Anyone have an SD2SNES? Magical Pop'n glitch.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

Anyone have an SD2SNES? Magical Pop'n glitch.

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I seem to have this glitch with Magical Pop'n. When the game first starts, I see white dots here and there on the "Pack In Video" screen. It's easy to see, and continues through the title menu. After that, you see it in the background of the first stage.

I was wondering if anyone else who has a SD2SNES, could test the ROM out and see if you have the same problem?

I haven't noticed this on any other games. I've tried two different Magical Pop'n ROMS. And I've also tried this with two different SDSNES and cards.

I don't have the actual cartridge, so I can't test it out. But it's not there in emulation.
keropi

Re: Anyone have an SD2SNES? Magical Pop'n glitch.

Post by keropi »

I do have a sd2snes, it's the "Magical Pop'n (J).sfc" image, right?
Last edited by keropi on Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Yes.

It takes a bit longer for that rom to load as well. I don't know if there's something up with the roms I'm using, or what. If you can take a look, that'd be great.

You should notice some white dots here and there. They're pretty easy to see on the Pack In Video screen.
keropi

Post by keropi »

just tried it on my SuperCIC+50/60hz 1CHIP snes... I don't see any dots on the "Pack In Video" screen , it does take it's sweet time to load and it actually crashed on me twice with the screen freezing and the music playing in the background.... Maybe it's a problematic game on the 1CHIP revision? You have such a snes as well?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Yes, I have a SNES mini, that is RGB modded.

I don't have a normal SNES to test it out on, as I sold those recently.

Thanks for trying it out.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

There are no issues on my 1CHIP-02 with the Super Everdrive. Loading time is also normal. I'm using the English patched rom, but that shouldn't change anything.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Strange. I wonder what could be causing the issue?

EDIT: oh, the Super Everdrive. Maybe it handles it better than the SD2SNES. That's disappointing though.
It's an awesome game, and I haven't been able to find a complete copy yet.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

I've seen glitches in Super Street Fighter II with the Super UFO Pro 8. Some people specualte that they are caused by overvoltage caused by the lockout chip when using the flash cart. They only occured on some SNES revisions and could be fixed by reseting sometimes. [source] (edit: removed the link because people on that thread linked to roms...)

It didn't surprise me on the Super UFO, but the SD2SNES should have higher quality. Wasn't the SD2SNES also designed by krikzzz? Or does he just manufacture them. Maybe a newer / older firmware can fix this problem.
keropi

Post by keropi »

The sd2snes was designed by ikari_01 (the person that also made the SuperCIC and other snes mods) , krikzzz just manufactures them. It's a quality cart , it's just complex and sometimes fine tuning and bug correcting in the fw is needed . Also some games just don't like the newer snes revisions, original carts or not, there is a chance of glitches from what I've read...
Anything could be possible, maybe on the next fw update all is good - or worse :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

I've got a mini and a SD2SNES, I'll post a video loading the game. Make sure you're not using a goodset rom and you're using a no-intro set rom. Goodset is known to have bad dumps and hasn't been updated in years.

EDIT:

I see the dots as well, unfortunately I don't have a real cart to compare with.

Drop box lowers the bitrate when watching it through their player. Download it if quality is an issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1ezm2rpz9ds2ri/magical.MKV

I initially looked for them during the pack in video logo but couldnt see them, I see them over the blue title screen though, but very very intermittently.

EDIT 2:

I get it on a non-mini 1chip as well.

I don't get them on my non-1chip system's. Guessing this is an issue with a later hardware revision and not the sd2snes.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Wow Pasky. You came through big time, dude.

That is exactly what I'm seeing, and it's good to know what the cause of it is. Too bad there probably isn't anything that can be done about it. :(

I'll have a real cart, one of these days. I'll find out for sure if it has the same problem.
Pasky wrote: I initially looked for them during the pack in video logo but couldnt see them, I see them over the blue title screen though, but very very intermittently.
The bad thing is that those dots just sort of keep popping about throughout the game. They don't go away. If it was just the menus, it wouldn't be a problem.
It's not huge...but it's annoying, and disappointing.
brownvim

Post by brownvim »

blizzz wrote:I've seen glitches in Super Street Fighter II with the Super UFO Pro 8. Some people specualte that they are caused by overvoltage caused by the lockout chip when using the flash cart. They only occured on some SNES revisions and could be fixed by reseting sometimes. [source] (edit: removed the link because people on that thread linked to roms...)

It didn't surprise me on the Super UFO, but the SD2SNES should have higher quality. Wasn't the SD2SNES also designed by krikzzz? Or does he just manufacture them. Maybe a newer / older firmware can fix this problem.
There is a patched ROM out there that fixed this issue on the SuperUFO, iv got it.

It's something to do with the security on the game, it scrambles the sprites.
keropi

Post by keropi »

I downloaded the video but I still can't see the dots, that makes my test useless since they could be in my setup and I couldn't see it... where exactly do they appear on the video?! :?
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

They are very very intermittent, but they appear all over the blue background on the title screen, they're very small.

