gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
the Goat

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by the Goat »

fernan1234 wrote:Does anyone have experience chaining a gscart with a non-gscart switch? Right now I'm having to chain a gscart lite to another switch that has a sync stripper so that the gscart can work with my Extron rxi interface (since apparently the gscart's sync regeneration does not do any good at all to work with an Extron interface).
The output from my gscartsw goes into an Extron Crosspoint Ultra which outputs to an Extron Rxi (looped back into the Extron Crosspoint) and a Sony BVM. Everything works fine with no distortion or noticeable delays. Also the gscartsw sync regeneration works just fine with the Extron devices.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

the Goat wrote:The output from my gscartsw goes into an Extron Crosspoint Ultra which outputs to an Extron Rxi (looped back into the Extron Crosspoint) and a Sony BVM. Everything works fine with no distortion or noticeable delays. Also the gscartsw sync regeneration works just fine with the Extron devices.
Maybe your Extron Crosspoint in between is what's helping you. My gscartsw lite connected to an Extron 203 Rxi through a SCART to 15-pin D-sub cable (with no sync stripper) only produces a horizontally rolling and discolored picture at best. Another user reported the same issue with the new gscartsw, and I recall seeing an older post of the same nature by another user of the gscart lite. Superg replied recently that he doesn't own Extron stuff so compatibility is not guaranteed.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

fernan1234 wrote:
the Goat wrote:The output from my gscartsw goes into an Extron Crosspoint Ultra which outputs to an Extron Rxi (looped back into the Extron Crosspoint) and a Sony BVM. Everything works fine with no distortion or noticeable delays. Also the gscartsw sync regeneration works just fine with the Extron devices.
Maybe your Extron Crosspoint in between is what's helping you. My gscartsw lite connected to an Extron 203 Rxi through a SCART to 15-pin D-sub cable (with no sync stripper) only produces a horizontally rolling and discolored picture at best. Another user reported the same issue with the new gscartsw, and I recall seeing an older post of the same nature by another user of the gscart lite. Superg replied recently that he doesn't own Extron stuff so compatibility is not guaranteed.
Right, The Extron Crosspoint might be doing some secret magic on the signal. I do not have the correct cable to connect the gscartsw directly to the Extron Rxi. Otherwise I would do that experiment.
-the Goat
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

the Goat wrote:Right, The Extron Crosspoint might be doing some secret magic on the signal. I do not have the correct cable to connect the gscartsw directly to the Extron Rxi. Otherwise I would do that experiment.
One thing you could try is turning the sync regeneration off just to confirm that it's not contributing anything and that the Crosspoint is doing all the work for compatibility with the Rxi.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

I don't own any Extron stuff. So please excuse me if I'm way off.

Doesn't a good portion of Extron equipment expect TTL level sync? The gscartsw is definitely not going to output that. And, in theory your consoles shouldn't be doing that either unless you have a sync stripper already built into your individual cables that isn't brought back into scart spec.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Received mine as well, works fine so far. Thanks !
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DirkSwizzler wrote:I don't own any Extron stuff. So please excuse me if I'm way off.

Doesn't a good portion of Extron equipment expect TTL level sync? The gscartsw is definitely not going to output that. And, in theory your consoles shouldn't be doing that either unless you have a sync stripper already built into your individual cables that isn't brought back into scart spec.
Usually the issue is that Extron equipment expects clean composite sync, which is difficult to get without a sync stripper. Extron equipment doesn't usually have a problem accepting 75Ohm/1Vp-p composite sync, though you may need to flip a switch to get it working.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

nmalinoski wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:I don't own any Extron stuff. So please excuse me if I'm way off.

Usually the issue is that Extron equipment expects clean composite sync, which is difficult to get without a sync stripper. Extron equipment doesn't usually have a problem accepting 75Ohm/1Vp-p composite sync, though you may need to flip a switch to get it working.
True, the first four inputs on the Extron Crosspoint Ultra have configurable impedance on the sync lines (75 or 510 Ohms). I've never touched those switches. Every signal (with clean csync) I've tried with my unit has worked with the default settings.

But, yes I can confirm the Extron Crosspoint Ultra does not work with csync substitutes. ie. sync on luma or sync on composite video.
-the Goat
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

the Goat wrote: But, yes I can confirm the Extron Crosspoint Ultra does not work with csync substitutes. ie. sync on luma or sync on composite video.
The Rxi doesn't work even with csync connections. All types of RGBS signals (csync, composite video, and luma) all make the monitor look like it took LSD. Different combinations of gscart sync regeneration and the Rxi's dip switches only make the picture slightly less messed up at best. It basically looks the same as when you connect a non combined HV sync to a monitor that requires RGBS.

