gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TorgoPSN

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by TorgoPSN »

superg wrote:I'm opening the new gscartsw pre-orders in a week from now, August 27. As always, it will be available through gretrostuff.com, later this week I'll update the terms and post more details about how I will be manufacturing these. This is technically a continuation of gscartsw_lite but not to confuse everybody even more I will be calling it gscartsw (v5.1).
THANK YOU! I was starting to look at other options since cabling is getting messy now. Can't wait!
Rev

Post by Rev »

I have been doing some searching online and found that I'm not the only one who has experienced PC Engine Duo incompatibility with my gscartsw lite. I have tried connecting it directly to my tv and through my framemeister and there are zero problems. I think the issue is the gscartsw isn't recognizing the signal so it doesn't switch to any of the ports that I hook it into... I've tried ports 1 and 8, which I heard that resolved the issue for older versions of the gscartsw. Does anyone know a fix for this? Will the new gscartsw resolve this issue?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Rev wrote:I have been doing some searching online and found that I'm not the only one who has experienced PC Engine Duo incompatibility with my gscartsw lite. I have tried connecting it directly to my tv and through my framemeister and there are zero problems. I think the issue is the gscartsw isn't recognizing the signal so it doesn't switch to any of the ports that I hook it into... I've tried ports 1 and 8, which I heard that resolved the issue for older versions of the gscartsw. Does anyone know a fix for this? Will the new gscartsw resolve this issue?
Are you using composite video or an rgb mod?
If composite, have you tried turning off sync regeneration? I'm pretty sure this wipes out composite video by design.
If RGB modded, I believe the most common cause is the specific RGB mod being out of spec. I've RGB modded my supergrafx using voultar's board and it's worked flawlessly for me with my gscartsw setup. And I'm 90% sure the supergrafx and PC Engine Duo use the same video chip.

Which port you use will have no effect on the lite and newer versions.

While there's always a possibility the new unit will handle out of spec mods differently. It's a roll of the dice whether that fixes or breaks out of spec devices.
Rev

Post by Rev »

Thanks I appreciate the information. I have an RGB mod on my PC Engine Duo R. I got my mod through oldskoolconsoles and works great but I guess that it must by out of sync.
sphiend

Post by sphiend »

Anyone have any experience using an early model NeoGeo AES through a gscartsw? I’ve purchased a used gscartsw version 3.2 but when I receive it, I’m hesitant to connect the AES as I suspect it may have sync issues. After reading that some superguns were frying these, I don’t want to blow my new switcher. I’ve no way to measure signal/voltage to be sure. I get some warping at the top of the screen when directly connected to a BVM.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

superg wrote:
jd213 wrote:I'm using the gcompsw to switch between multiple RGBS sources (using the composite inputs/output for sync), and it appears that the gcompsw doesn't pass the RGBS output from this PC Engine RGB adaptor that I got from Yahoo Japan: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n282054390

RGBS from other consoles (using a JP21>BNC adapter + BNC-RCA adapters) works OK, though.

Noting this as a curiosity, not a complaint. I'm well aware that I'm not using the gcompsw for its intended purpose. Guess I'll have to try other component switches or just have to get behind my PVM and manually switch the cables every time I play my PC Engine. I would get one of those huge BNC switchboxes If I had more room and they weren't so expensive to ship to Japan...
Don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. Does the switch led blinks when you turn on your PC Engine using this adapter?
Thanks for the response, and sorry for the late follow-up (had to get behind my PVM and switch the cables). Yes, it blinks quickly about 3 times, then stays on.
beast1x5

Post by beast1x5 »

sphiend wrote:Anyone have any experience using an early model NeoGeo AES through a gscartsw? I’ve purchased a used gscartsw version 3.2 but when I receive it, I’m hesitant to connect the AES as I suspect it may have sync issues. After reading that some superguns were frying these, I don’t want to blow my new switcher. I’ve no way to measure signal/voltage to be sure. I get some warping at the top of the screen when directly connected to a BVM.

