gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

coderkind wrote: Probably related to the requested "VHS mode" which I think might've been integrated to some degree in the latest gscartsw (going by Master System comments earlier, which I think is another console with similar issues).

My gscartsw is still in transit, but eager to test it with my problematic PC Engine Duo.
Soundwave GI wrote:Got my gscartsw today and it’s fanatstic! Thanks for the hard work SuperG! One problem I’m having that’s not a fault of the switch is that my Turbo Duo isn’t detected. It’s the only console I own that I bought already RGB modded, so I’m assuming it’s potentially out of date. I didn’t open it up yet, but it works fine straight to the OSSC, but not through the switch. Any ideas before I go pulling it apart? Thanks!
Yeah, as everybody mentioned, PCE/TurboGrafx have problematic mods. But there are proper configurations which work for people. I myself have yet to get one, mod it and tell everybody what is proven to work.
GameLifter

Post by GameLifter »

superg wrote:
coderkind wrote: Probably related to the requested "VHS mode" which I think might've been integrated to some degree in the latest gscartsw (going by Master System comments earlier, which I think is another console with similar issues).

My gscartsw is still in transit, but eager to test it with my problematic PC Engine Duo.
Soundwave GI wrote:Got my gscartsw today and it’s fanatstic! Thanks for the hard work SuperG! One problem I’m having that’s not a fault of the switch is that my Turbo Duo isn’t detected. It’s the only console I own that I bought already RGB modded, so I’m assuming it’s potentially out of date. I didn’t open it up yet, but it works fine straight to the OSSC, but not through the switch. Any ideas before I go pulling it apart? Thanks!
Yeah, as everybody mentioned, PCE/TurboGrafx have problematic mods. But there are proper configurations which work for people. I myself have yet to get one, mod it and tell everybody what is proven to work.
Turning on sync regeneration with dip switch 1 as well as switching to my SCART to BNC cable that doesn't have the sync stripper built in fixed the sync issues I was having with my RGB modded PCE-Duo R. Mine is modded using one of the RGB circuits (don't know which one in particular) and the person I had mod mine had to do some other things to restore composite sync after it was removed for an s-video mod I had done by another modder before that (at least this is what I remember).
Soundwave GI

Post by Soundwave GI »

coderkind wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:
There may be something funny about PCE RGB output that doesn't play nice with SCART switches in general. I had the exact same issue recently with an RGB-modded Super CD Drive. It would work through the OSSC and directly hooked to a BVM, but not through two different SCART switches (non-gSCART switches though). This was one of the newest RGB amps available. In fact an ancient simple RGB amp I had on the PCE console did work, so the age of the RGB mod may not be the issue, but rather the type of amp board or sync used.
Probably related to the requested "VHS mode" which I think might've been integrated to some degree in the latest gscartsw (going by Master System comments earlier, which I think is another console with similar issues).

I’ll be curious to hear your findings if you’d be kind enough to post them here. I tried combinations of dip 1 and 3, not knowing exactly what the mod is. My Neo Geo, SNES, NES and X’Eye are all perfect in any scenario. Duo remains stubborn.
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

SuperG, just a feature request, but can you add the dip switch setting to the silkscreen of the PCB on future releases?

PS just got my gscartsw yesterday and it is working great.
superg

Post by superg »

Dazdigo wrote:SuperG, just a feature request, but can you add the dip switch setting to the silkscreen of the PCB on future releases?

I wanted to do it but the description is too long.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

superg wrote:
Dazdigo wrote:SuperG, just a feature request, but can you add the dip switch setting to the silkscreen of the PCB on future releases?

Perhaps etching or a decal on the acrylic?
superg

Post by superg »

nmalinoski wrote:
superg wrote:

Perhaps etching or a decal on the acrylic?
Can be an option but there is ongoing effort to shift distribution to SAG and metal case is currently being considered. We will see how that goes.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

superg wrote:Can be an option but there is ongoing effort to shift distribution to SAG and metal case is currently being considered. We will see how that goes.
Congratulations Superg!
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

superg wrote:. . . metal case is currently being considered.
Maybe it will turn out to be fine. But my gut reaction is switching to a metal case is a bad idea.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

the Goat wrote:
Maybe it will turn out to be fine. But my gut reaction is switching to a metal case is a bad idea.
But why? Not all of us want to disassemble our equipment to dust it. Additional cost, perhaps? In any case, I'm sure it will simply be an option.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

nmalinoski wrote:
the Goat wrote:
But why? Not all of us want to disassemble our equipment to dust it. Additional cost, perhaps? In any case, I'm sure it will simply be an option.
The current design looks a lot nicer than I imagine a metal box will look.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
superg

Post by superg »

the Goat wrote:Maybe it will turn out to be fine. But my gut reaction is switching to a metal case is a bad idea.
the Goat wrote:The current design looks a lot nicer than I imagine a metal box will look.
It will make the product look more professional than it currently is. Of course it's not everybody's cup of tea but the old case goes nowhere, I can publish the laser cut designs and parts right now.
Dazdigo

Post by Dazdigo »

I like the clear acrylic case since I like to see the components inside and it gives it a hobbyist feel.

