gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Have the component switches arrived? It still says you're out of stock, on your page.
Not yet, I'm waiting on a word from manufacturer. Should be really soon.
It will be out of stock until I ship all the preorders anyway.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

superg wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:Have the component switches arrived? It still says you're out of stock, on your page.
Not yet, I'm waiting on a word from manufacturer. Should be really soon.
It will be out of stock until I ship all the preorders anyway.
I have 2 preordered, so I'm good to go. I was just wondering how the progress was coming along.
superg

Post by superg »

The switches are here, I am currently testing and start shipping early next week!
mario64

Post by mario64 »

superg wrote:The switches are here, I am currently testing and start shipping early next week!
This is the component or gscartsw?
superg

Post by superg »

mario64 wrote:
superg wrote:The switches are here, I am currently testing and start shipping early next week!
Both.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

superg wrote:
mario64 wrote:
Both.
Awesome!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Awesome. I've really been excited to check these out.
TheSwartz

Post by TheSwartz »

Hello

A few questions please?

1. Regarding power for the gcompsw and gscartsw. I am re-organizing my set up, and for devices that also use 5V 1A via USB for power (like wireless controllers or mini consoles), I am plugging all of those into a 60W 10 port USB wall charger (link on Amazon). Is there any reason NOT to do this for the gcomp or gscart?

2. This is a dumb question... regarding the gcompsw. I have connected a GameCube with the Nintendo component cable. And, this requires using the composite cable to connect audio. This leaves the yellow composite video connector not used (I think?). Should I connect the yellow composite connector too? Any harm if I do and it's not used? (it bothers my OCD to leave connectors laying around loose...). I am NOT using composite for anything else in my setup, and composite is not connected to the gcomp output. I assume that nothing happens, but I don't know if the gcompsw detects something connected and does something weird internally?

3. For both the gcompsw and gscartsw. Regarding the 2 outputs and simultaneous output. Is there any degradation of the signal if both are used? or lag introduced?

THANK YOU!!
I probably spend more time collecting games and tinkering with my consoles than actually playing them...
superg

Post by superg »

TheSwartz wrote:Hello

A few questions please?

1. Regarding power for the gcompsw and gscartsw. I am re-organizing my set up, and for devices that also use 5V 1A via USB for power (like wireless controllers or mini consoles), I am plugging all of those into a 60W 10 port USB wall charger (link on Amazon). Is there any reason NOT to do this for the gcomp or gscart?

2. This is a dumb question... regarding the gcompsw. I have connected a GameCube with the Nintendo component cable. And, this requires using the composite cable to connect audio. This leaves the yellow composite video connector not used (I think?). Should I connect the yellow composite connector too? Any harm if I do and it's not used? (it bothers my OCD to leave connectors laying around loose...). I am NOT using composite for anything else in my setup, and composite is not connected to the gcomp output. I assume that nothing happens, but I don't know if the gcompsw detects something connected and does something weird internally?

3. For both the gcompsw and gscartsw. Regarding the 2 outputs and simultaneous output. Is there any degradation of the signal if both are used? or lag introduced?

THANK YOU!!
1. should be fine
2. you can connect the composite too if you want, no harm
3. no lag and no degradation, use any combination or both
Icelvlan

Post by Icelvlan »

Hi Superg,

Do you have any advise on scart connectors popping out? I have this issue with all brands of cables in my gscartsw.

Also to connect a gscartsw to gcomp, I assume I need something like retrotink in the middle? Would auto switching work?

Thanks!
superg

Post by superg »

Icelvlan wrote:Hi Superg,

Do you have any advise on scart connectors popping out? I have this issue with all brands of cables in my gscartsw.

Also to connect a gscartsw to gcomp, I assume I need something like retrotink in the middle? Would auto switching work?

Thanks!
Hmm, no idea, do you keep your switch horizontally and there is no tension on your cables?
I guess some movement is involved, I don't see how they can pop up by themselves, there is no springs or anything like that inside the SCART connector.
Yeah, to interconnect gscartsw with gcompsw you can use retrotink COMP2RGB or the other way around.
Icelvlan

Post by Icelvlan »

Okay thanks.

