Thread Split: Drakon's Modding

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Drakon

Re: Thread Split: Drakon's Modding

Post by Drakon »

So this is a constructive thread designed to help?:

http://www.retromods.net/viewtopic.php?t=33
Last edited by Drakon on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Drakon wrote:That people are more constructive, less public towards and have more patience with people who are just starting out in and trying to learn modding. Instead of thinking "he doesn't care" try thinking "maybe he's too busy to improve any faster". This doesn't only apply to me, to anyone really.
If you're taking actively advertising and taking money for mods you aren't likely to get sympathy for your progress or lack thereof. And really, I don't know why you would expect that.

When I get bad service from a business I don't think about helping them improve or maybe they're too busy to fix their issues. I get mad and spread the word about how that business screwed me. I don't see how that shouldn't apply to you.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

I didn't want to start modding because I knew how inexperienced I was. As I said it only started because people kept bugging me.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Drakon wrote:So this is a constructive thread designed to help?:

http://www.retromods.net/viewtopic.php?t=33

Yes. It takes a few liberties and jabs. Unfortunately, 90% of your previous work are lessons in what not to do.

People like to have fun with it, and I'm just as guilty for criticizing your ungodly terrible modding abilities in the past.

Nonetheless, it's a decent little forum.
Last edited by Voultar on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Those sorts of threads are exactly what scare people away from getting into it and posting their work so they can actually get the help that they need. A lot of people will look at that and think "you know what...I don't want to be treated like that".
Last edited by Drakon on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Drakon wrote:Those sorts of threads are exactly what scare people away from getting into it and posting their work so they can actually get the help that they need.

I believe the idea is.. If they see what not to do, they'll be deterred from doing it.
Last edited by Voultar on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Drakon wrote:I didn't want to start modding because I knew how inexperienced I was. As I said it only started because people kept bugging me.
I find this really hard to believe.

Edit: Also, it doesn't matter if you did or did not want to start modding for money anyway. You did mod for money, and when you begin to act like a business, you are treated like a business. I don't see why that would surprise you.
Last edited by darcagn on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

I have nothing against posting pictures of my bad work as examples. I mean the rude comments that I'd find in there. People will read those useless comments and think to themselves "that's not the sort of advice I'd want with my mistakes".

darcagn I got really famous really quickly after I had gained the absolute bare minimum skill to get my first rgb mod going.
Last edited by Drakon on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

darcagn wrote:
Drakon wrote:I didn't want to start modding because I knew how inexperienced I was. As I said it only started because people kept bugging me.
I find this really hard to believe.
I'm giving Drakon several breaks. I'm very apprehensive to believe much of what he says.. As it doesn't really hold much salt.

The dude has been through the ringer for 2 years. I'm just trying to give him a chance to redeem himself in some respect.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Which is why I haven't really tried defending myself until now. Simply because people don't want to believe anything I ever say.
Last edited by Drakon on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Drakon wrote:Which is why I haven't really tried defending myself until now. Simply because people don't want to believe anything I ever say.
It's not a matter of "not wanting" to believe you, Drakon. It's the simple fact that there's a tall order of substantiating evidence that's on the contrary.

I didn't say that I didn't believe you, I said that I'm apprehensive in believing you.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Yeah I'm not talking about now, I'm talking about when this started. I tried talking to people back then, nobody was listening. Was I unprofessional and inexperienced? Definitely. Did I care? Of course.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Drakon wrote:darcagn I got really famous really quickly after I had gained the absolute bare minimum skill to get my first rgb mod going.
Yes. I remember that. I was just starting to get into modding at that time, and the PC10 RGB PPU mod was my first project. At that time, I didn't know what I was doing and I was scouring the web for as much info as possible because there wasn't any really simple good tutorial on how to get it done. I came upon your posts countless times, claiming that you had the best PC10 RGB PPU mod process out there, with the complete elimination of jailbars, etc. which was all a lie.

You weren't the first to do the RGB PPU, so why did you become famous? Because you claimed you were something you aren't.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

I posted video captures and customers all loved how it looked when it showed up. I consistently told customers that it didn't 100% eliminate jailbars and I'd send pictures and the video captures to show them how good it looked. I wasn't the first to do it but I made a lot of changes to the existing mod. I never claimed to be the first person to do it.
Last edited by Drakon on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Drakon wrote:I posted video captures and customers all loved how it looked when it showed up. I consistently told customers that it didn't 100% eliminate jailbars and I'd send pictures and the video captures to show them how good it looked.

