been paid out. Thanks a bunch!
bboudreaux28

Post by bboudreaux28 »

superg wrote:
bboudreaux28 wrote:I apologize if this has been asked before but I have a mixture of ypbpr and RGB sources. Would it be possible to use these component sources in the gscart (along with my RGB sources) via a simple passive adapter like

The gscart would then output to a OSSC, which can handle both RGB and component via scart, so this shouldn't be an issue on the output end.

I suspect the answer is "no" but I thought I would ask. Thanks!
gscartsw v5.2 will work because it supports sync on green and component signal is like that. Not sure how OSSC will handle that because sync from green is "duplicated" on SCART sync pin and I personally didn't test it. Also I think somebody is using the switch like that.
Thanks superg. I really appreciate all the work you do.
superg

Post by superg »

The Core Affect wrote:Hi There. This is my first post. I am just confirming the wait time for the gscartsw to ship. Are you still looking at mid-July? Thanks!
I wanna say second part of July is most likely.
muzzopolto wrote:Apologies mods if I already submitted a reply, I'm not sure I actually submitted it.

Hi superg, I placed an order for a gcompsw on your website via paypal and when I was redirected to your site, it told me order cancelled instead of order placed. Is this a bug that happens sometimes or was my order cancelled for some reason? According to paypal the money has been paid out. Thanks a bunch!
That happens sometimes. If you see the actual paypal transaction - it's all good.
Mattkuo

Post by Mattkuo »

Hi Superg,

I love my gscart it is well made, however I did have a question.

Should I be worried or concern about leaving it powered "on" all the time or should I consider turning the power off to the surge protector that it is plugged into?

I have been running it with power for over a year without issues but I am wondering if I should reconsider this.

Thank you.
Mattkuo

Post by Mattkuo »

Hi Superg,

Hope all is well.

I love my gscart and will buy a gcomp as well soon.

I had a question about the power consumption is there any problems leaving it plugged in and running all the time?

Should I consider plugging the gcomp/gscart into a surge protector and turning the power off when not in used?

I had mine running for over a year but I wanted to get clarification on this.

Thank you!
superg

Post by superg »

Mattkuo wrote:Hi Superg,
Hope all is well.
I love my gscart and will buy a gcomp as well soon.
I had a question about the power consumption is there any problems leaving it plugged in and running all the time?
Should I consider plugging the gcomp/gscart into a surge protector and turning the power off when not in used?
I had mine running for over a year but I wanted to get clarification on this.
Thank you!
You can keep it on all the time, mine are on for years.
RTKurek

Post by RTKurek »

Hey superg, just wanted to say thanks for making such an awesome product! I've been using both a gscartsw and gcompsw for a while without any issues at all. Keep up the good work! :)
superg

Post by superg »

RTKurek wrote:Hey superg, just wanted to say thanks for making such an awesome product! I've been using both a gscartsw and gcompsw for a while without any issues at all. Keep up the good work! :)
Thanks, I appreciate it!
cjohnsonwayneco

Post by cjohnsonwayneco »

Oh man, you guys are getting me so filled with anticipation to get my two gscarts and one gcomp that I ordered. Being on COVID lockdown here in Michigan for what seems like forever now has me itching to get all my systems hooked up at once and running. These switches look so awesome.
superg

Post by superg »

cjohnsonwayneco wrote:Oh man, you guys are getting me so filled with anticipation to get my two gscarts and one gcomp that I ordered. Being on COVID lockdown here in Michigan for what seems like forever now has me itching to get all my systems hooked up at once and running. These switches look so awesome.
It's getting better here in Michigan, the ETA is late July, I hope there will be no restrictions at that time. :)
Healer_LFG

Post by Healer_LFG »

Hello all, first post here.
Sorry if this has been answered before, I combed through the thread and didn't find it, and the search didn't turn up any results.

Does the gscartsw/gcompsw support TTL levels of sync, or only 75ohm? I have a capture card that wants TTL as an input. I am currently researching if the rest of my chain can handle TTL (BVM-D14H5U + BKM 129x). I know the cables will have to carry the TTL levels too, and I'm looking into that separately.
cjohnsonwayneco

Post by cjohnsonwayneco »

Great! You are also in Michigan. I’ll just stop by this weekend and pick up my switches. Think of all that savings you’ll get on shipping. :lol:
megatron-uk

Post by megatron-uk »

Reactivated my ancient account here just to say I'm really, really pleased with my recently acquired gscartsw 5.2.

I've tested it successfully with the following:

Atari STe 520 (PAL + RGB Scart)
Atari Jaguar (PAL + RGB Scart)
Amiga 500 (PAL + RGB Scart)
BBC Master 128 (RGB Scart)
Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128k +2 'grey' (PAL + RGB Scart)
Nintendo Gamecube (PAL + RGB Scart)
Nintendo SNES (PAL SNSP-001A + RGB Scart)
SEGA Master System Powerbase (PAL + RGB Scart)
SEGA MegaDrive 1 (PAL + RGB Scart)
SEGA Saturn (PAL + RGB Scart)
Sony MSX HB-FX1DJ (NTSC + RGB Scart)

Cables are nothing special - a mix of original manufacturer cables, cheap aftermarket and some branded stuff from Retro Computer Shack. The only ones that wouldn't work were some really old Sega MD cables without the standard resistor and capacitor internals.

I'm still to test a PAL NeoGeo AES, Amstrad CPC464 and an original white PC-Engine (via a Super SD System from the recently announced new batch).

