gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
JoeMango

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by JoeMango »

Hey SuperG. How do I cancel a back order that has been placed. Doesn't mention anywhere on how to do this. Only this forum is linked for support. Was paid for through PayPal. Do I request a cancellation rom yourself or go through PayPal. Cheers.
superg

Post by superg »

grifter wrote:are all GScart versions ignoring pin 8/16? or only the current version?
gscartsw v3+ including gscartsw_lite is ignoring those pins. Earlier revisions were using them.
grifter wrote: I have several different versions of the Gscart and i remember hearing early on that the PS2 had to be on the first port because it wouldn't auto switch. I always assumed that was because the PS2 didn't have the 5volt trigger.

Do PS2's now work on the new line of switches on any port?
Normal RGBS PS2 mode was supposed to work as is. The problem is when you want to play in progressive / HD resolution, PS2 switches to sync-on-green mode. That mode wasn't detected on gscartsw_lite and to get that pass through on gscartsw v3.x you had to connect it to input 8. Now everything is resolved in latest v5.2 version as it supports sync on green.
superg

Post by superg »

JoeMango wrote:Hey SuperG. How do I cancel a back order that has been placed. Doesn't mention anywhere on how to do this. Only this forum is linked for support. Was paid for through PayPal. Do I request a cancellation rom yourself or go through PayPal. Cheers.
PM sent.
maedhros77

Post by maedhros77 »

I apologize if this is posted somewhere and I am just blind, but is there a revision history for this product available anywhere? I am asking, as I am not sure if the version I have is the newest version with Sync on Green support and was looking for a revision history that i could compare my purchase date to, in order to determine what version I have. If there is not, I purchased mine on 02/24/20 and received it on 02/28/20. I am fairly certain this would be the most recent version, but I could not find any sort of date for when the revisions took place. Thank you for your assistance!
jboner1058

Post by jboner1058 »

Hey man, long time fan of your products. I just had a power surge that killed my gscartsw lite. Ive traced it back to I believe D1, the b249 BEE diode but I cant find a replacement part on mouser with that code. What are the specs of the diode so I can give that a try to bring this back to life?
superg

Post by superg »

jboner1058 wrote:Hey man, long time fan of your products. I just had a power surge that killed my gscartsw lite. Ive traced it back to I believe D1, the b249 BEE diode but I cant find a replacement part on mouser with that code. What are the specs of the diode so I can give that a try to bring this back to life?
Here you go:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... -ND/816522
jboner1058

Post by jboner1058 »

Thanks man. Got it changed out with something close enough in spec (but through hole not smd) out of the parts bin for now until I get an order from mouser. moving along no power yet still but now u17 voltage regulator is hot as hell. Might be a short possibly. We had some power issues in my neighborhood with storms last week and a lot of things got zapped. Mostly stuff on my alexa plugs like my gaming rig. Still battling through this
superg

Post by superg »

jboner1058 wrote:Thanks man. Got it changed out with something close enough in spec (but through hole not smd) out of the parts bin for now until I get an order from mouser. moving along no power yet still but now u17 voltage regulator is hot as hell. Might be a short possibly. We had some power issues in my neighborhood with storms last week and a lot of things got zapped. Mostly stuff on my alexa plugs like my gaming rig. Still battling through this
Don't keep it on - most likely fried components are shorted.
Unsolder L2-L4 and L6-L8 - that will disconnect multiplexer power. See if LED blinks when you turn it on. That will isolate the problem. If LED doesn't light - Altera is dead and it's a game over. If not, solder back L beads back one by one and see when it shorts - you will isolate dead multiplexers. But I mean power surge could really kill other components.
jboner1058

Post by jboner1058 »

L2 has the short. All the others light up just fine. Getting closer
superg

Post by superg »

jboner1058 wrote:L2 has the short. All the others light up just fine. Getting closer
L2 / L6 are +5V / -5V rails to audio multiplexers U5 and U6.
Unsolder both multiplexers and you might have working switch without audio (if LED is fine and I get an impression that Altera started for you).
jboner1058

Post by jboner1058 »