Did you say publicly that it did or didn't 100% eliminate jailbars?

There's a fundamental difference between publicly asserting something and then saying something to someone in confidence.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

I'm pretty certain I publicly said it's not 100% but very close. I posted closeup pictures of my tv and screen captures. Honestly this was a very long time ago.
Last edited by Drakon on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Drakon wrote:I posted video captures and customers all loved how it looked when it showed up. I consistently told customers that it didn't 100% eliminate jailbars and I'd send pictures and the video captures to show them how good it looked. I wasn't the first to do it but I made a lot of changes to the existing mod. I never claimed to be the first person to do it.
Come on, that's bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3PMfeN7cBA
This is my modified sharp twin famicom. I added the following:

True RGB with no jailbars or video interference. Using a rgb ppu chip from an arcade unit.

True S-video with no jailbars or video interference.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Yes no noticeable interference on my tv. If that's how you want to interpret it then that's up to you. The whole reason why I'd make video captures was for customers to see and decide for themselves. I'd often get asked about it and I'd always forward them to those videos. When their system arrived they agreed that it looked as good as the videos. I'd post the videos in the posts as well, again because I wanted the customer to decide based on the videos.
Last edited by Drakon on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Drakon wrote:Yes no noticeable interference on my tv. If that's how you want to interpret it then that's up to you. The whole reason why I'd make video captures was for customers to see and decide for themselves. I'd often get asked about it and I'd always forward them to those videos. When their system arrived they agreed that it looked as good as the videos.

I'm curious. How were you thoroughly testing these RGB modded systems when you don't own a device that accepts RGB inputs?
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

I have an overly sensitive s-video capture device. On those systems it picked up jailbars much better than any tv did.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Voultar wrote: I'm curious. How were you thoroughly testing these RGB modded systems when you don't own a device that accepts RGB inputs?
I was wondering that myself...
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Later I realized that the s-video circuit was amping the rgb so I switched to testing with an external rgb to component circuit. It was't necessary, all my systems had the same video circuit and output rgb at the same brightness.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Drakon wrote:Later I realized that the s-video circuit was amping the rgb so I switched to testing with an external rgb to component circuit. It was't necessary, all my systems had the same video circuit and output rgb at the same brightness.
I'm confused. Before you were using an RGB to component converter, you were just testing the Y/C circuit?
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

I built an external rgb to s-video circuit. It used the rgbs output pins on the av port. The external component circuit used the same pins.
Last edited by Drakon on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Drakon wrote:I built an external rgb to s-video circuit. It used the rgbs output pins on the av port. The external component circuit worked the same way.

Yeah. You might want to grab a display that accepts native 15kHz RGB to test that correctly. Just a suggestion.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

It's okay, nobody wants to hire me anyway.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

When was your last RGB commission?
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Voultar wrote:
Drakon wrote:I built an external rgb to s-video circuit. It used the rgbs output pins on the av port. The external component circuit worked the same way.

Yeah. You might want to grab a display that accepts native 15kHz RGB to test that correctly. Just a suggestion.
You would think he would have been able to afford one with the prices he charges.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Drakon wrote:When I hire someone and don't get as good service as I had hoped I don't blame the person I hired, I blame myself for not doing enough research first.
Drakon wrote:I'm not blaming the customers for poor quality work. I'm blaming them for making it sound like I don't care about anything.
Quite the contradiction. I'm just trying to flesh out my point.

Again, we're coming back to shifting the blame & responsibility onto your customer base.

That's akin to saying: "If you pay me for a service and aren't happy with the services rendered.. You shouldn't blame me, but yourself. Clearly you didn't do your research."

I understand having a disgruntled customer here and there. We've all dealt with that. But you honestly can't believe that the person paying you $300-$500 for mod-work is responsible for picking up the pieces and eating the bulk of the cost of the broken & shitty mod-work you did. You can't hold the customer accountable for that.

If I did that when I was actively modding, my customers would immediately turn on me. If Jason did that, his customers would immediately turn on him. If Skips did that when he was actively modding, his customers would immediately turn on him. It didn't happen to us. Why did it happen to you?

They paid the fee, they've honored their end of the commitment. Being a novice modder is absolutely no excuse for taking money out of someones hand in return for a shitastic job.

I'm not thrashing you. I'm just leveling.
zaneiken

Post by zaneiken »

Voultar wrote: I'm curious. How were you thoroughly testing these RGB modded systems when you don't own a device that accepts RGB inputs?
Via S-Video on his crappy CRT. :lol: