shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:04 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:50 am 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 688
Oh man, I gotta pay more attention. Well on that note, my US top loader is fine as well.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:57 am 



Joined: 06 Oct 2012
Posts: 1209
Ill hold off on building a toploader i have until more is found out about this problem. thanks for the update.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:14 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 22 Jun 2011
Posts: 1310
Location: Bedfordshire, England.
mvsfan wrote:
Ill hold off on building a toploader i have until more is found out about this problem. thanks for the update.


Or just get a HVC-101 as that doesnt have RF on it at all, plus the system looks better than the NES-101


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:29 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 5532
Location: Where the fish lives, WV
mvsfan wrote:
Sounds like this is finally Solved. Jason?

has anyone made the specks come back yet After removing that transistor?


The NES came back to me, but I haven't had a chance to pick it up from the post office yet. I should know more about it tomorrow or the next day.
_________________
My Collection: http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/col ... Collection


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:50 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 152
If you get this going please post pictures. If it's just a desolder I'll do the same on mine.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:19 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Posts: 173
Kyle wrote:
If you get this going please post pictures. If it's just a desolder I'll do the same on mine.


Yeah just heat up the 3 legs of the transistor and pull it out.
_________________
www.Game-Tech.US
My Youtube vids


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:01 am 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 152
Fuck these little guys and thank you Jason/ApolloBoy/Tim!

Image

Everything appears to be sorted. I power cycled a bunch of times and never saw snow again.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:37 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 5532
Location: Where the fish lives, WV
Yeah, I'm not seeing it either.

Unless it makes some kind of weird comeback, it seems to have done the trick.

Big thanks to Jason, as I think most people would have stopped early on.
_________________
My Collection: http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/col ... Collection


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:02 am 



Joined: 09 Apr 2012
Posts: 2242
Can you post exact instructions in case I ever run into this issue?

I got a NESRGB and honestly haven't have time to play with it much beyond some minor testing.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:42 am 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 152
To re-use one of Jason's photos.

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:48 am 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 11585
Location: Germany
Doesn't the input and output to that transistor need to be bridged as a replacement ?


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:23 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 434
Location: Texas, USA
Fudoh wrote:
Doesn't the input and output to that transistor need to be bridged as a replacement ?

No. You want to disable the rf by removing this.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:41 am 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 11585
Location: Germany
I see, that makes sense. Great to have this potential issue cleared up.


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:43 am 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 193
Location: Sweden
I got the same problem with my NESRGB AV Famicom. White dots on sprites and in the overscan area (using real carts). If i reset the system they disappear so the problem is not that huge to me. But if i want to fix this i need to remove that thing in the picture above? Sorry, i just briefly read through this thread.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:06 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Posts: 173
Shining wrote:
I got the same problem with my NESRGB AV Famicom. White dots on sprites and in the overscan area (using real carts). If i reset the system they disappear so the problem is not that huge to me. But if i want to fix this i need to remove that thing in the picture above? Sorry, i just briefly read through this thread.

I don't think anyone really had this issue with the av fami, but it can't hurt to pull that transistor, though it's in a different place than the top loader pictured above.
_________________
www.Game-Tech.US
My Youtube vids


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:22 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2014
Posts: 4
Shining wrote:
I got the same problem with my NESRGB AV Famicom. White dots on sprites and in the overscan area (using real carts). If i reset the system they disappear so the problem is not that huge to me. But if i want to fix this i need to remove that thing in the picture above? Sorry, i just briefly read through this thread.



I have also had this problem but only once and then it was with a Famicom Everdrive in a AV Famicom. saw it when it was a black background in Mega man 2, don't remember the level.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:54 pm 



Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 211
game-tech.us wrote:
I don't think anyone really had this issue with the av fami, but it can't hurt to pull that transistor, though it's in a different place than the top loader pictured above.

Just wondering, does your heart sink a little when you see this thread get bumped? :wink:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:54 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Posts: 173
Sixfortyfive wrote:
game-tech.us wrote:
I don't think anyone really had this issue with the av fami, but it can't hurt to pull that transistor, though it's in a different place than the top loader pictured above.

Just wondering, does your heart sink a little when you see this thread get bumped? :wink:


Heh, not really, I like a challenge and coming up with fixes for crazy issues like this!
_________________
www.Game-Tech.US
My Youtube vids


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:18 am 



Joined: 19 Sep 2017
Posts: 20
Hi guys, I wanted to report on my experience with this issue.
Thanks so much to Jason and anyone else who helped for doing the hard work and finding the fix!!!

I use an AV Famicom with NESRGB and Everdrive N8 (Famicom version)
The issue would consistently appear in game never on the menu, I used castlevania 1 to test as it would always appear during the same part of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9rhpqxDCiM


White dots did not appear when using composite off Tim's board.

I removed Q1 (2SA937) and the issue instantly dissappeared:
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:10 am 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2012
Posts: 325
Location: UK
Interested in trying if this issue occurs on mine NESRGB modded Famicom and Everdrive N8, I've never noticed any speckles but I haven't played one game for too long yet. Is this universal across all games or specific ones exhibit it? Basically I'm after a title that I can fire up and quickly look for the white dots.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:21 am 



Joined: 09 Apr 2012
Posts: 2242
I've gotten it in the Everdrive N8 menu. I think just resetting the console until it shows up is the best way to reproduce it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:10 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2012
Posts: 325
Location: UK
Tried resetting and power cycling quite a few times and nothing showed up on the menu. Maybe my NESRGB modder has removed that transistor. I couldn't see any white noise pattern in all through Gun-Nac. Will check Castlevania soon too.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:56 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Aug 2017
Posts: 1141
Location: Australia
I had a play with my AV fami last night too, trying to get this to happen.

