shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:42 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4748 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:40 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 2100
Location: DFW area, Texas
Larrs888 wrote:

I really want to keep it tidy and not have a pallet switch installed and will probably ask for the firmware to be flashed with FBX's Smooth pallet.
Should I ask to have the caps removed so I can use a 470 CSYNC SNES NTSC Scart cable or order a CSYNC PASS Through



Hey thanks for the support of my Smooth palette!

With regard to components in the cable versus in the console itself, my opinion is to always defer to caps and resistors in the console and use pass-through cables whenever possible. For example: The PS2 has all the caps in the console, so I take them out of the cable. That's just me though.
_________________
Framemeister profiles: http://www.firebrandx.com/framemeisterprofiles.html

NES NTSC Palettes: http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

SNES Serial DB: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HYLy_TTDop_FzuX6qnxuQI43upg4raXfno582taO744/pubhtml


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:01 am 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2016
Posts: 46
Location: United Kingdom
FBX wrote:
Larrs888 wrote:

I really want to keep it tidy and not have a pallet switch installed and will probably ask for the firmware to be flashed with FBX's Smooth pallet.
Should I ask to have the caps removed so I can use a 470 CSYNC SNES NTSC Scart cable or order a CSYNC PASS Through



Hey thanks for the support of my Smooth palette!

With regard to components in the cable versus in the console itself, my opinion is to always defer to caps and resistors in the console and use pass-through cables whenever possible. For example: The PS2 has all the caps in the console, so I take them out of the cable. That's just me though.


Thanks FBX, so do you think the SNES c-sync passthrough cable that RGC UK sell will do the job for the NES RGB with the caps left on the board?

Many thanks


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:29 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 671
Is there any chance of an updated NESRGB board, or perhaps a firmware update, with dejitter support?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:28 pm 



Joined: 26 Jun 2016
Posts: 34
nmalinoski wrote:
Is there any chance of an updated NESRGB board, or perhaps a firmware update, with dejitter support?

↑this


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2016
Posts: 46
Location: United Kingdom
Sorry guys I hope you can help, I’ve tried searching and I just need some confirmation please. Can I use an NTSC SNES RGB scart cable for the NES RGB in an AV Famicom that is wired for 470 c-sync with the 3 220uf capacitors removed from the scart head or remove them from the NES RGB board and bridge the connections like in Voltar’s video.

I want to get another Packapunch cable ordered whilst there is a sale on and then get the RGB mod after my summer vacation.

This is the one here:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... gold-scart

Thanks all:) really can’t wait to get my AV Famicom upgraded soon.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:52 pm 



Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 325
Larrs888 wrote:
Sorry guys I hope you can help, I’ve tried searching and I just need some confirmation please. Can I use an NTSC SNES RGB scart cable for the NES RGB in an AV Famicom that is wired for 470 c-sync with the 3 220uf capacitors removed from the scart head or remove them from the NES RGB board and bridge the connections like in Voltar’s video.

I want to get another Packapunch cable ordered whilst there is a sale on and then get the RGB mod after my summer vacation.

This is the one here:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... gold-scart

Thanks all:) really can’t wait to get my AV Famicom upgraded soon.


I use mine with an off-the-shelf SNES cable, much like you linked to there. You can either remove the components from the cable or the NESRGB as you said. In my case, I removed them from the NESRGB. You'll want to leave J8 on the NESRGB open as well, which I believe sets you up for TTL c-sync output (since this is what the cable expects). I've not had any issues with this setup.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:04 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2016
Posts: 46
Location: United Kingdom
thebigcheese wrote:
Larrs888 wrote:
Sorry guys I hope you can help, I’ve tried searching and I just need some confirmation please. Can I use an NTSC SNES RGB scart cable for the NES RGB in an AV Famicom that is wired for 470 c-sync with the 3 220uf capacitors removed from the scart head or remove them from the NES RGB board and bridge the connections like in Voltar’s video.

I want to get another Packapunch cable ordered whilst there is a sale on and then get the RGB mod after my summer vacation.

This is the one here:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... gold-scart

Thanks all:) really can’t wait to get my AV Famicom upgraded soon.


