shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 9:12 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 182, 183, 184, 185, 186
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:53 pm 

ldeveraux wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:
Question for SuperG, but is it possible to use any mini usb to usb wall charger for the gscartsw, or is that not recommended? I was thinking of combining it into a single wall adapter along with the rgb2comp, which is flexible at using any wall charger apparently. If this isn't recommended then I won't attempt it however.

This was asked and answered about a month or so back.

Thank you. Looked back but it didn't seem to be the exact question (the one I saw was asking about gscartsw + gcomp), but if I understand correctly since both the newer gscartsw from a few years ago and the rgb2comp use micro usb, it should be ok?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:51 pm 

Taiyaki wrote:
Question for SuperG, but is it possible to use any mini usb to usb wall charger for the gscartsw, or is that not recommended? I was thinking of combining it into a single wall adapter along with the rgb2comp, which is flexible at using any wall charger apparently. If this isn't recommended then I won't attempt it however.

Yes if it's the switch version with native MicroUSB (not barrel jack).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:20 pm 

superg wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:

Yes if it's the switch version with native MicroUSB (not barrel jack).

Thank you! Yes my more recent scartsw is the one with native MicroUSB.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:02 am 

Taiyaki wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:

This was asked and answered about a month or so back.

Thank you. Looked back but it didn't seem to be the exact question (the one I saw was asking about gscartsw + gcomp), but if I understand correctly since both the newer gscartsw from a few years ago and the rgb2comp use micro usb, it should be ok?

Man, I submitted before actually giving the answer! Sorry about that!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:42 am 

ldeveraux wrote:
Man, I submitted before actually giving the answer! Sorry about that!

No problem. Fortunately Superg confirmed it works. Those Micro USB connectors are so practical.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:24 pm 

Guys, I will be phasing out my courtesy repair services, that includes everything that is user faults and older units. I always tried to help the best I can and I never charged the "real" repair price, only the components and shipping. I was trying to stay on top of things but turned out that's not enough for some people. I'm getting insulted privately and people are constantly testing my limits. I'm often getting switches for the repair where it's a clear 100% user fault and user damage and when I communicate about that I'm getting all the heat. People want free stuff, people want free time and full refunds! Switches don't usually die by themselves and this is a niche market.
It might be that from now on I will not be selling anything directly. Everything will be handled through CastleMania Games and warranty terms will likely be updated to be more realistic. This topic will be eventually closed. I'm tired.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:44 pm 

Sorry to hear you've been getting grief over support, superg - you've been great with me!

Since I left a bit of a loose end in the thread (as superg has been helping me in DMs), I now think my gscartsw is fine but the TV I'm using is introducing some sort of noise; if I plug my audio breakout into the switch without the TV attached, audio stays perfect. Also, my longer and less-shielded cable results in less audio interference, which is a bit fishy.

I'm waiting on getting my crappy SCART->HDMI converter back from a friend in a couple of weeks so i can verify whether my problem is "the TV messes things up" or "plugging the SCART into anything messes things up". Hopefully, everything works fine with this and I have both a perfectly functional gscartsw and a great excuse to upgrade my 14" CRT to something more in the 20" region!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:34 am 

superg wrote:
Guys, I will be phasing out my courtesy repair services, that includes everything that is user faults and older units. I always tried to help the best I can and I never charged the "real" repair price, only the components and shipping. I was trying to stay on top of things but turned out that's not enough for some people. I'm getting insulted privately and people are constantly testing my limits. I'm often getting switches for the repair where it's a clear 100% user fault and user damage and when I communicate about that I'm getting all the heat. People want free stuff, people want free time and full refunds! Switches don't usually die by themselves and this is a niche market.
It might be that from now on I will not be selling anything directly. Everything will be handled through CastleMania Games and warranty terms will likely be updated to be more realistic. This topic will be eventually closed. I'm tired.

May not mean much, but I'm still rolling with one of your 2014 era switches I got from you from the Assemblergames forum. Never had a problem and has always been up to the task. People suck.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:14 am 

This is incredibly sad to hear but also not very surprising unfortunately. It's already quite an achievement to have done this for so long. Thank you superg.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:25 am 

superg wrote:

Really sorry to hear that. Unfortunately the 1% or so of trolls can really drag you down. On my part, your switches have become a treasured part of my (and I'm sure many others) setup.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:42 pm 

Hi superg,

I'm working on a feature for the upcoming OSSC Pro that uses the EXT port of gscartsw/gcompsw, specifically pins 2 and 5-7 for querying and overriding the selected input port. The former case allows auto-loading a specific settings profile based on the input number (which the switch automatically selects based on port activity). I'm testing the implementation against a gscartsw 5.2, it works well so far. The I/O standard on the Cyclone V side is 3.3V LVTTL, so no level shifting is needed.

Of course it would be good to know which models or revisions that functionality was introduced with, and what changes were made to the interface (if any) that would be important take into account regarding electrical and functional compatibility. That way it could be known which models/revisions are covered already and which ones could be supported with appropriate adaptations. Could you provide some information on that?

Sorry to hear that about your sale and support situation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:08 pm 

6t8k wrote:
Hi superg,

I'm working on a feature for the upcoming OSSC Pro that uses the EXT port of gscartsw/gcompsw, specifically pins 2 and 5-7 for querying and overriding the selected input port. The former case allows auto-loading a specific settings profile based on the input number (which the switch automatically selects based on port activity). I'm testing the implementation against a gscartsw 5.2, it works well so far. The I/O standard on the Cyclone V side is 3.3V LVTTL, so no level shifting is needed.

