Sony W6 series LCD review - 2013's best gaming TV

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
spaceape

Re: Sony W6 series LCD review - 2013's best gaming TV

Post by spaceape »

Xyga wrote:
spaceape wrote:Audio Authority 9A60A was the only transcoder not so big and bulky i could find on ebay. I really know nothing about transcoders. I only searched the brands mentioned by Fudoh at page one of this thread. :) Do you know of any with better quality since you say i maybe could have found better?
I don't know much about transcoders as well. Followed the recommendations and I am very satisfied with the AA.
If you google about the AA you will read some people found there are better models around, but I doubt they have tried those with a video game setup and certainly not with a scanlines generator like the SLG3000.
So just wait for Fudoh's upcoming article on transcoders and you'll see if there are any other models worth considering or not.

I think at some point we're all looking for perfection but there's a moment when it becomes like an audiophile's obsession: already owning an excellent setup that covers for 95% of the desired quality, but still willing to spend tons of money to fight for the remaining 5%. :mrgreen:
Im obsessed up to a certain price point and if i have to pay much more for that extra 5% i would rather not. A good example are the speakers and projector in my home theater. CM series B&W's but not the Diamonds and the JVC X30 entry level projector. Then spend the rest on two SVS subs (cheaper than JL Audio), sound absorption and blackout fabric for that extra performance.
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

I think the main reason Jeremy thought (http://tinyurl.com/q7mznwa) the Selectx-D4 looked better was due to some kind of fake component signal being made after passing through the D1-Terminal input port (480i limited) at the end of the equipment chain which started out as a 480p signal.

The Xbox and PS2 of his old AA 9A62 configuration ended up in a XRGB scart input (Xbox started out as component/PS2 only scart), Gamecube component signal ended at the D1-Terminal.

And add his comments to this:
There must be some degradation in the image quality from an interlaced video signal, but at least with the PlayStation 2, it appears to be minimal. The video signal from the GameCube is not quite as good as previously but I was surprised it was as good as it was. The big surprise was the XBOX. The Dashboard actually looks better. This is probably because to view the same signal on the XRGB-2 Plus I had to use the Component video to RGB adapter that is supplied with it, and to be honest, it's only an adequate piece of work. Definitely not top quality. Micomsoft's products tend to be good performers, but the cables they supply are generally second-rate. The VGA cables they supply are, basically, crap. I was surprised when the D-Terminal cable they supply with the XSELECT-D4 proved to be pretty good.

The real surprise was the progressive scan image. It is significantly better than I am used to from the Audio Authority 9A62. The color is deeper, richer. Graphics are noticeably crisper. The very first game I used to test progressive scan image quality was Halo on the XBOX. As those haunting Gregorian chants spilled from the speakers, my jaw literally dropped at the improvement in image quality. Subsequent XBOX games reflected this improvement and GameCube games and SOCOM on the PS2 displayed the same quality. Micomsoft is to be commended.
So even though his new setup ended up in an D1-Terminal having all component/D-terminal connectors properly didn't hurt. :) Maybe im wrong.
Last edited by spaceape on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Any word on 2015's W models? When are they normally announced?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

IIRC usually in January (?)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Here's hoping America doesn't get the shaft again. Or anywhere else for that matter. I want Sony to be an equal opportunity TV manufacturer from now on (I.e. I'm still salty about the 705).
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Lol I don't get why the US market is always so different when it comes to displays.

So many good monitors and tvs - both crt and lcd - you guys can't have. :lol:

*evil laugh*
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Xyga wrote:Lol I don't get why the US market is always so different when it comes to displays.

*evil laugh*
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Xyga wrote:Lol I don't get why the US market is always so different when it comes to displays.

*evil laugh*
It's probably the average consumer not giving a shit about anything but screen size. It bleeds over to the stores too; I have never found a sales rep at any electronics store who could tell me a single panel type on any TV they had in stock.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

bobrocks95 wrote:It's probably the average consumer not giving a shit about anything but screen size. It bleeds over to the stores too; I have never found a sales rep at any electronics store who could tell me a single panel type on any TV they had in stock.
I think sales rep are all the same around the world. In my life I have met only one guy in a small but very good shop who knew exactly what he was selling, and he could always get me the latest horrendously expensive Japanese gadget marvels I wanted (I was into god-tier walkman at the time).
The shop later had to close because it lost its customer base to a bigger, totally mainstream, and overall more expensive franchise that opened in the very same mall.
People.
After that during the early 2000's if I wanted to actually talk to a good rep and try the actual devices I had to go as far away as the UK or Germany, where AV stuff was still a thing.
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Xyga what tv have you got for use with your XRGB? I saw your personal finding on the 9A60 in the XRGB-3 thread. Cool. :D
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I have the same W6 reviewed here by Fudoh.