When I viewed the video through my actual tv, I actually get horizontal lines randomly on the screen on a snes mini, this didn't happen on my non-1chip systems
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

brownvim wrote:There is a patched ROM out there that fixed this issue on the SuperUFO, iv got it.
It's something to do with the security on the game, it scrambles the sprites.
From evil_ash_xero's description I thought that his issue might be similar to that of SSFII on the SuperUFO. But in SSFII you get big dots that stay (and scrambled sprites). But after seeing Pasky's video it's clear that the problem is something else.

I only tested it on my CRT and now I'm not sure if it would be possible to see the dots on a CRT. I'll update with a video through the Micomsoft card to find out if it's a 1CHIP issue. I've got both a 1CHIP and a "2CHIP" console here.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

blizzz wrote:
I only tested it on my CRT and now I'm not sure if it would be possible to see the dots on a CRT.
My SNES is hooked up to a CRT. So, yes it is possible. :lol:
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

I get the horizontal lines on my CRT tv through s-video.

EDIT:

Watching my video again, I notice the dots also streak in a horizontal line. Seems to be more visible through my CRT though.
I downloaded the video but I still can't see the dots, that makes my test useless since they could be in my setup and I couldn't see it... where exactly do they appear on the video?!
If you have the ability to frame by frame, look at frames 1043-1126, you can see them streak from left to right over and over.

blizzz

Post by blizzz »

1CHIP-02
Screenshot
Videos: Super Everdrive, Super UFO Pro 8
Small white dots. Visible on the blue background at the beginning and before the boss fight. No difference between the two flash carts. The dots are not visible on my CRT TV.
Edit: Looked at it a bit more. The dots happen all the time, they are just barely visible on some backgrounds.

APU-01
Screenshot
Video: Super Everdrive
Hard to tell with the horrible video quality of that console, but there are some line artifacts when she fires her beam in the intro.

Modded PAL console (it's an early 2 chip model, but one screw is broken so I can't check the revision anymore)
Video: Super Everdrive
Seems fine. The flimmering on some edges is caused by the cable I think. Not specific to the game.

All videos are upscaled to 720p and encoded with x264 at --crf 16.0 because my upload sucks.

I think the conclusion is that your SD2SNES is completely fine and it's just a problem with the console revisions.
Last edited by blizzz on Wed May 07, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

I'd be interested if someone with a real cart could confirm if it's a SD2SNES (or flashcarts in general) bug or actual hardware revision issues.
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

Have you guys tried all 4 fixed roms from the GoodSNES set?
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

No, I don't care about hacks and really won't prove anything. But if others are interested, by all means.
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

Pasky wrote:No, I don't care about hacks and really won't prove anything. But if others are interested, by all means.
The purpose of them is being fixed for running on flash carts or copy devices. One of them may fix the issue you guys are having. The game appears to has issues with this or the fixed roms would not exist. I would not really define them as hacks.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I downloaded a pack from Rom Hustler that had 4 roms in it. One was the normal J rom. One was the translated. The other two were "f1" and "f2".

They all had the same issue. I'm not sure if those are the same roms from GoodSNES, but there were 4 of them.

I would have no problem with a "fixed" rom. Anything that got it to work right.

EDIT: Just downloaded the roms from a GoodSNES torrent. There are 5 roms in it now.

I'll take a look in a bit.
Last edited by evil_ash_xero on Thu May 08, 2014 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I downloaded a pack from Rom Hustler that had 4 roms in it. One was the normal J rom. One was the translated. The other two were "f1" and "f2".

They all had the same issue. I'm not sure if those are the same roms from GoodSNES, but there were 4 of them.

I would have no problem with a "fixed" rom. Anything that got it to work right.
There is also and f3 and an f2+C (which may be the same as f2). Try to find the f3 as it's probably the newest fix.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Excuse me, 6 roms. They all have the same problem, unfortunately.
Magicalbottle

Post by Magicalbottle »

I have the actual cart, no SD2SNES though. do have an Everdrive.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Do you have a 1CHIP console and a Framemeister / SC-500N1?
Magicalbottle

Post by Magicalbottle »

sorry, no framemeister. guess I'll be of no help after all eh.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

You don't need a framemeister. It's visible through s-video as well. It'd be excellent if you had a 1chip and non-1chip and can test both through svideo.
SNES_is_the_Best

Post by SNES_is_the_Best »

Hmm.....

This definitely looks like another game that doesn't like the 1CHIP/Mini. I would like to add to my list here - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 52&t=46303

But the glitches are so minor and hard to notice (on my reproduction cart) that I would probably get a bunch of replies like "Youz stoopid. I dunt sea aniethang on my 1CHIP. Therefur, yur list iz all lies!"

So I'll let you guys continue to experiment with this game to see if other issues pop up, or the situation gets worse. Also, if you guys find other games that don't like the 1CHIP-Mini, feel free to add to the thread mentioned.