Shaky image on Panasonic Tau CT-27SL14J

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

Shaky image on Panasonic Tau CT-27SL14J

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I bought a couple of CRT TVs a few months ago(one Triniton and one Panasonic). The Panasonic is giving me some trouble.

The picture is kind of shaky. I don't want to over exaggerate it though. It's like around the edges of pixels, you will see almost a shimmer. It's pretty noticable up close. Not as much from a distance. But if you get some fine text on the screen in 240, you're going to see it.
It's not like the whole picture is shaking or something like that. Just edges of pixels...shimmering..that kind of thing.

I thought maybe it was interference, so I took it upstairs to my room, and had the same problem. I hooked my PS2 to a smaller CRT in my room, and it's picture was rock solid. I have a larger Sharp CRT in my game room, and it has some of the shimmering pixels on edges, but nothing like the Panasonic. It's almost non-existant.

What causes this? Is there anything to be done about it? It's annoying.
Last edited by evil_ash_xero on Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trap15

Re: Shaky image on CRT

Post by trap15 »

What cable are you using to connect? Composite?
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Primarily component. But I did try composite with the PS2, and also with a Genesis. Same thing.

Basically, component has some of the shakes that composite is known for.
system11

Post by system11 »

Yeah this is not unexpected, you really need to be using RGB to get away from that.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Some CRTs have sharpness or flicker setting in the video menus somewhere, whenever I get that on mine with the VGA to Composite/S-Video adapter I use I adjust the flicker till its rock-solid. Not sure if that's any help in your case, but worth looking for in the TV settings.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Nothing in the settings. :(
alpachinko

Post by alpachinko »

Try the Service Mode for your TV. Might have to google how to get in to it though.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

It's a Panasonic CT-27SL14J

If you can find something on that one, let me know. I'm not having any luck.

EDIT: I found this: ftp://ftp.sgallinger.com.ar/Panasonic/P ... 27SL14.pdf

But I don't have a channel number 124. Maybe a dumb question, but how do I go about putting that in there?

Also, in the Service Mode Menu Adjustment Charts, what would I be looking for, that might help this problem? (the options are on page 1 of the PDF)
I'm not seeing anything related to Flicker.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Some CRTs have sharpness or flicker setting in the video menus somewhere, whenever I get that on mine with the VGA to Composite/S-Video adapter I use I adjust the flicker till its rock-solid. Not sure if that's any help in your case, but worth looking for in the TV settings.
It does have sharpness, but it really doesn't do anything with the jittering.
PurpBullets

Re: Shaky image on Panasonic Tau CT-27SL14J

Post by PurpBullets »

I happen to have the same exact TV...
Mine is shaky too... :?

Alright, so to get 124, I suppose you need to program the channels. Hit the button in the middle of the 4 directions on the remote. Go to setup, program, and then manual program. set it to cable, go down to manual channel, hit right on the 4 directions to add a #, and put in 125!

Hopefully this problem gets solved because the shaky image had me considering throwing it away for a while.

EDIT: Before jumping into the service menu, take notes of settings carefully.

If I had to guess what would fix this in the service menu? I would say something with v-sync or something vert. related. Im just guessing though. Might be something with the hdef? Again, just guessing.
Last edited by PurpBullets on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Wow. That sucks.

Good to know it's just not this TV. Bad to know that it might just be "how it is". Which is bad.

Come on folks...any way to fix this issue? I don't want to fudge around with the service menu, unless I know exactly what to do.
PurpBullets

Post by PurpBullets »

Indeed..
Actually when I picked it up out of the empty retirement home room, took it home and played some horrible turok rage wars on it... I was perplexed by the shaky image on everything. Even on my dish the image was jittery and unwatchable really, while the TV boasts HD I think?

I looked the tv up, and read literally hundreds of reviews from 2006? (iirc) when the tv was brand new, the image was jittery... People trying to return them to best buy within the week... haha

So yeah, these tvs have a serious problem.

That doesnt mean you should give up though. The service menu might be the ticket.
Just gotta wait for a more skilled TV guy to come in here and make suggestions. :wink:

Even more funny... The manual for the tv says it was fine tuned to perfection, or some shit like that. haha
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Fine tuned to perfection you say? :roll:

Yeah, I hope somebody can come in here and help. I got it for 25 dollars, but it's in like new shape. The trip to get it was kind of nuts (near Amish country), but at least I got a wonderful Trinitron TV out of it as well.

I never read the old reviews about it having a shaky image.