You'll be fine dude.. I play my AES on my pvm20L5 and ossc when streaming , it works great
samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

sphiend wrote:Anyone have any experience using an early model NeoGeo AES through a gscartsw? I’ve purchased a used gscartsw version 3.2 but when I receive it, I’m hesitant to connect the AES as I suspect it may have sync issues. After reading that some superguns were frying these, I don’t want to blow my new switcher. I’ve no way to measure signal/voltage to be sure. I get some warping at the top of the screen when directly connected to a BVM.
That warping at the top of the screen is probably the same problem I had and could very well be related to your sync instability. Some models of AES had a poorly designed video amp. If you replace the video out capacitors with higher-rated capacitors and the resistors with proper 75-ohm resistors the warping and sync instability will probably go away. If you look at the "Capacitor Lists" here https://console5.com/wiki/Neo_Geo_AES and the image here: https://console5.com/wiki/File:NEO-AES-Cap-Map.png it'll tell you specifically which ones. I did this and it fixed my stability issues completely and I've been using it through a gscartsw for about 2 years now.
Last edited by samson7point1 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superg

Post by superg »

coderkind wrote:superg would it be possible to outline what's new with the upcoming gscartsw (differences between the gscartsw_lite 1.0) on the first page of this thread? Or somewhere else easy to locate? I *think* I know what's coming in the new version, but would be good to confirm without trawling through the thread comments.
I'm currently working on a new order page for the upcoming gscartsw, everything will be there.
samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

superg wrote:
coderkind wrote:superg would it be possible to outline what's new with the upcoming gscartsw (differences between the gscartsw_lite 1.0) on the first page of this thread? Or somewhere else easy to locate? I *think* I know what's coming in the new version, but would be good to confirm without trawling through the thread comments.
I'm currently working on a new order page for the upcoming gscartsw, everything will be there.
I thought I read somewhere what time you were planning on enabling pre-orders but I can't seem to find it. Was that just my imagination?
superg

Post by superg »

samson7point1 wrote: I thought I read somewhere what time you were planning on enabling pre-orders but I can't seem to find it. Was that just my imagination?
Yes, it's a pre-order, it will be live later today, I'm currently working on it.
samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

superg wrote:
samson7point1 wrote: I thought I read somewhere what time you were planning on enabling pre-orders but I can't seem to find it. Was that just my imagination?
Yes, it's a pre-order, it will be live later today, I'm currently working on it.
Sorry, I meant what time of the day - i.e. 12:00 PM EST or something like that.
superg

Post by superg »

samson7point1 wrote:
superg wrote:
Sorry, I meant what time of the day - i.e. 12:00 PM EST or something like that.
My evening which is around 8pm EST.
I will keep it open, to all European / Australian folks - please get some sleep and come tomorrow!
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

Thank you for letting us know the preorder start time. I was pressing F5 every 15 minutes in anticipation of getting my first scart switch.
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

samson7point1 wrote:
That warping at the top of the screen is probably the same problem I had and could very well be related to your sync instability. Some models of AES had a poorly designed video amp. If you replace the video out capacitors with higher-rated capacitors and the resistors with proper 75-ohm resistors the warping and sync instability will probably go away. If you look at the "Capacitor Lists" here https://console5.com/wiki/Neo_Geo_AES and the image here: https://console5.com/wiki/File:NEO-AES-Cap-Map.png it'll tell you specifically which ones. I did this and it fixed my stability issues completely and I've been using it through a gscartsw for about 2 years now.
some models of aes also tie the composite video and csync together.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Dazdigo wrote:Thank you for letting us know the preorder start time. I was pressing F5 every 15 minutes in anticipation of getting my first scart switch.
Same here :mrgreen:
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
superg

Post by superg »

I updated gretrostuff.com with the latest terms and information (http://www.gretrostuff.com/store/gscartsw/), please let me know if something is not clear or missing.
Will enable pre-order paypal button at 8PM EST.
TorgoPSN

Post by TorgoPSN »

superg wrote:I updated gretrostuff.com with the latest terms and information (http://www.gretrostuff.com/store/gscartsw/), please let me know if something is not clear or missing.
Very excited!
slerch666

Post by slerch666 »

My only question is, I can't really afford the price at the moment. How long will you have this open? If it's only a few days, I will beg borrow and steal to get the money and get one ordered. :D
Aero-R

Post by Aero-R »

superg wrote:I updated gretrostuff.com with the latest terms and information (http://www.gretrostuff.com/store/gscartsw/), please let me know if something is not clear or missing.
Hello superg, first of all thank you for all your support and contribution to the community with this your project.

I've been reading this thread for the past 4 weeks. I'm no expert on "Sync on Green" technology so I don't know if this is much better than the previous models, but I always wanted a SCART switch and always loved your model, but it was discontinued... and now seems to be a perfect opportunity to get one. I've the full amount here (220 USD + 30 USD for its international shipping to Spain), and I just have one single doubt... on the info page you state the next text...
Now about the current batch, I will split it into two, one will be small and then it will go full scale. That is needed to double check everything. As some of you probably know, I’ve ran a prototype SoG batch where most functionality was tested however I found out that the prototype Altera FPGA IC is too small to handle SoG on HD resolutions. The current design has larger Altera and as a consequence I added more features (and returned EXT header which is removed from the current prototype units). I’m 98% sure it will be allright but I’m not going to risk with this. Simply what it means is that for most people it will take longer than one batch to get their unit. I’ll try to pay more and expedite the process with manufacturer for the first “sub-batch” but at this moment I’m not sure how much time it’ll save. Anyways I always update the support thread with information so you will know what’s going on.
That said I ask everybody, please think twice about making the order, make sure you’ve read and understand everything.
The sentence on bold confuses me. It can be understood one way or the other... so I wanted to ask you which way is the want you meant:

