Rotateable TV/Monitor reccomendations?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
benstylus

Rotateable TV/Monitor reccomendations?

Post by benstylus »

I'm looking for a TV or monitor that can rotate to allow me to play my shmups vertically (thus properly).

I've read that it can damage your equipment if the monitor/TV is not made for that sort of thing - is that true?

What monitors/TVs would you recommend? Image clarity is obviously important, but ease of use and size are good too. For a monitor, I'm looking for something 17" or higher.

Thanks for your help!
You're arguing for a universe with fewer waffles in it. I'm prepared to call that cowardice.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

There was a somewhat related discussion of this several days ago:
http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131

For your first question: yes, it is possible to damage some by doing that, though I've never had a problem with any monitor or television I've used. I've never used anything larger than about 20 inches, but I would expect some of the larger screens are not sound enough to rest on their sides (widescreen especially).

For the second question:
I use a Sony PVM-1910. Very nice image quality (assuming RGB input), easy to rotate, good viewable size (19 inches).
As far as ease of use: it weighs around 50-65 lbs and you'd probably need to make cables for it* or have them made for you. Beyond those issues, the thing is wonderful.
(Note on making cables: I had mine made by someone who no longer posts here. I don't feel up to making them for anyone, but I can supply a pinout if needed.)

Not something you walk into a Best Buy to find, but they can be found on eBay a bit, sometimes repo auctions, things like that. If you watch eBay for a while, you can probably get one for $50-150, but shipping will cost you $50-100. Be warned.
I've had no issues with mine (vertical or horizontal). I've known of some other people with them, too, with no issues.

*RGB via BNC cables or 25-pin D-sub computer monitor connector.
Gozer

Post by Gozer »

I own this model TV:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

I'm thinking about TATEing it soon. Has anyone tated a TV model like this. I realize it's not going to stand upright on its own. I'm probably going to have to stack a few books in the back to keep it level.

Yea or nea?
raiden

Post by raiden »

it´s looking good, as the ventilation openings are on the sides, so the air can easily get through while it´s tated. Still, I would not recommend leaving it on standby during that time.
Gozer

Post by Gozer »

When you say "standby", do you mean I should disconnect power from the TV when I'm not using it? I do plan on having this TV dedicated to TATE. I'm only going to flip it once.