shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:19 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:26 am 



Joined: 13 Nov 2020
Posts: 1
I received the gcomp today. I have two systems hooked up so far, and they work well. When I turn them both off though, the green light stays on and the screen flickers. Is this reason for concern? The 2 systems hooked up are Saturn with HD retrovision cables and Super NT with Analogue DAC.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1446
Location: US, MI
yarayar wrote:
I received the gcomp today. I have two systems hooked up so far, and they work well. When I turn them both off though, the green light stays on and the screen flickers. Is this reason for concern? The 2 systems hooked up are Saturn with HD retrovision cables and Super NT with Analogue DAC.

Most likely your Analogue DAC has something different from logic low on the sync line when it's off. It's safe to ignore.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2010
Posts: 46
Location: UK
Hello, all. After receiving my gscartsw today, I set about testing it with everything that I have and encountered two issues.

Firstly, my XRGB-Mini detects no signal from an original, unmodified, PC Engine - as used with this cable. However, that is only the case where the gscartsw is in the chain. The cable works well otherwise.

Secondly, the XRGB initially detected no signal from a Mega Drive (model 1), as used with a cable sold by retro_console_accessories (long before retro-access.com existed), which was described as "Megadrive 1 stereo RGB SCART with boosted sync". Again, the cable works if attached directly from the console to the XRGB. Fortunately, I have a different RGB SCART cable, as was originally sold with the Mega Drive itself. As it happens, that one works - with or without the gscartsw in the chain. Eventually, I realised that I could make the retro_console_accessories cable work by toggling on the first dip switch.

Regarding the PC Engine, is there anything that I can realistically do or am I going to be needing a mod of some kind? Also, can someone help me understand why I had to enable sync regeneration for the retro_console_accessories MD cable to work with the gscartsw, but not the other?

Finally, It occured to me that I should test a different SCART cable for connecting the gscartsw to the XRGB. Unfortunately, the only one that I have spare turned out to be broken so I won't be able to do that until sometime next week.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:59 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1446
Location: US, MI
kerframil wrote:
Firstly, my XRGB-Mini detects no signal from an original, unmodified, PC Engine - as used with this cable. However, that is only the case where the gscartsw is in the chain. The cable works well otherwise.

PC Engine / TurboGrafx is known to have issues. Two configurations which are proven to work are db GrafxBooster and voultar mods. The other modifications, only god knows what's inside. My answer is that something is out of specs in that amplified cable.

kerframil wrote:
Secondly, the XRGB initially detected no signal from a Mega Drive (model 1), as used with a cable sold by retro_console_accessories (long before retro-access.com existed), which was described as "Megadrive 1 stereo RGB SCART with boosted sync". Again, the cable works if attached directly from the console to the XRGB. Fortunately, I have a different RGB SCART cable, as was originally sold with the Mega Drive itself. As it happens, that one works - with or without the gscartsw in the chain. Eventually, I realised that I could make the retro_console_accessories cable work by toggling on the first dip switch.

Boosted sync is your issue here. It's recommended to use cables without sync strippers inside. Sync regeneration was created exactly for this kind of issues.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2010
Posts: 46
Location: UK
superg wrote:
PC Engine / TurboGrafx is known to have issues. Two configurations which are proven to work are db GrafxBooster and voultar mods. The other modifications, only god knows what's inside. My answer is that something is out of specs in that amplified cable.

I see.
superg wrote:
Boosted sync is your issue here. It's recommended to use cables without sync strippers inside. Sync regeneration was created exactly for this kind of issues.

Let me see whether I understand this correctly. The retro_console_accessories cable that I have…

  • taps csync from the console
  • amplifies the csync signal (hence, "boosted")
  • doesn't properly attenuate said signal

On the other hand, my other cable is trouble-free because, regardless of whether it uses cvideo or csync, it probably contains no amplifier. Is that right?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:01 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1446
Location: US, MI
kerframil wrote:
Let me see whether I understand this correctly. The retro_console_accessories cable that I have…

  • taps csync from the console
  • amplifies the csync signal (hence, "boosted")
  • doesn't properly attenuate said signal

On the other hand, my other cable is trouble-free because, regardless of whether it uses cvideo or csync, it probably contains no amplifier. Is that right?

Not exactly. Usually it takes sync from composite video and "cleans" it with LM1881 or equivalent chip, hence the "CSYNC" in the name. It looks like it's an early cable which is not manufactured anymore.
Usually there is nothing to boost if you take CSYNC directly from the console, that needs to be attenuated to the correct level with resistor, not boosted.
In general, if we speak quality, you don't want any extra circuits / processing / cable length. Keep your cables short whenever possible, prefer packapunch from RGC or minicoax from retro-access and make sure the cables don't have active components inside (only if that's absolutely needed in PC Engine case). You will get less latency and you will get better image quality.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:15 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2010
Posts: 46
Location: UK
superg wrote:
Not exactly. Usually it takes sync from composite video and "cleans" it with LM1881 or equivalent chip, hence the "CSYNC" in the name. It looks like it's an early cable which is not manufactured anymore.
Usually there is nothing to boost if you take CSYNC directly from the console, that needs to be attenuated to the correct level with resistor, not boosted.

