NESRGB board available now

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
daskrabs

Re: NESRGB board available now

Post by daskrabs »

RGB32E wrote:
daskrabs wrote:Is there anything else I need to remove in order to get the NESRGB working on a top loader?
Did you jumper or wire up a switch for the palette? Have you checked PPUV output without a palette being selected? Double check the wiring to the multi-av output? Wire up NESRGB outputs to different connectors to test?
Palette is jumpered. Tested PPUV with no palette, no change. Double checked all wiring. Not getting sound or video to anything. NESRGB has been seated properly each time I tested. What is the likelihood I have a defective unit? I guess I need to pull the PPU and CPU and test in another unit?
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

I created a "noise floor" comparison video on YT for NESRGB audio and FamcomPA audio. I noticed that there is a lot of low frequency noise with the Famicom PA, but it seems to do a great job of keeping noise above 1kHz to a minimum. I recorded silent audio and then raised its level by 50db using Audacity's "Amplify" filter. I used the plot spectrum feature output for corresponding images.

Also created a sound test sample with a mild amount of stereo width separation.

Enjoy!
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Jeppen wrote:Can't wait for the Hi-Def NES kit by Kevtris, gonna be everything i ever dreamed of in a NES.. and more with minimum modding and not cables everywhere compared to NESRGB.
How is this in any way relevant to the NESRGB discussion thread?
TheRetromancer

Post by TheRetromancer »

ApolloBoy wrote:
TheRetromancer wrote:but is anyone else as excited about the hqx filter options on the Hi-Def NES board as I am?
Wow, this is the first time I've found someone who was actually hopped up about HQX filters.
Don't get me wrong; I love me some pixels sharp enough to shave with. But I think that the ability to toss a filter on the video is just as cool as having precise 240p video itself. Sometimes just having the ability to do something is enough, and I'm actually kind of interested in seeing how it all plays out.
"Thanks for the nice reply. I do offer to do work without hot glue too if people prefer it that way." - Drakon
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

HQX is an abomination.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

kamiboy wrote:HQX is an abomination.
QFT.
TheRetromancer

Post by TheRetromancer »

That may be your opinion, but that's a very strong unilateral position on a very subjective topic. Amend that statement to "I think HQX is an abomination", and I'll smile, shake your hand, and respectfully disagree. As it is, your statement comes off as kinda dickish, and I'm sure that's not your intention.
"Thanks for the nice reply. I do offer to do work without hot glue too if people prefer it that way." - Drakon
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

I'm not a fan of any sort of interpolation or "nearest neighbor" filtering. If I want that stuff, I wouldn't burden myself by playing on bare-metal, but an emulator.

No offense to anyone who digs the horrible (my opinion) filtering, but it's not for purists. It's more of an (again my opinion) option for the hipsters.

It's a matter of supply and demand, if people want it, they're certainly going to pay for it. And nobody can argue against that.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

TheRetromancer wrote:
That may be your opinion, but that's a very strong unilateral position on a very subjective topic. Amend that statement to "I think HQX is an abomination", and I'll smile, shake your hand, and respectfully disagree. As it is, your statement comes off as kinda dickish, and I'm sure that's not your intention.
I amend nothing.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Btw, speaking of crts getting old A few years ago i sent a complete chassis out of a wells-gardner u2000 monitor to the monitor boss and he rebuilt it for me. it worked great until i sold the cabinet.

I suppose when the pvms start having problems ill just do the same thing because i dont know all of the things in a monitor that should be replaced.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I have not seen much in the means of the Original Famicom kit here so I figured I would post my install and thoughts.

This is by far my favorite system to install the NES RGB in. The power board and port placement makes the kit a breeze to install, the only required case modification being the use of a circular file for the audio jack. The Audio sounds great and although I dislike the audio separation mods I feel including it on this board was a nice touch. The palette switching via the controller was also another great addition, especially since bumping the Famicom by flipping a physical switch could accidentally crash the game. The RGB port also uses the XRGB mini pin out so you can go directly to it if you do not wish to use a scart switch.

