Buying an asian ps2(problem solved)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MovingTarget

Buying an asian ps2(problem solved)

Post by MovingTarget »

I live in the uk, and am buying a japanese ps2, is there anything I need to know before buying? such as power supply adaptors or anything like that?

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-o.html

the first too ps2s' on that page look practically the same except one says (100-240V)... Can anyone shed some light on this for me? thanks, I dont want espgaluda and the ps2 too arrive only to find i cant play it!
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

You need a stepdown power convertor to play all import systems. These transform the 220/240V of the usual UK power source down to 110/120V of import systems. If you just plug the J-PS2 into a regular UK source without changing the actual voltage, you risk frying the PS2.

Unlike Euro adaptors which just change the pins on the adaptor, wth non-Euro technology, you have to change the input voltage as well. It shouldn't be too expensive to pick one up, since you're in the UK, Dixons or Maplin should have them.

Make sure you get the correct one. Once you have it, you can use any other import systems with it.
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Thanks :D The ps2 i'm buying has an adaptor plug but that still needs the stepdown, least it doesnt sound like too much trouble tracking one down.
thegreathopper

pstwo..

Post by thegreathopper »

You will not need a stepdown, this will straight out of the box..
the PStwo slim new model has a multi voltage adaptor 100-240 v so will work any where in the world apart from Africa where they have no electricity..
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

ahh, thats cool. :D

i'm giddier than giddy now :shock:
Icarus

Re: pstwo..

Post by Icarus »

thegreathopper wrote:You will not need a stepdown, this will straight out of the box..
the PStwo slim new model has a multi voltage adaptor 100-240 v so will work any where in the world apart from Africa where they have no electricity..
Ahh, that's handy. Best to check that it does transform from 240V to 110V, just in case. I use the Midnight Black monster brick PS2 (the oldstyle one) so it has to be transformed anyway.