gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Taiyaki

Re: gscartsw: automatic 8:1 SCART-RGB switch

Post by Taiyaki »

For those who need scart to bnc cables with audio out this seller is excellent imo. I asked him if he could make them with female out for the audio and he said yes. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Male-RGB-Euro-S ... 2ed46ed9d8
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I will consider one in a month or two.

Firstly I have to find out how much its going to cost to get all Euro spec scarts.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

If you want good quality cables try here: http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories

More cost effective than Official cables and just as good, it seems.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Those are the best cables around as far as I know. Only she doesn't make the bnc type that I listed above for the video/audio out. You'll need one of those on a pvm/bvm type monitor.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I ordered a female SCART to BNC cable from http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/

The cable that came was high quality, worked great and I opened it and all the grounds were connected, contrary to what some people have claimed on here.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
superg

Post by superg »

BuckoA51 wrote:I ordered a female SCART to BNC cable from http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/

The cable that came was high quality, worked great and I opened it and all the grounds were connected, contrary to what some people have claimed on here.
Female SCART should have all grounds connected, otherwise it will not work for some cables.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I have one question regarding the LM1881. Is is necessary to turn it off when not using csync cables? On other scart switch boxes I haven't seen such a switch, why is it optional here? Could someone elaborate on this for those like myself who don't quite understand it's use?
superg

Post by superg »

Taiyaki wrote:I have one question regarding the LM1881. Is is necessary to turn it off when not using csync cables? On other scart switch boxes I haven't seen such a switch, why is it optional here? Could someone elaborate on this for those like myself who don't quite understand it's use?
You don't have to turn it off. In my case I've added an ability to turn it off in case of some problems with signal (never happened). Another advantage for such a switch starting from gscartsw v1.4 is that it'll turn off lm1881 power as well, which means gscartsw will consume less power, which in turn will help those using official SCART cables and use switch without external power supply.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

That makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation. :)
Forks

Post by Forks »

The updated pics are looking nice! When will you be taking payment/shipping info for the preorders from this batch?
superg

Post by superg »

A little update, next batch of switches is tested and ready for shipping. I will let you know by PM about each order.
The bad thing is that my basement got flooded yesterday (switches are safe) and it looks like it isn't an end yet.
I will answer all of your PM's and will prepare for shipping as soon as I'll manage to finish with this issue.
Thanks for understanding.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Actually I found a flaw to the Bandridge this week.

I have found that at time during gameplay colors suddenly change. As if suddenly whites show a tint of red in the, it's so very light that I had never noticed it before on action games, but since I was playing some rpg's lately and there are a lot of moments where the background stays still I started noticing this problem (on both Genesis and PS1). I'm quite sure it's not the tv since turning it on and off doesn't return it to normal however changing the manual switch on the Bandridge to another slot (like say Super Famicom) and powering on that console does return it to normal (then changing back to the former console and all is alright, at least temporarily).

Unless this could be a problem with my scart video out? Maybe someone with more technical understanding of what goes on inside can explain?
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Out of curiosity (since this isn't exactly a practical workaround) next time it happens can you unplug all the other SCARTs except the one you are using and see if that fixes the problem?
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

superg wrote:Also, I think I will be able to implement JP21 :)
Great news!
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

Taiyaki wrote:Actually I found a flaw to the Bandridge this week.

I have found that at time during gameplay colors suddenly change. As if suddenly whites show a tint of red in the, it's so very light that I had never noticed it before on action games, but since I was playing some rpg's lately and there are a lot of moments where the background stays still I started noticing this problem (on both Genesis and PS1). I'm quite sure it's not the tv since turning it on and off doesn't return it to normal however changing the manual switch on the Bandridge to another slot (like say Super Famicom) and powering on that console does return it to normal (then changing back to the former console and all is alright, at least temporarily).

