gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Taiyaki

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by Taiyaki »

ldeveraux wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:Question for SuperG, but is it possible to use any mini usb to usb wall charger for the gscartsw, or is that not recommended? I was thinking of combining it into a single wall adapter along with the rgb2comp, which is flexible at using any wall charger apparently. If this isn't recommended then I won't attempt it however.
This was asked and answered about a month or so back.
Thank you. Looked back but it didn't seem to be the exact question (the one I saw was asking about gscartsw + gcomp), but if I understand correctly since both the newer gscartsw from a few years ago and the rgb2comp use micro usb, it should be ok?
superg

Post by superg »

Taiyaki wrote:Question for SuperG, but is it possible to use any mini usb to usb wall charger for the gscartsw, or is that not recommended? I was thinking of combining it into a single wall adapter along with the rgb2comp, which is flexible at using any wall charger apparently. If this isn't recommended then I won't attempt it however.
Yes if it's the switch version with native MicroUSB (not barrel jack).
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

superg wrote:
Yes if it's the switch version with native MicroUSB (not barrel jack).
Thank you! Yes my more recent scartsw is the one with native MicroUSB.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Taiyaki wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
This was asked and answered about a month or so back.
Thank you. Looked back but it didn't seem to be the exact question (the one I saw was asking about gscartsw + gcomp), but if I understand correctly since both the newer gscartsw from a few years ago and the rgb2comp use micro usb, it should be ok?
Man, I submitted before actually giving the answer! Sorry about that!
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

ldeveraux wrote:Man, I submitted before actually giving the answer! Sorry about that!
No problem. Fortunately Superg confirmed it works. Those Micro USB connectors are so practical.
superg

Post by superg »

Guys, I will be phasing out my courtesy repair services, that includes everything that is user faults and older units. I always tried to help the best I can and I never charged the "real" repair price, only the components and shipping. I was trying to stay on top of things but turned out that's not enough for some people. I'm getting insulted privately and people are constantly testing my limits. I'm often getting switches for the repair where it's a clear 100% user fault and user damage and when I communicate about that I'm getting all the heat. People want free stuff, people want free time and full refunds! Switches don't usually die by themselves and this is a niche market.
It might be that from now on I will not be selling anything directly. Everything will be handled through CastleMania Games and warranty terms will likely be updated to be more realistic. This topic will be eventually closed. I'm tired.
eatnooM

Post by eatnooM »

Sorry to hear you've been getting grief over support, superg - you've been great with me!

Since I left a bit of a loose end in the thread (as superg has been helping me in DMs), I now think my gscartsw is fine but the TV I'm using is introducing some sort of noise; if I plug my audio breakout into the switch without the TV attached, audio stays perfect. Also, my longer and less-shielded cable results in less audio interference, which is a bit fishy.

I'm waiting on getting my crappy SCART->HDMI converter back from a friend in a couple of weeks so i can verify whether my problem is "the TV messes things up" or "plugging the SCART into anything messes things up". Hopefully, everything works fine with this and I have both a perfectly functional gscartsw and a great excuse to upgrade my 14" CRT to something more in the 20" region!
eightbitminiboss

Post by eightbitminiboss »

superg wrote:Guys, I will be phasing out my courtesy repair services, that includes everything that is user faults and older units. I always tried to help the best I can and I never charged the "real" repair price, only the components and shipping. I was trying to stay on top of things but turned out that's not enough for some people. I'm getting insulted privately and people are constantly testing my limits. I'm often getting switches for the repair where it's a clear 100% user fault and user damage and when I communicate about that I'm getting all the heat. People want free stuff, people want free time and full refunds! Switches don't usually die by themselves and this is a niche market.
It might be that from now on I will not be selling anything directly. Everything will be handled through CastleMania Games and warranty terms will likely be updated to be more realistic. This topic will be eventually closed. I'm tired.
May not mean much, but I'm still rolling with one of your 2014 era switches I got from you from the Assemblergames forum. Never had a problem and has always been up to the task. People suck.
daty2k1

Post by daty2k1 »

This is incredibly sad to hear but also not very surprising unfortunately. It's already quite an achievement to have done this for so long. Thank you superg.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

superg wrote:Guys, I will be phasing out my courtesy repair services, that includes everything that is user faults and older units. I always tried to help the best I can and I never charged the "real" repair price, only the components and shipping. I was trying to stay on top of things but turned out that's not enough for some people. I'm getting insulted privately and people are constantly testing my limits. I'm often getting switches for the repair where it's a clear 100% user fault and user damage and when I communicate about that I'm getting all the heat. People want free stuff, people want free time and full refunds! Switches don't usually die by themselves and this is a niche market.
Really sorry to hear that. Unfortunately the 1% or so of trolls can really drag you down. On my part, your switches have become a treasured part of my (and I'm sure many others) setup.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Hi superg,

I'm working on a feature for the upcoming OSSC Pro that uses the EXT port of gscartsw/gcompsw, specifically pins 2 and 5-7 for querying and overriding the selected input port. The former case allows auto-loading a specific settings profile based on the input number (which the switch automatically selects based on port activity). I'm testing the implementation against a gscartsw 5.2, it works well so far. The I/O standard on the Cyclone V side is 3.3V LVTTL, so no level shifting is needed.