And the primary scaler setup I'm using on it is an XRGB-2 coupled to a VP30+ABT102 (but that might change in the future).
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Xyga wrote:I have the same W6 reviewed here by Fudoh.

And the primary scaler setup I'm using on it is an XRGB-2 coupled to a VP30+ABT102 (but that might change in the future).
Very nice. Lowest lag and top deinterlacing with those boxes. :wink: I looked for the VP30+ABT102 but couldn't find it. Looks to have gotten pretty rare.

Im still waiting for my W7 (the shop said 4 days). So it should get shipped at the beginning of next week from the German border. :) The XRGB is at the Copenhagen customs. But it doesn't look like i can start playing with it all in many weeks because i ordered my 9A60A from a stupid US ebay seller that's very slow. There were another seller with much faster shipping but ofcause i saw his page after i already had it ordered.

Patience is sometimes a virtue with import stuff from the US and Japan. :lol:
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

It's time to pull the trigger on something. I need 50-55 inches, but I don't have space for a 55 with speakers on the sides. I would like low lag, but it's not necessarily a HUGE concern. I would also like decent 3D just for the novelty.

Does it exist? I have a hard time with TV's, as my critical units have always been top models with ISF calibrations by significant players in that field. This one is for my main living room, for the kids and such. It's not for critical viewing.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Sony offers pretty good performance for your money. Quite easy to get very near isf results without much ado.

If you want good 3D (and especially with kids), get a set with passive goggles. These are usually IPS sets which means they're less suited for movies in dark room, but more for light rooms.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I looked for the VP30+ABT102 but couldn't find it. Looks to have gotten pretty rare.
yes, they are and VP30s without the ABT upgrade are often overpriced. I might have a 50Pro for sale next week if anybody's interested. Reasonably priced. It's on hold right now for somebody who inquired earlier and I'll give him the weekend to think about it.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Fudoh wrote:I might have a 50Pro for sale next week if anybody's interested.
I am. :mrgreen:
But first come first serve of course. :wink:
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Just canceled my 9A60A order. Im getting the Xselect-D4 instead. This way my head is free of speculation. :lol:
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Does it work okay with an SLG3000 ?
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

I don't know sorry.
Sixfortyfive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

Time to make a decision. I'm looking for an HDTV:
- with less than 20ms of input lag
- that is 60" or greater in size
- plays nice with an XRGB-3 in B1 mode
- and is available in the US.

I've written down what displaylag.com has listed for Sony's 2014/2013 models, and I've filled in a few 60"+ models that I couldn't find any latency info on. So here's what I've got:

From the info here, the 65W850A seems to be the most appealing option, but I'm curious how the remaining models stack up on input lag, particularly the 65W950B. I notice that the 65S990A has a curved panel. Not sure if I care for that, either in how it looks or in that it seems to drive up the price for that model. I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to 3D, 4K, Smart TV features, and most of the other bullet points. General image quality is important, but low-latency gaming and size are the driving factors. I'm definitely open to other brands than Sony as well; these just seem to be what's hot and under the microscope at the moment.

I'll probably go with the Audio Authority 9A60A to pair with the XRGB-3 unless someone can point me to something with comparable performance for less than $100.

Any particular recommendations for a 4-way component switch?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The W950B is one of the fastest Sonys, one of the few 'under-1-frame' models (well not exactly it's rather 17ms so exactly 1 frame in 'total' lag), but the problem is that it's got an IPS panel with poor contrast ratio and black levels.

The W850B's input lag is rather in the 24ms area, but its picture quality is overall much better thanks to a good VA panel.

PS: oh and there's the W900A as a good alternative as well (19ms), but it's only 55".
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

So I got my new 705B today and started to tweak the settings. I do have a few questions though.

