NESRGB board available now

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ApolloBoy

Re: NESRGB board available now

Post by ApolloBoy »

Odd, I've used quick disconnect headers in all of my NESRGB installs and I've never had an issue (nor have the people I did the installs for).
leonk

Post by leonk »

ApolloBoy wrote:Odd, I've used quick disconnect headers in all of my NESRGB installs and I've never had an issue (nor have the people I did the installs for).
That's not my experience with at least 2 where I did NESRGB software updates on.

I was also generalizing a bit. I have a sega new astro city cab, all the buttons have quick disconnect on them. At least once a month I need to open the panel and reattach at least 1 button where the quick disconnect fell off. Think about it, plugs up, you bash it down .. how long can that last? :)

For my standup woody, I soldered all the wires. Never had a failure. :)
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

I've done an astronomical amount of mod-work with duponts..

Never, ever, ever have I experienced or encountered a problem with the "bite".
leonk

Post by leonk »

Voultar wrote:I've done an astronomical amount of mod-work with duponts..

I don't want to name names, or point fingers ... but I have had at least a couple of consoles that came to me for updates that were NESRGB modded by very respectable and known members of this community. They had one of the dupont connectors just sitting there, off the pins. No big deal .. quick fix. I was just making an observation.

Another console stopped working. When I opened it, I discovered that the NESRGB wasn't sitting down completely on the socket. This is why Jason of Gametech.us is a huge advocate of the gluestick stands (something I do as well) and BuffalWing 3D prints those standoffs.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/LPANRU ... 15e8924fa0
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

I was considering getting an XRGB-mini to hook my modded Famicom AV to my LCD TV. I've currently got composite video connected to pin 9 of the AV out, but should I connect CS# to pin 9 instead so that I can use it with the XRGB with needing a sync stripper?
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

I was considering getting an XRGB-mini to hook my modded Famicom AV to my LCD TV, but I'm not 100% on how to use it with my NESRGB yet. I've currently got composite video connected to pin 9 of the AV out, but should I connect CS# to pin 9 instead so that I can use it with the XRGB with needing a sync stripper?
viletim

Post by viletim »

Voultar wrote:I've done an astronomical amount of mod-work with duponts..

There's about a thousand different factories that can make these generic 2.54mm pitch connectors. The quality varies a lot.
leonk wrote:Another console stopped working. When I opened it, I discovered that the NESRGB wasn't sitting down completely on the socket. This is why Jason of Gametech.us is a huge advocate of the gluestick stands (something I do as well) and BuffalWing 3D prints those standoffs.
This isn't required any more. The IC sockets (socket strip actually) that I included with early NESRGB boards didn't hold the board tightly enough. Since mid April 2014 the IC sockets and round pins are matched perfectly to grip extra tight. I haven't heard a single report of a NESRGB board coming loose since then.
Marmotta wrote:I was considering getting an XRGB-mini to hook my modded Famicom AV to my LCD TV, but I'm not 100% on how to use it with my NESRGB yet. I've currently got composite video connected to pin 9 of the AV out, but should I connect CS# to pin 9 instead so that I can use it with the XRGB with needing a sync stripper?
No need for that. Just use the composite video for sync.
pidipajt

Post by pidipajt »

Does anyone know how much the famicoms total current consumption is with the nesrgb installed? And also the consumption with the 3d-glasses in use.

I am working on a mod and would like to add a new power button to a case. Had my eyes on this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flip-Flop-Latch ... 1486158073

Specs say the max current should be 1000mA. Will it do?
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

viletim wrote:This isn't required any more. The IC sockets (socket strip actually) that I included with early NESRGB boards didn't hold the board tightly enough. Since mid April 2014 the IC sockets and round pins are matched perfectly to grip extra tight. I haven't heard a single report of a NESRGB board coming loose since then.
Would you mind letting us know where you are sourcing these pins/sockets from? I actually need to get some extras for a repair that I have on the backburner, but I couldn't find the exact pins that you are using.
viletim

Post by viletim »

pidipajt wrote:Does anyone know how much the famicoms total current consumption is with the nesrgb installed? And also the consumption with the 3d-glasses in use.