1.- Do you suggest to think twice about placing the order because of to the new changes in design there's a 2% that we receive a gscartsw that doesn't works perfectly or as expected, being it one of the first units built? (some kind of alpha version).

or

2.- Do you suggest to think twice about placing the order because due to your desire to check everything built before shipping, our units can be not the first made in China but later units you recieve?

I would like to pre-order today and I wouldn't mind if it takes 9 weeks or 15 weeks to receive my unit because I understand it's a slow process, but what makes me doubt is the idea of me receiving an unit that because of being one of the first produced, has some glitches or small non-perfect finish. Let me know which one of the two ideas is the one you meant. I just want to be safe with the idea that if I place the preorder, no matter if it takes 2 or 3 months, what I get is a 100% perfect working design.

Thanks in advance for your time and support on this matter.
ViraLicious

Post by ViraLicious »

Am I missing something or shouldn't the new version support YPbPr for component passthrough?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

ViraLicious wrote:Am I missing something or shouldn't the new version support YPbPr for component passthrough?
If you look back a few pages you will see it has been discussed in depth. Yes, YPbPr component will work just fine with the new gscartsw (with custom cables or adapters and the dip switches set correctly).
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

superg wrote:please let me know if something is not clear or missing.
I'd like to upgrade for the new RGsB and input protection features. Can you definitively state that the VGA port and 1/8 inch audio port are gone for good? I use both of those in my current setup (VGA port in RGBS mode not RGBHV mode). With the new gscartsw dual SCART output design, I'd need to replace my cables. Not a deal breaker. But I will wait if you are planning a gscartsw deluxe with VGA and audio ports.
-the Goat
ViraLicious

Post by ViraLicious »

the Goat wrote:
ViraLicious wrote:Am I missing something or shouldn't the new version support YPbPr for component passthrough?
If you look back a few pages you will see it has been discussed in depth. Yes, YPbPr component will work just fine with the new gscartsw (with custom cables or adapters and the dip switches set correctly).
That's great. :) I thought it might perhaps be something superg forgot to add or so. :)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

the Goat wrote:
superg wrote:please let me know if something is not clear or missing.
I'd like to upgrade for the new RGsB and input protection features. Can you definitively state that the VGA port and 1/8 inch audio port are gone for good? I use both of those in my current setup (VGA port in RGBS mode not RGBHV mode). With the new gscartsw dual SCART output design, I'd need to replace my cables. Not a deal breaker. But I will wait if you are planning a gscartsw deluxe with VGA and audio ports.
As I understand it, this new version of the gscartsw lacks the the DE-15 and TRS outputs, and there is no plan to bring them back.

What you get or replace depends on what you decide to do with your new gscartsw. Unless you absolutely need the RGsB->RGBS conversion, or you just want more than the 8 ports your setup already has, I really don't think you need the new switch.

If you do want either of those (and don't care about YPbPr passthrough), you could very well just leave the gscartsw you have now in its current position, then daisy-chain the new gscartsw to your old one. Maybe turn on RGsB->RGBS conversion on the new one if you need it. Then you can keep using the DE-15 output on your old switch.
superg

Post by superg »

slerch666 wrote:My only question is, I can't really afford the price at the moment. How long will you have this open? If it's only a few days, I will beg borrow and steal to get the money and get one ordered. :D
Will keep it open, as I explained it will be a "rolling" pre-order. I will announce in advance if and when I plan to close it.
Aero-R wrote:The sentence on bold confuses me. It can be understood one way or the other... so I wanted to ask you which way is the want you meant:

1.- Do you suggest to think twice about placing the order because of to the new changes in design there's a 2% that we receive a gscartsw that doesn't works perfectly or as expected, being it one of the first units built? (some kind of alpha version).

or

2.- Do you suggest to think twice about placing the order because due to your desire to check everything built before shipping, our units can be not the first made in China but later units you recieve?

I would like to pre-order today and I wouldn't mind if it takes 9 weeks or 15 weeks to receive my unit because I understand it's a slow process, but what makes me doubt is the idea of me receiving an unit that because of being one of the first produced, has some glitches or small non-perfect finish. Let me know which one of the two ideas is the one you meant. I just want to be safe with the idea that if I place the preorder, no matter if it takes 2 or 3 months, what I get is a 100% perfect working design.