I use mine with an off-the-shelf SNES cable, much like you linked to there. You can either remove the components from the cable or the NESRGB as you said. In my case, I removed them from the NESRGB. You'll want to leave J8 on the NESRGB open as well, which I believe sets you up for TTL c-sync output (since this is what the cable expects). I've not had any issues with this setup.


Thanks for the reply, I’ve tried to read up on TTL sync and think I’m ok with it. I was confused because RGC UK have changed their csync options from a month back and TTL pass through isn’t an option anymore. I’ll orde the 470 and ask the installer to set TTL output and to remove the caps:)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:03 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2016
Posts: 193
Location: n/america
heya hardware ppl, is there a "best location" to mount the extra voltage regulator that comes with the mod?

i'm to the point where i'm trying to figure out where to put what and i'd like to avoid cramming it somewhere it's going to be pressed onto anything.

thanks fer any help. :)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:17 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 671
vol.2 wrote:
heya hardware ppl, is there a "best location" to mount the extra voltage regulator that comes with the mod?

i'm to the point where i'm trying to figure out where to put what and i'd like to avoid cramming it somewhere it's going to be pressed onto anything.

thanks fer any help. :)

My understanding is that that voltage regulator is intended to directly replace the stock one.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2016
Posts: 193
Location: n/america
nmalinoski wrote:
vol.2 wrote:
heya hardware ppl, is there a "best location" to mount the extra voltage regulator that comes with the mod?

i'm to the point where i'm trying to figure out where to put what and i'd like to avoid cramming it somewhere it's going to be pressed onto anything.

thanks fer any help. :)

My understanding is that that voltage regulator is intended to directly replace the stock one.


i believe you are thinking of the re-cap kit, which contains a replacement. the NESRGB kit has an auxiliary VR that is intended to take strain off of the main one during use in order to prevent overheating.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:57 am 



Joined: 31 Jan 2017
Posts: 8
You may replace the stock linear regulator for the L78S05C. It has a 2A capacity at 5V, more than enough for a NES with a NESRGB.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2016
Posts: 193
Location: n/america
flamie666 wrote:
You may replace the stock linear regulator for the L78S05C. It has a 2A capacity at 5V, more than enough for a NES with a NESRGB.


the statement was more about the "intention" of including the extra voltage regulator. time clearly states that "2. Solder wires to the voltage regulator. Check the wiring diagram for details. Both ground wires must be soldered - one is for the NESRGB board and other for connection to the internal NES voltage regulator."

and shown on his wiring diagram here: https://etim.net.au/nesrgb/installation ... am-NES.pdf

is ins/outs to and from the stock VR. to me, that is intention beyond shadow of a doubt to use both. the explanation given by tim is that using one VR heats up the area where the stock VR lives too much for the caps in that spot and could lead to premature cap failure


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:50 pm 



Joined: 07 Aug 2018
Posts: 3
I just finished installing my NESRGB on my NES toploader. I connected it to a nintendo multiport but I am unable to get mono sound out of the NESRGB board. I have the Audio Output (O) connected to multiport pin 11 but still no audio. Im using a retro gaming cables SNES SCART and audio is coming through on my SNES.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:24 pm 



Joined: 27 Nov 2014
Posts: 142
Location: Hellhole
mrwokn wrote:
I just finished installing my NESRGB on my NES toploader. I connected it to a nintendo multiport but I am unable to get mono sound out of the NESRGB board. I have the Audio Output (O) connected to multiport pin 11 but still no audio. Im using a retro gaming cables SNES SCART and audio is coming through on my SNES.


First you need to run a wire from resistor R4 to Audio Input A and another one from resistor R5 to Audio Input B.
Optional: If you want the famicom expansion audio, install 47k ohm resistor on EXP input on NESRGB board and run a wire from cartridge's pin 51 to this resistor.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:26 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Sep 2018
Posts: 20
@Larrs888 This may be too late, but i got a PAL NES Frontloader, AV Famicom and RGB N64 from oldskoolconsoles pre-modded. The modwork is clean and well done, can't fault anything. His prices are very reasonable too. The consoles were in decent condition and well packaged so i think sending yours in would be fine.