Unless this could be a problem with my scart video out? Maybe someone with more technical understanding of what goes on inside can explain?
I noticed my Bandridge hated my PS2 specifically when I had it in the 5th input. Also my snes would constantly loose colors making the image all yellow. a quick rearrangement of your scarts may work. I also saw voltage leaking if my scarts weren't plugged in, in a very specific way. Don't know if this helps, just my experience with the Bandridge
WARNING: no refuge
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

BuckoA51 wrote:Out of curiosity (since this isn't exactly a practical workaround) next time it happens can you unplug all the other SCARTs except the one you are using and see if that fixes the problem?
Will try that out.

sky-13>

Clearly the bandridge is color sensitive lol. Mine tends to go reddish so whites appear to have some red in them. :lol:

The NES doesn't like being in slot 1 and actually on mine the PS2 has no issues on slot 5, although since my PS2 is having issues of it's own I haven't tried a game only the menu.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Received the gscartsw and have tried it out. It's absolutely amazing. Design wise It looks like something from a museum of modern art. It looks even better than in the pictures imo.

Picture and audio had no noticeable loss in quality. Just required some very minor tweaking to get the picture completely centered again.

Out of 7 cables (all from retro console accessories on ebay) they all worked except for the NES scart which was made on request. It works fine on the bandridge but not on the gscartsw. Is there some pin for power that needs to be modified?

What would need to be changed for it to work?
Last edited by Taiyaki on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superg

Post by superg »

Taiyaki wrote:Received the gscartsw and have tried it out. It's absolutely amazing. The design is gorgeous. It looks even better than in the pictures imo.

Out of 7 cables (all from retro console accessories on ebay) they all worked except for the NES scart which was made on request. It works fine on the bandridge but not on the gscartsw. Is there some pin for power that needs to be modified?

If you have a multimeter you'll need to check voltage on SCART pin 8, most likely your cable doesn't provide any power there.
(or disassemble SCART cable and check visually if there's any pin 8 soldered)
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

superg wrote:If you have a multimeter you'll need to check voltage on SCART pin 8, most likely your cable doesn't provide any power there.
(or disassemble SCART cable and check visually if there's any pin 8 soldered)
Thanks!
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

Taiyaki wrote:Received the gscartsw and have tried it out. It's absolutely amazing. Design wise It looks like something from a museum of modern art. It looks even better than in the pictures imo.

Picture and audio had no noticeable loss in quality. Just required some very minor tweaking to get the picture completely centered again.

Another possibility is that If you did not do the mod yourself, your modder may not have connected 5v to your av output port.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

That might be. I didn't do it myself, frankly I can't figure out how to open it either. I ended up sending Retro Console Accessories a message.

By turning off the LM1881 switch I was able to get a picture but it's very very dim, as in I can barely make out what's on screen.
superg

Post by superg »

Taiyaki wrote:That might be. I didn't do it myself, frankly I can't figure out how to open it either. I ended up sending Retro Console Accessories a message.

By turning off the LM1881 switch I was able to get a picture but it's very very dim, as in I can barely make out what's on screen.
What's so custom about that cable? Did you have your NES modded with NESRGB? If so, viletim's SCART cable works just fine.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

It was less expensive and already assembled. It's a mini dim 8 to male scart with the seperated audio rca for the nesrgb. Also I really trust retro console accessories cables since all the other ones I use give an amazing picture. But I guess had I bought Viletim's it would have been simpler.
Eewoke

Post by Eewoke »

I like to buy one. Pls. pm me.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

You need to figure out if a 5V connection is on the scart mod from the console end.. otherwise nothing you attach to the NES will work.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
superg

Post by superg »

Eewoke wrote:I like to buy one. Pls. pm me.
I added you to the waiting list.
ikaruga007

Post by ikaruga007 »

Looks very nice superg. Please add me to the list, I'll take one when available.
superg

Post by superg »

ikaruga007 wrote:Looks very nice superg. Please add me to the list, I'll take one when available.
added.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

You need to figure out if a 5V connection is on the scart mod from the console end.. otherwise nothing you attach to the NES will work.
My old RGB modded N64 has the same problem, no voltage connected or at least not enough. At the risk of sounding like a dick I did predict this sort of thing would happen, it's why I lamented the lack of manual override.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Superg, if there is a waiting list for a future JP21 version, then go ahead and put me on it.