Well, hopefully someone can come in here and figure it out. I'm trying to stock up on CRTs, and I've already had 2 out of 4 have problems from day 1. It's a drag.
PurpBullets

Post by PurpBullets »

Somebody on this forum must have a suggestion? Where to start in the Service Menu?
If someone could suggest what they imagine would be causing this, please do.
I will mess around with the service menu if someone has some ideas.

The picture is a slight shake or jitter, most noticeable on the borders, all 4 sides. I really dont think this is due to cables. Its not just 1, its all of these tvs.

I found this, and while it didnt say Panasonic Tau, at the end he says something about a panasonic.
Pretty sure he has a Tau also.

Thanks for any ideas!
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

I think the question we need to ask ourselves is why a CRT would have something as absurd as a service menu setting to adjust screen shaking to begin with?

You would think that if such a thing was controllable the set would automatically keep it at its minimum extreme.

I think you guys are out of luck on this one.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

I am looking for a few CRT's and one is a Panasonic, with Quintrix technology. Is it any good?
Don't want to bother topic's creator but I did'nt want to start a new topic either.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Well, this model certainly has problems.
stellarola

Post by stellarola »

Wanted to bump this thread since I am having the exact same issue on the same model as you, with an exception.

I can recreate the exact same issue as you have when connecting my AV Famicom (RGB modded) and Super Famicom (RGB) then using the Retrotink RGB2Comp transcoder for component video to TV.

Both consoles display the same "jitter" found mostly on the top half of the screen and the edges. I also used two different types of SCART cables for Nintendo Multiout. One has composite video for sync and the other uses csync.

However my Megadrive using RGB Scart to RGB2Comp does not have any jitter and works totally fine. So this appears to be some sort of sync issue. I purchased a Megadrive/Genesis Model 1 SCART cable on ebay like 4-5 years ago now and can't find out what they did. However I can view the title of the ebay listing and it says the Genesis SCART cable has "boosted sync". Would that mean it's using some sort of sync stripper IC?

Would like to hear any thoughts on this. I have only tested these 3 systems and will be trying my Saturn later today.

Best,

stell
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Talk about ancient history! But yeah, this is a thing on 15 KHz CRTs. I like to call it "micro-jitter", for lack of a better description. Its more prevalent / apparent on some than others, but pretty much present in ALL of them to some degree. Seems to be more apparent on larger sets, less on smaller. Check out this thread-- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58861

Some discussions about it have taken place there. People have re-capped their entire sets in vain trying to reduce / eliminate it.

What Im talking about is even visible on the menus / OSDs of the sets and is independent of source signal quality. What you describe seems like a source problem, if what you say about some systems exhibiting it and others not is correct. "Boosted sync" or "Raw boosted sync" implies some sort of amplification of the sync signal and would require a transistor and/or some sort of video amplifier IC. "Retro Console Accessories", the chick from Florida I believe, used to market her Genesis SCART cables as such. I think I have one also.
stellarola

Post by stellarola »

Josh128 wrote:Talk about ancient history! But yeah, this is a thing on 15 KHz CRTs. I like to call it "micro-jitter", for lack of a better description. Its more prevalent / apparent on some than others, but pretty much present in ALL of them to some degree. Seems to be more apparent on larger sets, less on smaller. Check out this thread-- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58861

Some discussions about it have taken place there. People have re-capped their entire sets in vain trying to reduce / eliminate it.

What Im talking about is even visible on the menus / OSDs of the sets and is independent of source signal quality. What you describe seems like a source problem, if what you say about some systems exhibiting it and others not is correct. "Boosted sync" or "Raw boosted sync" implies some sort of amplification of the sync signal and would require a transistor and/or some sort of video amplifier IC. "Retro Console Accessories", the chick from Florida I believe, used to market her Genesis SCART cables as such. I think I have one also.
I know what you mean by some micro-jitter more noticeable on larger sets. I think I would have to do some sort of sync amp type of thing to get this working correctly, from the looks of it. I have some hardware coming in from Europe and i'll see how that works out.

Though this TV has some of the most brutal video processing I've ever seen. The image is too sharp even with sharpness setting turned down in the menu. Maybe something in the service menu I can adjust because it looks...not great.

Aside from the processing the geometry is fantastic, colors are good. I just can't deal with the processing.
stellarola

Post by stellarola »

This may help too possibly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtkB4vTSLoM

I see there is a thread dedicated to the jitter. Which i have on both my super fami and fami. I'll continue checking this out...
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

I use an old Micomsodt box and an OSSC. I installed the dejitter board on a SNES Jr and it made a huge difference. Still a tiny bit of jitter, but nothing to look at from 2-3 feet away.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee