shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:09 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:28 pm 

GeneraLight wrote:
Can the NESRGB mod be installed alongside the Hi-Def NES mod on an AV Famicom?

As I understand it, no--it's one or the other.

GeneraLight wrote:
Also, is the Hi-Def NES Mod the only way to get digital audio?

So far, yes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:22 am 

Hey so made a discovery today while experimenting with my nesrgb install! :D
I have a SCART switch, if I plug in another console and power it on BOOM the screen lights up in all the rgb glory you can imagine! Some kind of power problem? Both consoles must be on, I also noticed my switch has a led that does not light up for the NES unless I run the second console (lights up with any other single console and display is fine). It’s an Otaku 6 port switch.
What do you think?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:19 pm 

Tempest_2084 wrote:
I'm attempting to solder a wire to my NESRGB board in order to mix in the expansion audio (Wolff's mod: http://www.firebrandx.com/edn8tonesrgb.html). As I have a v1 version of the board and not a v2, I contacted the board's creator (Tim) and was given a diagram showing three different points where I can do this on the v1 board. I've never attempted to solder to something this tiny before. Any tips? I'm thinking about trying for the top component as it's not quite so flat to the board and I think I actually have a chance of getting the wire in there without making a solder bridge to an adjacent component.

I did this mod to my v1 NES RGB today.
With Konami carts like Akumajou Densetsu and Lagrange Point, sound is nice and clear!
But when using the Famicom Disk System RAM adapter, the audio is distorted. Like overdriven.

Anyone else that has the same experience?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:25 pm 

I think I figured out why my TV doesn’t like my nesrgb setup. I am getting 11.4V on the switching line pin 8 (using the supplied cable from NESRGB) my SNES only sends 4.5v on this line. My Otaku switch seems to combine these together and then I get over 11v to blanking, which I believe takes the tv out of RGB mode.
Is there a way to mod this cable to get that switching voltage down below 5v? (Going to try just disconnecting pin 8, but may cause problems in other scart setups??)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:30 pm 

MiteWiseacre wrote:
I think I figured out why my TV doesn’t like my nesrgb setup. I am getting 11.4V on the switching line pin 8 (using the supplied cable from NESRGB) my SNES only sends 4.5v on this line. My Otaku switch seems to combine these together and then I get over 11v to blanking, which I believe takes the tv out of RGB mode.
Is there a way to mod this cable to get that switching voltage down below 5v? (Going to try just disconnecting pin 8, but may cause problems in other scart setups??)

If it's a problem with the switcher, I'd try to resolve it there. I don't think it's appropriate for the blanking and status/aspect-ratio pins to be bridged; if that's the case, then you should either try notifying the manufacturer/seller that there's a fundamental issue with the design, or, failing that, you should find out where they're getting bridged and sever it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:11 pm 

I don't have an NES RGB yet, but I plant to get one. Tim's Software and Errata page doesn't list the color palettes associated with Version 2.2 firmware. Does anybody know which palettes are shipping on V2.2? I'm asking because I don't know if I need to bother getting a USB blaster to change the palettes to some of Firebrandx's.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:16 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
MiteWiseacre wrote:

If it's a problem with the switcher, I'd try to resolve it there. I don't think it's appropriate for the blanking and status/aspect-ratio pins to be bridged; if that's the case, then you should either try notifying the manufacturer/seller that there's a fundamental issue with the design, or, failing that, you should find out where they're getting bridged and sever it.

Just got some new cables in the mail, took a while because they came from UK. Works great now! Just need to wire up sound to the other two pins. Not sure what the deal was with the nesrgb supplied cables, seem to cut down the switching voltage or something, my setup didn’t like it.
Retro Gaming Cables 8pin mini din to euroscart packapunch cable
Recommended!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:18 pm 

thompsr2 wrote:
I don't have an NES RGB yet, but I plant to get one. Tim's Software and Errata page doesn't list the color palettes associated with Version 2.2 firmware. Does anybody know which palettes are shipping on V2.2? I'm asking because I don't know if I need to bother getting a USB blaster to change the palettes to some of Firebrandx's.

Same as 2.1. I would go with 2.3 unless you really need dejitter. 2.3 makes your NESRGB back into a V1 that has worked perfectly fine for thousands since 2013.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:20 pm 

I was curious if anyone could enlighten me on my problem. I've tried searching everywhere to no avail.

So, I had installed a NESRGB20 board into my frontloader, and have it running to a Multi Out to a SNES Scart cable >OSSC. I'd tested the PPU in the socket after desoldering it, and when everything was confirmed to still be working I went through with installing everything. The issue I'm having is that the backgrounds are correct, but the sprites are drastically miscolored. Mega Man on the MM2 start screen shows up as purple with white hair, Koopa shells in SM3 are purple, Mario varies from being black with a red outline to be green depending on the background. What's odd, is if I hook up the original composite The colors are normal again, which narrows everything down to the RGB board. I bridged J3, J5 and omitted the palette switch by bridging pads 3 and GND. I've tried running Sync through both CS# and PPUV, but get the same results. I can't imagine it'd have anything to do with that anyway, considering everything else shows up perfectly.

I should also note that I'm using a BLW as well and have cleaned the cartridge connectors and pin slots. Any kind of help would be great.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:28 am 

What is everyone's favorite custom palette for use on CRT RGB monitors? I got a 2.0 board and the SONY CXA palette is way too colorful on a CRT.

I specially miss the PC10 palette, not as a main palette but I like how Super Mario Bros and other early games look on it.

I guess -V2 HARDWARE - V2.2 - 00 - PC10_FCEUX_Unsaturated-V6 would be the closest to the original palettes on the 1.0 boards?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:00 pm 

I prefer PC10_Wavebeam_Smooth

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:22 am 

Hi,
Sorry to post for help with my first post, I was hoping to do better. It seems I messed up something with my NESRGB install (2.0) on my Top Loader.

Did I fry something?

The image is all garbled, especially backgrounds. Everything looks black & red in Super Mario Bros. 3. Sprites look kinda OK.

My soldering might not be Voultar level but is looking pretty OK. I don't see bridges anywhere.

And the worse thing is that when powering it on a few times to take the picture above, the issue seemed to be getting worse and worse... and now my NES barely works.

I through I had been very careful with it :(

EDIT: I tested for continuity an found out that one of the square pin strip of the adapter board has a bunch of bad connections on one side. I'll desolder and resolder the whole thing to see if it fixes the issue.

EDIT 2: After reading through pages of this thread, it seems the lack of continuity on pins 2-9 and 14-17 is normal. All other pins have continuity to the NES board. I probably fried the PPU or something else without realizing it. After powering it on/off a few times it degraded to the point where now I only get a black screen. I'm really not qualified to troubleshoot it more that. I'll probably try swapping the PPU by a clone just to see if that's the source of the issue. If not, that'll be the end of it.

Last edited by pixeltao on Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:11 am, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:33 am 

PC10_FCEUX_Unsaturated-V6 is the set I'm currently using. Unsaturated-V6 looks reasonably natural to my eyes, and I do like PC-10 for certain games as well. It'd be really nice if the NESRGB supported user palettes like the 2600RGB does, though. I'd probably go with PC-10, YUV, and FBX's rip from the RetroTINK-2X Pro that he posted a while back, since I quite like that one.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174