gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
superg

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by superg »

mario64 wrote:Thanks for the clarification superg. Given that, is there any reason not to leave it on all the time?
You might want to disable it if there is another sync stripping circuit is present in your chain and you can't disable it. That includes cables with integrated LM1881, another gscartsw daisy chained, etc. In general you can leave it on.
mikechi2

Post by mikechi2 »

superg wrote:
mario64 wrote:Question concerning the sync regeneration feature. I’ve been testing my consoles with the RetroTINK 5X Pro and have run across a couple which have issues. Specifically 3DO w/citrus3000 mod and consolized Virtual Boy. In both cases Mike tells me the mods output a slightly out of spec sync signal. I enabled sync regeneration but it made no difference. Shouldn’t this have fixed it?

Symptoms on the consolized Virtual Boy are that the picture jumps every second or so. 3DO symptoms are worse. Top of the picture is skewed and you see weird horizontal squiggling lines.
Sync regeneration corrects sync position, amplitude and strips pixel data from the sync signal. With an exception of very specific Sega Master System sync correction (DIP 3), no other fixes are performed due to the complexity. If sync regeneration didn't fix it, there is some problem in the sync pulses structure. Most likely Mike is right that the signal is out of spec.
Fix for 3DO is to patch in composite video for sync instead of using the mod's csync output as the HV combining seems to be slightly off.

So far people have reported that passing the VB consolizer through a RGB2COMP seems to fix the sync. I'm not sure what the root problem is, as I don't own a copy.
superg

Post by superg »

mikechi2 wrote: Fix for 3DO is to patch in composite video for sync instead of using the mod's csync output as the HV combining seems to be slightly off.

So far people have reported that passing the VB consolizer through a RGB2COMP seems to fix the sync. I'm not sure what the root problem is, as I don't own a copy.
Historically CVBS sync is almost always good, some time before fancy RGBS-csync cables every SCART cable was routed for CVBS and it was never a problem. Then people wanted to get "better" and started to route csync instead. For me csync is a marginal difference and uneeded complexity. Nobody that I know of did any proper PSNR analysis of how much "interference" you get in a good shielded cable when using CVBS vs CSYNC. Visually it's not visible and my personal opinion is that the difference is so miniscule that it doesn't really matter :)
The one real CSYNC usecase I can think of is when you're using professional monitor which requires clean sync.
But yeah, you can't really support all the non-compliant/incorrect mod cases, this is simply too much work.
retrofan01

Post by retrofan01 »

superg wrote:
mario64 wrote:Question concerning the sync regeneration feature. I’ve been testing my consoles with the RetroTINK 5X Pro and have run across a couple which have issues. Specifically 3DO w/citrus3000 mod and consolized Virtual Boy. In both cases Mike tells me the mods output a slightly out of spec sync signal. I enabled sync regeneration but it made no difference. Shouldn’t this have fixed it?

Symptoms on the consolized Virtual Boy are that the picture jumps every second or so. 3DO symptoms are worse. Top of the picture is skewed and you see weird horizontal squiggling lines.
Sync regeneration corrects sync position, amplitude and strips pixel data from the sync signal. With an exception of very specific Sega Master System sync correction (DIP 3), no other fixes are performed due to the complexity. If sync regeneration didn't fix it, there is some problem in the sync pulses structure. Most likely Mike is right that the signal is out of spec.
I'm running a RetroTINK 5X with gscartsw purchased new in Dec 2018 (not sure which version that is) and my PAL Master System 2 (modded for 60Hz but no DFO as far as I'm aware) will not reliably output the correct signal unless I enable DIP 3 on the gscartsw. The vast majority of the time, I only get a blank black screen (not a 'no signal' message) - it seems slightly more reliable in 50Hz but even then, this only works maybe 1 in 3 times at most.

I saw on your website that DIP 3 corrects skew on Sony BVM-Ds but I'm running it into an LG BX OLED and the DIP 3 toggle wasn't required with my OSSC. However, enabling DIP 3 causes my SNES, Saturn and Mega Drive to not obtain sync. Do you have any idea what the issue might be here and what fixes/workarounds might be required?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The SMS sync is problematic in general. Support for it was improved in v1.2 of the RT5X firmware with the note that stable sync required "LPF" be enabled, though it was also noted that it was more stable with HDRV cables than SCART (there's some sync processing going on in them).

