Problems with DoDonPachi DOJ

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ResOGlas

Problems with DoDonPachi DOJ

Post by ResOGlas »

Hey guys,
I recently got a DOJ PCB and I've run into a problem. When I have "demo sound off", it freezes up 75% of the time on the second player side if you choose B-Type ship and Lazer type (straight shot). (this is not a problem if 2p joins in, just if 2p actually starts the game)

When I play on default settings or any other setting that doesn't include demo sound off, this does not happen. The Cave warranty seal has not been broken thus the metal casing has never been opened. The fan is also working properly and when I do a memory check everything comes up OK.

Is this normal? I remember my buddy's Ketsui had the same problems when set to custom settings (probably demo sound off). Is this common with the PGM based cave games and custom settings in the soft dip? If you have a DOJ PCB, could you please go into the configuration and turn "demo sound off" and see if it freezes for player 2 when you use B-Type and straight shot (the girl that looks like Chun-Li and has the red background). Thanks in advance.
Last edited by ResOGlas on Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hail Atlantis!
kemical

Post by kemical »

thats weird, just thought I'd add, that on Donpachi you can get the game to freeze/crash if you turn off continues, and player two dies and runs out of lives while player one is still alive.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Although I don't have a DOJ PCB to confirm, I'm pretty sure its the "Free Play" mode (Ketsui has similar problems). Its common to rig a credit button inside the coin return, so that should get you up and working with all your other options. I do this on all my cabs.
Ord

Post by Ord »

It never crashed when I set my pcb to freeplay, unlike Ketsui.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
ResOGlas

Post by ResOGlas »

Ord wrote:It never crashed when I set my pcb to freeplay, unlike Ketsui.
Everything else doesn't crash my board, just starting a game from the second player said and selecting the B-Type Ship and the Lazer Shot. I'll try fiddling with the settings more today to pinpoint exactly what option I'm choosing that's causing the lockup. From there I would just like to know if everyone has this problem or if my board is defective. Thanks in advance.
Hail Atlantis!
ResOGlas

Post by ResOGlas »

Ok, well I have found the answer. When changing around the settings I found that "Demo Sound OFF" is what causes the problem. No other setting will cause the game to freeze that I have found.

(First post now edited)
Hail Atlantis!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Heh, my Ibara gives me "Coin Error" if I press the coin button with Free Play turned off. Strangely, it doesn't do it for the first inserted coin, only the second onwards. Might just be the way my supergun is rigged up, though.