Yes my switch is horizontal. I have 8’ cables so I can pull out my consoles. They don’t fully pop out, usually just one side of the connector so I have to push them back in.
superg

Post by superg »

Icelvlan wrote:Okay thanks.

Yes my switch is horizontal. I have 8’ cables so I can pull out my consoles. They don’t fully pop out, usually just one side of the connector so I have to push them back in.
If the cable is heavy itself it might contribute, try to level them, maybe lift them a bit and put something under the cables. Or bundle them together - something like that.
superg

Post by superg »

All gcompsw's are shipped. The remaining gscartsw's will be shipped this Saturday - following Monday.
Foxe

Post by Foxe »

superg wrote:gscartsw switches from this batch will have reinforced usb connectors with through hole mount points. In addition to that, there is a much better audio overvoltage protection.
I'm curious if this is to try and help with the supergun issues? I know you're against pairing a supergun with the switch, but it seems to be becoming more common. I wouldn't risk that anyway and I'd advise nobody risk bricking a switch like this.

Glad to hear orders from Oct 1st will be going out though! I ordered my second switch just in time it seems. Great work superg. 8)
superg

Post by superg »

Foxe wrote: I'm curious if this is to try and help with the supergun issues? I know you're against pairing a supergun with the switch, but it seems to be becoming more common. I wouldn't risk that anyway and I'd advise nobody risk bricking a switch like this.

Glad to hear orders from Oct 1st will be going out though! I ordered my second switch just in time it seems. Great work superg. 8)
Yes, this is exactly this. The protection is much better now but I always stress on it - it won't "resolve" the amplified audio issue, you will hear garbage, but switch will be more resistant to the damage.
Thoughtseize

Post by Thoughtseize »

superg wrote:All gcompsw's are shipped. The remaining gscartsw's will be shipped this Saturday - following Monday.
Do you have anymore gscartsw available? Can I still pay for one now?
Thoughtseize

Post by Thoughtseize »

superg wrote:All gcompsw's are shipped. The remaining gscartsw's will be shipped this Saturday - following Monday.
Do you have anymore gscartsw available? Can I still pay for one now?
Soapper

Post by Soapper »

Looks like I missed the latest gscartsw batch. Any ideas on when the next one will be in?
megazac

Post by megazac »

I just received my gcompsw, and all of my component consoles are working great!

I am having a problem with my composite NES. No matter what cable, input, or output combination I try, I'm just getting a white and black flickering screen. The green light flickers indicating that it's receiving a signal, but it's not displaying correctly on my Sony CRT. When I hook it straight into the TV, it looks great. I've tried various composite cables with no luck. I'm plugging them straight from the console into the yellow composite inputs on the switcher, and then from the yellow output on the switcher to the TV's input.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong to hook up the composite signal?

Thanks.
superg

Post by superg »

Soapper wrote:Looks like I missed the latest gscartsw batch. Any ideas on when the next one will be in?
You didn't miss anything, I didn't update store page yet, finishing shipping the pre orders.
They are in stock.
Soapper

Post by Soapper »

superg wrote:
Soapper wrote:Looks like I missed the latest gscartsw batch. Any ideas on when the next one will be in?
You didn't miss anything, I didn't update store page yet, finishing shipping the pre orders.
They are in stock.
Ah, okay! I'd just placed an order yesterday morning and figured by the talk here I'd barely missed it. Thanks for clarifying!
superg

Post by superg »

megazac wrote:I just received my gcompsw, and all of my component consoles are working great!

I am having a problem with my composite NES. No matter what cable, input, or output combination I try, I'm just getting a white and black flickering screen. The green light flickers indicating that it's receiving a signal, but it's not displaying correctly on my Sony CRT. When I hook it straight into the TV, it looks great. I've tried various composite cables with no luck. I'm plugging them straight from the console into the yellow composite inputs on the switcher, and then from the yellow output on the switcher to the TV's input.