So, update the RT5X to 1.2 and enable LPF and check if that removes the need for the dip switch change on the gscartsw.
retrofan01

Post by retrofan01 »

I'm already running firmware 1.2 and enabling/disabling LPF doesn't seem to make any difference in terms of the requirement for DIP 3 on the gscartsw.
jboner1058

Post by jboner1058 »

Back with another GScartsw lite issue that needs repair. Last year i blew the audio multiplexers out and fixed that. This year I have an even odder problem. Last night D1 got smoked again (like last time) and I replaced that. Now the ONLY console that will work through the gscart is the sega genesis model 1. Ive tried SNES, NES, 3D0, TurboGraphix, and PS1. Oddly enough if i unplug the power from the gscart i can hear the audio from these devices.
superg

Post by superg »

retrofan01 wrote: I'm running a RetroTINK 5X with gscartsw purchased new in Dec 2018 (not sure which version that is) and my PAL Master System 2 (modded for 60Hz but no DFO as far as I'm aware) will not reliably output the correct signal unless I enable DIP 3 on the gscartsw. The vast majority of the time, I only get a blank black screen (not a 'no signal' message) - it seems slightly more reliable in 50Hz but even then, this only works maybe 1 in 3 times at most.

I saw on your website that DIP 3 corrects skew on Sony BVM-Ds but I'm running it into an LG BX OLED and the DIP 3 toggle wasn't required with my OSSC. However, enabling DIP 3 causes my SNES, Saturn and Mega Drive to not obtain sync. Do you have any idea what the issue might be here and what fixes/workarounds might be required?
Fix your SMS and don't use DIP 3 unless you're using those specific BVM monitors.
jboner1058 wrote:Back with another GScartsw lite issue that needs repair. Last year i blew the audio multiplexers out and fixed that. This year I have an even odder problem. Last night D1 got smoked again (like last time) and I replaced that. Now the ONLY console that will work through the gscart is the sega genesis model 1. Ive tried SNES, NES, 3D0, TurboGraphix, and PS1. Oddly enough if i unplug the power from the gscart i can hear the audio from these devices.
Sorry I don't repair anything anymore. Burned switch is a sign of a serious problem in your setup which you didn't eliminate since the last time.
jboner1058

Post by jboner1058 »

Got it figured out. There was a short between pin 16 and pin 8 on the scart connector of the pvm. Traced it to a lead I clipped off while doing a that was laying on the board. I recapped the pvm like 4 years ago but in moving the monitor to a new location guess that stray clipped off lead found a home
retrofan01

Post by retrofan01 »

superg wrote:Fix your SMS and don't use DIP 3 unless you're using those specific BVM monitors.
To help with a potential fix for my SMS, what exactly is DIP 3 doing (as it's currently the only way to get my SMS2 working reliably on the 5X; the same issue occurs even when connecting my SMS directly to the 5X without the gscartsw) and what would be the consequences of continuing to use it on my LG TV?
superg

Post by superg »

retrofan01 wrote: To help with a potential fix for my SMS, what exactly is DIP 3 doing (as it's currently the only way to get my SMS2 working reliably on the 5X; the same issue occurs even when connecting my SMS directly to the 5X without the gscartsw) and what would be the consequences of continuing to use it on my LG TV?
viewtopic.php?p=1346916#p1346916
scorpion73

Post by scorpion73 »

Hi all

Someone could please tell me if the RetroGamingCable/RetroaAccess Dreamcast RGB SCART cable with selector between 15KhZ/31KhZ is okay with GSCARTSW and RETROTINK 5X?

Thanks in advance.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Hello, I have a PS2 sync on luma scart cable I bought from RetrocablesUKa couple years ago. I am currently using that with my Xstation modded “audiophile” early model PS1 that has the AV multiport as well as the seperate red, white and yellow RCA AV inputs. When I plug the PS2 scart cable in, it works great, picture comes in looking good with no noise or color issues that I can tell, however reading the description for PS1 scart cables on their website it says that, “the PS1 doesn't have the 200uF capacitors between the video encoder and the A/V output socket inside the console but the PS2 does, therefore, our PS1 cables have capacitors inside the SCART plug and our PS2 cables does not. This is to ensure maximum electrical compatibility for each console”.