I am working on a mod and would like to add a new power button to a case. Had my eyes on this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flip-Flop-Latch ... 1486158073

Specs say the max current should be 1000mA. Will it do?
It should be significantly less that that. I remember Jason/GameTechUS made a Youtube video about the current consumption of an AV Famicom with the NESRGB board and Flash cart.
darcagn wrote:
viletim wrote:This isn't required any more. The IC sockets (socket strip actually) that I included with early NESRGB boards didn't hold the board tightly enough. Since mid April 2014 the IC sockets and round pins are matched perfectly to grip extra tight. I haven't heard a single report of a NESRGB board coming loose since then.
Would you mind letting us know where you are sourcing these pins/sockets from? I actually need to get some extras for a repair that I have on the backburner, but I couldn't find the exact pins that you are using.
I source most parts from suppliers within China. Even if I did give you the details it probably wouldn't be much use to you. I can sell you some though. Just send me an email.
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

I've got an issue with my latest Famicom AV install which results in lines going down the screen as well as some other glitches in games (although dark backgrounds are more affected). I tested the NESRGB points for continuity and all the soldering seemed fine, so I then tried it with a different NESRGB board and PPU which were working fine in another console and I get the same issue again. I removed the NESRGB entirely and tested the console over composite and it worked absolutely fine. Reinstalled the NESRGB and the problem persists.

It appears to be some sort of issue with the Famicom AV, but does anyone know what would cause the console to work fine without the NESRGB and fail with it installed?

viletim

Post by viletim »

Marmotta wrote:I've got an issue with my latest Famicom AV install which results in lines going down the screen as well as some other glitches in games (although dark backgrounds are more affected). I tested the NESRGB points for continuity and all the soldering seemed fine, so I then tried it with a different NESRGB board and PPU which were working fine in another console and I get the same issue again. I removed the NESRGB entirely and tested the console over composite and it worked absolutely fine. Reinstalled the NESRGB and the problem persists.

It appears to be some sort of issue with the Famicom AV, but does anyone know what would cause the console to work fine without the NESRGB and fail with it installed?
It could be one of the address/data lines might not be soldered/connected properly. Test the continuity between each pin of the PPU and the NES motherboard. All should connect through except 2-9 and 14-17.
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

viletim wrote:
Marmotta wrote:I've got an issue with my latest Famicom AV install which results in lines going down the screen as well as some other glitches in games (although dark backgrounds are more affected). I tested the NESRGB points for continuity and all the soldering seemed fine, so I then tried it with a different NESRGB board and PPU which were working fine in another console and I get the same issue again. I removed the NESRGB entirely and tested the console over composite and it worked absolutely fine. Reinstalled the NESRGB and the problem persists.

It could be one of the address/data lines might not be soldered/connected properly. Test the continuity between each pin of the PPU and the NES motherboard. All should connect through except 2-9 and 14-17.
I tested continuity for each pin and they were fine. I also tried using a different NESRGB that was working perfectly fine in another console and got the same problem :?
leonk

Post by leonk »

It seems you're using an everdrive. Did you try using regular famicom cart?

Also. I would question your pin continuity testing. Some pins have traces on bottom and continue on top. So if you only test 1 source, you might not be aware that the trace is broken to the destination with pin sitting in the middle.
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

leonk wrote:It seems you're using an everdrive. Did you try using regular famicom cart?

Also. I would question your pin continuity testing. Some pins have traces on bottom and continue on top. So if you only test 1 source, you might not be aware that the trace is broken to the destination with pin sitting in the middle.
After racking my brains over it for a week or so, I remembered that GameTechUS had a similar issue a couple of years ago with a toploader. Turns out he had tried pretty much everything to fix it and after a couple of months figured out that removing the 2SA937 transistor just to the left of the PPU fixed the problem, so I tried the same on my Famicom AV and the image is now perfect!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzbHbUAjdxI
leonk

Post by leonk »

!?!

