I think my SNES is dead......

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FatCobra

I think my SNES is dead......

Post by FatCobra »

Anyway, I figured I'd go and play a quick run around Port Town II in F-Zero when I noticed that the SNES was making weird noises and the game wouldn't boot. I tried my other games, and they would freeze at whatever pops up when you boot them up. I checked the unit, and water leaked out of it!! I don't know how the water got in there, but I think I may have fired my SNES. It still turns on, but the games won't boot up. All I get is a black screen. Also, it smells like dog pee. I think one of my roommates invited his family over (complete with brats and a dog). Being the nice guy that I am, I bring the SNES out to let them play Mariokart. Somehow I guess, of the brats spilled water on it on the way out or their dog pissed on it. Either way, I have a dead SNES and I don't know if it can be fixed. Looks like no more Earthbound or Gradius III for a while.....
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
SAM

Post by SAM »

Sad new. :( Sounds like the mother board short circuited and burn out due to the water.

And hey, that's tons better than having your costly games like Chrono Trigger or Earth Bound burned. :o At least console are easy to replace and cost you less than most of the good games...
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

You gotta hand it to those old Nintendo consoles......they are built tough!! I figured I give the SNES one more shot to see if it was truely dead, and lo and behold!! It was ALIVE!!! Someone up there must really like my SNES (I did a quick silent prayer, some along the lines of "Oh please God, make it work...."). It just needed to rest, I guess.

Bet ya a newer console like a Playstation 2 couldn't survive what happened to my SNES!!
dpful

Post by dpful »

Yeah, I bought a SNES once that was full of snow! It dried out and worked fine.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

dpful wrote:Yeah, I bought a SNES once that was full of snow! It dried out and worked fine.
I wonder if Nintendo built some sort of short-protection ciruitry into their SNES systems?

EDIT: Will some electronics wizard please explain to me how my SNES survived shorting itself from having water in it and then magically come back to life after a couple days?
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

Possible that the area of the short (if there was a short) contained components with higher surge tolerances than the short may have caused. All depends on the internal structure of the chips themselves, and the tolerances the other components have. In any case, most of the liquid must've drained, or evaporated. Sounds like you were lucky. Of course, I can honestly say the SNES is one of the most (probably *the* most) durable console(s) I've ever encountered, so that helps a little. Now to try the same thing with an older model Playstation, or older PS2... That's another story. Much more to go wrong, including internal power supplies. Higher voltages etc. :)
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Thanks for clearing that up....I think.

Yeah, I guess Nintendo had some sort of built-in surge protecter in their SNES units. Whatever the case, my SNES survived to live the tale (This is the unit Accutron was nice enough to donate to me after finding out that my mom sold all my SNES stuff without me knowing).

I was indeed lucky and learned a valueable lesson: NEVER leave your junk in the living room if you can put it in your own room! You never know when someone gonna spill something on it!
dpful

Post by dpful »

it deosn't run on much voltage, so a lot of the shorting is just power going the wrong way making it not work. I'm sure there's parts that could fry, but it didn't happen to me either.