Of course it would be good to know which models or revisions that functionality was introduced with, and what changes were made to the interface (if any) that would be important take into account regarding electrical and functional compatibility. That way it could be known which models/revisions are covered already and which ones could be supported with appropriate adaptations. Could you provide some information on that?

Sorry to hear that about your sale and support situation.

EXT was introduced starting from gscartsw v3.x, which allowed only the query:
1. gscartsw 3.x - query only
2. gscartsw_lite / gcompsw 4:1 - query only, I recall there were some issues with override
3. gscartsw/gcompsw 5.x - both query and override

I don't think much changed across revisions (like levels), pinout remains the same. EXT protection resistors were added in 5.x.

One of a recent "support" case was a guy who said that "he touched SCART cable while having static buildup" and 4 switch ports stopped working. Shipped the switch here and I found out that 2 EXT Altera IC lines were deliberately burned which prevented switch from selecting half of the input ports. I don't replace Altera IC because it requires good tools, skill and a lot of patience / time so I said that most likely won't be able to repair it and guy asked for a full refund. I ended up relocating the ports and creating the custom firmware (fixed it) but I regret adding EXT at all. Too many issues with incompetent people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:28 pm 

superg wrote:
EXT was introduced starting from gscartsw v3.x, which allowed only the query:
1. gscartsw 3.x - query only
2. gscartsw_lite / gcompsw 4:1 - query only, I recall there were some issues with override
3. gscartsw/gcompsw 5.x - both query and override

I don't think much changed across revisions (like levels), pinout remains the same. EXT protection resistors were added in 5.x.

One of a recent "support" case was a guy who said that "he touched SCART cable while having static buildup" and 4 switch ports stopped working. Shipped the switch here and I found out that 2 EXT Altera IC lines were deliberately burned which prevented switch from selecting half of the input ports. I don't replace Altera IC because it requires good tools, skill and a lot of patience / time so I said that most likely won't be able to repair it and guy asked for a full refund. I ended up relocating the ports and creating the custom firmware (fixed it) but I regret adding EXT at all. Too many issues with incompetent people.

Thanks a lot! Looks like if I include the override functionality, it'll have to be a separate version exclusively intended for gscartsw/gcompsw 5.x then. Of course I don't expect you to provide any support for this OSSC Pro connectivity specifically, whether or not override will be included. It's all the more appreciated that you're helping me here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:55 pm 

archimage wrote:
archimage

Today I got an open paypal case from this user which was quickly escalated to a claim, while I was sleeping, not leaving me the chance for the reply and I would like to expose the forum user to everybody here.
He is long time user of my products, he ordered his last switch from me on November 17, 2020. The story starts in January 2021 when he damaged the last gscartsw version by plugging some audio equipment to SCART breakout board and "seeing spark" before sound died. All these 4 months I was patiently helping him until that was simply too much for me. There was a lot of communication, I've been helping him to repair the switch remotely, that didn't work out. He shipped the switch here and I fixed it. After I shipped the switch back and warned him not to kill it and figure out his setup problem before plugging it in again, he killed it the next day BY DOING EXACTLY THE SAME as he did when it died the first time. I tried to help him again, he managed to repair it and kill it again, a few iterations of that. In a process he was a total mess, didn't follow my instructions, started to replace some random switch components. He was loosing resistors and capacitors, breaking the traces and constantly asking me information what is connected where and I was patient enough until that was simply unbearable. After I refused to spend more of my time with this all, he started to insult me privately. That was all acceptable, I can't please everybody but today he brought it to another level by trying to steal my money.

First some technical insight, he says he sees sparks when he connects speakers to the switch and that's what kills it. He also lives in 200 years old house and is feeling current by touching HDMI cable in his house. What in my opinion is going on is that there is some fundamental problem either in a apartament wiring (uneven grounds) or something else is totally non compliant. A lot of switch users are hot plugging audio, video, SCART signals and there are hundreds of different configurations and it's never a problem with any switch version.

Second, now I am forced to spend much more time to prepare the claim documents to paypal and I am willing to go all the way even if that involves legal help.
(admin edit - link removed)

Lastly, I've had enough and I am stopping all switch sales.
All current orders will be shipped in the next few days, if you made the order, I will ship it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:59 pm 

I made a claim because I paid for a product that doesn't work as expected.

I knew you warned your device could die because of superguns, as it's not protected against them. But I didn't know hotplugging audio speaker could kill it too. Again I repeat I have tons of audio equipment with my gear and 4 of your switches never one died. You call this luck, and you bet they will die the same way, this is not enough to say it's my fault and let me down.

Now please be realistic about support and professionalism and respect my right to open a claim to sort a situation where someone else is analyzing facts. You broke the communication and I had no intention for this but you gave me no other choice.

You started breaking respect giving me free hints for my personal life : time is money. This is not my point of view. Money is money and I spent a lot on your products. And knowledge about the issue could lead you to a better product but you prefer to lose a long time customer as long as this is a minor loss compared to your benefits.

All of these public insults you made here and on your site are outrageous and it's completely crazy to hold me responsible or as an excuse for stopping selling Gscartsw.

Units can be defective, standing with a product is also standing with customers. I had alternatives like Hydra and Otaku but I wanted to stick with a product I was happy with counting for solid support as I am long time buyer. I was wrong it was a miscalculation.

I paid for what you asked for the shipping, the fix, and I also offered to buy another unit and send you back this unit to check in depth you refused and ignored me.

You can't fix everything you've done behaving like this, but you can remove all of this outrageous and unprofessional debacle from here and your site just to respect the initial contract between us and let paypal consider the facts.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 182, 183, 184, 185, 186