Help me arcade kids... Ninja Gaiden is just garbage

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
8 1/2

Help me arcade kids... Ninja Gaiden is just garbage

Post by 8 1/2 »

I recently got a Ninja Gaiden PCB off ebay and it came today, but when I booted it up it's all just a bunch of garbage graphics--multicolored cubes moving back and forth with no sound.

Is the PCB dead or is it possible that my supergun just doesn't have the right power supply? Right now I'm just using a standard PC power cable, but there's also hole in the back of my box for a plug that's inverted, as though the cable needed would have two male ends. Does that make any sense?

I hope it's not dead.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Moved to Hardware.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Is Ninja Gaiden not jamma? This the same supergun you have been using before on ESPRade without problem? Can you check the +5 on your supergun with a multimeter?
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

Yes, it's Jamma and yes this is the same SG. I was actually playing Last Blade just this morning so I know it's not the rig.

I don't know what a +5 is.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

8 1/2 wrote: I don't know what a +5 is.
Plug in your Ninja Gaiden PCB, turn on SG, and then use a multimeter to measure the +5 pin on the jamma connector which should be the 3rd tooth over from the left on the component side. Use a multimeter set to read DC voltage (one above the mv range), red probe to the 3rd tooth on the jamma board and black probe to the first tooth on the jamma board (ground). You should get 5.00-5.12 volts. Anything above/below is probably to far out of range for the pcb. Your SG may have a little potentiometer (knob) to adjust the +5 voltage slightly.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Good to see you're still alive and kicking, 8.5. :D
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

Thanks Dave. I'll go get a multimeter after work and check it out. Is this garbage graphics problem common?
FULL LOCK is BOMB
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

8 1/2 wrote:Thanks Dave. I'll go get a multimeter after work and check it out. Is this garbage graphics problem common?
Unfortunally its more likely a cracked PCB or loose chips...but lets hope its just a voltage problem which can be easily fixed.
dpful

Post by dpful »

That boards pretty big, try and connecting/disconnecting the ribbon connectors, too. (as well as pressing on the chips)
kemical

Post by kemical »

does teh board need -5v ?? I've heard older boards might..
find the pinout of a jamma connector and look where the -5v should be, see if your supergun outputs that, and see if the ninja gaiden pcb has traces going to where the -5v would be on the connector.

then again it's more likely just loose chips or dirty connections like what was mentioned.
i have another pcb that sits in the jamma harness loose actually, and if there isnt a good enough connection graphics will get all corrupt.