Nothing so I left the transistor.

Taking it out kills the original composite video right?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:00 am 



Joined: 19 Sep 2017
Posts: 20
Syntax wrote:
Author Message
Syntax
  Post subject:  Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*  
I had a play with my AV fami last night too, trying to get this to happen.

Nothing so I left the transistor.

Taking it out kills the original composite video right?


Did you try Catlevania 1 like in the vid i posted? That was very consistent for me.
If you can't reproduce the issue I guess that's a good thing.
Removing that transistor disables the onboard composite (that's the whole point) but you can still use composite off Tim's board and wire that to the multi out (cut trace to the onboard composite). That's how mine was wired anyway.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:00 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Aug 2017
Posts: 1141
Location: Australia
I only tested Castlevania, about 20x.

The menu and intro were fine every time.

I tried reset and full power cycles.

Via OSSC and my PC monitor.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jul 2007
Posts: 5532
Location: Where the fish lives, WV
This is bringing back painful memories.
_________________
My Collection: http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/col ... Collection


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:22 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Location: Saunaland
djcalle wrote:
Hi guys, I wanted to report on my experience with this issue.
Thanks so much to Jason and anyone else who helped for doing the hard work and finding the fix!!!

I use an AV Famicom with NESRGB and Everdrive N8 (Famicom version)
The issue would consistently appear in game never on the menu, I used castlevania 1 to test as it would always appear during the same part of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9rhpqxDCiM


White dots did not appear when using composite off Tim's board.

I removed Q1 (2SA937) and the issue instantly dissappeared:
Image


Did the same thing on my console but it doesn't seem to help at all. I'm quite lost and I don't really know what to do with this. Does anyone else have any other information I should try out? I'm glad I found this thread out.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:02 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Posts: 173
Shinryuu wrote:
djcalle wrote:
Hi guys, I wanted to report on my experience with this issue.
Thanks so much to Jason and anyone else who helped for doing the hard work and finding the fix!!!

I use an AV Famicom with NESRGB and Everdrive N8 (Famicom version)
The issue would consistently appear in game never on the menu, I used castlevania 1 to test as it would always appear during the same part of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9rhpqxDCiM


White dots did not appear when using composite off Tim's board.

I removed Q1 (2SA937) and the issue instantly dissappeared:
Image


Did the same thing on my console but it doesn't seem to help at all. I'm quite lost and I don't really know what to do with this. Does anyone else have any other information I should try out? I'm glad I found this thread out.


Only happens in composite or that's all you can test in?
Did you try the console without the mod to make sure they aren't still there?
We had a lot of trouble with using round pin sockets for the cpu/ppu not making good contact, it'd be hard to switch yours out, but it's the one other thing I can see or think of...
_________________
www.Game-Tech.US
My Youtube vids


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:49 am 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Location: Saunaland
game-tech.us wrote:
Shinryuu wrote:
djcalle wrote:
Hi guys, I wanted to report on my experience with this issue.
Thanks so much to Jason and anyone else who helped for doing the hard work and finding the fix!!!

I use an AV Famicom with NESRGB and Everdrive N8 (Famicom version)
The issue would consistently appear in game never on the menu, I used castlevania 1 to test as it would always appear during the same part of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9rhpqxDCiM


White dots did not appear when using composite off Tim's board.

I removed Q1 (2SA937) and the issue instantly dissappeared:
Image


Did the same thing on my console but it doesn't seem to help at all. I'm quite lost and I don't really know what to do with this. Does anyone else have any other information I should try out? I'm glad I found this thread out.


Only happens in composite or that's all you can test in?
Did you try the console without the mod to make sure they aren't still there?
We had a lot of trouble with using round pin sockets for the cpu/ppu not making good contact, it'd be hard to switch yours out, but it's the one other thing I can see or think of...


I'm using a RGB cable at the moment and I don't have any other cables available and I've opened it as well. Can't find anything suspicious but it looks like someone's DIY project. I haven't tried it without the mod though and I'm not even that sure how to do it. I've also tried different PSUs and the most recent one is 1300mAh one from retrogamesupply. Someone said that PSUs might trigger some problems so I bought a better amp one. I still haven't got a real game card to test if it happens on it. I live in Europe but I do have legit PSUs to rule that possibility out. I don't have an equipment to get PPU off the board and I'm not really willing to when looking at it. I can provide pictures about an opened RGB cable if needed. Thanks for the info!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: N8 EverDrive Vs. NESRGB (glitches) *now with video*
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:54 pm 



Joined: 17 Sep 2018
Posts: 44
Just signed up to say I also have an AV Famicom and was noticing those little snowy dots every now and then, it took me a while to stumble across the YouTube video regarding this and then this thread but today I followed the advice above and removed the 2SA937 transistor.

My issue was no where near as extreme as the top loader that was being worked on in the video and even when it was occurring it was only slightly noticeable but nice to know none the less what the cause of the issue was and just wanted to make a post here to show my appreciation in getting to the bottom of this issue (Jason).

Thanks 8)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gunstar, SavagePencil and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group