So does this mean that if I use the PS2 scart cable with my PS1 going into gscart, it could damage the gscart and the PS1 console? Also I am wanting to use a guncon with my PS1, can I plug in the yellow composite cable that comes out of the PS1 Namco guncon into the yellow RCA input of the PS1, or do I have to buy their PS1 guncon cable to have it work and/or my PS2 cable is possibly damaging my equipment so I should buy a PS1 guncon cable anyways? Sorry for the long winded explanation, just want to save $40-50 for one cable if I don’t really need it and wanna make sure I am not damaging my gscarts and console. Thank you!
superg

Post by superg »

teerazzler wrote:Hello, I have a PS2 sync on luma scart cable I bought from RetrocablesUKa couple years ago. I am currently using that with my Xstation modded “audiophile” early model PS1 that has the AV multiport as well as the seperate red, white and yellow RCA AV inputs. When I plug the PS2 scart cable in, it works great, picture comes in looking good with no noise or color issues that I can tell, however reading the description for PS1 scart cables on their website it says that, “the PS1 doesn't have the 200uF capacitors between the video encoder and the A/V output socket inside the console but the PS2 does, therefore, our PS1 cables have capacitors inside the SCART plug and our PS2 cables does not. This is to ensure maximum electrical compatibility for each console”.

So does this mean that if I use the PS2 scart cable with my PS1 going into gscart, it could damage the gscart and the PS1 console? Also I am wanting to use a guncon with my PS1, can I plug in the yellow composite cable that comes out of the PS1 Namco guncon into the yellow RCA input of the PS1, or do I have to buy their PS1 guncon cable to have it work and/or my PS2 cable is possibly damaging my equipment so I should buy a PS1 guncon cable anyways? Sorry for the long winded explanation, just want to save $40-50 for one cable if I don’t really need it and wanna make sure I am not damaging my gscarts and console. Thank you!
No, the cable without capacitors won't damage the switch, if you don't see any issues you can keep using that.
I don't have much experience with GunCon but I think it will work using yellow RCA.
Also, audiophile is not a thing :), other, better PS1 models have the same DAC.
teerazzler

Post by teerazzler »

Awesome! You saved me $50! Appreciate the reply, you rule.
superg

Post by superg »

scorpion73 wrote: Someone could please tell me if the RetroGamingCable/RetroaAccess Dreamcast RGB SCART cable with selector between 15KhZ/31KhZ is okay with GSCARTSW and RETROTINK 5X?
Nobody complained on gscartsw side so it should be no problem and passing higher frequency signal as well as HD up to 1080p was tested.
Not sure about retrotink 5x as it's a new product.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I have the original gscartsw and...I think a gscart_lite (no VGA-style output port on it). Will the 3D printed mounting brackets to install these vertically fit those earlier models, too?
superg

Post by superg »

SavagePencil wrote:I have the original gscartsw and...I think a gscart_lite (no VGA-style output port on it). Will the 3D printed mounting brackets to install these vertically fit those earlier models, too?
gscartsw_lite and newest gscartsw v5.2+ has the same case parts so it's definitely compatible with your lite unit. As of v3.x (the one with VGA), it's mostly compatible but I remember I had two variations with 6mm top plexi and 3mm top plexi so these could have different length white plastic spacers. The best would be to visually check if those spacers have same length on your two switches. (white spacers between bottom plexi panel and PCB)
Gara

Post by Gara »

Looks like Castlemania just raised the price of the Gscartsw from $240 to $289.99 plus the oversized item shipping cost. That's quite a jump! Part shortages hitting that hard?