Of course it would be good to know which models or revisions that functionality was introduced with, and what changes were made to the interface (if any) that would be important take into account regarding electrical and functional compatibility. That way it could be known which models/revisions are covered already and which ones could be supported with appropriate adaptations. Could you provide some information on that?

Sorry to hear that about your sale and support situation.
superg

Post by superg »

6t8k wrote:Hi superg,

I'm working on a feature for the upcoming OSSC Pro that uses the EXT port of gscartsw/gcompsw, specifically pins 2 and 5-7 for querying and overriding the selected input port. The former case allows auto-loading a specific settings profile based on the input number (which the switch automatically selects based on port activity). I'm testing the implementation against a gscartsw 5.2, it works well so far. The I/O standard on the Cyclone V side is 3.3V LVTTL, so no level shifting is needed.

Of course it would be good to know which models or revisions that functionality was introduced with, and what changes were made to the interface (if any) that would be important take into account regarding electrical and functional compatibility. That way it could be known which models/revisions are covered already and which ones could be supported with appropriate adaptations. Could you provide some information on that?

Sorry to hear that about your sale and support situation.
EXT was introduced starting from gscartsw v3.x, which allowed only the query:
1. gscartsw 3.x - query only
2. gscartsw_lite / gcompsw 4:1 - query only, I recall there were some issues with override
3. gscartsw/gcompsw 5.x - both query and override

I don't think much changed across revisions (like levels), pinout remains the same. EXT protection resistors were added in 5.x.

One of a recent "support" case was a guy who said that "he touched SCART cable while having static buildup" and 4 switch ports stopped working. Shipped the switch here and I found out that 2 EXT Altera IC lines were deliberately burned which prevented switch from selecting half of the input ports. I don't replace Altera IC because it requires good tools, skill and a lot of patience / time so I said that most likely won't be able to repair it and guy asked for a full refund. I ended up relocating the ports and creating the custom firmware (fixed it) but I regret adding EXT at all. Too many issues with incompetent people.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

superg wrote:EXT was introduced starting from gscartsw v3.x, which allowed only the query:
1. gscartsw 3.x - query only
2. gscartsw_lite / gcompsw 4:1 - query only, I recall there were some issues with override
3. gscartsw/gcompsw 5.x - both query and override

I don't think much changed across revisions (like levels), pinout remains the same. EXT protection resistors were added in 5.x.

One of a recent "support" case was a guy who said that "he touched SCART cable while having static buildup" and 4 switch ports stopped working. Shipped the switch here and I found out that 2 EXT Altera IC lines were deliberately burned which prevented switch from selecting half of the input ports. I don't replace Altera IC because it requires good tools, skill and a lot of patience / time so I said that most likely won't be able to repair it and guy asked for a full refund. I ended up relocating the ports and creating the custom firmware (fixed it) but I regret adding EXT at all. Too many issues with incompetent people.
Thanks a lot! Looks like if I include the override functionality, it'll have to be a separate version exclusively intended for gscartsw/gcompsw 5.x then. Of course I don't expect you to provide any support for this OSSC Pro connectivity specifically, whether or not override will be included. It's all the more appreciated that you're helping me here.
system11

Post by system11 »

I've removed quite a number of posts surrounding some purchasing / repair drama.

Notes:
1) Having reviewed everything posted by both parties, my personal take is that both people are in the wrong for a variety of reasons and at different times. As such there is little public interest in terms of a malicious trading incident.
2) Posting private messages without consent is generally not within the spirit of the forum rules.

