shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:12 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:43 am 



Joined: 03 Jun 2018
Posts: 14
Does superg have the ext header info anywhere? Are his projects open source (I never saw a repo anywhere)?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:34 am 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 437
Dazdigo wrote:
Does superg have the ext header info anywhere? Are his projects open source (I never saw a repo anywhere)?

The pinout for the EXT header was unfortunately only made available in a post buried in this thread:
superg wrote:
gscartsw_lite EXT pinout:
Pin 1: GND
Pin 2: Override
Pin 3: N/C
Pin 4: +5V
Pin 5: IN_BIT0
Pin 6: IN_BIT1
Pin 7: IN_BIT2
Pin 8: N/C

Pin 5-7 represents selected input in binary.

I'm not aware of any other information, like precisely how the Override is intended to be used. Also unfortunate is that I believe he mentioned that he's dropping the EXT header for the next revision of his switchers, which sucks for anyone interested in developing any addons.

I don't think his projects have been open-sourced, because he's put a good amount of work into his products and deserves to be compensated for it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:42 am 



Joined: 03 Jun 2018
Posts: 14
Thanks for the information.
I suspected that might be the case with the open source question.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Jun 2017
Posts: 106
nmalinoski wrote:
Dazdigo wrote:
Does superg have the ext header info anywhere? Are his projects open source (I never saw a repo anywhere)?

The pinout for the EXT header was unfortunately only made available in a post buried in this thread:
superg wrote:
gscartsw_lite EXT pinout:
Pin 1: GND
Pin 2: Override
Pin 3: N/C
Pin 4: +5V
Pin 5: IN_BIT0
Pin 6: IN_BIT1
Pin 7: IN_BIT2
Pin 8: N/C

Pin 5-7 represents selected input in binary.

I'm not aware of any other information, like precisely how the Override is intended to be used. Also unfortunate is that I believe he mentioned that he's dropping the EXT header for the next revision of his switchers, which sucks for anyone interested in developing any addons.

I don't think his projects have been open-sourced, because he's put a good amount of work into his products and deserves to be compensated for it.


Looks like you can tie pins 5-7 to a multiplexer like the SN74CBT3251 and have a toslink (or other) switch that follows the input. Might try this
_________________
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom cables!
Twitter: @arithmaldor


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:40 pm 



Joined: 27 Jun 2018
Posts: 1
Hi superg,

today my gscartsw_lite v 1.5 died :(. I use it in a static setup and didn't do any changes to it. I just turned the power on and saw, that the green light is not turning on. Also the gscartsw_lite is making a rhythmic "zapp zapp zapp" sound. I tested the PSU and it's giving out 9,14V so nothing wrong on this side. Is there anything I can do in my side or do I have to send it to you (I live in Germany btw.).

Greetings,
Faxe


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:50 am 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Jun 2017
Posts: 106
Superg, correct me if I'm wrong, but does the "override" do something like:

If low, pins 5-7 represent currently selected input in binary
If high, whatever you put on pins 5-7 (1-8 in binary) will be the input of the switch?

If yes, you could use something dead simple like a 1-8 rotary encoder to force input?

Edit:

Would something like this work?

Image
_________________
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom cables!
Twitter: @arithmaldor


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:46 am 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 819
Location: US, MI
arithmaldor wrote:
Superg, correct me if I'm wrong, but does the "override" do something like:

If low, pins 5-7 represent currently selected input in binary
If high, whatever you put on pins 5-7 (1-8 in binary) will be the input of the switch?

If yes, you could use something dead simple like a 1-8 rotary encoder to force input?

Edit:

Would something like this work?