Thanks.
Hmm, it should just work. Can you try green RCA instead of yellow?
Connect your yellow RCA cable to green switch RCA and take it out from green RCA switch output to your yellow RCA on the TV.

EDIT: Disconnect everything else to make sure nothing is affecting your test.
superg

Post by superg »

All preorders were dropped off yesterday. Current orders will be handled as they come, everything is in stock.
megazac

Post by megazac »

superg wrote:
megazac wrote:I just received my gcompsw, and all of my component consoles are working great!

Thanks.
Hmm, it should just work. Can you try green RCA instead of yellow?
Connect your yellow RCA cable to green switch RCA and take it out from green RCA switch output to your yellow RCA on the TV.

EDIT: Disconnect everything else to make sure nothing is affecting your test.
I just got around to trying your suggestion, and unfortunately I get the same result. The screen flickers white and black, and audio doesn't come through either.

For further testing, I connected my SNES up using composite, and it works great. I also have another NES, so I hooked that one up, and it works too! It looks like the gcompsw doesn't like one of my NES's. For now I can use my second NES for the composite connection, but I am still concerned about my first NES. Have you ever seen this happen before? Might there be something wrong with or different about my first NES? I wasn't aware that there were differences in NES models, aside from the top loaders.

I'm specifically concerned because I would like to get my first NES RGB modded at some point, and I want to make sure that the gcompsw will work with it when it's component modded.

Thanks.
superg

Post by superg »

megazac wrote: I just got around to trying your suggestion, and unfortunately I get the same result. The screen flickers white and black, and audio doesn't come through either.

For further testing, I connected my SNES up using composite, and it works great. I also have another NES, so I hooked that one up, and it works too! It looks like the gcompsw doesn't like one of my NES's. For now I can use my second NES for the composite connection, but I am still concerned about my first NES. Have you ever seen this happen before? Might there be something wrong with or different about my first NES? I wasn't aware that there were differences in NES models, aside from the top loaders.

I'm specifically concerned because I would like to get my first NES RGB modded at some point, and I want to make sure that the gcompsw will work with it when it's component modded.

Thanks.
Composite NES works for everybody, a lot of owners are using their unmodded NES with gcompsw. If you see constant flickering / audio break ups, the switch is having trouble detecting the signal so it could be that the sync amplitude is marginally low.
Did you recap your NES? Maybe it's time to do that.
mxpxpxpx

Post by mxpxpxpx »

Hello I just got my Gcompsw and am having trouble getting it to work with a few systems. My setup is a Samsung 55" 4k TV and a Onkyo receiver. The Gcompsw output plugs into a Retrotink 2X, and then an HDMI to my Onkyo receiver. I am also using HD Retrovision cables. I can get the SNES, SFC, PS1 and Saturn to work fine with HD Retrovision cables. My Genesis/CD/32X and Japanese Master System only show video using HD Retrovision cables. I have tried it with and without the Retrotink 2X. I thought it might be bad cables, but I have tried them in other consoles like the Saturn and they work fine. I also tried plugging the Retrotink 2X directly into the TV (no receiver) and still only video. I took the Retrotink 2X out of the equation and hooked the Gcompsw directly to the tv (also no receiver) and I now get sound, but a blinking green and black screen. What do you thin my problem is? Is it my TV (which I plan on upgrading to a LG OLED), My receiver, the Retrotink 2X, Gcompsw itself or maybe a componet cable from the output? Please let me know things I can try. I really love the device and hope I can get it fully working.