The only somewhat major downside that I can currently see is that you have to remove the eject lever. This however is not really a problem since it is harder to use than just pulling the cartridge straight out. The eject mechanism is a small price to pay for RGB in my opinion.

Also I had a problem with the sound at first, certain sounds were way too quiet as if the sound channels were improperly balanced (Mario 3 sounded pretty bad). I later came to find out that my power PCB was labeled wrong. I ended up having to run CPU pin 1 to the CPU Pin 2 pad and CPU pin 2 to the CPU Pin 1 pad. Once I did that it sounded perfectly. I am not sure what was up with that because the labels were in the same place as Tim's Tutorial. It is OK thought, once I figured out what was up I got it working with only a minor inconvenience (and no I did not just wire them to the wrong place, I triple checked it to make sure it was not just a brain fart).

One thing people also need to be aware of is the install instructions will not work with a GPM-02 Famicom. The kit should work but it does take a bit of a different way of doing it than what Tim shows in his instructions.

I was excited to get this kit together so its not my cleanest work but here is my install. I will be going back later to redo it and make it look good.

P.S. Fuck HQX
Last edited by Skips on Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer taking free or paid modding projects, please do not contact me asking for my services. Thanks :).
TheRetromancer

Post by TheRetromancer »

Skips wrote:I have not seen much in the means of the Original Famicom kit here so I figured I would post my install and thoughts.
Brilliant. I absolutely love the fact that Tim designed that second board to perfectly align with the original Famicom holes. It's just so...clean.
Skips wrote:P.S. Fuck HQX
Meh. I'll stand by my statement that it's a matter of opinion. Sometimes I like playing the original blocky pixels, sometimes I like filters. I view it much the same as scanlines: sometimes I love them, sometimes they annoy me. It's all subjective, and it's nice having the option. So what if purists turn their nose up at it? I'm not saying "itz teh best thng ev4h!!!!!"; I'm saying that it's a neat option, and it'll get some usage from me. Likewise, if you think HQX is the Spooge of Satan, then I'll respect your viewpoint, even if I disagree.
Skips

Post by Skips »

TheRetromancer wrote: Meh. I'll stand by my statement that it's a matter of opinion. Sometimes I like playing the original blocky pixels, sometimes I like filters. I view it much the same as scanlines: sometimes I love them, sometimes they annoy me. It's all subjective, and it's nice having the option. So what if purists turn their nose up at it? I'm not saying "itz teh best thng ev4h!!!!!"; I'm saying that it's a neat option, and it'll get some usage from me. Likewise, if you think HQX is the Spooge of Satan, then I'll respect your viewpoint, even if I disagree.

I was trolling dude :P
I am no longer taking free or paid modding projects, please do not contact me asking for my services. Thanks :).
daskrabs

Post by daskrabs »

Is there anyone that's done a writeup w/ pics on installing NESRGB in the US top loader?
TheRetromancer

Post by TheRetromancer »

Skips wrote:
TheRetromancer wrote: Meh. I'll stand by my statement that it's a matter of opinion. Sometimes I like playing the original blocky pixels, sometimes I like filters. I view it much the same as scanlines: sometimes I love them, sometimes they annoy me. It's all subjective, and it's nice having the option. So what if purists turn their nose up at it? I'm not saying "itz teh best thng ev4h!!!!!"; I'm saying that it's a neat option, and it'll get some usage from me. Likewise, if you think HQX is the Spooge of Satan, then I'll respect your viewpoint, even if I disagree.