Yes, if pin 2 is high it enables override mode (by setting pin 5,6,7 appropriately). You can use +5V to power up your circuit. Other than that your implementation can be whatever you want.
_________________
Україна


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:01 pm 



Joined: 16 Jun 2018
Posts: 3
Question.... I saw superg was considering 8 X 2 for the new compsw.... My question is lets say you only have one component input. I have 6 systems that I would like to connect to it. Would the signal be worse or would I have issues having all 6 inputs connected to just the one output?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:08 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 819
Location: US, MI
jvggopher9 wrote:
Question.... I saw superg was considering 8 X 2 for the new compsw.... My question is lets say you only have one component input. I have 6 systems that I would like to connect to it. Would the signal be worse or would I have issues having all 6 inputs connected to just the one output?

Not exactly sure what you mean, 8:2 means 8 inputs 2 outputs, one device per port, as simple as that.
_________________
Україна


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:11 pm 



Joined: 16 Jun 2018
Posts: 3
superg wrote:
jvggopher9 wrote:
Question.... I saw superg was considering 8 X 2 for the new compsw.... My question is lets say you only have one component input. I have 6 systems that I would like to connect to it. Would the signal be worse or would I have issues having all 6 inputs connected to just the one output?

Not exactly sure what you mean, 8:2 means 8 inputs 2 outputs, one device per port, as simple as that.
I understand what 8 X 2 means. My question is would using just 1 of the outputs with 6 systems hurt the signals or cause any interference or other issues. I'm assuming there's 2 outputs for a reason and that there is some quality reason why you couldn't do 8 X 1


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:14 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 819
Location: US, MI
jvggopher9 wrote:
superg wrote:
jvggopher9 wrote:
Question.... I saw superg was considering 8 X 2 for the new compsw.... My question is lets say you only have one component input. I have 6 systems that I would like to connect to it. Would the signal be worse or would I have issues having all 6 inputs connected to just the one output?

Not exactly sure what you mean, 8:2 means 8 inputs 2 outputs, one device per port, as simple as that.
I understand what 8 X 2 means. My question is would using just 1 of the outputs with 6 systems hurt the signals or cause any interference or other issues. I'm assuming there's 2 outputs for a reason and that there is some quality reason why you couldn't do 8 X 1

Oh, got it. No, there wouldn't be any interference, everything is as isolated as I could get.
_________________
Україна


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:06 am 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Jun 2017
Posts: 106
Good news superg, someone is actually going to use the EXT header! :wink:

8 port TOSLINK switch that follows the input of the gscartsw_lite!

Github:
https://github.com/arithmaldor/TOSLINK- ... es/tag/0.1
OSHPark:
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/WhT3B602

This is untested but I'm hoping it will work. I may build a few soon but will be unable to test as I don't have any TOSLINK. Everyone, send me a PM if you'd be interested in testing/buying one and I'll let you know if I get there.
_________________
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom cables!
Twitter: @arithmaldor


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:23 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 437
arithmaldor wrote:
This is untested but I'm hoping it will work. I may build a few soon but will be unable to test as I don't have any TOSLINK. Everyone, send me a PM if you'd be interested in testing/buying one and I'll let you know if I get there.

I have a TOSLINK setup ready to go, but I unfortunately don't have either of superg's switches to test with. Would anyone be willing to mail me loaners? I would be soldering a header for the EXT port, and they will promptly be returned when testing is complete, at my expense, repacked safely in the packaging in which they arrive.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:24 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Jun 2017
Posts: 106
I need to work on it a bit more, but here is a board that lets you manually choose the gscartsw input:
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/8zLtmW88

I'm out of time to work on it today but I want to add an on/off switch.
_________________
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom cables!
Twitter: @arithmaldor


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:59 pm 



Joined: 02 Jul 2018
Posts: 1
I am having trouble locating the answer to a question I have and was hoping you could answer it for me. I use a Bandridge scart switcher currently and run my sound to a receiver through Stereo RCA cables that come out of the Bandridge to my Component switch box and then to the receiver. I do not see any options for this on the switch box shown here. What options do I have for running sound to my receiver?

Not sure if it helps but i use a scart to RGB converter that runs to the back of my CRT. The CRT has an RGB Connection.

