gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw: automatic 8:1 SCART-RGB switch

Post by superg »

neorichieb1971 wrote: So far I'm on the fence on this one. I remember early on when Viletim came up with the idea of an adapter for Jamma I suggested ideas and they were implemented to pretty much what the end specification became. I could of just rewired a few bits myself, but he came up trumps.
Well, congratulations then.
neorichieb1971 wrote:If you put this project in Viletims hands he will give you a product worthy for God himself.
Actually I wonder why nobody did such switch, because I'd probably just buy it for myself.
neorichieb1971 wrote: What i'm hearing here is Superg wants what he wants and wants everyone to like it as it is. Thats up to him. But if he wants a product that everyone wants he needs to work on the basis that different people want different things. Right now he is giving a "like it or lump it" type of attitude. My wallet isn't crying yet.
No comments.
neorichieb1971 wrote:edit - Its better to offer something at a higher price than not offer it at all. If you can do JP21 and Euro configs in one setup, suggest a price and see how it flows.
$1000 and I will do that for you :)
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

superg wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:Is there an audio out headphone/speaker jack on these?
No, there is not. In next version it may easily be separated from output SCART, but no separate connector onboard.
I'm very interested in your switch and likely will want one from your next batch but I'm still trying to understand how everything will work out.

How do you get audio out to a stereo speaker in that case?

The bandridge has two audio outs via either a L and R speaker rca cables or a headphone jack for speakers, this is a really convenient feature. Is it that hard to implement at least one of those?

Next I have one more question. When having an automatic switcher like this, what happens when you turn on more than one console? The first takes priority?
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

Taiyaki wrote:
superg wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:Is there an audio out headphone/speaker jack on these?
No, there is not. In next version it may easily be separated from output SCART, but no separate connector onboard.
I'm very interested in your switch and likely will want one from your next batch but I'm still trying to understand how everything will work out.

How do you get audio out to a stereo speaker in that case?

The bandridge has two audio outs via either a L and R speaker rca cables or a headphone jack for speakers, this is a really convenient feature. Is it that hard to implement at least one of those?

Next I have one more question. When having an automatic switcher like this, what happens when you turn on more than one console? The first takes priority?
You would just have to add one of these to the output to extract the audio:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221190880604

superg answered the priority question on the previous page:
"If you will turn on more than one console it will depend on socket number.
I am using SN74HC148 priority encoder (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74hc148.pdf). On 2nd page of datasheet there is function table which defines priorities. Simply, you will be able to arrange consoles to be able to override one console with another."
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

superg wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:edit - Its better to offer something at a higher price than not offer it at all. If you can do JP21 and Euro configs in one setup, suggest a price and see how it flows.
$1000 and I will do that for you :)
I love this post. Don't worry about neorichieb1971 being neorichieb1971. That's just the way he be.
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

I'm quite interested in this product. GL with the next batch.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Its better to offer something at a higher price than not offer it at all. If you can do JP21 and Euro configs in one setup, suggest a price and see how it flows.
Using a mixture of JP21 and Euroscart cables in one setup makes no sense whatsoever. Assuming you're really not taking the piss I imagine the number of customers for such a thing would be exactly 1 and 1 only.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

BuckoA51 wrote:
Its better to offer something at a higher price than not offer it at all. If you can do JP21 and Euro configs in one setup, suggest a price and see how it flows.
Using a mixture of JP21 and Euroscart cables in one setup makes no sense whatsoever. Assuming you're really not taking the piss I imagine the number of customers for such a thing would be exactly 1 and 1 only.
No no, you just take 10 mins to rewire it apparently. Just 10 mins, all done. But thats impossible from the sellers point of view.. you have to do it yourself.

Then you ask Viletim. Can you make some JP21 Jamma Adapters? He replies "yeah its no problem, just specify if you want JP21 or Euro in your order". Job done, excellent customer service and meeting the customers needs.

More than one person has specified JP21 compatibility as a preference, so more than 1 person wants it.

I like the product design, its classy and has some great features. The only reason I brought up Jp21 is because I only have 3 or 4 consoles with RGB scart so I don't want 8 inputs. If I am paying for 8 inputs I want XRGB compatibility to justify the cost. I did ask for a 3 or 4 socket version but thats out of bounds as well. Every other person that has asked for an addition, its out of bounds..

I'll follow this thread with interest. As for me being me.. I often work with people who design things, its just that most of the time I am able to dictate my needs when they are in the designing stage. BTW, audio out is a nice addition :wink:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

No no, you just take 10 mins to rewire it apparently. Just 10 mins, all done. But thats impossible from the sellers point of view.. you have to do it yourself.
It is extremely difficult. Superg has extensively tested this switch with a small team of testers on Assembler games. To do that all again for JP21 isn't practical or sensible. Nothing like just wiring a Jamma connetor at all. How many RGB21 cables out there even have the +5 volts that would be needed for auto switching connected properly?
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

BuckoA51 wrote:
It is extremely difficult. Superg has extensively tested this switch with a small team of testers on Assembler games. To do that all again for JP21 isn't practical or sensible. Nothing like just wiring a Jamma connetor at all. How many RGB21 cables out there even have the +5 volts that would be needed for auto switching connected properly?
If a technicality is stopping it happening then of course I'll crawl into my hole. But superg just had to say that.

Thinking about it perhaps just plugging into the XRGB is the better option. The only benefit of the switcher doing it is wear and tear.
superg

Post by superg »

BuckoA51 wrote:
It's me needing JP21 cables, PCB rewire and separate PCB manufacturing. Find 20 people, fund this, and I will do JP21. (of course not 4 + 4 which sound ridiculous, full 8 port JP21)
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Why did you choose 8 as a matter of curiosity?

