SCART Distributor -- not a switcher - know where to get one?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Overkill

Re: SCART Distributor -- not a switcher - know where to get

Post by Overkill »

Yes. There is a second revision of the unit with 2 vga outputs, mine is just 1, don't know if the other is for passthrough
Drjebus

Post by Drjebus »

Truncated post:
Drjebus wrote:My PVM is the 1910, which has BNC ports for input *and* output. I'm doing console video via RGB SCART to BNC, then do BNC outs to SCART into a SyncStrike, VGA that to an SLG3000, VGA *that* into a CGA to VGA, and finally VGA into a capture card.
In the above chain sequence, in order to go from my PVM monitor's BNC OUTs to SCART IN on the SyncStrike, I want the Male SCART to BNC Breakout *OUTPUT* flavor of cable (not *INPUT*), correct? http://www.retrogamingcables.com/male-r ... cable.html
Drjebus

Post by Drjebus »

**UPDATE**

I actually need both versions of the same cable. One to go from male console SCART => SCART to BNC into PVM (input version), and one to go from PVM BNC out => SCART to SyncStrike (output version)

It is nearly ready to assemble!

**Updated Update**

The one coming from the console has to be female SCART, derp.
Last edited by Drjebus on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

I guess I'll post an update as well since I started this thread.
I've decided to get in on the group-buy that's going on on the Neo-geo forums for the bandridge switcher, then wiring up a split-cable myself. Since I only need 2 outputs, one to my PVM, the other to a XRGB-mini w/ capture device I shouldn't have to worry too much about signal degradation splitting the audio and video to only 2 outputs. Famous last words?
I'm going to try this for now, and if it doesn't fit my needs, I'll splurge on getting a Shinybow matrix and be done with it.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I would no longer recommend the Bandridge switcher. A number of people have contacted me to tell tales of how turning on e.g a Megadrive causes a SNES connected to the same switch to partially or fully power on too. This means that the switch doesn't properly isolate the other SCART sockets when switching. I'm no electrician but I highly doubt feeding in voltage, in some cases enough voltage to power it on, to a vintage system via the AV in is going to be good for it.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

crap.
Well there goes that.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

BuckoA51 wrote:I would no longer recommend the Bandridge switcher. A number of people have contacted me to tell tales of how turning on e.g a Megadrive causes a SNES connected to the same switch to partially or fully power on too. This means that the switch doesn't properly isolate the other SCART sockets when switching. I'm no electrician but I highly doubt feeding in voltage, in some cases enough voltage to power it on, to a vintage system via the AV in is going to be good for it.
I believe this only happens with the 5th port (turning on the first or vice versa). Some users have found various work arounds for that. Basically if you only use the first 4 you're good, or so I've been told.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

Read this topic and still can't understand what item is required.
I have an RGB modified NES and I'd like to send it's video&audio to both my HDTV and my old fat tv which only takes scart. What item do I need?
I already tried a non-powered scart splitter in reverse, and it doesn't work.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

You will need a powered SCART splitter that support RGB. They are not easily available and most will degrade the picture quality. Usually no problem on a CRT, but on a bigger LCD with a scaler it might be a problem.

There's one auction on eBay that ends tomorrow, but only ships to Germany: http://www.ebay.de/itm/TOP-Umschaltbox- ... 1247601070

Outside of the EU it might be hard to find one. Maybe a component or VGA distributor with some adapters might work.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

blizzz wrote:You will need a powered SCART splitter that support RGB. They are not easily available and most will degrade the picture quality. Usually no problem on a CRT, but on a bigger LCD with a scaler it might be a problem.

There's one auction on eBay that ends tomorrow, but only ships to Germany: http://www.ebay.de/itm/TOP-Umschaltbox- ... 1247601070

Outside of the EU it might be hard to find one. Maybe a component or VGA distributor with some adapters might work.
Thank you. It says 50hz on that one. What if Iwanted to connect a Sharp Twin Famicom which is 60 hz rgb?
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

The 50Hz is in regards to the power input. 230V 50Hz is the standard in Europe. This has no direct connection to the frequency of CRT TVs. Japan has 60Hz and 50Hz electricitiy in parts of the country and all TVs were 60Hz.
nintenthe3rd

Post by nintenthe3rd »

I've been scratching my head on which scart distribution amp to get, too.

Then, I got an idea (haven't attempted, but I'd appreciate input).

I recently bought a sony PVM (hasn't come yet) and also bought a Scart2BNC cable.

I've thought about just buying some BNC2RCA connectors, component distributor (use the audio part for sync), some cables and a BNC2Scart with a male scart end (for the framemeister); the audio part I'll plug into my mixer and get an audio doubler so on and so fourth.

Will this work? I'd rather not spend $172+overseas shipping on a keene scart distributor.
Lookie what we got here, a multi-assault tank! Watch yourself, kid! Best. Announcer. EVAR!
Zer0-2k11

Post by Zer0-2k11 »

nintenthe3rd wrote:I've been scratching my head on which scart distribution amp to get, too.
I'm in the same position too. I was thinking of capturing/streaming gameplay using the Framemeister and/or play on my CRT without unplugging and plugging in SCART cables when i play delay sensitive games (Street Fighter, Etc). I don't really want to spend $250 on an actual 1x5 SCART Distribution Amp which i think is a bit over kill and very expensive. I'm going to try out the VGA method. I already bought the stuff i think was needed. I'm not sure if the Extron P/2 DA2xi is going to be compatible with composite video(CVBS)/Luma as sync on the H (Horizontal Sync) input but by looking at the specs it might be able to. If all else fails (Knock on wood), I'm sure i can find use for the stuff or resell. This is what I'm going to do and if it works out or not, i'll be sure to post an update:

Input:
SCART end of the SCART to VGA cable into the output of the Bandridge Manual SCART Switcher-> Plug VGA end of the cable into VGA Male to Male adapter -> VGA Male to Male adapter into the input of the Extron VGA Distribution Amp.

