Custom DC Virtual On Twinstick controller

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SAM

Custom DC Virtual On Twinstick controller

Post by SAM »

I am building a custom DC Twinstick for VOOT. Anyone know how to mod a DC game pad PCB to trick the system to think it is connecting to a DC Twinstick controller?

I really don't want to gut a DC Twinstick controller for PCB to this purpose. (That's cost $$$)

Any suggestion / idea?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

The problem is that the game won't let you map the directions of the other stick to the face buttons the way you could with the Saturn version. If you somehow could, you'd still need more buttons for the weapon and dash actions. If Y=up, x=left A=down and B=right, you'd only have the triggers left.

I think it would be cheaper to just buy the saturn sticks and a Sat to DC adapter, like the ones I'm planning on selling. :mrgreen:
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Specineff wrote:The problem is that the game won't let you map the directions of the other stick to the face buttons the way you could with the Saturn version. If you somehow could, you'd still need more buttons for the weapon and dash actions. If Y=up, x=left A=down and B=right, you'd only have the triggers left.
Yes, you are right. I have missed this point. :oops:
Specineff wrote:I think it would be cheaper to just buy the saturn sticks and a Sat to DC adapter, like the ones I'm planning on selling. :mrgreen:
This method would work, but there would be no slots for the VMU, plus the Total control 3 would induce lag to the control. :(

The induced lag in the control would defeat the whole point of building the custom twin stick in the first place. So I guess I would be better off gutting an official DC Twin Stick for the PCB then. :?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

There is no lag with the TC 3 and it has a slot for VMU. 8)
SAM

Post by SAM »

Specineff wrote:There is no lag with the TC 3 and it has a slot for VMU. 8)
Sound good. :) May be I should try the TC3 first before gutting my Official DC VO Twinstick.

One question:
:?: There is 4 directions and 9 buttons (13 inputs) on a Saturn pads; there is 8 directions (4 for Left Stick and 4 for Right Sitck) and 6 buttons (14 inputs) on the DC VO Twin Stick... Where is the "Pause" button on the DC VO Twinsitcks mapped to?

I am building the stick with the following Sanwa parts...

Sanwa JLJ-PL2-8V x2
Sanwa OBSF-40RG x1
Sanwa OBSF-24 x1
The case of Hori Real Acrade Pro Joystick x1

http://www.sanwa-d.co.jp/p_joy-stick4.htm#jlj

I am planing to make it works on mutiple system, namely Saturn, DC, PSOne & PS2. So that I can play...

Saturn VO
DC VOOT
PS2 VO Maz
PS2 Raiden III (Double Play)

PS Assult (Namco Musium Vol. 4)
PS The Return of Ishtar (Namco Musium Vol. 4)
PS2 Zoids
Some Saturn Gundam games

with it.

:?: Do you know which port of the following game could be mapped to a Twinstick control simular to the acrade version?

Forgotton Worlds
Smash TV

:?: Any other games you can think of could benifit from a twinstick control? (I have just finished building my supergun, so acrade PCBs is also an option now)

This twinstick should be real cool when finished. 8)
Last edited by SAM on Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
D

Post by D »

Smash TV, the Amiga has got a reasonably conversion which supports two joysticks, I remember it like it was yesterday, perhaps on emulation if it supports two players it should support the twinstick.

There is also a smash tv on some comilation for the ps, I gues they just mapped the 2nd joystick to the four buttons.

I have got the total control 5, supposedly for saturn joypads + steering wheels, dc memory card and ps controllers, etc, works great.

There are cases where you can actually use 8 buttons on the DC, by using a saturn joypad I don't remember which, but in some games C is not L and Z is not C.

A bad example of this is SF3 3rd strike. buttons C and Z do nothing :evil:
This however is the only bad experience I have had with the TC5, perhaps it's just the game.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Cyber Sled?