Ah. I was a little surprised seeing that coming from you, Skips, but that makes more sense.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Skips wrote: Also I had a problem with the sound at first, certain sounds were way too quiet as if the sound channels were improperly balanced (Mario 3 sounded pretty bad). I later came to find out that my power PCB was labeled wrong. I ended up having to run CPU pin 1 to the CPU Pin 2 pad and CPU pin 2 to the CPU Pin 1 pad. Once I did that it sounded perfectly. I am not sure what was up with that because the labels were in the same place as Tim's Tutorial. It is OK thought, once I figured out what was up I got it working with only a minor inconvenience (and no I did not just wire them to the wrong place, I triple checked it to make sure it was not just a brain fart).
Huh, that would explain why mine sounded weird when I turned off the stereo separation.
Skips

Post by Skips »

ApolloBoy wrote:
Skips wrote: Also I had a problem with the sound at first, certain sounds were way too quiet as if the sound channels were improperly balanced (Mario 3 sounded pretty bad). I later came to find out that my power PCB was labeled wrong. I ended up having to run CPU pin 1 to the CPU Pin 2 pad and CPU pin 2 to the CPU Pin 1 pad. Once I did that it sounded perfectly. I am not sure what was up with that because the labels were in the same place as Tim's Tutorial. It is OK thought, once I figured out what was up I got it working with only a minor inconvenience (and no I did not just wire them to the wrong place, I triple checked it to make sure it was not just a brain fart).
Huh, that would explain why mine sounded weird when I turned off the stereo separation.
I had the same problem. Maybe it is not just my PCB after all. It does sound pretty bad doing it as the instructions say though.
Skips

Post by Skips »

TheRetromancer wrote:
Skips wrote:

Ah. I was a little surprised seeing that coming from you, Skips, but that makes more sense.
Not really, I am an asshole and despise HQX. I just normally keep the bullshit on places/sites that tolerate it and usually leave people alone unless provoked. Every once in awhile I do make a jab just to see what sort of response I get though.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Skips wrote:I have not seen much in the means of the Original Famicom kit here so I figured I would post my install and thoughts.
You see my post above? :mrgreen: I suppose that's really the only OG Famicom kit install post I've noticed.
Skips wrote:Also I had a problem with the sound at first, certain sounds were way too quiet as if the sound channels were improperly balanced (Mario 3 sounded pretty bad). I later came to find out that my power PCB was labeled wrong. I ended up having to run CPU pin 1 to the CPU Pin 2 pad and CPU pin 2 to the CPU Pin 1 pad. Once I did that it sounded perfectly.
Oooooooh.... I knew something didn't sound quite right. I'll have to swap the two CPU audio pins soon. Did Tim label the 45/46 pins correctly on the PA PCB? I found it interesting that both required connections despite having to cut the trace to pin 45. Seems like 45/46 are both mixed regardless of expansion audio - possibly for active noise cancellation? When I tried disconnecting 45 from the PA and played a non expansion audio cart I noticed a significant amount of noise on the output!
Skips

Post by Skips »

RGB32E wrote:
You see my post above? :mrgreen: I suppose that's really the only OG Famicom kit install post I've noticed.
Skips wrote:Also I had a problem with the sound at first, certain sounds were way too quiet as if the sound channels were improperly balanced (Mario 3 sounded pretty bad). I later came to find out that my power PCB was labeled wrong. I ended up having to run CPU pin 1 to the CPU Pin 2 pad and CPU pin 2 to the CPU Pin 1 pad. Once I did that it sounded perfectly.
Oooooooh.... I knew something didn't sound quite right. I'll have to swap the two CPU audio pins soon. Did Tim label the 45/46 pins correctly on the PA PCB? I found it interesting that both required connections despite having to cut the trace to pin 45. Seems like 45/46 are both mixed regardless of expansion audio - possibly for active noise cancellation? When I tried disconnecting 45 from the PA and played a non expansion audio cart I noticed a significant amount of noise on the output!
I know if both pins are not connected you will get some missing sounds in a few games. In the official gimmick carts if both pins are not connected you will not get the charging star sound. Not sure else what would be missing but that is one thing that comes to mind. pad 45 and 46 seem fine on the PA board.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Skips wrote:I know if both pins are not connected you will get some missing sounds in a few games. In the official gimmick carts if both pins are not connected you will not get the charging star sound. Not sure else what would be missing but that is one thing that comes to mind. pad 45 and 46 seem fine on the PA board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D60jzK9YZVo&t=2m30s