Why do people still keep them around!? That's the first thing I do!! Even before I remove the PPU!!! :)
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

Can't say I've seen any NESRGB installation tutorials that make any mention of them - even googling NESRGB and 2SA937 now that I know it's the cause of the issue only brings up one brief mention here from a couple of years ago. Obviously in any future installs I do, they're coming off straight away.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Marmotta wrote:Can't say I've seen any NESRGB installation tutorials that make any mention of them - even googling NESRGB and 2SA937 now that I know it's the cause of the issue only brings up one brief mention here from a couple of years ago. Obviously in any future installs I do, they're coming off straight away.
Yup. It's also removed in Hi Def NES installs. When I do Top Loader AV mods, I remove it as well.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Does GameTech offer an electrical explanation in the video for why removing that component fixes problems? Or did people just start randomly removing components and figured this out?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
leonk

Post by leonk »

bobrocks95 wrote:Does GameTech offer an electrical explanation in the video for why removing that component fixes problems? Or did people just start randomly removing components and figured this out?
Years ago when I started doing the top loader AV mod I used to remove this as well as the filter by the RF box. These are 2 components that are reused in the AV mod. It's a habit that just stuck. I wouldn't be surprised that it's some sort of feedback that comes back into pin 21 of the PPU.

I remember Jason doing that video and I was surprised by it. It's when he finally discovered why it was, it surprised me. Because I assumed he too was removing these components on all installs. :)
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I finally went and built an nesrgb for myself. Im keeping this one. I had decided early on that i wanted every available analog video option.

This one has it. It has everything except RF which i also plan to get working as soon as i get another toggle switch to shut off the nesrgb.

Heres a question for Tim. Is the nesrgb still programmed to use an on on on switch?

I think ill have to wire to shut off the nesrgb and still have 3 palettes to select using one of those.

It also has a Blinking light win.

I wanted it to be able to use standard cables, so no multiout.

I guess the only thing left i could add is IGR.

I also Spent a lot of time measuring the component jack spacing, but it still came out a bit off.

and yes, I did replace the capacitors. I saw a video jason posted recently. i saved a lot of time by not having to remove the rf box. On some of the mitsumi RF boxes, all of the capacitors are close enough to the big one, that you can remove the large capacitor and pick the rest out with tweezers. same goes for installing them.

leonk

Post by leonk »

I'm glad you're happy with your console, but why did you decide to not use a multiAV? It's standard Nintendo port used in Famicom AV, SNES, N64 and even GameCube. It's the definitive Nintendo port of the late 80's and 90's. It would have save you a ton of space.

If I were to use a Front Loader for my own console, I would have done a BLW + USA Front Loader IGR (the multiAV port would be in place of the RF). No extra holes required for switches or plugs. :)

Enjoy the console.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Because it's much easier to source raw RCA cables. More work at the front, less work for the rest of time.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

because i already have a lot of rca composite, component and svideo cables just sitting around.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Looks really nice to me aside from the slightly misaligned component jacks.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Einzelherz wrote:Because it's much easier to source raw RCA cables. More work at the front, less work for the rest of time.
Funny. I got a bin of composite Nintendo cables here. $2 at value village. $2 for the svideo cable on eBay too (aftermarket one)

It's your system. You can do whatever you want to it. I personally like the "stealth" look. ;)
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

but even if i used a multiout i still couldnt have component and RGB both connected to it. here, ive got a port for rgb too. Also was kind of going for the back of a dvd player look here. :)

and your right, its my system and this is what i wanted to do with it. :)
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Rather than installing the second voltage regulator, I recommend replacing the original NES's 7805 with a 1A switching PSU drop-in replacement, and then powering the NESRGB off the normal NES 5V rail.
leonk

Post by leonk »

mvsfan wrote:but even if i used a multiout i still couldnt have component and RGB both connected to it. here, ive got a port for rgb too. Also was kind of going for the back of a dvd player look here. :)

and your right, its my system and this is what i wanted to do with it. :)
I was wondering, did anyone ever attempt passing component out the Nintendo MultiAV port? One can also use a switch to select between RGB and Component (similar to what Playstation 2 does in the menu - switch between component/RGB on same video lines). You can then take your typical $10 SCART cable, and convert it to component + audio. The switch, I'd hide in the groove beside the EXP port cover. That's where I put the palette switch now for customers that want it.

Just an idea.. love to mess around with these consoles. :)
yxkalle

Post by yxkalle »

leonk wrote:I was wondering, did anyone ever attempt passing component out the Nintendo MultiAV port?
Makes more sense to me to use a Wii multi-out for this purpose, or even a playstation one.