Thanks,


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:14 pm 



Joined: 22 Jun 2018
Posts: 1
nmalinoski wrote:
I don't think his projects have been open-sourced, because he's put a good amount of work into his products and deserves to be compensated for it.



Open-source doesn't mean you can't be compensated for your work. See OSSC.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:01 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Apologizes if this has already been asked in this massive thread but in the new revision is there a switch for the THS7374's low pass filter?

Thank you


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:22 pm 



Joined: 18 Oct 2017
Posts: 1
Hey all,

Last year I had my finger on the pulse of this thread but not so much these last couple months.
Is this still the thread to keep an eye on re: Gscartsw_lite availability?

Appreciate the help!
--
EDIT: I didn't even realize the first page keeps us up to date on ETA for the Gcomp!! My Bad!!


Last edited by Yawnny on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Jun 2016
Posts: 125
Location: Ireland
Finally got around to permanently disabling the LPF on my gscartsw v3.4. Tried to keep it as neat and tidy as possible. Love me them razor sharp pixels 8)



Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Jun 2017
Posts: 106
OleMacDonald wrote:
I am having trouble locating the answer to a question I have and was hoping you could answer it for me. I use a Bandridge scart switcher currently and run my sound to a receiver through Stereo RCA cables that come out of the Bandridge to my Component switch box and then to the receiver. I do not see any options for this on the switch box shown here. What options do I have for running sound to my receiver?

Not sure if it helps but i use a scart to RGB converter that runs to the back of my CRT. The CRT has an RGB Connection.

Thanks,


Get this
https://retro-access.com/products/scart ... converters

But you want it wired like this
Image

Just ask her and she will do it. Shop goes in stock 10am est weekdays
_________________
Visit Tinkerplunk for mods, repairs, and custom cables!
Twitter: @arithmaldor


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:10 pm 



Joined: 15 Apr 2017
Posts: 2
Hello, sorry if this has already been answered earlier, but I couldn't find it.

I have a gscartsw and was trying to get component ( YPbPr) video out of the VGA-style output that is usually used for BNC. My CRT only has component inputs, so I was trying to get it set up for some light-gun game fun. I tried using this HD15 to Component adapter but the TV doesn't seem to recognize the signal. Is it possible to get component output from the switcher?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:13 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 437
jjcard wrote:
Hello, sorry if this has already been answered earlier, but I couldn't find it.

I have a gscartsw and was trying to get component ( YPbPr) video out of the VGA-style output that is usually used for BNC. My CRT only has component inputs, so I was trying to get it set up for some light-gun game fun. I tried using this HD15 to Component adapter but the TV doesn't seem to recognize the signal. Is it possible to get component output from the switcher?

If you have a non-lite gscartsw, I believe the only way you might possibly get YPbPr out from this switch is the same way people get RGsB out of their PS2s, and that's by connecting your YPbPr source to input 8 and using that adapter you bought.

If you're trying to use any other input, I don't believe it's going to work, because the gscartsw line was designed to be an RGBS switch (built to SCART specifications), so an input won't get automatically selected unless there's a sync signal on the separate sync line; and, since YPbPr and RGsB don't have that separate sync signal, they're never detected. As for having to use input 8, I believe it's a side effect of the firmware for the 3.4 and earlier models that input 8 is selected when no sync is detected on any of the other inputs. This is why you'll only be able to use YPbPr and RGsB on input 8.

Now, if you want a gscartsw that's capable of correctly passing YPbPr and RGsB, the next iteration of the gscartsw_lite is being designed with the capability to detect sync signals on green and either pass them through or separate the sync signal and put it on the separate sync line. The sync separation is is good for converting RGsB to RGBS, but it would render YPbPr signals unusable; the passthrough mode should work fine.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:44 pm 



Joined: 16 Sep 2017
Posts: 10
Location: US, MI
nmalinoski wrote:
Dazdigo wrote:
Does superg have the ext header info anywhere? Are his projects open source (I never saw a repo anywhere)?