The Mega Drive has a dedicated pin for sync though, doesn't it. I can't think of any good reason for Drew to have ever manufactured a cable that uses the composite video pin for that purpose. But who knows - maybe she did and I bought it unawares. Either way, it's a turkey and I will be disposing of it in in short order.

superg wrote:
In general, if we speak quality, you don't want any extra circuits / processing / cable length. Keep your cables short whenever possible, prefer packapunch from RGC or minicoax from retro-access and make sure the cables don't have active components inside (only if that's absolutely needed in PC Engine case). You will get less latency and you will get better image quality.

Roger that. Thanks.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:31 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2020
Posts: 21
Location: Salem, NH
This is mainly a question for the designer:

Could these switches be configured to load a specific OSSC profile whenever an input is selected?
I don’t believe an interface for this exists yet, but maybe it could be done with a USB IR blaster or something.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:34 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2020
Posts: 21
Location: Salem, NH
Now that I think of it, with the OSSC being open source and all, you could probably design a switch with an integrated OSSC.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:38 am 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1446
Location: US, MI
Downcry wrote:
This is mainly a question for the designer:

Could these switches be configured to load a specific OSSC profile whenever an input is selected?
I don’t believe an interface for this exists yet, but maybe it could be done with a USB IR blaster or something.

I don't immediately understand what is needed from the switch side in order to do what you're asking.

There is an EXT header which can be used to query information on active port.
If you're electronics savvy you can design a simple board which will process this information and possible control some external device.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:52 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2020
Posts: 21
Location: Salem, NH
superg wrote:
Downcry wrote:
This is mainly a question for the designer:

Could these switches be configured to load a specific OSSC profile whenever an input is selected?
I don’t believe an interface for this exists yet, but maybe it could be done with a USB IR blaster or something.

I don't immediately understand what is needed from the switch side in order to do what you're asking.

There is an EXT header which can be used to query information on active port.
If you're electronics savvy you can design a simple board which will process this information and possible control some external device.


It would require two things I think:
1 - I would need to know whenever the active source switches
2 - I would need to know which source (1-8) is active after a switch

I suppose if I could poll #2 I wouldn’t need #1.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:38 am 



Joined: 26 Oct 2020
Posts: 7
Hello, I got the Gcompsw from you a month ago, and it was working great till now. I have it paired with the Retrotink2X and none of my systems show on the screen. I get a power light, but nothing else. I have tried the systems with just the retrotink and they work, they only quit when using the gcompsw. I have tried different component cables and both outputs, and same results. Is there anything I can do to try and fix it, like a firmware update? Or should I send it back for repair? I am from the USA (Georgia). Thank you for your help.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:46 am 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1446
Location: US, MI
mxpxpxpx wrote:
Hello, I got the Gcompsw from you a month ago, and it was working great till now. I have it paired with the Retrotink2X and none of my systems show on the screen. I get a power light, but nothing else. I have tried the systems with just the retrotink and they work, they only quit when using the gcompsw. I have tried different component cables and both outputs, and same results. Is there anything I can do to try and fix it, like a firmware update? Or should I send it back for repair? I am from the USA (Georgia). Thank you for your help.

Does the switch work without retrotink?
Which consoles did you use?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:23 am 



Joined: 26 Oct 2020
Posts: 7
superg wrote:
mxpxpxpx wrote:
Hello, I got the Gcompsw from you a month ago, and it was working great till now. I have it paired with the Retrotink2X and none of my systems show on the screen. I get a power light, but nothing else. I have tried the systems with just the retrotink and they work, they only quit when using the gcompsw. I have tried different component cables and both outputs, and same results. Is there anything I can do to try and fix it, like a firmware update? Or should I send it back for repair? I am from the USA (Georgia). Thank you for your help.

Does the switch work without retrotink?
Which consoles did you use?


Hello, Yes I have tried it by its self and I still get no image or sound. I have tried the Sega Master System, Genesis, SNES, Super Famicom, and NES. I am using HD Retrovision cables. Thank you again for the help.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:37 am 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1446
Location: US, MI
mxpxpxpx wrote:
Hello, Yes I have tried it by its self and I still get no image or sound. I have tried the Sega Master System, Genesis, SNES, Super Famicom, and NES. I am using HD Retrovision cables. Thank you again for the help.

You can send it for the repair but you will have to cover the return shipping and optionally the repair costs in the event it's not a manufacturing defect. Usually switches don't die by itself. Also I don't guarantee a successfull repair because if the switch was misused and Altera is dead, I can't repair such a damage. Unfortunately there is no way to tell what is faulty until I diagnose it here. I will PM you my address.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:22 pm 



Joined: 20 Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Today I tested my PS1 with the gscart and it does not work. I get a scrabbled image. How do i get the ps1 to work with the gscart?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:48 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1446
Location: US, MI
PersianImm0rtal wrote:
Today I tested my PS1 with the gscart and it does not work. I get a scrabbled image. How do i get the ps1 to work with the gscart?

PlayStation is quite straightforward. Try first DIP switch on, if that doesn't help, replace a SCART cable. Get something from RGC or retro access. You can go ahead either with composite sync or sync on luma version. Don't get csync version cable.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], peterwright1234 and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group