I'd appreciate no more on this topic, it's a technical support thread - thanks.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
eatnooM

Post by eatnooM »

Super early days but I just received a new CRT TV and using it, I don't experience the audio issue when connected via the gscartsw I'd posted about previously!
juanmiglesias

Post by juanmiglesias »

Hi guys, quick question, I order a female scart to bnc 3.5 audio with an lm1881 for my XM29plus which requires V from pin-8. this will go between the gscartsw and the NEC, also I do have an rxi201 and a pa 250, but these two without TTL seems not able to find a signal, rxi201 would be a nice addition.
1. so I guess my question is, is it safe to use pin-8 to power the lm1881?
2. I also wanted to know if I can daisy chain a Hydra mini to the gscartsw. so ideally it would be mini hydra > gscartsw > start female2bnc with lm1881 > rxi201 > NEC XM29plus
3. and last, HAS supergun is safe correct?

thanks in advance.
Juan
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Question about daisy chaining and outputting to multiple monitors -

I have a gcomp and 2 gscarts. Currently my gcomp is daisy chained to one gscart with a Retrotink comp2scart. The first gscart is then chained to the second gscart. All component and scart consoles currently all are going to a PVM and a flatscreen routed through the Framemeister, and they all show on the monitors when I turn on a component or scart connected console.

However, I recently got a Toshiba 27AF44 that has component inputs. My end goal here is to have a PVM, CRT, and Flatscreen that has all the same consoles ready to turn on at any time with all the monitors connected to the same consoles. Is it possible to output both component and scart to the Toshiba in one component cable? I tried the component output of the gcomp to the Toshiba, but all the TV shows is component consoles only. When I try a console connected by scart with the component cable out of the gcomp to the Toshiba, nothing shows, I thought maybe it was all a connected circuit but it seems like they all go in one direction. I am assuming I need to get a Retrotink rgb2comp that outputs from the end of the chain of the last gscart out, so all scart and component consoles will show on the Toshiba? Sorry this is so confusing, I can’t seem to wrap my head around it myself.
superg

Post by superg »

juanmiglesias wrote:Hi guys, quick question, I order a female scart to bnc 3.5 audio with an lm1881 for my XM29plus which requires V from pin-8. this will go between the gscartsw and the NEC, also I do have an rxi201 and a pa 250, but these two without TTL seems not able to find a signal, rxi201 would be a nice addition.
1. so I guess my question is, is it safe to use pin-8 to power the lm1881?
2. I also wanted to know if I can daisy chain a Hydra mini to the gscartsw. so ideally it would be mini hydra > gscartsw > start female2bnc with lm1881 > rxi201 > NEC XM29plus
3. and last, HAS supergun is safe correct?
1. you don't need lm1881 as gscartsw sync regeneration is the same but faster feature.
2. no idea
3. don't know, you're on your own with that
teerazzler wrote:Question about daisy chaining and outputting to multiple monitors -

I have a gcomp and 2 gscarts. Currently my gcomp is daisy chained to one gscart with a Retrotink comp2scart. The first gscart is then chained to the second gscart. All component and scart consoles currently all are going to a PVM and a flatscreen routed through the Framemeister, and they all show on the monitors when I turn on a component or scart connected console.

However, I recently got a Toshiba 27AF44 that has component inputs. My end goal here is to have a PVM, CRT, and Flatscreen that has all the same consoles ready to turn on at any time with all the monitors connected to the same consoles. Is it possible to output both component and scart to the Toshiba in one component cable? I tried the component output of the gcomp to the Toshiba, but all the TV shows is component consoles only. When I try a console connected by scart with the component cable out of the gcomp to the Toshiba, nothing shows, I thought maybe it was all a connected circuit but it seems like they all go in one direction. I am assuming I need to get a Retrotink rgb2comp that outputs from the end of the chain of the last gscart out, so all scart and component consoles will show on the Toshiba? Sorry this is so confusing, I can’t seem to wrap my head around it myself.
Two things, first, there are just two outputs on your end switch so you can't split it to 3 destinations, hope you understand that. You can use any intermediate switch output (being it gscartsw or gcompsw) but that will show only consoles connected to that particular switch.
Second, there is no transcoding done by the switches themselves, comp2rgb is transcoding your component signals so they are RGBS after it so both gscartsw's see only RGBS.
If your goal is to have all consoles on all screens, you might want to try to connect gscartsw -> gscartsw -> rgb2comp -> gcompsw and use the component signal as your final. Still, you will need something else to split the signal to 3 monitors.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

There are three outputs available: gscartsw 1, gscartsw 2, and PVM (assuming it's got loop-through as most PVMs do).

I'd try to minimize hops. Pick a gscartsw as the core switch. Connect the second gscartsw and the comp2rgb directly to it (don't do comp2rgb to gscartsw to gscartsw, why add an extra hop). One output of the core switch goes to the PVM. One output of the core switch goes to the Framemeister. The output of the PVM goes to a rgb2comp which goes to the Toshiba.
superg

Post by superg »

Guspaz wrote:There are three outputs available: gscartsw 1, gscartsw 2, and PVM (assuming it's got loop-through as most PVMs do).