However, the only problem i found is the way they were hooked up to the multi outs. Both AV FC and N64 had composite cut (as must be done for these mods) and then had TTL Csync wired to them. Which means anyone using a standard sync-on-composite scart cable, or hell even a composite RCA cable would be sending TTL Csync to their tv. I was worried about this till i found out the supposed "TTL" Csync of the NES and N64 RGB boards actually only give about 0.7Vp-p over 75ohms (which is within 75ohm spec), as apposed to something like 2.5Vp-p which could cause damage. Also while the N64 had TTL wired to the composite pin, CS75 was wired to pin 3, which means someone using an NTSC SNES CSYNC Cable would be dropping 75ohm level csync over a 470ohm resistor.

After querying all this with him, and suggesting he just try and match the NTSC SNES in terms of sync output options, he got back to me thanking me fir my help and saying he'd take it on board, very nice guy. Even helped me more recently identify why my PAL frontloader had weird interference all over the screen (turned out to be a power issue, damn crappy NES regulator.) Would reccomend getting a 9v 2a psu if anyone encounters any issues, before ripping apart their NES RGB board on a wild goose chase.

Anyway where was i? Yes very good modder, just maybe tell him how you want it hooked up. Hope this is helpfull, it's my first post here, (hello everyone) made an account just cause i can finally answer something :D
I've attached some photos of his modwork.

https://i.imgur.com/y4Hp0dx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Rt0F1ig.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yFcgG3x.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Y3ydqk1.jpg


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:44 am 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Sep 2018
Posts: 20
Need some help, im trying to capture my NESRGB. My setup is

AV Famicom > OSSC > Elgato Cam Link > OBS

All other consoles work in this setup but something about the AV Famicom makes it not work. Either the 60.08Hz or the short Hsync every 2 frame thing the NES does. I can get an image but it jumps left and right like a mad thing. Ive tried all kinds of OSSC modes and settings, nothings worked. Normally i disconect in 10 seconds of trying a new setting, but once i let it run for 2 minutes it crashed my PC. Havent seen a blue screen of death since XP, but blue screen of death looks pretty slick in Windows 10.

Has anyone had similar issues, and had luck with a particular setting with the OSSC or in OBS?

Thanks


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:07 pm 



Joined: 06 Sep 2018
Posts: 6
EDIT: Oops, double post.


Last edited by pommel_jewel on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:34 am 



Joined: 06 Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Hello!

I had a little accident while putting together Tim's custom SCART cable for my NESRGB mod, and lifted pad number 2. I'm not super experienced with electronics, but I followed the trace and it seems like it leads to a via on one of the resistor legs. Can I save this circuit by running a cable from the SCART pin 2 (on the pin block) to this via, like I've done in this picture?

Thanks in advance.

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Aug 2017
Posts: 951
Location: Australia
pommel_jewel wrote:
Hello!

I had a little accident while putting together Tim's custom SCART cable for my NESRGB mod, and lifted pad number 2. I'm not super experienced with electronics, but I followed the trace and it seems like it leads to a via on one of the resistor legs. Can I save this circuit by running a cable from the SCART pin 2 (on the pin block) to this via, like I've done in this picture?

Thanks in advance.

Image


Scart pin 2 is R Audio input and id bet good money it doesn't go to that resistor.
Double check its path, it should be a connection to the R audio on the Din via the 3.5mm jack.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:07 pm 



Joined: 06 Sep 2018
Posts: 6
You're right, silly me! I didn't follow the trace accurately. Will re-wire accordingly. Thanks!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:52 pm 



Joined: 13 Sep 2018
Posts: 4
Hello,

I have an issue with my nesrgb : in some games the screen can get really dark, then bright again, then dark. It depends the part of the again.

This is kirby for exemple:

Image
Image

first screen is dark, next screen is normal.