How do i set the deinterlacing mode. It seems the "Display Speed Preference" is missing on the W7.

Do you guys find backlight strobing makes the picture to dark? It's pretty dim but maybe you gets used to it. :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Do you guys find backlight strobing makes the picture to dark? It's pretty dim but maybe you gets used to it.
I agree.

Maybe your display automatically chooses single field deinterlacing once in game mode. You should be able to tell, by using a 480i source and switching between game and other scene modes.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

spaceape wrote:How do i set the deinterlacing mode. It seems the "Display Speed Preference" is missing on the W7.
It's somewhere in the advanced picture settings.
Turning it on/off should be possible only when you feed the TV with interlaced content.
spaceape wrote:Do you guys find backlight strobing makes the picture to dark? It's pretty dim but maybe you gets used to it. :)
Gives me instant headache... :|
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Image Forgot that my crummy temporary vga to component transcoder outputs as 'progressive' to the tv. Since the picture isn't seen as interlaced that most likely is why that setting is gone. I ordered the TC1600 RGB to Component Converter last night to remedy this.

I was playing around with the PS2 which is why i wondered.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I ordered the TC1600 RGB to Component Converter last night to remedy this.
why would another transcoder change anything about this ?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

spaceape wrote:Forgot that my crummy temporary vga to component transcoder outputs as 'progressive' to the tv. Since the picture isn't seen as interlaced that most likely is why that setting is gone. I ordered the TC1600 RGB to Component Converter last night to remedy this.

I was playing around with the PS2 which is why i wondered.
Of course whatever 480p (or higher progressive) signal you feed the TV can't be deinterlaced again and doesn't require it anyway.

The 'Speed Preference' option is only really useful for whatever 480i signal you send through the component input (you should wire the PS2 using a component cable, since the scart input is indeed useless.)

OFF = clean deinterlaced picture but laggy -> nice for whatever PS2 game that doesn't support progressive scan and that isn't a timing-critical genre like vs. fighting or shmups

ON = fast but rather ugly -> useful when reaction time is important. Of course in these situations you may use the XRGB's B1 instead, it's way sharper as Fudoh mentioned, but it's also somewhat game-dependant. Up to you to see which solution you prefer when you need 'fast 480i'.

The component input also accepts 240p but treat it as 480i. Despite that fact and as described in Fudoh's review it looks quite nice, but since you have an XRGB dealing with 240p like a King it won't be of much use to you.
Fudoh wrote:
I ordered the TC1600 RGB to Component Converter last night to remedy this.
why would another transcoder change anything about this ?
Yes I don't get it I though you'd ordered a pretty badass Micomsoft transcoder already ?
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Fudoh wrote:why would another transcoder change anything about this ?
Xyga wrote:Yes I don't get it I though you'd ordered a pretty badass Micomsoft transcoder already ?
The new transcoder would show the 480i material as 480i and not fake 480p, 720p or 1080i as done by the cheap transcoder im using right now. This is the one: http://tinyurl.com/ojsgtbr

I can see that there might be something to gain by tricking the tv into thinking it's working with 480p but the cheap transcoder also has another issue which is it moves the picture slightly to the left and locks it there. When using it with the 480p setting it also has a strange green pattern on the left side. Neither the tv nor the xrgb-3 can fix any of this. So im hoping the new transcoder will.

The xrgb-3 doesn't output to component which is why i need a transcoder Xyga. Thanks for all the information mate. :)
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Not sure what you mean as the point to have a VGA>component transcoder is to connect your XRGB to the W7 and therefore feed it with 480p, the XRGB won't output 480i anyway and it would be an useless machine if it did.

Your options, say essentially for the PS2, are as follow;

PS2 240p > scart rgb cable > XRGB-3 B1 (480p)> VGA to Component transcoder > W7

PS2 480i > scart rgb cable > XRGB-3 B1 (480p) or B2 (480p or up)> VGA to Component transcoder > W7

PS2 480i > component cable > W7 (then 'speed preference' ON or OFF)

PS2 480p > component cable > W7

- All while in GAME scene mode, of course.
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

I needed something so i could take the VGA B1 output port/cable from the XRGB-3 and feed it into the tv's component port. As you know there's no vga port in the back of the tv so i need a transcoder.

Aren't you yourself using your Audio Authority 9A60 for that?