The only thing I was able to successfully pass from the gscart to the Rxi without intermediaries was a Wii with WiiDual outputting RGsB.
vraskin

Post by vraskin »

fernan1234 wrote:
I think I may be the other user you're referring to who was having issues with the Extron 203 RXI. I actually managed to get a step further by adding a Sync Strike between the gscartsw and the Extron - now I get an actual picture but it still has some sync issues. Here's a Reddit thread I made about the issue in case it helps anyone:

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... n_203_rxi/

I don't think the gscartsw is the issue here - I have the same problem even if I go directly from console to Extron via the Sync Strike.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

vraskin wrote:I think I may be the other user you're referring to who was having issues with the Extron 203 RXI. I actually managed to get a step further by adding a Sync Strike between the gscartsw and the Extron - now I get an actual picture but it still has some sync issues. Here's a Reddit thread I made about the issue in case it helps anyone:

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... n_203_rxi/

I don't think the gscartsw is the issue here - I have the same problem even if I go directly from console to Extron via the Sync Strike.
I think you were one of the users I saw having issues, yes. My issue is very different though. Our setups are pretty similar except that instead of a sync strike I have another mechanical switch that has what appears to be a sync stripper toggle, and I use a SCART to VGA cable by retro access. I'm not sure exactly what this toggle on the other non-gscart switch does, it's labeled simply as CS/CV, which made me assumes it switches between csync and composite video sync, but there is only limited info on the Chinese Taobao page where it's sold. It only says to use this toggle when there are sync problems. Back when I was going from that switch -> BNC breakout -> BVM, both options worked fine, but when I went from switch -> SCART-to-VGA -> Extron Rxi -> BVM only one worked. Then I tried swapping out that mechanical switch with the gscartsw and nothing works, I just get a discolored and rolling picture.

But as I said before, chaining the gscart to the other switch solves the sync problem but it also generates faint waving interference across the screen, it's hard to notice at times but it's definitely there. Maybe some kind of crosstalk between the two?

I read another post earlier by someone who said they got their gscart to work with an Rxi by using a SCART-to-VGA with a built-in sync stripper, but if the sync strike in your setup still has issues then maybe the gscart is just not a good match for Rxi users (or we need a Crosspoint going by what user the Goat has reported).
vraskin

Post by vraskin »

Well, I just impulse-bought a cheap crosspoint I found on ebay (to much eye-rolling from my girlfriend), so I guess I'll know for sure when it gets here in a week and a half :D
hbard

Post by hbard »

fernan1234 wrote: Maybe your Extron Crosspoint in between is what's helping you. My gscartsw lite connected to an Extron 203 Rxi through a SCART to 15-pin D-sub cable (with no sync stripper) only produces a horizontally rolling and discolored picture at best. Another user reported the same issue with the new gscartsw, and I recall seeing an older post of the same nature by another user of the gscart lite. Superg replied recently that he doesn't own Extron stuff so compatibility is not guaranteed.
I'm running the same setup (gscart->rxi->bvm). At first I used no sync stripper because I didn't think I would need it, but I had a rolling picture with Neo Geo AES. As soon as I installed a sync stripper into the cable I had no issues. There was no rolling sync when going directly to the monitor but I need the Extron for SERR. Extron rxi isn't liking the sync that is being sent to it.
Last edited by hbard on Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

hbard wrote: I'm running the same setup. At first I used no sync stripper because I didn't think I would need it, but I had a rolling picture with Neo Geo AES. As soon as I installed a sync stripper into the cable I had no issues. There was no rolling sync when going directly to the monitor but I need the Extron for SERR. Extron rxi isn't liking the sync that is being sent to it.
This is encouraging, though weirdly none of my consoles work in my case, not even ones with csync cables. I'm still waiting on that cable with sync stripper by retroaccess. Should be here next week. I'll come back and confirm if this also works for me.
Dekkia

Post by Dekkia »

I got an update to my post from a while ago:

They declined the import.

I got a letter which basically states that the gscartsw* isn't comform (I don't know to what, they didn't tell me) an that it is because of that illegal to import.
They gave me 3 options:
- Letting them send it back to superg
- Letting them destroy it
- appealing to the taking back of the import (in german: Einspruch gegen die Rücknahme der Annahme der Zollanmeldung)

I of course sent them an appeal. I don't believe I'll get my gscartsw* but I didn't want to give up that easy. I also wanted to send a Fax (I never did that before, lol)

If anybody speaks german and wants to take a look at it, here you go: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
I of course blanked out some details.