Some games are unaffected

Console is a famicom AV, cable is gamecube cable from retrogamingcable.uk

Soldering is fine imo, not my first mod. Palettes switch is working.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:07 pm 



Joined: 13 Sep 2018
Posts: 4
Hello,

I have an issue with my nesrgb installation: in some games the screen can get really dark in some parts, then bright again and then dark on the next screen. Some games are unaffected.

Here is kirby for exemple :

First screen is dark
Image

Next screen is fine
Image

Console is a Famicom AV, gamecube cable from retrogamingcable.co.uk, original cart.

Soldering is fine imo, this is not my first mod.

Any help please ?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:03 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2018
Posts: 29
Location: Frederick, MD
I just started in on my NESRGB mod today. I got the PPU out with a little trouble. No broken pins or anything though. There were a few particularly stubborn pins but I managed to finally get them out as well. When I installed the 40 pin socket I couldn't get the solder to flow all the way through to the other side on a few pins. Thy're all good on the under side of the board. Will this be a problem or do I need to try to add some solder from the top side?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:18 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 671
Danexmurder wrote:
I just started in on my NESRGB mod today. I got the PPU out with a little trouble. No broken pins or anything though. There were a few particularly stubborn pins but I managed to finally get them out as well. When I installed the 40 pin socket I couldn't get the solder to flow all the way through to the other side on a few pins. Thy're all good on the under side of the board. Will this be a problem or do I need to try to add some solder from the top side?

Add flux? :P


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:37 pm 



Joined: 06 Dec 2017
Posts: 2
Is it possible to install and fit one of these in a frontloader, with the PPU socketed on the NESRGB but also having the CPU on the mainboard in a socket?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 671
sirlemonhead wrote:
Is it possible to install and fit one of these in a frontloader, with the PPU socketed on the NESRGB but also having the CPU on the mainboard in a socket?

Currently, no. As I understand it, the mainboard in the frontloaders is inverted, so the surface with the PPU and CPU is facing downward, and there simply isn't enough clearance between the mainboard and the RF shield to allow for the PPU or CPU to be socketed.

It might be possible to develop a no-cut mod, similar to the one now available for the toploader and AV famicom. At the very least, it would need to raise the mainboard maybe a centimeter/half an inch from its normal position. To accommodate a socketed PPU/CPU for a NES RGB, the mod would also need to increase the clearance between the mainboard and the RF shield, but I'm not sure what would be needed to keep it functional; an entire replacement RF shield, or just a 1cm/0.5in tall stamped metal square?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:38 pm 



Joined: 06 Mar 2017
Posts: 79
gounghoul wrote:
Hello,

I have an issue with my nesrgb installation: in some games the screen can get really dark in some parts, then bright again and then dark on the next screen. Some games are unaffected.

Here is kirby for exemple :

First screen is dark
Image

Next screen is fine
Image

Console is a Famicom AV, gamecube cable from retrogamingcable.co.uk, original cart.

Soldering is fine imo, this is not my first mod.

Any help please ?


You first need to find out whether the problem is the NES or the tv. Have you tried hooking the NES up to another tv to see if the problem persists?


Last edited by Makinx on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:54 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 64
sirlemonhead wrote:
Is it possible to install and fit one of these in a frontloader, with the PPU socketed on the NESRGB but also having the CPU on the mainboard in a socket?


Yes. Use dual wipe sockets, not machine pin sockets, and dispense with the RF shielding.


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:49 am 



Joined: 06 Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Hello again champions!

NESRGB is up and running flawlessly, just one issue!

The RGB output works perfectly, but look what’s happened to the composite out. Just white/gray silhouettes.

Any idea what might be causing this? Was thinking maybe it was a known issue with a certain solder joint etc. I should add that I also recapped my NES (PAL frontloader) when doing the mod.

Thanks in advance, have a nice weekend all.

Image Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:42 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2014
Posts: 429
pommel_jewel wrote:
The RGB output works perfectly, but look what’s happened to the composite out. Just white/gray silhouettes.

Any idea what might be causing this?

The RGB output causes this, it's normal. If you have installed a palette selection switch, you should have one setting where the RGB output turns off and the composite output is colored again, although the console may need to be reset first.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4748 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bratwurst, Google [Bot], parodius, RocketBelt, tongshadow and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group