I'd try to minimize hops. Pick a gscartsw as the core switch. Connect the second gscartsw and the comp2rgb directly to it (don't do comp2rgb to gscartsw to gscartsw, why add an extra hop). One output of the core switch goes to the PVM. One output of the core switch goes to the Framemeister. The output of the PVM goes to a rgb2comp which goes to the Toshiba.
Utilizing PVM is actually a great idea!
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

I didn’t even think of utilizing the out on the PVM! Brilliant idea! Thank you both for your help!
Gara

Post by Gara »

teerazzler wrote:I didn’t even think of utilizing the out on the PVM! Brilliant idea! Thank you both for your help!
My knowledge of this is all second hand, but If you go that route be careful what cable you use. You need BNC to Male Scart, not Male Scart to BNC. You'd need a cable that has a switch for swapping input/output or perhaps have it wired to be bidirectional.

Another user on Facebook recently used his PVM outputs to run to an RGB2Comp and he couldn't get it working until he used an old version of the RGC UK Male Scart to BNC cable with the switch on it. They don't seem to sell that cable variant anymore.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It's almost trivially easy to resolder the few pins that are directional inside the SCART head. If you can't solder, just ask Wookiewin to make a cable going in the other direction for you.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

If I have component out of my PVM to the Toshiba, does the PVM need to be turned on for it to be showing on my Toshiba? I would rather not have to turn on the PVM everytime I just want to use the Toshiba, and if that way works then I wouldn’t have to worry about getting additional cables from the gscart out to the Toshiba.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

No, the PVM outputs work when it's turned off. If the PVM has termination switches, make sure they're not terminating the outputs. If they're manually terminated (require little terminator plugs) or automatically terminated, then no need to do anything.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Guspaz wrote:No, the PVM outputs work when it's turned off. If the PVM has termination switches, make sure they're not terminating the outputs. If they're manually terminated (require little terminator plugs) or automatically terminated, then no need to do anything.
Awesome! So basically all I need to do is buy 3 bnc connectors and a long component cable for what I’m trying to do here?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It'd be RGB coming out of the PVM, so you'd want a male-BNC-to-male-SCART cable/adapter (in that direction since SCART is directional), connected to a RetroTINK RGB2COMP, and then a male-to-male RCA component cable to connect to the Toshiba (assuming it has RCA inputs).
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Ah okay, after doing a Google search for a bnc to male scart adapter I can’t see to find anything. Can you please point me in the right direction or maybe with a direct link to where I can buy one that will work with what I am trying to do here? You’ve been a great help, thank you!

edit: would this work? - https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/mal ... rter-cable
(most of my cables are from them anyways)

or this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/192693867212

and if those doesn't work, or if this works just the same, I already have this cable - https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/fem ... search=bnc

Can I use that bnc to female and connect a male to male scart into the retrotink rgb2comp? Or is it not unidirectional?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

You need something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192693867212?h ... xySoJTWmEQ

Except in the other direction. Per the auction listing: "The cable is unidirectional. Please message me if you need it wired for BNC --> SCART"

Then you connect it to something like this:

https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/rgb2comp

Then you connect that to the Toshiba monitor with something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/HD-Retrovision-Y ... B07KRKM96K

Alternate source for the SCART adapter might be Retro Gaming Cables if you ask them to make one with the direction reversed for you, for the component cable you might have one lying around if it came with a cable box or DVD player or something, and for the RGB to component converter, well, there's some pretty garbage ones out there, so try to stick to reputable ones. Linuxbot3000 sells one on eBay, and people seem happy with his stuff.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Guspaz wrote:You need something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192693867212?h ... xySoJTWmEQ

Except in the other direction. Per the auction listing: "The cable is unidirectional. Please message me if you need it wired for BNC --> SCART"

Then you connect it to something like this:

https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/rgb2comp

Then you connect that to the Toshiba monitor with something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/HD-Retrovision-Y ... B07KRKM96K

Alternate source for the SCART adapter might be Retro Gaming Cables if you ask them to make one with the direction reversed for you, for the component cable you might have one lying around if it came with a cable box or DVD player or something, and for the RGB to component converter, well, there's some pretty garbage ones out there, so try to stick to reputable ones. Linuxbot3000 sells one on eBay, and people seem happy with his stuff.
Awesome! I ordered the rgb2comp yesterday from Retrotink, and I have a generic male to male Monster brand component cable (I would happily order the HD Retrovision but they're never in stock), so it sounds like all I have to do is order this https://www.ebay.com/itm/192693867212?h ... xySoJTWmEQ that you recommended and ask to have it wired for for BNC --> SCART, then when I have everything I need here I will just plug it into my PVM to my Toshiba. I couldn't have figured this out on my own so you were a huge help! Thanks man!