Output 1:
Male to Male VGA Adapter into output 1 of the Extron VGA Distribution Amp.-> Plug in VGA end of the SCART to VGA cable into VGA Male to Male adapter -> Plug the SCART end of the cable into the SCART adapter -> SCART Adapter into Framemeister.

Output 2:
Male to Male VGA Adapter into output 2 of the Extron VGA Distribution Amp.-> Plug in VGA end of the SCART to VGA cable into VGA Male to Male adapter -> Plug the Scart end of the cable into the RGB to Component Transcoder -> Component Cable into TV.

Audio for Framemeister (If the video section of this whole VGA method works, i will buy a proper distributor for the audio):
Bandridge left audio into RCA Y splitter and right audio into RCA Y splitter-> Use one set of outputs on the Y splitters into a RCA audio cable -> Other end of the RCA audio cables into the SCART adapter and the adapter would be set to "IN".

Audio for RGB to Component Transcoder:
Bandridge left audio into RCA Y splitter and right audio into RCA Y splitter-> Use the other set of outputs on the Y splitters and connect them to RCA audio cables -> Other end of the cables plugged directly into the TV.

List of stuff i bought
2 RCA Audio Cables = $5.56 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/131085113816?ssP ... 1439.l2649
1 Scart Adapter (To feed audio into the RGB input of the Framemeister) = $7.14 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281385567509?ssP ... 1439.l2649
3 Male to Male VGA adapters = $10.35 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271506326415?ssP ... 1439.l2649
3 Scart to VGA cables = $20.12 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/310978810439?ssP ... 1439.l2649
1 Extron P/2 DA2xi VGA Distribution Amp = $33.32 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161381876420?ssP ... 1439.l2649

Total = $76.49 (About $175 savings)
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

blizzz wrote:The 50Hz is in regards to the power input. 230V 50Hz is the standard in Europe. This has no direct connection to the frequency of CRT TVs. Japan has 60Hz and 50Hz electricitiy in parts of the country and all TVs were 60Hz.
Now that I finally have the beast you recommended incoming, how would I connect it?
It's got some nice marking for VCR 1, VCR 2, TV. Then there is two switches: TV ON / OFF.

Should I put input into TV scart slot and output scarts into VCR 1 and VCR 2?
How should that switch in the bottom be set, or maybe it doesn't matter?
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I've thought about just buying some BNC2RCA connectors, component distributor (use the audio part for sync), some cables and a BNC2Scart with a male scart end (for the framemeister); the audio part I'll plug into my mixer and get an audio doubler so on and so fourth.

Will this work? I'd rather not spend $172+overseas shipping on a keene scart distributor.
Probably not, most component distributors don't have enough bandwidth for the full RGB signal and so you end up with off-colour colours at best, no picture at worst (as sync probably won't work either).
I'm going to try out the VGA method
I couldn't wrap my head around your setup but keep in mind VGA splitters often struggle with 15khz signals, especially interlace.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Elrinth wrote:Now that I finally have the beast you recommended incoming, how would I connect it?
It's got some nice marking for VCR 1, VCR 2, TV. Then there is two switches: TV ON / OFF.

Should I put input into TV scart slot and output scarts into VCR 1 and VCR 2?
How should that switch in the bottom be set, or maybe it doesn't matter?
By the looks of it you put the input in VCR1 and the outputs in VCR2 and TV. No idea what the TV off/on switches do.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

VCR implies composite, are you sure that'll do RGB??
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

It says RGB on the box, so I guess it supports RGB.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

OKAY!! My gosh... After alot of fiddling together with big bro, we finally got it working.
VCR2 as input because that one accepts RGB.
Then TV as output to the framemeister, because TV one outputs RGB.
VCR1 doesn't seem to support RGB, but when I connect it to my other tv, it seem to work great!
So there you have it! :D
Now I can finally stream some duck hunt incase I wanted to :D

Thank you very mcuh for the help blizzz
Zer0-2k11

Post by Zer0-2k11 »

Quick update,

After doing some Google-fu, i decided to skip the whole VGA method. Sucks that i bought the stuff already but i should be able to put the stuff to good use or resell. After doing some additional research, i found the Shinybow SB-3715 SCART Distribution Amp(1 input x 4 output) . After i seen the SB-3715 on Shinybow Europe and hearing about people contacting Shinybow USA to import SCART switchers, I've decided to give Shinybow USA a shout on importing the SB-3715 and they got back to me as said they can do it for 69$ USD + $48 Shipping (Shipping to Canada via USPS priority mail express). So the total with shipping to Canada was $117 USD which is more than half the cost of a Keene 1x5 one :) and should be even cheaper for people in the US. Works great, no loss in picture from what i can see and the XRGB Mini seems to like it too :). If you get one, they give you a US power adapter so you don't need to buy an additional power supply. I thought it would of came with a UK power plug so i bought one on eBay for nothing.