I did some more troubleshooting and the 2 consoles work by themselves with the gcompsw. I believe it is the Retrotink 2X. I have updated the firmware if the Retrotink 2X, but no luck. Are there known issues with using the Retrotink 2X? Also is there firmware to update on the gcompsw? Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,

Matthew
superg

Post by superg »

mxpxpxpx wrote:Hello I just got my Gcompsw and am having trouble getting it to work with a few systems. My setup is a Samsung 55" 4k TV and a Onkyo receiver. The Gcompsw output plugs into a Retrotink 2X, and then an HDMI to my Onkyo receiver. I am also using HD Retrovision cables. I can get the SNES, SFC, PS1 and Saturn to work fine with HD Retrovision cables. My Genesis/CD/32X and Japanese Master System only show video using HD Retrovision cables. I have tried it with and without the Retrotink 2X. I thought it might be bad cables, but I have tried them in other consoles like the Saturn and they work fine. I also tried plugging the Retrotink 2X directly into the TV (no receiver) and still only video. I took the Retrotink 2X out of the equation and hooked the Gcompsw directly to the tv (also no receiver) and I now get sound, but a blinking green and black screen. What do you thin my problem is? Is it my TV (which I plan on upgrading to a LG OLED), My receiver, the Retrotink 2X, Gcompsw itself or maybe a componet cable from the output? Please let me know things I can try. I really love the device and hope I can get it fully working.

I did some more troubleshooting and the 2 consoles work by themselves with the gcompsw. I believe it is the Retrotink 2X. I have updated the firmware if the Retrotink 2X, but no luck. Are there known issues with using the Retrotink 2X? Also is there firmware to update on the gcompsw? Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,

Matthew
Something is not up to the spec with those two console outputs. If you get a blinking green LED on gcompsw, it means that sync is not stable (I don't think it's your TV). Genesis and Master System are common consoles and they work just fine otherwise. I'm using Genesis / HD retrovision cable here to test all the switches so the problem is elsewhere.
mxpxpxpx

Post by mxpxpxpx »

superg wrote:
mxpxpxpx wrote:Hello I just got my Gcompsw and am having trouble getting it to work with a few systems. My setup is a Samsung 55" 4k TV and a Onkyo receiver. The Gcompsw output plugs into a Retrotink 2X, and then an HDMI to my Onkyo receiver. I am also using HD Retrovision cables. I can get the SNES, SFC, PS1 and Saturn to work fine with HD Retrovision cables. My Genesis/CD/32X and Japanese Master System only show video using HD Retrovision cables. I have tried it with and without the Retrotink 2X. I thought it might be bad cables, but I have tried them in other consoles like the Saturn and they work fine. I also tried plugging the Retrotink 2X directly into the TV (no receiver) and still only video. I took the Retrotink 2X out of the equation and hooked the Gcompsw directly to the tv (also no receiver) and I now get sound, but a blinking green and black screen. What do you thin my problem is? Is it my TV (which I plan on upgrading to a LG OLED), My receiver, the Retrotink 2X, Gcompsw itself or maybe a componet cable from the output? Please let me know things I can try. I really love the device and hope I can get it fully working.

Sincerely,

Matthew
Something is not up to the spec with those two console outputs. If you get a blinking green LED on gcompsw, it means that sync is not stable (I don't think it's your TV). Genesis and Master System are common consoles and they work just fine otherwise. I'm using Genesis / HD retrovision cable here to test all the switches so the problem is elsewhere.

Thanks for the reply. I believe the problem lies with the reciver as using the Retrotink 2X Pro by its self works fine, just not going through a receiver. I have emailed them for support. Thanks again, awesome product.
hairycandy

Post by hairycandy »

Hello,

I just received your product. My current set up is PS1, PS2, Sega 32X, and Sega Saturn all connected via HD Retrovision Cables to the gcompsw and outputting via a male to male HD Retrovision cable to a retrotink 2x classic to my LG E9.

Everything in my set up is confirmed working other than the male to male HD retrovision cable and the gcompsw, they are the new additions. However, I have a feeling the gcompsw could be the problem as when I power on any console the green light on the gcompsw never turns on. All consoles exhibit the same behavior when turned on - No video, and some crackly audio. Gcompsw has been tested with included power cable to both wall and powerstrip outlets with no change.

Any help is greatly appreciated.