The only problem I have is that it's replacing another scart switch (naming no names here) which I couldn't get to sync with most of the above, so I now need another gscartw in order to have enough ports!!!
daihashi

Post by daihashi »

jboner1058 wrote:L2 has the short. All the others light up just fine. Getting closer
I know this was posted a month ago, but hoping you can clarify something for me since I decided to roll the dice and bought a "dead" gscartsw on eBay.

When you tested to see if LEDs would blink/come on, was that before or after you desoldered L2-L4 and L6-L8? Thanks!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
superg

Post by superg »

daihashi wrote:
jboner1058 wrote:L2 has the short. All the others light up just fine. Getting closer
I know this was posted a month ago, but hoping you can clarify something for me since I decided to roll the dice and bought a "dead" gscartsw on eBay.

When you tested to see if LEDs would blink/come on, was that before or after you desoldered L2-L4 and L6-L8? Thanks!

First of all the elements to unsolder depend on the switch version, I can try to help you with that. The beads in question have to be unsoldered before power on test, all this does is cut off power to all multiplexers to make sure Altera IC is alive.
daihashi

Post by daihashi »

superg wrote:
daihashi wrote:

First of all the elements to unsolder depend on the switch version, I can try to help you with that. The beads in question have to be unsoldered before power on test, all this does is cut off power to all multiplexers to make sure Altera IC is alive.
Thanks. The seller says it's the latest revision, but I question that. I'll wait until I receive the item to confirm what version it actually is.

superg

Post by superg »

Healer_LFG wrote:Hello all, first post here.
Sorry if this has been answered before, I combed through the thread and didn't find it, and the search didn't turn up any results.

Does the gscartsw/gcompsw support TTL levels of sync, or only 75ohm? I have a capture card that wants TTL as an input. I am currently researching if the rest of my chain can handle TTL (BVM-D14H5U + BKM 129x). I know the cables will have to carry the TTL levels too, and I'm looking into that separately.
The switch will output 75ohm terminated csync. But there is a high chance that the card will accept that.
Healer_LFG

Post by Healer_LFG »

superg wrote:
Healer_LFG wrote:Hello all, first post here.

The switch will output 75ohm terminated csync. But there is a high chance that the card will accept that.
Negative, Datapath Vision E1S. Lots of sources saying it's TTL only. Specifically stating that 75ohm is a no-go
superg

Post by superg »

Healer_LFG wrote: Negative, Datapath Vision E1S. Lots of sources saying it's TTL only. Specifically stating that 75ohm is a no-go
Well, in this case I can't help much. You might need some external device which will bring 75ohm terminated sync signal to TTL.
Healer_LFG

Post by Healer_LFG »

superg wrote:
Healer_LFG wrote: Negative, Datapath Vision E1S. Lots of sources saying it's TTL only. Specifically stating that 75ohm is a no-go
Well, in this case I can't help much. You might need some external device which will bring 75ohm terminated sync signal to TTL.
Yeah, I've read that a scart cleaner like SCART2DVI can do this, but that particular device only supports 240p/480i. My xbox, gamecube and ps2 can put out higher than a 15khz signal. Is it possible to special order a gscartsw/gcompsw that supports TTL?
superg

Post by superg »

Healer_LFG wrote:
superg wrote:
Yeah, I've read that a scart cleaner like SCART2DVI can do this, but that particular device only supports 240p/480i. My xbox, gamecube and ps2 can put out higher than a 15khz signal. Is it possible to special order a gscartsw/gcompsw that supports TTL?
No.
sixtysixdutch

Post by sixtysixdutch »

Any update on an ETA for the next round of gscartsw 5.2?
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

@superg, I'm trying to use the EXT header on my gscartsw v5.2.
Pin 1: GND
Pin 2: Override
Pin 3: N/C
Pin 4: +5V
Pin 5: IN_BIT0
Pin 6: IN_BIT1
Pin 7: IN_BIT2
Pin 8: N/C

Pin 5-7 represents selected input in binary.
When I look at pin 5 on my oscilliscope I see it going from 3.3v to 0v and back to 3.3v every 12ms or so. Is this normal? I don't have any scart devices connected at the moment but I was expecting to see 0v.
Larsen B

Post by Larsen B »

Hey superg. Can I cancel a back order?
superg

Post by superg »

sofakng wrote:@superg, I'm trying to use the EXT header on my gscartsw v5.2.
Pin 1: GND
Pin 2: Override
Pin 3: N/C
Pin 4: +5V
Pin 5: IN_BIT0
Pin 6: IN_BIT1
Pin 7: IN_BIT2
Pin 8: N/C

Pin 5-7 represents selected input in binary.
When I look at pin 5 on my oscilliscope I see it going from 3.3v to 0v and back to 3.3v every 12ms or so. Is this normal? I don't have any scart devices connected at the moment but I was expecting to see 0v.
This is by design as the switch is cycling the inputs when no signal is found.
Gurpegui

Post by Gurpegui »

Hi, latest news i had from my gscartsw's tracking are from May 9, i know that there is a delay because COVID but should i start to worry? :|
Gurpegui

Post by Gurpegui »

Hi, latest news i had from my gscartsw's tracking are from May 9, i know that there is a delay because COVID but should i start to worry? :|
ChernoChez

Post by ChernoChez »

Hey Superg,

I ordered my GScart 28th of April, and it was mailed by you on the 2nd of May.
This package was shipped internationally to the Netherlands.
As of today I have recieved no package or updates on the proces.
Do you know if this is normal (maybe mailing is way slower due to the corona) or did something go wrong?

Kind regards,

Thijs