The pinout for the EXT header was unfortunately only made available in a post buried in this thread:
superg wrote:
gscartsw_lite EXT pinout:
Pin 1: GND
Pin 2: Override
Pin 3: N/C
Pin 4: +5V
Pin 5: IN_BIT0
Pin 6: IN_BIT1
Pin 7: IN_BIT2
Pin 8: N/C

Pin 5-7 represents selected input in binary.

I'm not aware of any other information, like precisely how the Override is intended to be used. Also unfortunate is that I believe he mentioned that he's dropping the EXT header for the next revision of his switchers, which sucks for anyone interested in developing any addons.

I don't think his projects have been open-sourced, because he's put a good amount of work into his products and deserves to be compensated for it.


This. Is. Awesome.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:32 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 819
Location: US, MI
I missed the topic notifications again...

OleMacDonald wrote:
I am having trouble locating the answer to a question I have and was hoping you could answer it for me. I use a Bandridge scart switcher currently and run my sound to a receiver through Stereo RCA cables that come out of the Bandridge to my Component switch box and then to the receiver. I do not see any options for this on the switch box shown here. What options do I have for running sound to my receiver?

Not sure if it helps but i use a scart to RGB converter that runs to the back of my CRT. The CRT has an RGB Connection.

Thanks,

If I'm getting it right you will need to use SCART audio breakout adapter if using gscartsw.

NitroFrost wrote:
Apologizes if this has already been asked in this massive thread but in the new revision is there a switch for the THS7374's low pass filter?

Thank you

THS7374 isn't used in a new switch design (gscartsw_lite or newer) e.g. there is no filter so it's nothing to disable.
_________________
Україна


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:50 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
superg wrote:
THS7374 isn't used in a new switch design (gscartsw_lite or newer) e.g. there is no filter so it's nothing to disable.


Awesome to hear, thanks for the response.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:35 am 



Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Posts: 14
I was one of the first adopters of the gscartsw 3.4. Iv misplaced my psu can someone link me one that would work with it in united states

Also is there any custom enclosures for it yet were i live the plexi gets filthy quickly?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:23 am 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 819
Location: US, MI
8bitForLife wrote:
I was one of the first adopters of the gscartsw 3.4. Iv misplaced my psu can someone link me one that would work with it in united states

Also is there any custom enclosures for it yet were i live the plexi gets filthy quickly?

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/5023722 - you can use this power supply.
As of enclosure, there is metallic one designed with retrorgb's help but it was never mass produced, retrorgb has the one and only prototype. If you want the same panels but a different material, you can order laser cut directly, they provide wide variety of plexiglass and some plastic. v3.4 panel designs are in the gscartsw v3.4 JP21 edition archive on my website.
_________________
Україна


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:44 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2016
Posts: 3
Can't wait for the new version, just finished the setup of my game room and pvms all i need is an epic scart switch :)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 819
Location: US, MI
Currently SoG works only for 480p and doesn't for 720 and 1080, the problem is already identified and I'm awaiting parts.
The current plan is to finalize current design soon and order smaller batch first to make sure everything is smooth and then it will go the batch after another.
Paypal allows me to accept orders when units amount is 0 so it will be in a pre-order mode for now and I don't want to keep everybody waiting as it already took too long. On a bright note everybody will get the newest SoG version.
Once I'll sort out everything I'll post the dates here.
_________________
Україна


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:50 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 437
superg wrote:
Currently SoG works only for 480p and doesn't for 720 and 1080, the problem is already identified and I'm awaiting parts.
The current plan is to finalize current design soon and order smaller batch first to make sure everything is smooth and then it will go the batch after another.
Paypal allows me to accept orders when units amount is 0 so it will be in a pre-order mode for now and I don't want to keep everybody waiting as it already took too long. On a bright note everybody will get the newest SoG version.
Once I'll sort out everything I'll post the dates here.

Does the newest SoG version lack the EXT header?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arit, Google [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group