shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:54 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
 Post subject: Re: Sony W6 series LCD review - 2013's best gaming TV
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:30 am 

BONKERS wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:
If you really hate aliasing I guess it looks good. It's very soft and smooth- the PSTV looks much sharper, especially with smoothing turned off. I forgot to clarify that the smoothing option is only in modded firmware, so not everybody will have access to it (though getting a PSTV with a low firmware version will cost you like $30 tops).

It doesn't even do a good job of masking any aliasing. It just looks like poop. The PSP I mean. The PSTV ehh, maybe as long as you aren't playing PS1 games. Or mind the double scaling. From whatever resolution>720p>TV resolution

I mean I agree with you, but apparently other sets scale 480p much worse than Sony's typically do. There's also what appears to be an edge-detect AA post-processing option for modded PSTV firmware that definitely smoothed out anti-aliasing at the cost of some blurring. It was still sharper than the smoothing option being on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:17 am 

bobrocks95 wrote:
Sounds pretty rough for an $1,100 US display. Is that just the cost of demanding the absolute lowest lag possible, and not getting lucky with the current market?

It's just that LG don't do good LCD TVs anymore.

We can have overall good sets with low lag of course, brand and price don't matter that much, but it doesn't happen very often and is indeed a matter of luck for the customer (completely depends on the manufacturer's decisions every year)

Those LG bastards though, as we've seen several times now, can just patch their firmwares to give their sets significant lag reduction.
Proof that manufacturers are lazy asses in that field, shame it's LG doing that and not Sony. Argh.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:21 pm 

Unfortunately, my Sony KDL 50" W685 gone broken after 4 1/2 years. Has anyone had the same experience ?

I read some topics, that many Sony W Series from estimate 2013-2015 with AUO Panels gone broken. The problem is mostly the panel (maybe one COF Chip ?) and not the tcon board (which is installed in the panel and is not interchangeable).

http://alpengeist-tvrepair.blogspot.com ... fault.html

However, I will open my Tv next weekend and take a look.

Its a shame, that a TV Modell with less than 10ms Input lag not available to buy at the moment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:41 pm 

Check the 2018 Samsung QLED reviews on Rtings (Q6F, Q7F, Q9F) : very low lag and FreeSync

Though for the price of some you can have an LG OLED...

For a bit cheaper lower grade the current LG IPS 'SK' series (like SK8100) also have very low input lag.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:17 am 

I have a 60" W610, still working ok here.

No one will review it probably, but I think I might buy and try one of Vizio's 2018 1080p TVs eventually. (And maybe a bodnar tester) Find out if one of them is a VA or not and if they finally properly support 4:4:4 at all. (I'd be able calibrate and do measurements too)
Getting harder to find a decent 1080p set. And I think their 2017 1080p sets didn't support 4:4:4 either though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:43 pm 

I will open my broken W685 this weekend and take a look.

I really dont want to buy a new Tv in the next 2 years if its not really necessary...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:49 am 

I have open my TV this weekend.
Unfortunately, one or more connections in the flex cable are burnt out

These flexcables (with chip on the flex) are connected between the panel and the Tcon Board. I have no idea at the moment how to fix this.

The Tcon board is directly "bonded" with the panel. It costs estimate 10 USD and it is absolutely low cost. So i learned today, the cheapest flat tv is the best.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:20 am 

Moosmann wrote:
So i learned today, the cheapest flat tv is the best.

Sort of true, or at least as I see it the only good reason for putting a lot of money into a display would be that it's really outstanding, and you know its qualities justify the investment for many years.
It must be a real keeper, with no doubt about it.
Over time I've learned that models that deserve to be qualified as such are few.

That's why I generally pay more attention to reasonably affordable entry-to-lower-mid level models.
After all most cheap/affordable~ish TVs are crap, but once in a while we find some that are very good if just for video games.
And that's what matters (well, to me, since I'm not into 'home cinema' I don't need my TV to be good with movies, broadcast, or streaming)

Second reason why expensive displays often turn me off: they're the quickest to be surpassed/obsolated, because it's on the upper-middle and high-end/flagship ranges that manufacturers put all their innovation efforts.
Almost every year or two there will be a superior model released for the same price you paid, and yours or equivalent falls to second category at 3/4 or 1/2 price.

Online Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28