I’ve got video and auto switching! No audio of course. Should I replace those two with new multiplexers to get this thing back up and running? Trying to think aside from the storm what I’ve done audio wise over the past year. No, no super gun. I did disconnect the audio pins into two rca jacks on my scart cable to run external Stereo speakers through a cheap amplifier but that was almost a year ago I did that. The only new things I did was put a rgb bypass in my master system but I only had a genesis 1 scart cable so no audio there. I did an rgb mod to my intellivision that has sketchy c-sync but nothing crazy. Considering the sync line capacitor blew on my pvm after that power surge and a couple other things in the house connected to that one strip it was on got jacked who knows man. What’s the part number of these multiplexers?
superg

Post by superg »

jboner1058 wrote:I’ve got video and auto switching! No audio of course. Should I replace those two with new multiplexers to get this thing back up and running? Trying to think aside from the storm what I’ve done audio wise over the past year. No, no super gun. I did disconnect the audio pins into two rca jacks on my scart cable to run external Stereo speakers through a cheap amplifier but that was almost a year ago I did that. The only new things I did was put a rgb bypass in my master system but I only had a genesis 1 scart cable so no audio there. I did an rgb mod to my intellivision that has sketchy c-sync but nothing crazy. Considering the sync line capacitor blew on my pvm after that power surge and a couple other things in the house connected to that one strip it was on got jacked who knows man. What’s the part number of these multiplexers?
Replacement multiplexers:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/5994127
Honestly I am surprised they are in stock, last time I checked they were out of stock anywhere so grab yours fast. They were supposed to be end of life by now.
Surely it died because of power surge (D1). But I suggest to be extremely careful with external speakers. Drawing more power from audio is a potential issue as well as passing non linear audio through switch.
jboner1058

Post by jboner1058 »

Got them ordered! Thanks for your help man!
Brett_D92

Post by Brett_D92 »

Got my gcomp yesterday surprisingly, for some reason that continued via USPS while my other 4 packages that were sent previously haven't moved yet.

Looks great overall, only tried it with 480p via PS2 so far to see how it held up to a direct connection when using OSSC. Panicked a bit at first when I saw degradation in the picture thinking it wasn't gonna change anything, though it also showed in direct connection and even RGB (to make sure), was the bloody LPF f**king with it, something that happened when I updated the FW. Finally got an accurate result with that after disabling it and could see if it did improve over my current setup (GE 4x1 switcher + Keene 1x5 splitter) which it did: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/99J9MNNU

Thanks again, superg. :D

Shame I can't fully put it in my setup yet till the Bumper case arrives which was one of the 4 packages that have yet to move.
daty2k1

Post by daty2k1 »

Nice! Mine has been stuck in Chicago since April 27th...
anolte

Post by anolte »

Hello. I am considering using my gcompsw 4:1 to merge component and RGB signals running from one Sony PVM to another, and I'm wondering if there are any drawbacks to doing so, such as damage to the switch or my equipment.

Basically, I want to run both RGB and component separately from a PVM-20L5 with a BKM-129X expansion card, into the gcompsw, then into the single slot of RGB inputs on a PVM-1954Q.

I tried this exact setup with a passive switch, and the brightness was significantly lowered on my 20L5 when passing signal to the 1954Q, even when the latter was powered off. Not sure if that's an issue with chaining PVMs together or if it has something to do with the passive switch I've been using, but I wanted to get your thoughts before attempting it on the gcompsw.

Thanks! :D
jboner1058

Post by jboner1058 »

Why do t you use a shinybow scart to comp adapter as a go between?
superg

Post by superg »

anolte wrote:Hello. I am considering using my gcompsw 4:1 to merge component and RGB signals running from one Sony PVM to another, and I'm wondering if there are any drawbacks to doing so, such as damage to the switch or my equipment.

Basically, I want to run both RGB and component separately from a PVM-20L5 with a BKM-129X expansion card, into the gcompsw, then into the single slot of RGB inputs on a PVM-1954Q.

