shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:43 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157
 Post subject: Re: NESRGB board available now
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:40 pm 

Larrs888 wrote:

I really want to keep it tidy and not have a pallet switch installed and will probably ask for the firmware to be flashed with FBX's Smooth pallet.
Should I ask to have the caps removed so I can use a 470 CSYNC SNES NTSC Scart cable or order a CSYNC PASS Through

Hey thanks for the support of my Smooth palette!

With regard to components in the cable versus in the console itself, my opinion is to always defer to caps and resistors in the console and use pass-through cables whenever possible. For example: The PS2 has all the caps in the console, so I take them out of the cable. That's just me though.

NES NTSC Palettes: http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

SNES Serial DB: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HYLy_TTDop_FzuX6qnxuQI43upg4raXfno582taO744/pubhtml

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:01 am 

FBX wrote:
Larrs888 wrote:

I really want to keep it tidy and not have a pallet switch installed and will probably ask for the firmware to be flashed with FBX's Smooth pallet.
Should I ask to have the caps removed so I can use a 470 CSYNC SNES NTSC Scart cable or order a CSYNC PASS Through

Hey thanks for the support of my Smooth palette!

With regard to components in the cable versus in the console itself, my opinion is to always defer to caps and resistors in the console and use pass-through cables whenever possible. For example: The PS2 has all the caps in the console, so I take them out of the cable. That's just me though.

Thanks FBX, so do you think the SNES c-sync passthrough cable that RGC UK sell will do the job for the NES RGB with the caps left on the board?

Many thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:29 pm 

Is there any chance of an updated NESRGB board, or perhaps a firmware update, with dejitter support?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:28 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
Is there any chance of an updated NESRGB board, or perhaps a firmware update, with dejitter support?

↑this

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:17 pm 

Sorry guys I hope you can help, I’ve tried searching and I just need some confirmation please. Can I use an NTSC SNES RGB scart cable for the NES RGB in an AV Famicom that is wired for 470 c-sync with the 3 220uf capacitors removed from the scart head or remove them from the NES RGB board and bridge the connections like in Voltar’s video.

I want to get another Packapunch cable ordered whilst there is a sale on and then get the RGB mod after my summer vacation.

This is the one here:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pac ... gold-scart

Thanks all:) really can’t wait to get my AV Famicom upgraded soon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:52 pm 

Larrs888 wrote:
Sorry guys I hope you can help, I’ve tried searching and I just need some confirmation please. Can I use an NTSC SNES RGB scart cable for the NES RGB in an AV Famicom that is wired for 470 c-sync with the 3 220uf capacitors removed from the scart head or remove them from the NES RGB board and bridge the connections like in Voltar’s video.

I want to get another Packapunch cable ordered whilst there is a sale on and then get the RGB mod after my summer vacation.

This is the one here:

I use mine with an off-the-shelf SNES cable, much like you linked to there. You can either remove the components from the cable or the NESRGB as you said. In my case, I removed them from the NESRGB. You'll want to leave J8 on the NESRGB open as well, which I believe sets you up for TTL c-sync output (since this is what the cable expects). I've not had any issues with this setup.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:04 pm 

thebigcheese wrote:
Larrs888 wrote:

This is the one here:

I use mine with an off-the-shelf SNES cable, much like you linked to there. You can either remove the components from the cable or the NESRGB as you said. In my case, I removed them from the NESRGB. You'll want to leave J8 on the NESRGB open as well, which I believe sets you up for TTL c-sync output (since this is what the cable expects). I've not had any issues with this setup.

Thanks for the reply, I’ve tried to read up on TTL sync and think I’m ok with it. I was confused because RGC UK have changed their csync options from a month back and TTL pass through isn’t an option anymore. I’ll orde the 470 and ask the installer to set TTL output and to remove the caps:)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:03 pm 

heya hardware ppl, is there a "best location" to mount the extra voltage regulator that comes with the mod?

i'm to the point where i'm trying to figure out where to put what and i'd like to avoid cramming it somewhere it's going to be pressed onto anything.

thanks fer any help. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:17 pm 

vol.2 wrote:
heya hardware ppl, is there a "best location" to mount the extra voltage regulator that comes with the mod?

i'm to the point where i'm trying to figure out where to put what and i'd like to avoid cramming it somewhere it's going to be pressed onto anything.

My understanding is that that voltage regulator is intended to directly replace the stock one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:38 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
vol.2 wrote:

My understanding is that that voltage regulator is intended to directly replace the stock one.

i believe you are thinking of the re-cap kit, which contains a replacement. the NESRGB kit has an auxiliary VR that is intended to take strain off of the main one during use in order to prevent overheating.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:57 am 

You may replace the stock linear regulator for the L78S05C. It has a 2A capacity at 5V, more than enough for a NES with a NESRGB.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:58 pm 

flamie666 wrote:
You may replace the stock linear regulator for the L78S05C. It has a 2A capacity at 5V, more than enough for a NES with a NESRGB.

the statement was more about the "intention" of including the extra voltage regulator. time clearly states that "2. Solder wires to the voltage regulator. Check the wiring diagram for details. Both ground wires must be soldered - one is for the NESRGB board and other for connection to the internal NES voltage regulator."

and shown on his wiring diagram here: https://etim.net.au/nesrgb/installation ... am-NES.pdf

is ins/outs to and from the stock VR. to me, that is intention beyond shadow of a doubt to use both. the explanation given by tim is that using one VR heats up the area where the stock VR lives too much for the caps in that spot and could lead to premature cap failure

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4692 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157