Edit: looks like I missed the post on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/CastleManiaRyan/sta ... 88929?s=19
I forgot that Castlemania rebrands it as the GScart.
Last edited by Gara on Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Gara wrote:Part shortages hitting that hard?
While I can't speak for this project directly, I can comment about stuff I've involved in...and yes, for the rest of 2021, expect prices to keep rising. I don't think they'll go back down until about Q2 2022. Once again, I'm not talking specifically about these switches, just electronics in general.
alucard971

Post by alucard971 »

Superg,

Is there a comparison chart or revision list for your products? Trying to find out what version gscartsw I have. Bought it in August 2020. Said "gscartsw Item# 51" on the receipt.
superg

Post by superg »

alucard971 wrote:Superg,

Is there a comparison chart or revision list for your products? Trying to find out what version gscartsw I have. Bought it in August 2020. Said "gscartsw Item# 51" on the receipt.
There is no actual comparison table. Version is written on the PCB bottom. If purchased in August 2020 it's most likely v5.3 which is the latest.
alucard971

Post by alucard971 »

I believe I have a 5.2. What would be the difference between the 5.3?
superg

Post by superg »

alucard971 wrote:I believe I have a 5.2. What would be the difference between the 5.3?
Better audio damage protection / audio amplifier and through hole MicroUSB connector, nothing else.
alucard971

Post by alucard971 »

Thank you! Especially for the quick replies. It's an amazing product and a lifesaver as a streamer (and someone with OCD!)
Brellik

Post by Brellik »

I am looking to place a pre-order with Castlemania Games for the gccomp switch, but before I do I was hoping to get a few questions answered.

The gcomp switch page says "HD signal supported (up to 1080p)". Can someone explain what this means? Would that mean 5x mode would not work because the signal would be 1200p?

Otherwise, if the gscomp switch works perfectly fine with 5x mode, if ever upgrade to an OSSC Pro and they implement a 240p 6x for 1440p or even higher would the gcomp switch continue to support all signals?

Thanks for the help.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Brellik wrote:I am looking to place a pre-order with Castlemania Games for the gccomp switch, but before I do I was hoping to get a few questions answered.

The gcomp switch page says "HD signal supported (up to 1080p)". Can someone explain what this means? Would that mean 5x mode would not work because the signal would be 1200p?

Otherwise, if the gscomp switch works perfectly fine with 5x mode, if ever upgrade to an OSSC Pro and they implement a 240p 6x for 1440p or even higher would the gcomp switch continue to support all signals?

Thanks for the help.
Normally you would run consoles from the gcompsw into the RT5x/OSSC Pro.. e.g. Gamecube -> gcompsw -> RetroTink5x. In this scenario, the GC is outputting 480p (maybe higher in some circumstances? But certainly nothing higher than 1080p). It doesn't matter what the RT5x outputs via HDMI.

If you are converting the RT5x 1440p output to component and running it into the gcompsw, then it would not be supported. Though I am not sure why you would do this.
superg

Post by superg »

Brellik wrote:I am looking to place a pre-order with Castlemania Games for the gccomp switch, but before I do I was hoping to get a few questions answered.

Thanks for the help.
Switches don't transcode the signal, what you send is what you get on the output. HD support means that you can use gcompsw for modern consoles such as PS3 and still being able to use resolutions up to 1080p.
Brellik

Post by Brellik »

Switches don't transcode the signal, what you send is what you get on the output. HD support means that you can use gcompsw for modern consoles such as PS3 and still being able to use resolutions up to 1080p
Thank you clarifying!
LXXero

Post by LXXero »

Hi, I recently pre-ordered a gscartsw and I had a couple of questions to prepare before it's arrival.

First question, for the bumper cases that Greg makes, does the 5.2 version work correctly with the latest 5.3 revision? I understand that it's surface vs thru-hole mount on the microusb connector, I just wanted to make sure there isn't any difference in positioning that would cause issues.

Second, most of my stuff is RGB with csync, but I have an AV-Out modded gameboy advance that only outputs composite. I was thinking I could use one of those cheap SCART composite+audio adapters, and plug that into one of the inputs, and then use my PVM's passthru output for the sync jack, and run it into a composite input jack, and simply switch the PVM to that composite input when I'm using the AV-out mod? It's my understanding that as long as the sync regeneration DIP is turned off, the composite video should pass through the switch correctly (and thus pass through my pvm's "thru" ports to a composite input), but I wanted to confirm so I can get all the right pieces ordered.

I do realize I could just run the composite input directly to the PVM, but I'd like to use the gscartsw to switch the audio, as I don't use the PVM's internal speaker.