Thanks in advance for your time and support on this matter.
That all lengthy explanation was written just to explain how pre-orders work. Simply two things, if you pulled the trigger, don't ask for refund and be patient ;) - and make sure that your address is updated given the wait time, nothing else. No matter when you put in your order you will get the final version of the final product, please don't worry about that.
Oh, it supports it, I just didn't advertise it, should I? :) That functionality is kind of byproduct of sync-on-green. But the DIP switch setting will have to be in forwarding mode as otherwise it will extract sync.
the Goat wrote: I'd like to upgrade for the new RGsB and input protection features. Can you definitively state that the VGA port and 1/8 inch audio port are gone for good? I use both of those in my current setup (VGA port in RGBS mode not RGBHV mode). With the new gscartsw dual SCART output design, I'd need to replace my cables. Not a deal breaker. But I will wait if you are planning a gscartsw deluxe with VGA and audio ports.
Yeah, VGA is gone for good. The VGA support is incomplete in a sense that low VGA resolution is mostly unsupported on consumer equipment. The same is audio jack, audio is available on SCART output, audio breakout adapter solves that. I'm curious, why would you want separate 3.5 audio jack, what is your configuration?
nmalinoski wrote: If you do want either of those (and don't care about YPbPr passthrough), you could very well just leave the gscartsw you have now in its current position, then daisy-chain the new gscartsw to your old one. Maybe turn on RGsB->RGBS conversion on the new one if you need it. Then you can keep using the DE-15 output on your old switch.
This is well said. All v3.4 and lite units are fine and image quality is more or less the same, if it works for you, no need to upgrade. If you need new features and connecting some new equipment from time to time, you will definitely benefit from input protection.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

superg wrote:
the Goat wrote: I'd like to upgrade for the new RGsB and input protection features. Can you definitively state that the VGA port and 1/8 inch audio port are gone for good? I use both of those in my current setup (VGA port in RGBS mode not RGBHV mode). With the new gscartsw dual SCART output design, I'd need to replace my cables. Not a deal breaker. But I will wait if you are planning a gscartsw deluxe with VGA and audio ports.
Yeah, VGA is gone for good. The VGA support is incomplete in a sense that low VGA resolution is mostly unsupported on consumer equipment. The same is audio jack, audio is available on SCART output, audio breakout adapter solves that. I'm curious, why would you want separate 3.5 audio jack, what is your configuration?
Thanks for the clear answer. My setup has the gscartsw outputting to an extron crosspoint ultra via 23 foot (7 meter) VGA to BNC cable and a similar length 1/8 inch audio to RCA cable. I don't like seperate outputs any more then a single SCART to BNC + RCA, other than I already have these cables.
superg wrote:
nmalinoski wrote: If you do want either of those (and don't care about YPbPr passthrough), you could very well just leave the gscartsw you have now in its current position, then daisy-chain the new gscartsw to your old one. Maybe turn on RGsB->RGBS conversion on the new one if you need it. Then you can keep using the DE-15 output on your old switch.
This is well said. All v3.4 and lite units are fine and image quality is more or less the same, if it works for you, no need to upgrade. If you need new features and connecting some new equipment from time to time, you will definitely benefit from input protection.
True. I do not need to replace my working gscartsw. My PS2 and Gamecube are currently connected via YPbPr component through my extron crosspoint. My Sony BVM monitor accepts both RGB and YPbPr on the same port. So there is only one cable going from the crosspoint to the BVM. The RGsB->RGBS conversion on the new gscartsw would allow me to upgrade the PS2 output to RGB. A pretty minor upgrade and the gamecube will still be outputting YPbPr component. So I would not be gaining much I guess.

Edit: Also I'm looking to add some RGB modded consoles to the mix like my Turboduo RX, N64 and 3DO (none are modded yet). So I would enjoy having the input protection, just in case.
-the Goat
slerch666

Post by slerch666 »

superg wrote:
slerch666 wrote:My only question is, I can't really afford the price at the moment. How long will you have this open? If it's only a few days, I will beg borrow and steal to get the money and get one ordered. :D
Will keep it open, as I explained it will be a "rolling" pre-order. I will announce in advance if and when I plan to close it.
Perfect. I may still pull the trigger sooner over later given with PayPal there is the option to buy now, pay later w/ 0 interest for 6 months. Definitely more than enough time to pay this off and still receive it in a more timely fashion.

Just have to decide if I can't be patient...
superg

Post by superg »

Ok, it's open.

Post by 729 »

Just sent my payment in, yeeeeeeeeeeet.