Out of couriosity: Since I'm probably on a watchlist now, is there anybody in the EU who wants to help me out? You'll import it for me and then send it to me inside the EU. I'll of course pay for everything :P

* They're calling it a "Multi-Connectorplate for Scart-Plugs with Power Supply" ("Mehrfach-Anschlussplatte für Scartstecker mit Netzteil")
superg

Post by superg »

Dekkia wrote:I got an update to my post from a while ago:

They declined the import.

I got a letter which basically states that the gscartsw* isn't comform (I don't know to what, they didn't tell me) an that it is because of that illegal to import.
They gave me 3 options:
- Letting them send it back to superg
- Letting them destroy it
- appealing to the taking back of the import (in german: Einspruch gegen die Rücknahme der Annahme der Zollanmeldung)

I of course sent them an appeal. I don't believe I'll get my gscartsw* but I didn't want to give up that easy. I also wanted to send a Fax (I never did that before, lol)

If anybody speaks german and wants to take a look at it, here you go: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
I of course blanked out some details.

Out of couriosity: Since I'm probably on a watchlist now, is there anybody in the EU who wants to help me out? You'll import it for me and then send it to me inside the EU. I'll of course pay for everything :P

* They're calling it a "Multi-Connectorplate for Scart-Plugs with Power Supply" ("Mehrfach-Anschlussplatte für Scartstecker mit Netzteil")
Wow this is so unfortunate, I'm sorry you have to go through this. I'm curious why they don't like power supply (amongst other things), videogameperfection is using the same supply without any problems (different voltage but it doesn't matter). Apart from the tendency is worrying as there are a lot of hobby devices like this, OSSC, stuff from ArcadeForge etc. At any point if you will get tired of this, tell them to ship it back and I will do my best to arrange something else (different form of shipping, some paperwork inside etc.). Also I will put a warning on my order page about the situation.
Dekkia

Post by Dekkia »

superg wrote: Wow this is so unfortunate, I'm sorry you have to go through this. I'm curious why they don't like power supply (amongst other things), videogameperfection is using the same supply without any problems (different voltage but it doesn't matter). Apart from the tendency is worrying as there are a lot of hobby devices like this, OSSC, stuff from ArcadeForge etc. At any point if you will get tired of this, tell them to ship it back and I will do my best to arrange something else (different form of shipping, some paperwork inside etc.). Also I will put a warning on my order page about the situation.
Ordering an OSSC isn't a problem (at this time) because they're shipping from GB. I got mine directly to my doorstep without any problems whatsoever.
As soon as something has been successfully imported into any EU-Coutry nobody bats an eye.

I'll definitely take you up on your offer to try to arrange something else as soon as they deny my appeal.
I'll keep y'all updated.
superg

Post by superg »

Dekkia wrote:Ordering an OSSC isn't a problem (at this time) because they're shipping from GB. I got mine directly to my doorstep without any problems whatsoever.
As soon as something has been successfully imported into any EU-Coutry nobody bats an eye.
Yeah, that is understandable. IMO it's so much simpler in the US, usually you pay nothing when you import anything from any country (of course if you don't do anything out of ordinary).
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Wow I had no idea the customs in Germany could be so fussy.
superg

Post by superg »

Taiyaki wrote:Wow I had no idea the customs in Germany could be so fussy.
This is the first time. Could be very formal customs employee who is either incorrect or is following the guidelines precisely. Ultimately I think that it brings more harm than good.
KentaZX

Post by KentaZX »

While I'm waiting to order more SCART cables for my gaming setup now I got this switch and saving up money for some modding services for my Famicom and PC Engine Duo RX, I might as well ask this:

Has anyone tried to use this together with the Bandridge SVB7725 or the HAMA AV SELECTOR 100S? Is it a bad idea to do that? Was there no issues?

Also in case if its important to note, I'm expecting to connect to both my PVM (Sony 14L5) and the OSSC to my 4KTV (SAMSUNG 6290 model). Is that going to be an issue?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

KentaZX wrote:saving up money for some modding services for my Famicom and PC Engine Duo RX
I offer RGB modding service for consoles (and other mods too). Drop me a PM if you need some work done.
KentaZX wrote:Has anyone tried to use this together with the Bandridge SVB7725? Is it a bad idea to do that? Was there no issues?
I have a manual Bandridge SCART switch. I'm not sure if it is that exact model number. I daisy chained it with my gscartsw v3.4 at one point and it worked fine. But I didn't use it in that setup because the shelving unit I use to hold my consoles can't hold that many things. I have not tried with the new gscartsw.
KentaZX wrote:Also in case if its important to note, I'm expecting to connect to both my PVM (Sony 14L5) and the OSSC to my 4KTV (SAMSUNG 6290 model). Is that going to be an issue?
Should be no problem. I think the gscartsw has two outputs explicitly so you can do setups like you are asking about.
-the Goat
KentaZX