Going to have to redo this upload, and the "noise floor" sample. I noticed that the lightning sound was a lot lower than what I was expecting. Same goes for the lightning sound in the intro for God Slayer (Crystalis).
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

TheRetromancer wrote:
Brilliant. I absolutely love the fact that Tim designed that second board to perfectly align with the original Famicom holes. It's just so...clean.
Skips wrote:P.S. Fuck HQX
Meh. I'll stand by my statement that it's a matter of opinion. Sometimes I like playing the original blocky pixels, sometimes I like filters. I view it much the same as scanlines: sometimes I love them, sometimes they annoy me. It's all subjective, and it's nice having the option. So what if purists turn their nose up at it? I'm not saying "itz teh best thng ev4h!!!!!"; I'm saying that it's a neat option, and it'll get some usage from me. Likewise, if you think HQX is the Spooge of Satan, then I'll respect your viewpoint, even if I disagree.

Trying to get people to be reasonable about why you like a certain thing that they can't possibly fathom in a place like this. Doesn't seem like the wisest idea.

Personally I think HQX is nice depending on the game.
TheRetromancer

Post by TheRetromancer »

Skips wrote:Not really, I am an asshole and despise HQX. I just normally keep the bullshit on places/sites that tolerate it and usually leave people alone unless provoked. Every once in awhile I do make a jab just to see what sort of response I get though.
I see. Well, don't take this the wrong way, Skips, but I'm afraid you aren't important enough in the Grand Scheme of things to be worthy of my ire. As far as I'm concerned, you rank rather low on the list of things that upset me, right between broccoli and flat Root Beer.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Man, I could really go for some root beer right now, flat or not.
Skips

Post by Skips »

TheRetromancer wrote:
Skips wrote:Not really, I am an asshole and despise HQX. I just normally keep the bullshit on places/sites that tolerate it and usually leave people alone unless provoked. Every once in awhile I do make a jab just to see what sort of response I get though.
I see. Well, don't take this the wrong way, Skips, but I'm afraid you aren't important enough in the Grand Scheme of things to be worthy of my ire. As far as I'm concerned, you rank rather low on the list of things that upset me, right between broccoli and flat Root Beer.
That's nice, cool story.

To everyone else that is not offended when someone insults HQX, I updated the pictures in my original post with some better day time ones.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 3#p1080133

Yes the palette button is missing on the PA PCB. It was being pressed by the bottom of the case and is useless anyway so i clipped it off (was not going to drill a hole for something I did not need). Going to properly desolder it later, I just could not be fucked after a long day at work. I also ended up giving up the mic support and installing NES style extension cables for controller ports instead of the stock Famicom (my mic was broken anyway).
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

@Skips - I swapped the CPU audio pins yesterday, and yes, things sound correct now! Good catch with the silkscreen error on the Famicom PA!
Skips

Post by Skips »

RGB32E wrote:@Skips - I swapped the CPU audio pins yesterday, and yes, things sound correct now! Good catch with the silkscreen error on the Famicom PA!
Awesome! At least now I know I am not crazy. If I get these as commissioned work I will keep doing it this way then. Thanks for testing it.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

I also swapped the pins and it sounds perfect now, thanks for catching that mistake on the PA board!

I have to wonder now, is there anyone else aside from Skips, RGB32E and myself who got the Fami kit?
Skips

Post by Skips »

ApolloBoy wrote:I also swapped the pins and it sounds perfect now, thanks for catching that mistake on the PA board!

I have to wonder now, is there anyone else aside from Skips, RGB32E and myself who got the Fami kit?
I e-mailed Tim to let him know. Its a really minor problem but at a minimum needs to be corrected in the install instructions so people wire their kits right.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

ApolloBoy wrote:I also swapped the pins and it sounds perfect now, thanks for catching that mistake on the PA board!

I'll probably make that purchase. Just as soon as a find a pre GPM revision that's cosmetically worthy.