I tried this exact setup with a passive switch, and the brightness was significantly lowered on my 20L5 when passing signal to the 1954Q, even when the latter was powered off. Not sure if that's an issue with chaining PVMs together or if it has something to do with the passive switch I've been using, but I wanted to get your thoughts before attempting it on the gcompsw.

Thanks! :D
I never tried this but technically should work. Just a few questions on this, you do realize that no YPbPr->RGBS / RGBS->YPbPr conversion will be performed by the switch, right?
So you want to put the switch between two monitors, is that correct?
If so, why not to merge signals before they enter the first PVM?
grifter

Problems with the 8 pin header.

Post by grifter »

So i have 3 GScart switches, one version 5.2 and two version 1.5 switches.

I bought them for the sole purpose of using the 8 pin header on the board to control the lights on my cabinet.

The version 5.2 switch works as expected, took me a minute to figure out the binary for pin 5,6,7 are reversed but after that it all made sense

The version 1.5 switches both fail to output the current switch output binary. They always have 3.3 volts on pin 5,6,7 no matter what input the switch is on.

Do i have defective switches or was there a firmware version that had this as a bug. How do i go about fixing these?
superg

Re: Problems with the 8 pin header.

Post by superg »

grifter wrote: The version 1.5 switches both fail to output the current switch output binary. They always have 3.3 volts on pin 5,6,7 no matter what input the switch is on.
Do i have defective switches or was there a firmware version that had this as a bug. How do i go about fixing these?
The feature ended up not being used by anyone. Back then working on the firmware I tested it at some point but that was years ago. Honestly I don't even remember if any of the early lite units had different firmware. v5.2 was tested the same way and yes, signals are inverted. One thing I can say for sure is that EXT pins are unprotected on lite units and some faulty things could have easily damage altera, there were protection resistors added to v5.2.
How important is that feature to you?
grifter

Post by grifter »

10/10 important to me. :-)

both of these 1.5 units are new, i had not even hooked them to a scart connector until today. I bought them all when i started this project, then put them in a box when i was distracted by life. Covid has given me a lot of time at home to finish this project. Just finished all the wood working.
superg

Post by superg »

grifter wrote:10/10 important to me. :-)

both of these 1.5 units are new, i had not even hooked them to a scart connector until today. I bought them all when i started this project, then put them in a box when i was distracted by life. Covid has given me a lot of time at home to finish this project. Just finished all the wood working.
Ok, so I can try to troubleshoot the issue then. Let me look into it first, I hope I will have some time this weekend to check what could potentially be wrong. In any way regardless whether I find the issue in the firmware or not, I will need your units for debugging as I don't really have a usable lite unit here :)
jboner1058

Post by jboner1058 »

Back to working man! And whatever you charge to assemble these things with the billions of little spacers... it’s not enough
daty2k1

Post by daty2k1 »

Finally received mine today, beautiful peace of hardware and great packaging too. The universal power supply is really a nice touch. Thanks!
Lelautre

Post by Lelautre »

Hello,

It’s possible to see two differents output in same time? Like SNES in one screen and Megadrive in second screen?

Best regards
superg

Post by superg »

Lelautre wrote:Hello,

It’s possible to see two differents output in same time? Like SNES in one screen and Megadrive in second screen?

Best regards
Hi, yes of course, you can use two outputs at the same time.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

superg wrote:
Lelautre wrote:Hello,

Best regards
Hi, yes of course, you can use two outputs at the same time.
I think he was asking if it was like a matrix switch, both outputs send out the same input IIRC.
superg

Post by superg »

djc5166 wrote: I think he was asking if it was like a matrix switch, both outputs send out the same input IIRC.
Oh, you're right, sorry about that!
In this case no, you can't forward different inputs to each of the outputs.
Lelautre

Post by Lelautre »

Ok thanks for your’s answers ;)))
bboudreaux28

Post by bboudreaux28 »

I apologize if this has been asked before but I have a mixture of ypbpr and RGB sources. Would it be possible to use these component sources in the gscart (along with my RGB sources) via a simple passive adapter like

The gscart would then output to a OSSC, which can handle both RGB and component via scart, so this shouldn't be an issue on the output end.

I suspect the answer is "no" but I thought I would ask. Thanks!