Post by KentaZX »

the Goat wrote:
KentaZX wrote:saving up money for some modding services for my Famicom and PC Engine Duo RX
I offer RGB modding service for consoles (and other mods too). Drop me a PM if you need some work done.
KentaZX wrote:Has anyone tried to use this together with the Bandridge SVB7725? Is it a bad idea to do that? Was there no issues?
I have a manual Bandridge SCART switch. I'm not sure if it is that exact model number. I daisy chained it with my gscartsw v3.4 at one point and it worked fine. But I didn't use it in that setup because the shelving unit I use to hold my consoles can't hold that many things. I have not tried with the new gscartsw.
KentaZX wrote:Also in case if its important to note, I'm expecting to connect to both my PVM (Sony 14L5) and the OSSC to my 4KTV (SAMSUNG 6290 model). Is that going to be an issue?
Should be no problem. I think the gscartsw has two outputs explicitly so you can do setups like you are asking about.
The manual switch, yes thats the exact one I have so thats perfect. Thanks for answering.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I realize preorders for the gcompsw haven't happened yet, but I'm starting to think ahead. I have a series of automatic SCART switches for most of my systems, but I have plenty the still output component. Currently I have them going directly to my receiver, likely lagging, so I'm looking forward to the automatic switch. With that said, I need a way to integrate the gcompsw into the system, hopefully utilizing the same path through the OSSC. I've never had luck with the automatic input detection of the OSSC; it always seems to continuously cycle or stop on the wrong input.

Is gcompsw>OSSC the best method here? Or is there a great component to SCART converter so that I can integrate the gcompsw into the SCART switches?
superg

Post by superg »

gcompsw update: I got all the manufacturer quotes and I'm ready for the gcompsw pre orders. I will calculate the final price tonight and update gretrostuff page accordingly. The ETA is two months, I don't foresee development delays as the product is finished. This Saturday around 9am EST it should be available to pre order.
gscartsw update: PCB manufacturing is finished, everything is according to the schedule for delivery in May.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

superg wrote:gscartsw update: PCB manufacturing is finished, everything is according to the schedule for delivery in May.
Great news, thanks for the update. :)
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I've experience a small anomaly with a white JP Sega Saturn connected through the gscartsw lite + RA csync cable. The boot/splash screen sound cuts off after about half a second. Game sound is normal. This only happens with the gscart. Has anyone experienced this or have an idea of why it happens?
mj23kb08

Post by mj23kb08 »

superg wrote:gcompsw update: I got all the manufacturer quotes and I'm ready for the gcompsw pre orders. I will calculate the final price tonight and update gretrostuff page accordingly. The ETA is two months, I don't foresee development delays as the product is finished. This Saturday around 9am EST it should be available to pre order.
gscartsw update: PCB manufacturing is finished, everything is according to the schedule for delivery in May.
How long will preorders for this first batch of the gcompsw be open? I've been waiting for this for months, and I'd love to get in on the first batch shipment, but I'm much lower in funds than I expected to be, so it might be around a month before I can comfortably afford it.
superg

Post by superg »

mj23kb08 wrote:
superg wrote:gcompsw update: I got all the manufacturer quotes and I'm ready for the gcompsw pre orders. I will calculate the final price tonight and update gretrostuff page accordingly. The ETA is two months, I don't foresee development delays as the product is finished. This Saturday around 9am EST it should be available to pre order.
How long will preorders for this first batch of the gcompsw be open? I've been waiting for this for months, and I'd love to get in on the first batch shipment, but I'm much lower in funds than I expected to be, so it might be around a month before I can comfortably afford it.
I plan to keep it open but I'm currently working with StoneAgeGamer on the distribution so it will remain open until I hand everything to them. The first gcompsw batch will be ordered 2-3 weeks after I open the pre orders.
rigisme

Post by rigisme »

superg wrote:
mj23kb08 wrote:
I plan to keep it open but I'm currently working with StoneAgeGamer on the distribution so it will remain open until I hand everything to them. The first gcompsw batch will be ordered 2-3 weeks after I open the pre orders.
So the upcoming preorder would be with or without SAG involved?
Just curious if there'd be design changes (different enclosure?) when they get stuff handed to them.