Most people don't have 8 RGB consoles, let alone in the same place at the same time all ready to be powered on. I think its overkill personally. At the very least I would have to unplug power to one or two of them. Actually in the UK I have only 4 way power extensions. I think I have a 110v 6 way from the USA. The only advantage to 8 is that it gives the item weight and size. Which if changing the SCARTS can help.
EmperorZelos

Post by EmperorZelos »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Why did you choose 8 as a matter of curiosity?

Most people don't have 8 RGB consoles, let alone in the same place at the same time all ready to be powered on. I think its overkill personally. At the very least I would have to unplug power to one or two of them. Actually in the UK I have only 4 way power extensions. I think I have a 110v 6 way from the USA. The only advantage to 8 is that it gives the item weight and size. Which if changing the SCARTS can help.
overkill? I think 8 is not enough!
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I think 8 is ideal.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

overkill? I think 8 is not enough!
I'm with you on that one, 8 would just do me but I like to have a spare too for when I get the Spectrum out of the cupboard.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Because multiplexers. He addressed this in the thread on Assembler.
airs

Post by airs »

Eight is a good choice for one switch imo. Many users have a few consoles already and may want to expand their collection in the future. I have two gscartsw from superg daisy chained with 11 consoles.
EmperorZelos

Post by EmperorZelos »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Because multiplexers. He addressed this in the thread on Assembler.
8 due to multiplex, hmmm multiplex upon multiplex....8*8=64.....anyone know if there are 64 analogue SD era consoles? =O *jokes around*
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Well, it seems those that wanted 8 got lucky then.
superg

Post by superg »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Well, it seems those that wanted 8 got lucky then.
Those of them are all of them.
Because if you need only 4, you can buy this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skytronic-Scart ... art+switch

And new PCB's are done!
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

When will the next batch be available?
superg

Post by superg »

Taiyaki wrote:When will the next batch be available?
In a month I think, they just started assembling.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

How many will be stocked? Should we start preordering?
superg

Post by superg »

Taiyaki wrote:How many will be stocked? Should we start preordering?
For now it's only 10 switches.
I will add you to my queue if you want.
I am not ready to pay for big quantities, so most likely it'll go 10-20 every batch.
But further batches will go faster if I will not need any changes.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Yes I'm very interested. I do have two more questions though because I've never used automatic scart switch boxes before.

1. Does the unit heat up if left on continually? Is it recommended to turn the switch off after use?

2. I notice the design is open on the sides, when dusting the open board (black side) is it vulnerable to shorts? (this one might sound dumb but it's best to be warned than sorry).
superg

Post by superg »

Taiyaki wrote:Yes I'm very interested. I do have two more questions though because I've never used automatic scart switch boxes before.

1. Does the unit heat up if left on continually? Is it recommended to turn the switch off after use?

2. I notice the design is open on the sides, when dusting the open board (black side) is it vulnerable to shorts? (this one might sound dumb but it's best to be warned than sorry).
It eats around 1-2mA without and 10mA with sync stripper, which is very low. If you'll feed it externally - you should care about quality of your power supply instead ;)
If you'll feed it from your consoles: console turned off - no power on switch.
There shouldn't be any shorts because of dust :).
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I really like it that now one can send the output through a scart.

I'd like to go on your list for the next batch please. :)

So you mean this switch can work fine without being powered externally? Is there any advantage to using a power supply on it? (sorry if this is a very noobish question).
EmperorZelos

Post by EmperorZelos »

superg wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:When will the next batch be available?
In a month I think, they just started assembling.
You could put me on the list of interested :) By the time the batch is done I oughta have the money for it.
superg

Post by superg »

Taiyaki wrote:I really like it that now one can send the output through a scart.
I'd like to go on your list for the next batch please. :)
So you mean this switch can work fine without being powered externally? Is there any advantage to using a power supply on it? (sorry if this is a very noobish question).
Yes, it can. It's almost transparent in terms of power consumption. However it'll depend on your SCART cables. Official cables usually doesn't provide enough power, and it's according to SCART specification, so I am kinda cheating a bit here :).
I've added you and EmperorZelos to the list.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Another question I have is, when using the audio splitter to take the audio out, one ends up having two scarts after another with the audio box inbetween, doesn't that reduce video fidelity?

Do you ever intend to include an audio out on the gscarts down the line or is this the permanent way to draw the audio out?
superg

Post by superg »

Taiyaki wrote:Another question I have is, when using the audio splitter to take the audio out, one ends up having two scarts after another with the audio box inbetween, doesn't that reduce video fidelity?
Theoretically: it probably will change a way the electrons travel along the wire :)
Practically: you probably will not notice any changes in picture quality.
Thinking about such insignificant things is too extreme.
Taiyaki wrote:Do you ever intend to include an audio out on the gscarts down the line or is this the permanent way to draw the audio out?
But is this really needed? If you're building perfect home setup at your place I would split audio signals inside SCART connector. Yes, you'll have to solder 3 wires, but you get flexibility because around that output SCART you can build any configuration, BNC, 3.5 jack, RCA, etc. And you can control the quality of your cable yourself.
On the other hand, let's say I will decide to add separate audio jack, what should I use, 2 RCA's or 3.5? Or maybe 6.35 because it's more "audiophile"? Personally I'd go with 3.5 because it's small and neat, but some of you will probably ask about RCA and somebody will say "use 3.5 to RCA adapter". And in this case you may ask if such adapter will not change audio fidelity :).
Nothing is set in stone, it can be added but I don't like such an idea. I like KISS principle - Keep It Simple Stupid.