If you start to sell acrylic etch front panels for the switches, I would love to buy that optional upgrade!
mrt95

Post by mrt95 »

Just wanting to say I got my switch and it's awesome! well worth the wait. Thanks again!
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Soundwave GI wrote:I’ll be curious to hear your findings if you’d be kind enough to post them here. I tried combinations of dip 1 and 3, not knowing exactly what the mod is. My Neo Geo, SNES, NES and X’Eye are all perfect in any scenario. Duo remains stubborn.
Sure; will do. My switch is out for delivery, so hopefully sometime this week. I think my PC Engine Duo R is originally a doujindance one (not that that necessarily means anything).
superg

Post by superg »

coderkind wrote:I think my PC Engine Duo R is originally a doujindance one (not that that necessarily means anything).
I heard that he improved his modding practices. Although that depends on when you got it from him. :)
KentaZX

Post by KentaZX »

I just got my switch in, thanks again for your hard work.
ClassicsRisingEnt

Post by ClassicsRisingEnt »

I received my switch in the mail today. I was very excited and it was well worth the wait. With my schedule, finding time to play games is difficult, and I don't want to spend too much time fussing with cables. Thank you for your service to the community, Mr. G. As well I thank you for your transparency each step of the way. It made a world of difference knowing exactly what was going on and when.
superg

Post by superg »

The last units are packed and ready for drop off tomorrow. Every order including January 30, 2019 is shipped.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

superg wrote:The last units are packed and ready for drop off tomorrow. Every order including January 30, 2019 is shipped.
Congrats. So I guess for the rest of us we're looking at a late May or early June shipping if all goes according to plan? :)
mathewbeall

Post by mathewbeall »

@superg - i got my second one today that I had ordered and got them all daisy chained up and working flawlessly!

Thanks again for an amazing product!

Matt
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Any chance of a baby gscartsw (3- to 4-input, single output) sometime in the future?
rigisme

Post by rigisme »

superg wrote:Can be an option but there is ongoing effort to shift distribution to SAG and metal case is currently being considered. We will see how that goes.
Wow! Definitely excited for how this could turn out!
Foxe

Post by Foxe »

superg wrote:The last units are packed and ready for drop off tomorrow. Every order including January 30, 2019 is shipped.
Woohoo! Got my shipping confirmation email. I'm pretty damn excited. Thanks again for working so hard on this.
superg

Post by superg »

nmalinoski wrote:Any chance of a baby gscartsw (3- to 4-input, single output) sometime in the future?
It's unlikely, will not be significantly cheaper and I doubt I can get a significant amount of pre orders to even order a batch.
Lux

Post by Lux »

Just received my switch. Everything's working fine except for my PAL Mega Drive which is making the green LED flash.
It's alternating no image and like two seconds of image+sound. Here's what my OSCC is showing, if it's of any help :
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/20 ... 201534.jpg
No problem when plugging the RGC stereo cable straight to my TV.
Arvid

Post by Arvid »

Got my switch today and just finished installing it now. I have a Master system, Mega Drive, SNES, PS1, PS2 and Amiga 1200 connected to it. I´m using a PVM 20L5 as my monitor.
Everything works great with the exception of the Mega Drive. When I turn it on the monitor says "No Sync" and the picture just rolls on the screen, the only color is green and black on the screen.
When I connect the Mega Drive directly to the monitor with no switch inbetween it works just fine. What could be the problem here?
superg

Post by superg »

Lux wrote:Just received my switch. Everything's working fine except for my PAL Mega Drive which is making the green LED flash.
It's alternating no image and like two seconds of image+sound. Here's what my OSCC is showing, if it's of any help :
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/20 ... 201534.jpg
No problem when plugging the RGC stereo cable straight to my TV.
Arvid wrote:Got my switch today and just finished installing it now. I have a Master system, Mega Drive, SNES, PS1, PS2 and Amiga 1200 connected to it. I´m using a PVM 20L5 as my monitor.
Everything works great with the exception of the Mega Drive. When I turn it on the monitor says "No Sync" and the picture just rolls on the screen, the only color is green and black on the screen.
When I connect the Mega Drive directly to the monitor with no switch inbetween it works just fine. What could be the problem here?
Did you try to enable sync regeneration? (DIP1)
Both models of my PAL mega drive consoles just work (composite sync scart cable).
Arvid

Post by Arvid »

superg wrote:Did you try to enable sync regeneration? (DIP1)
Both models of my PAL mega drive consoles just work (composite sync scart cable).
Yes, tried all the DIP switches 1 by 1 just to see if that helped. My MD is also modded with a switch to alternate between PAL and NTSC output and the same thing happens in both positions.
superg

Post by superg »

Arvid wrote:
superg wrote:Did you try to enable sync regeneration? (DIP1)
Yes, tried all the DIP switches 1 by 1 just to see if that helped. My MD is also modded with a switch to alternate between PAL and NTSC output and the same thing happens in both positions.
This is clearly a sync issue. Could be incorrect mod or cable. I get that console works when connected directly but this is not an indication that everything is good from the console side. PVM has much wider tolerances for sync and RGB levels.