N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Kyle

Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*

Post by Kyle »

Thanks and yep. Not applicable but still nice. You can finally swap the button order so that A opens directories/roms.
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

eightbitminiboss wrote:Probably not applicable to this thread's glitching issues. But there is a new OS version out now.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1877.new#new
Thanks boss, it's worth a shot!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Been playing NES all day with it being the fourth. No change with the OS upgrade. KRIKzz said:

"I think that RGB board should be fixed to support flashcarts, not visa versa"

Jason, do you have any of Tim's boards to try the swap or would you have to order some?
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

Kyle wrote: Jason, do you have any of Tim's boards to try the swap or would you have to order some?
I've got plenty, will try to get on it soon.
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

Still not fixed!!!
VID LINK
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Tried an older firmware?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I tried an older firmware, when I had I still had it here.

Losing hope on this one.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Thanks Jason. Since you have a Famicom ED were you able to establish if this happens on the AV Famicom?
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

Kyle wrote:Thanks Jason. Since you have a Famicom ED were you able to establish if this happens on the AV Famicom?
I don't think I tried the fami ED on the av fami, but I think I had sam's us ED on the av fami, was it in pt3 maybe?
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

What is next? Maybe have Tim look at a console?
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Ive built 4 frontloader nesrgbs. Didnt have this issue with them.

however i just upgraded my OS so we shall see if it causes the speckles. right now i dont have a complete nesrgb system to test it on.

btw the famicom audio in akumajo densetsu is improved (just like i was hoping) so that alone already made the os update worth it.

i was still using a pre-savestate os.
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

Yeah it's not been a problem with front loaders, we've established it's a NES-101/ED/NESRGB issue.

I have stumbled on yet another possible fix, but I want to really be sure and test the hell out of it before I say anything.
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

Just watched Part 5 on YouTube. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Removing the 2SA937 might explain why I've never encountered this issue on any of the top loaders I've modded. I always remove that particular transistor on NESRGB installs just to prevent any potential interference.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'll give it a good working over when it gets back to me.

Hopefully this will help out other NES101/NESRGB/ED owners.
Those speckles are a real killjoy.

I still wonder why they don't show up with normal carts though. Weird.
ApolloBoy wrote:Removing the 2SA937 might explain why I've never encountered this issue on any of the top loaders I've modded. I always remove that particular transistor on NESRGB installs just to prevent any potential interference.
You should have brought that up, man!
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

Tims thoughts on the issue:

I think the Everdrive is generating noise on 5V power rail (understandably, there's a lot of hardware in those thing). The video buffer transistor has parasitic capacitance between the collector and emitter. It's only about 5pf but because the noise is of high frequency and the impedance of the video output is very high, it's enough to distort the signal significantly and cause problems with the NESRGB analog section.

Perhaps installing a 100n ceramic bypass capacitor across the power rail near the transistor would also solve the problem. I'm sure removing the transistor (or cutting the video trace on the adapter board) is a satisfactory solution for those which have this problem.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

You have a scope? Scope the 5V rail line and verify. Then you can try to put a small pF cap and 0.1uF in parallel on the everdrive's regulator and see if the noise gets filtered.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

jason. I really like your youtube channel. I will probably be doing a toploader soon so i will definately apply this fix to it.

thanks.
keropi

Post by keropi »

it makes me wonder, maybe I will also remove the transistor in my famicomAV and see if it helps with the C-SYNC troubles I was having...
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

keropi wrote:it makes me wonder, maybe I will also remove the transistor in my famicomAV and see if it helps with the C-SYNC troubles I was having...
You could also remove the 220 uF capacitor that's in series with the video output as well, which I always do for AV Fami installs (largely because the NESRGB doesn't fit with that cap in the way). Again, I've never seen any speckles so I'm wondering if it's the entire video circuitry causing it.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

I've got 2 AV Famicoms modded for myself and done several for others. Never seen any speckles using my N8 on any of them. I don't remove the cap. It fits fine if you remove the cap, and put it back in place soldered with more slack on the leads and horizontal against the board.
keropi

Post by keropi »

ApolloBoy wrote:
keropi wrote:it makes me wonder, maybe I will also remove the transistor in my famicomAV and see if it helps with the C-SYNC troubles I was having...
You could also remove the 220 uF capacitor that's in series with the video output as well, which I always do for AV Fami installs (largely because the NESRGB doesn't fit with that cap in the way). Again, I've never seen any speckles so I'm wondering if it's the entire video circuitry causing it.
does removing the cap also "de-activates" the transistor?
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Sounds like this is finally Solved. Jason?

has anyone made the specks come back yet After removing that transistor?
Skips

Post by Skips »

mvsfan wrote:Sounds like this is finally Solved. Jason?

has anyone made the specks come back yet After removing that transistor?
Looks like my original Famicom is doing it too. Transistor removed and pin 21 lifted. Original carts are perfectly fine though. I e-mailed Tim about it to see if he had any ideas. It's only the everdrive doing it.

**edit** Forgot to mention its about 50/50 on the Famicom. Pretty much just power cycle it until it works. Hopefully there is an actual fix to this though.
I am no longer taking free or paid modding projects, please do not contact me asking for my services. Thanks :).
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Was it ever confirmed if the everdrive FC edition had the issue? I know I had some weird glitching sometimes using a Powerpak or ED with a 72-> 60 pin because it'd be loose or something. Some are also "wired" incorrectly and dont allow games like Rad Racer 2 to work because of the mirroring.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Pasky wrote:Was it ever confirmed if the everdrive FC edition had the issue? I know I had some weird glitching sometimes using a Powerpak or ED with a 72-> 60 pin because it'd be loose or something. Some are also "wired" incorrectly and dont allow games like Rad Racer 2 to work because of the mirroring.
I'm using the Famicon n8 on my Famicom so it at least has the problem with the original Famicom. I never had an issue with it on the front loader (using a converter), the Twin Famicom, or the AV Famicom.
I am no longer taking free or paid modding projects, please do not contact me asking for my services. Thanks :).
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Weird, I can't get it to happen on any of my AV famicoms. Could always try scoping the 5v line on the everdrive I guess if I get time.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Pasky wrote:Weird, I can't get it to happen on any of my AV famicoms. Could always try scoping the 5v line on the everdrive I guess if I get time.
All the AV Famicoms I have done have worked fine as well. There is just something with the Famicom and the Everdrive the NESRGB does not like. Unfortunately I do not have a scope to play with the problem so I am just kinda stuck with it for now. The Everdrive takes about 4 seconds just to get to the text that says its loading the sd card with the Famicom. I wonder if that amount of time is is throwing the NESRGB off.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Strange, the problem with the console in the original post is with an AV famicom...
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Pasky wrote:Strange, the problem with the console in the original post is with an AV famicom...
evil_ash_xero wrote:I have an NESRGB modded NES-101.